CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Favourite Bars

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Favourite Bars Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Favourite Bars - 11/21/2012 1:22:20 AM   
StefanAkiko

We've all been to lounge bars and various kinds of bars with a mediocre (or worse) array of bottles. I'm also sure that many of us have found a GREAT bar somewhere, that we dream of returning to, over and over again. I had a revelatory feeling on Monday this week when I was invited to a fantastic Bar in Yoyogi Uebara (Tokyo). The Bar's name is Milestone Bar. The owner, Mr Nishikawa, is an utter perfectionist with a service-mindedness that even with Japanese standards is superb. He carves, by hand, spherical ice balls for the whiskey-on-the-rocks ppl etc etc etc. And the selection in his bar is unbelievable. Here is what I had, all fantastic or better.

GT (Kingsbury Gin)
4 glasses ~90p red wines and small foods
1977 Domaine Dupont Calvados
16 yrs Lagavulin
1974 Domaine Dupont Calvados (Special bottling)
16 yrs Caol Ila
30 yrs Caol Ila (1979 Distillery Collection) ***OMFG***
Eau de Vie, Mouton Rothschild ***OMFG***
16 yrs Caol Ila
16 yrs Caol Ila

Returning there in early January...

So, what/where is your favorite bar?

"One for pleasure, two for too much, three for bed."
Salman Rushdie referencing Tignanello in his book: Fury.
Post #: 1
RE: Favourite Bars - 11/21/2012 5:01:07 AM   
wadcorp

There was a great bar in Houston back in the early 1980s.

Rudyard's on Kipling Street (I'm not making this up.) A British pub with everything you'd expect in a British pub. Yes, darts as well.

Most notable was the single best jukebox I have ever run across. It was loaded with alternative & punk from the period. Tunes you didn't hear on radio. Joy Division, Love & Rockets, Gary Numan, Ultravox (both John Foxx & Midge Ure periods), Siouxsie & The Banshees, Dead Kennedys, Circle Jerks, Minutemen, Ramones, The Clash, and more. Choice!

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to StefanAkiko)
Post #: 2
RE: Favourite Bars - 11/21/2012 5:20:43 AM   
S1

Phil--that Jukebox sounds like much of my LP collection

We have a beach bar here called, "The Windjammer." Buffet used to play it YEARS AGO impromptu while he was boating up (or down) the ICW. Hootie and the Blowfish played it before anyone knew them. It had great plywood floors and a well worn bar with a back deck and a rooftop deck. We used to take our dog out there to watch Monday Night Football. After Hurricane Hugo they redid the place with nice floors and brass rails (and can no longer take dogs). It's still cool, but nothing like the old days. It still hosts music gigs and the pro beach volleyball series.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 3
RE: Favourite Bars - 11/21/2012 5:25:29 AM   
canandi

quote:

"Most notable was the single best jukebox I have ever run across. It was loaded with alternative & punk from the period. Tunes you didn't hear on radio. Joy Division, Love & Rockets, Gary Numan, Ultravox (both John Foxx & Midge Ure periods), Siouxsie & The Banshees, Dead Kennedys, Circle Jerks, Minutemen, Ramones, The Clash, and more. Choice! "

Ah, you need to subscribe to Sirius XM and tune to the Alternative 80s station "First Wave" 

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 4
RE: Favourite Bars - 11/21/2012 5:27:25 AM   
Ibetian

My favorite bar these days is Shanghai Jazz in Madison, NJ. It is more of a restaurant and club than a bar. But we like to hang at the bar for a drink or coffee and listen to live jazz. They get some great folks too, John Faddis, Pizzorelli, et al. Wine selection is pretty basic, but OK and fairly priced. Nice people, fun joint.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 5
RE: Favourite Bars - 11/21/2012 9:32:55 AM   
wadcorp

Rudyard's is apparently still a fixture in Houston, but it moved to a new location years ago.

Somehow it's not quite the same, not being on Kipling Street.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 6
RE: Favourite Bars - 11/21/2012 9:45:46 AM   
pdhall

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadcorp

Rudyard's is apparently still a fixture in Houston, but it moved to a new location years ago.

Somehow it's not quite the same, not being on Kipling Street.

Rudyards is very much still a fixture in Houston. Great dart and live music venue, beer selections are strong as well.

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 7
RE: Favourite Bars - 11/21/2012 10:03:21 AM   
brigcampbell

Willy T in the BVI. I like bars in warm places with little clothing.

http://www.bareboatsbvi.com/norman_island_willy_t.html

< Message edited by brigcampbell -- 11/21/2012 10:09:05 AM >

Sincerely,

-brig campbell

(in reply to pdhall)
Post #: 8
RE: Favourite Bars - 11/21/2012 10:20:25 AM   
Old Doug

The Alpine Tavern, Moundsville, West Virginia.

On Wednesdays, the best chicken wings I have ever had. On other days, no wings at all.

If the Milestone Bar is at one end of the spectrum, then let us say that the Alpine is well toward the other end.

This is the Miller Light and Bud Light crowd; if they have wine I've never seen it requested, and knowing the place, that is probably just as well.

Yet - Oh! The stories, the characters.... 'Abe the Turtle,' hmm.... Where would I begin his tale? 'Crazy Joe Kelly' (now banned from the bar permanently). 'Hound Dog' - don't know his real name, but he's 93 years old and still has one beer when he comes in. He's a great home-brewer and distiller. You bring him a couple bushels of peaches and he will make you some stuff that will put hair on your chest and delight your tongue. Tattooed Danielle, Shaky Wayne, Delmus.... Yes, his real name is Delmus, the only 'Delmus' I have ever known, the only one I've ever heard of.

I've mentioned it before - what really stands out about the place is that it's a round-buying bar. It's not like you walk in, sit down, order a beer or a drink, and sit there in solitary isolation, oh no - you at least buy for everybody sitting around the actual wooden bar itself. It's much appreciated, tips of the hat and "thank you" coming from all sides. Before you know it, some stout-hearted individual has drained his, and back it comes to you - he buys a round. Then somebody else comes in, and now you've got 2 in front of you.

People come for the wings on Wednesdays. It's particularly brutal around 4:30 in the afternoon; somebody else comes in right after, and now you've got 3 to drink plus the one you're working on. And here come two more people. And so on... I drink fast, but many is the time that I've had to tell the bartender "No more, at least for a while..."

When it gets into the double-digits, many people are overwhelmed, unsurprisingly. The Alpine allows you to turn in beers that have warmed up for cold ones. You can also choose to get a token - a round wooden coinlike thing - that's good for a beer or a hard liquor drink, depending on the markings, if you desire. They used to use little plastic disposable cups, like what you get Jello shots in, but people were bringing their own in - they'd go to the store, buy a couple hundred of the darn things, and then try and drink for free.

(in reply to pdhall)
Post #: 9
RE: Favourite Bars - 11/21/2012 12:58:11 PM   
musedir

My very favorite used to be the Oak Room Bar in New York's Plaza Hotel. Deep booths, superb service and first rate mixologists. Walls were decorated with murals by Maxfield Parrish on the theme of Old King Cole. Then an Arab Emigrate Sultan bought it with egg-and-butter money and turned the Plaza into major league condos... Then on our annual trek to NYC last Xmas we were surprised and saddened to learn it was closed until further notice. One of the finest martinis in town and their Bloody Mary was a floating Sunday buffet inside the glass.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 10
RE: Favourite Bars - 11/21/2012 1:04:40 PM   
drycab

Tom,
I was just in that bar in October...it's open again!! I saw the mural!

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" Edward VII

I wish I had some of that.......
I did....I drank it.......

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 11
RE: Favourite Bars - 11/21/2012 1:17:50 PM   
musedir

Brad... Music to my ears! Marilyn and I are headed there 12/20-24 and its my favorite watering hole in the city... The Library Room may be my second.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to drycab)
Post #: 12
RE: Favourite Bars - 11/21/2012 1:58:02 PM   
Old Doug

Maxfield Parrish rules.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 13
RE: Favourite Bars - 11/21/2012 2:28:53 PM   
drycab

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

Brad... Music to my ears! Marilyn and I are headed there 12/20-24 and its my favorite watering hole in the city... The Library Room may be my second.

Tom,

I just spoke to a friend of mine who corrected me and told me we were in the King Cole Bar at the St. Regis, not the Plaza! I was confused by your reference to the murals by Maxfield Parrish which ARE in the King Cole Bar, not the Oak Room! Sorry if I misled you!

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" Edward VII

I wish I had some of that.......
I did....I drank it.......

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 14
RE: Favourite Bars - 11/21/2012 2:59:01 PM   
grafstrb

Southern California, USA
Naja's Place --- still the best tap beer selection I've ever seen (and they also have an amazing bottle selection), and I just like the beach-dive feel it has. (Redondo Beach, CA)

Roseville, MN, USA
Barley John's --- this little brewpub (gastropub) is kinda my old haunt --- limited range of super excellent beers; for the year I lived in MN between returning from college in MI and moving out to CA, this was my Cheers. I still try to go there at least once every time I visit Minny. Their "Wild Brunette" (wild rice brown ale) is one of the most unique beers I've ever had, and it is excellent too.

London, England
Craft Brewing Co. --- crazy-good craft beer on cask, keg, and in bottle. Prices are reasonable, too.

Stockholm, Sweden
Akkurat --- the best collection of gueuze, lambic, and other ageable beers that I've ever seen at one address; gob-smackingly ridiculous selection of bottled beer --- this place is pretty much the Bern's of beer.

Brussels, Belgium
Delerium Cafe --- crazy-long list of bottled beers; moderate selection of high-quality beer on tap, too.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to StefanAkiko)
Post #: 15
RE: Favourite Bars - 11/21/2012 3:06:23 PM   
musedir

quote:

ORIGINAL: drycab

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

Tom,

I just spoke to a friend of mine who corrected me and told me we were in the King Cole Bar at the St. Regis, not the Plaza! I was confused by your reference to the murals by Maxfield Parrish which ARE in the King Cole Bar, not the Oak Room! Sorry if I misled you!

Brad, you are correct... It's Ernest Shinn's murals in Oak Room and you are correct that Parrish is in the St. Regis.. I was too busy checking in just arrived wines and not concentrating as I should in answering the query... So much for multitasking.

(in reply to drycab)
Post #: 16
RE: Favourite Bars - 11/21/2012 3:10:16 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Whitstran Brewing, Prosser, Washington.  Great beers brewed on site and served with 2 types of pretzels, a pickled egg, or a burger, or something fried.  I eat lunch there about once a week, and sometimes skip the beer.  Also great for palate cleansing after a day on the wine trail.

Naches Heights Vineyard, Yakima/Naches Heights, Washington.  Our neighborhood pub, in the shape of a winery tasting room, but they also have their own Ale on tap made by Fremont Brewing of Seattle, serve tapas all the time, smoked Salmon on Friday, prime rib on Saturday, and Sunday brunch with mimosa.   This afternoon they announced on facebook free Vuja De Rose bottles to the first three patrons to walk in the door today and ask and my wife was on it like a duck on a Junebug. It's about 5 minutes from our house.  I now know what I'm drinking with turkey tomorrow. 

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 11/21/2012 3:16:33 PM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 17
RE: Favourite Bars - 11/21/2012 4:23:11 PM   
Paul S

I'm a cocktail person... so here are few of my favourites -

Pegu Club in Soho, NYC is good fun, as are Raines Law Room and Lantern's Keep - a small new kid on a midtown block. Just pure cocktail magic in these places. I also really love Bemelman's in the Carlisle for its murals and great jazz music.

In Paris, Prescription and Experimental Cocktail Bar are other very cool places that I like.

Ritz-Carlton Bar in Roppongi, Tokyo - a place that offers great views, nice jazz and wonderful mojitos.

Of all of these, Rock Bar in Jimbaran, Bali is probably my absolutely favourite for its out-of-this-world setting and great list of drinks - how many bars do you have to take a cable-car down a cliff-side to get too? Always a spectacular place for a sunset drink.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 18
RE: Favourite Bars - 11/21/2012 5:54:43 PM   
Jack667

Here are some of my favorite bars, along with the periods that I enjoyed them:

Old Pink Flmingo, Buffalo (80's to current)
Nietzsche's, Buffalo (80's to current_
New Pink Flamingo, Buffalo (early 90's)
Continental, Buffalo (80's to 90's)
Molly's, 3rd Base, Mickey Rats City, Mr Goodbar, etc (Buffalo)
Middle East, Boston (mid 90's to 03)
Jose McIntyre's, Boston (late 90's)
Terra Blues (NYC mid 90's)
Mondo Cane (NYC mid 90's)

Many more, but no time to think through it all.

Maybe some of those are familiar to others???

CT review 1 of my fav wines: "like a balance that's achieved with every voice shouting at equal volume"
That's not just my taste profile, it’s a life choice!
My Wine

(in reply to Paul S)
Post #: 19
RE: Favourite Bars - 11/22/2012 3:05:50 AM   
thesternowl

As a bar owner, I think it depends on the type of bar you're going to and for what purpose. It's been my experience that the best bars cannot be all things to all men. Are you going to watch some sports? Are you going for food? Are you going for music? Or are you simply going for a good drink? Personally, I tend to appreciate craft bars and I would define a craft bar as one that minimizes the use of vodka and instead focuses on drinks made with whiskey, rum and gin...and tend to make their own juices and sometimes, liqueurs. These bars usually have their own ice programs and everything behind the bar has its place. The bar tenders are knowledgable and unpretentious. The best that I have been to are:

Milk & Honey, NYC (there is a London branch)
Please Don't Tell, NYC
Death & Co, NYC
Cabin Down Below, NYC

...and there are a few in Omaha, NE that I would highly recommend to anyone who would be interested

Riyadh is dry as a bone, forget about it.

(in reply to Jack667)
Post #: 20
RE: Favourite Bars - 11/22/2012 5:28:45 AM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: thesternowl

As a bar owner, I think it depends on the type of bar you're going to and for what purpose. It's been my experience that the best bars cannot be all things to all men. Are you going to watch some sports? Are you going for food? Are you going for music? Or are you simply going for a good drink? Personally, I tend to appreciate craft bars and I would define a craft bar as one that minimizes the use of vodka and instead focuses on drinks made with whiskey, rum and gin...and tend to make their own juices and sometimes, liqueurs. These bars usually have their own ice programs and everything behind the bar has its place. The bar tenders are knowledgable and unpretentious. The best that I have been to are:

Please Don't Tell, NYC
Death & Co, NYC
Cabin Down Below, NYC

...and there are a few in Omaha, NE that I would highly recommend to anyone who would be interested

I went to Death & Co, NYC --- I thought it was excellent; I simply told the bartender that I like grapefruit juice, and to "make me something interesting, and he did! I love those kind of cocktail bars.

I've heard *excellent" things about Milk & Honey --- I'll have to check out the London satellite --- do you know if the quality at the London location is just as good as the one in NYC?

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to thesternowl)
Post #: 21
RE: Favourite Bars - 11/22/2012 6:00:49 AM   
ramwines

Best bar to catch American of European football "live" in Tokyo, regardless of local time... Hobgoblin in Roppongi.

Favorite pub/restaurant in Ascot, England, The Thatched Tavern.

< Message edited by ramwines -- 11/22/2012 6:09:57 AM >

Richard in Canton, OH and La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Nayarit, Mexico. Formally from Reno, NV.

The only problem with living in Mexico, my wine cellar is in Ohio.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 22
RE: Favourite Bars - 11/22/2012 7:51:29 AM   
pjaines

For me the best bars are about the ambience and how relaxed you feel there.

I love more down at heel, quirky places - preferabbly in some cellar or with thick stone walls....something timeless rather than an achingly trendy place. Something that is unique.

So long as the wine, beer or cocktails are good quality and the ambience is good then I am happy.

One of my favourites in Part des Anges in Lille, France (lots of wooden tables, simple food, HUUUUGE wine list) or in London I love Cork & Bottle which is a grotty little wine bar underneath Leicester Square. The wine list is average and the food is basically bread, cheese and cured meats but the ambience is serene and simple. It is a place for getting drunk and idle chat.

My new DJ stuff....

(in reply to ramwines)
Post #: 23
RE: Favourite Bars - 11/22/2012 7:54:34 AM   
Old Doug

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul S

I'm a cocktail person...

Paul, here's hoping that some day you develop an interest in wine.

Cheers, ()

Doug

(in reply to Paul S)
Post #: 24
RE: Favourite Bars - 11/22/2012 2:24:49 PM   
thesternowl

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: thesternowl

Please Don't Tell, NYC
Death & Co, NYC
Cabin Down Below, NYC

I went to Death & Co, NYC --- I thought it was excellent; I simply told the bartender that I like grapefruit juice, and to "make me something interesting, and he did! I love those kind of cocktail bars.

I've heard *excellent" things about Milk & Honey --- I'll have to check out the London satellite --- do you know if the quality at the London location is just as good as the one in NYC?

I can't say first hand but it's supposed to be every bit as good.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Favourite Bars Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote