CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

The Moratorium

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> The Moratorium Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Moratorium - 6/28/2010 1:18:49 PM   
khmark7

Thought we could have a thread for those of us taking a break from wine purchases, for any reason.  Think of it as the opposite to the "what have you purchased" thread.

Take a break due to upcoming Vegas trip, 2009 Bordeaux futures sucked me dry, upcoming Paris trip, 2009 Bordeaux ate my wallet, I have no more space, haven't worked my 2nd job in months, and I saw this new BMW on the road that was basically screaming at me to buy it....I didn't, but I should start saving money now.... 

< Message edited by khmark7 -- 6/28/2010 1:19:13 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: The Moratorium - 6/28/2010 1:51:49 PM   
rjonas

Karl - Glad I'm not the only one...    Not sure it's a solid moratorium, but have pretty much made a decision only to purchase some (not all) of my annual allotments for the rest of this year...I've been seriously trying to get my annual spending back down to something reasonable (for me...) and over the past couple of years it's been crazy out of control..

That and I'm pretty much out of storage space here at home and nearly maxxed out at my offsite storage as well...

I'm sure there's a 12-step program out there somewhere for those of us who are powerless against this "hobby"...

I'm not as think as you drunk I am!

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 2
RE: The Moratorium - 6/28/2010 1:51:52 PM   
dsGris

Hi Karl,
I was thinking along the same lines, except the Bimmer will likely be a VW TDI.  I noticed there are not a lot of buying recs lately and wondered if others have the thin wallet syndrome or just have too many wines to drink before they need to stock up or replenish the cellar.  There may even be some who have been issued the "over my dead body" ultimatum or it is "time to get therapy" suggestion.  I have lately been buying for my wife and get more appreciative support that way.  That is if I buy what she likes and not what I think she would like. 
Dennis

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 3
RE: The Moratorium - 6/28/2010 2:10:30 PM   
tacman

I was doing really well for the past two months ... right up until the Hommage a Jacques Perrin showed up. Once the seal is broken ...
And I've got Napa coming up in 5 weeks.

"I'm drinking some wine, eating some cheese, and catching some rays, you know..." - Oddball (Kelly's Heroes)

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 4
RE: The Moratorium - 6/28/2010 2:33:54 PM   
GalvezGuy

I am doing pretty well myself. Since my unexpected Cab clearance binge earlier this year, I am toning it down quite a bit. My consumption is out pacing buying right now

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 5
RE: The Moratorium - 6/28/2010 2:49:52 PM   
brigcampbell

I'm on hold as of last week.  I won a case of wine in a poker tourney and then I purchased a case of Cabot which I've been wanting to do so I'm done for a while.

The biggest problem is I really enjoy surfing TN's from my Favorites (not my wines but stuff they're drinking), that's a great way to find new stuff and find yourself in big trouble too.

http://www.grapestories.com/list.asp?Table=Notes&Favorite=1&iUserOverride=0&T=100

Sincerely,

-brig campbell

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 6
RE: The Moratorium - 6/28/2010 3:44:16 PM   
musedir

All three of my freestanding cellars are full, wine is in storage at several locations and frankly I just need to dump the 15 or so emails daily telling me about unbelievable bargains until I drink some more of what I have... still, I like having a good bottle of wine to open at whim... God help me, I guess I need the 12-step plan as well!

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to brigcampbell)
Post #: 7
RE: The Moratorium - 6/28/2010 4:12:36 PM   
khmark7

Yeah, my cellar is beyond that point where people come over and say, "wow, that's cool".  It's now in the "dude, WTF?" category. 

There are a few mailers that I might purchase from in the fall, but if I don't purchase anything until the end of the year that would be fine by me.  I want to enjoy my cellar, and not feel like I MUST drink in order to keep wines from fading beyond drinkability.  I didn't purchase anything for 5 months late last year, so I can do something similiar again.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 8
RE: The Moratorium - 6/28/2010 4:23:13 PM   
rjonas

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7
It's now in the "dude, WTF?" category. 

Hilarious... I've gotten that a couple of times....

I'm not as think as you drunk I am!

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 9
RE: The Moratorium - 6/28/2010 7:36:30 PM   
tacman

quote:

ORIGINAL: GalvezGuy

I am doing pretty well myself. Since my unexpected Cab clearance binge earlier this year, I am toning it down quite a bit. My consumption is out pacing buying right now

You need to show up in Austin with Hollowine ... I need some help with consumption

"I'm drinking some wine, eating some cheese, and catching some rays, you know..." - Oddball (Kelly's Heroes)

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 10
RE: The Moratorium - 6/28/2010 8:01:10 PM   
goredsox

I was just comparing my purchases year over year vs my consumption for the same periods on CT. I have come to the same conclusion as all of you. I'm drinking on average about 150 bottles a year, and buying 450. That was bad enough, but this year I'm on a pace drink less than my normal 150 and buy about 700. To top that off, I'm about to spend a week in Napa. I need help. Ok, here goes the first step. "My name is Peter and I have a wine buying problem." Who can help me with the next 11 steps?

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 11
RE: The Moratorium - 6/28/2010 9:08:45 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: tacman

quote:

You need to show up in Austin with Hollowine ... I need some help with consumption

Well, maybe if someone had a job that allowed them to play on weeknights...

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 12
RE: The Moratorium - 6/29/2010 6:15:14 AM   
drycab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

quote:

quote:

Well, maybe if someone had a job that allowed them to play on weeknights...

I do and its gotten me in trouble many times!

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" Edward VII

I wish I had some of that.......
I did....I drank it.......

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 13
RE: The Moratorium - 6/29/2010 6:30:54 AM   
RobRah

I have called a halt now too, also due to Bordeaux 2009, despite the tiny amount I eventually purchased. Probably until late autumn/winter.

I need my funds now to bring back plenty of wine from holidays (Champagne, Alsace and Croatia: can't get me enough of that Dingac and Zlatan Plavac Grand Cru joyjuice).

Cheers.

Rob.

My CT Profile

(in reply to drycab)
Post #: 14
RE: The Moratorium - 6/29/2010 10:43:13 AM   
GalvezGuy

quote:

quote:

I am thinking about a weekendtrip in July. We might be staying at a friend's lake house in Marble Falls. Do you have a night to play? There will definitely be a weekend trip in the fall to rescue my evacuation wines.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 15
RE: The Moratorium - 6/29/2010 1:46:11 PM   
tacman

On call the wknd of 30 Jul - 01 Aug
The 2 wknds prior, either a Fri or Sat might work

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 16
RE: The Moratorium - 6/29/2010 3:24:38 PM   
Birch

I've had a buying freeze in place for the month of June, and intend to keep it in place for the foreseeable future.  However, I was just offered 2 bottles of 1998 Latour and a 1 bottle of 2001 Ornellaia at $150 each that is going to be hard to pass up. 

Dana

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 17
RE: The Moratorium - 6/29/2010 10:34:54 PM   
NiklasW

I'm broke. I ain't buyin' nuttin'.  Maybe in the autumn next. For the first time since getting on CT, consumption overtakes purchases. 

(in reply to Birch)
Post #: 18
RE: The Moratorium - 6/30/2010 12:16:36 AM   
dsGris

quote:

ORIGINAL: NiklasW

I'm broke. I ain't buyin' nuttin'.  Maybe in the autumn next. For the first time since getting on CT, consumption overtakes purchases. 

I am curious as to whether the moratorium is be cause you have to big a cellar or money has run out. My position is affirmative on both counts. I must say that it helps when everyone is not bragging about the great deals on the superlative wines they have bought. Now I can spend my time organizing and building new racking.
Ciao, Dennis

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 19
RE: The Moratorium - 6/30/2010 4:27:55 AM   
musedir

The long-running thread for "smoking deals" continues to confound and/or trip up the best intentions of the 12-steppers in this thread... Eric must be laughing his ass off (as he continues to quaff young bordeauxs) thinking of what he has started. P.O.'d spouses seem to be a common link.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 20
RE: The Moratorium - 6/30/2010 5:10:37 AM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

The long-running thread for "smoking deals" continues to confound and/or trip up the best intentions of the 12-steppers in this thread... Eric must be laughing his ass off (as he continues to quaff young bordeauxs) thinking of what he has started. P.O.'d spouses seem to be a common link.

Yes, I avoid that thread!

Seriously, I always preach, everything in moderation.  To be true to my words I need to "thin the herd" for a while.  No human being or family needs over 1000 bottles....you just can't drink the wines before they go bad.  If I didn't buy a single bottle I would drink down my cellar in maybe 7-8 years....not including all my Bordeaux futures which have not arrived.  That's a long time!   Buying new bottles might be interesting, but I'm throwing my money away so I'm better off making sure I pay down my house and other related items before I start dropping thousands on more wine.  The occasional deal is nice....but everything in moderation!

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 21
RE: The Moratorium - 6/30/2010 8:06:36 AM   
TH

I had a plan about not bying anything in June... well I used 4x my normal monthly budget! So now it is nothing until december (must be strong, must be stro..)

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 22
RE: The Moratorium - 6/30/2010 8:54:44 AM   
caeleric

my wife and i are trying to survive on only my salary, so that means no more wine buying for awhile. we'll just start drinking through what we have until things get better. i stuck to that decision pretty well in june, so we'll see how the rest of the year goes. i need to find a rich friend in the orlando area who loves my company enough to pull corks from stellar bottles and share them with me to get my unsurpassed insight.  i'm holding my breath...

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

(in reply to TH)
Post #: 23
RE: The Moratorium - 6/30/2010 11:15:58 AM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

Yes, I avoid that thread!

Seriously, I always preach, everything in moderation.  To be true to my words I need to "thin the herd" for a while.  No human being or family needs over 1000 bottles....you just can't drink the wines before they go bad.  If I didn't buy a single bottle I would drink down my cellar in maybe 7-8 years....not including all my Bordeaux futures which have not arrived.  That's a long time!   Buying new bottles might be interesting, but I'm throwing my money away so I'm better off making sure I pay down my house and other related items before I start dropping thousands on more wine.  The occasional deal is nice....but everything in moderation!

Karl,

It really depends on your cellar strategy and drinking horizon. I would agree with you that if you aren't going to be able to drink your wines before they go bad then you have way too many. But in the past year or so I have substantially altered my purchases to buying less 3-7 year drinkers and more 15-30 year drinkers. I have been trying to buy fewer bottles, but increase my $/bottle in order to buy wines I know will age well (Sauternes, Rieslings, CdP, Classified Bordeaux, Port, Etc.) These are also wines that tend to hold or increase in value.

I enjoy drinking aged wines, I don't enjoy paying markup for someone else to have held it and aged it for me. Right now I have the good start of a 30 year cellar - I figure another 200 bottles or so and I will be at capacity and have the rough profile I am hoping for, and then from that point forward it is simply buying to replace consumption, and most of that will be narrowed down to wines I am very fond of.

I do think both of us could stand to host a monster party or two in order to "thin the heard" a bit, as I do fear some of my early days purchases are approaching their peak.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 24
RE: The Moratorium - 6/30/2010 3:38:39 PM   
musedir

At my age I have to be realistic and start thinking about 20 year cellars instead of 30... ah, youth

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 25
RE: The Moratorium - 6/30/2010 3:53:31 PM   
markandsusanw

quote:

I was just comparing my purchases year over year vs my consumption for the same periods on CT. I have come to the same conclusion as all of you. I'm drinking on average about 150 bottles a year, and buying 450. That was bad enough, but this year I'm on a pace drink less than my normal 150 and buy about 700. To top that off, I'm about to spend a week in Napa. I need help. Ok, here goes the first step. "My name is Peter and I have a wine buying problem." Who can help me with the next 11 steps?

I read this thread laughing (at myself) ... Until I checked my own stats and then I cried. After years of having approx. 75-100 bottles at one time, I discovered online wine ordering (thanks Supreme Court), then Celler Tracker, and boom, suddenly we're expanding our cellar (which is a very fancy designation for the 5 coolers we actually have) space to hold about 350 ... And it's still not enough. Our consumption has gone way up, thanks to all the yummy new finds, but we're still on pace to drink MAYBE 200 bottles this year (probably more like 175) and buy, gulp, 600+. Yikes!!

I don't even want to think about how much we've spent ... Even with majority very reasonably priced and just about everything >$50.

Every month I make a "moratorium" and every month I find a deal "just too good" to pass up or try something new I just "have" to have more of. I'm addicted for sure! (But to buying, oddly enough, not drinking.)

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 26
RE: The Moratorium - 6/30/2010 6:55:14 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: goredsox

Yes, I believe step 2 is that you must admit your sins to a higher power.  Maybe pjaines can help us with that   Scenes from Monty Python's Holy Grail come to mind.....

Oh the days when all my bottles fit into my coolers, where have thoust gone?

(in reply to goredsox)
Post #: 27
RE: The Moratorium - 7/1/2010 4:14:19 AM   
musedir

And step three is to recognize that the devil's temptation comes in many forms: JJ Buckley, WTSO, Wine-searcher, winefetch, Brown Derby, Big Gourmet, Canalsmarlton, North Berkely Imports, Capital Wine & Spirits, wine access, Astor Wine & Spirits, The Wine Shop, Total Wine & More... as you can plainly see its a daunting task to resist the wares of these sirens.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 28
RE: The Moratorium - 7/1/2010 4:25:34 AM   
musedir

For some silly reason I am reminded of one of Seinfield's most famouse episodes... "The Contest"... such is the nature of this moratorium.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 29
RE: The Moratorium - 7/1/2010 4:27:34 AM   
pjaines

quote:

ORIGINAL: NiklasW

Niklas - technically "I aint buyin' nuttin" is a double negative, which means you therefore should be buying lots!!!!!

As for not buying - I am broke as well therefore no wine.  It is a sad sad day indeed.  The taxman finally caught up with me and is not even bothering to apply lubricant.  Wine purchases are therefore near the bottom of the list.  Actually bottom if you ask my wife

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> The Moratorium Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI