CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, do you log it into your CT Cellar?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, do you log it into your CT Cellar? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
[Poll]

Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, do you log it into your CT Cellar?

Absolutely - if it's in my house, it's in my CT Cellar!
  66% (40)
No chance! I don't want anyone knowing I have that in my house!
  33% (20)

Total Votes : 60

(last vote on : 10/8/2020 10:18:56 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, do yo... - 1/22/2011 7:24:54 AM   
grayfont

OK, so you've had a party.  It was a smashing success.  Everyone had a blast, including your wine geek friends and your non-wine-geek friends.  The next morning you clean up and discover that several of your guests have brought bottles of wine as gifts to you, their host.  Several interesting bottles are among the haul, but one of the bottles is (take your pick - Two Buck Chuck, Yellow Tail, etc...).  Do you log it into your CT cellar?  
Post #: 1
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/22/2011 7:34:44 AM   
robnsn

I have a four foot section of X bins in my cellar which I keep wines I don't log in. Such as some of the inexpensive everyday reds, all chards and substandard future "cooking" wines. Why bother

(in reply to grayfont)
Post #: 2
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/22/2011 7:48:38 AM   
J2K

I don't log it. Not because I don't want anyone to know I have it but rather why bother with the insignificance. If I've never drank it before I'll probably log a tasting note just for the record. Especially just in case the gifter asks about it later

< Message edited by J2K -- 1/22/2011 10:32:04 AM >

(in reply to robnsn)
Post #: 3
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/22/2011 7:51:08 AM   
musedir

For the same reasons that I don't "add" numerous 1st growths to my cellar just to impress Lawrence or Wallstreet with their wonderful assembly of Bordeaux (we would call them ghost bottles in my modest holdings), I don't "hide" less than impressive gift wines or daily drinkers from my CT holdings because I wouldn't want PJ or Galvez Guy to deride me for my utter lack of taste. The CT system works because you know what's in the house. In my business object registration is not governed by object quality. Every acquisition has a par value entering the collection. It's how it will be used (or consumed) that will determine it's quality and once that status is determined an entirely different set of criteria take over.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to robnsn)
Post #: 4
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/22/2011 7:56:13 AM   
drycab

In my case, a bottle is a bottle and since I came to CellarTracker for its inventory expertise, everything goes in, no matter what. And what happens if I happen to like that "plonk" in the given situation where it's drunk? I then have a vehicle to record that whole experience. I see no reason not to record everything.

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" Edward VII

I wish I had some of that.......
I did....I drank it.......

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 5
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/22/2011 8:11:01 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Fun question, gray. I answered yes, because I have some wines I've bought that might be on the same level listed.

But in my real case I also have lots of my own homemade plonk and a few other homemade wines not in CT because they're not "released" yet or I don't know enough about them to enter.

I'd ask for another category to your query but it works asking yes or no to avoid fence sitting.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to grayfont)
Post #: 6
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/22/2011 8:18:54 AM   
drycab

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

For the same reasons that I don't "add" numerous 1st growths to my cellar just to impress Lawrence or Wallstreet with their wonderful assembly of Bordeaux (we would call them ghost bottles in my modest holdings), I don't "hide" less than impressive gift wines or daily drinkers from my CT holdings because I wouldn't want PJ or Galvez Guy to deride me for my utter lack of taste. The CT system works because you know what's in the house. In my business object registration is not governed by object quality. Every acquisition has a par value entering the collection. It's how it will be used (or consumed) that will determine it's quality and once that status is determined an entirely different set of criteria take over.

Firstly, i mean no offense by anything I'm about to say.

That said, why would anyone worry about what anyone else thinks about your cellar or inventory? I don't see any reason to bring it up at all and if anyone does have an opinion, why should "I" care? We're doing this for ourselves, are we not? Therefore it shouldn't influence what we inventory and what we don't.

That's all.

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" Edward VII

I wish I had some of that.......
I did....I drank it.......

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 7
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/22/2011 8:18:57 AM   
grayfont

As I'm sure you could imagine, the question was inspired by a real life situation. I answered yes to my own question, because I did in fact log in the wine(s) - but as I did so I actually had the very conscious and determined thought that I needed to make sure this exited the cellar before November so that my CT Secret Santa 2011 will never see it when thinking about what to put under my tree!  Then I started wondering on what occasion I would actually open the wine and whether it was realistic to think it would happen before November... hence the question...

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 8
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/22/2011 8:21:47 AM   
grayfont

Maybe there should have been a third option - "Nope.  I'll never drink it so why should I log it?"

(in reply to grayfont)
Post #: 9
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/22/2011 8:28:44 AM   
musedir

Truly, no offense taken.. I also do not hide or list bottles to impress or avoid critique because that is not the reason I belong to CT or list my inventory... names were mentioned ONLY because I am intrigued with their particular holdings of wines I admire and drink every chance I get, but maybe can't afford to build for my own cellar holdings. Entirely personal in all matters. But to the point, I think your answer is correct (which was the entire spirt of my answer), bottle inhouse gets listed on the inventory.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to drycab)
Post #: 10
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/22/2011 8:36:54 AM   
markandsusanw

The only stuff I don't log in is wine I plan only to cook with ... And, yeah, we were given some bottles for Christmas that went straight into the cooking bin. Now, if I even think we may drink it (or even pass it on as a gift) I log it into CellarTracker, just to make sure I know what I've got on hand. Originally, I tried logging the cooking wines too, but I'm not as good at keeping track of when I use them, so it wasn't useful, especially since they're all kept in one (temperature unregulated spot) and it's easy to see what I have, and haven't, got on hand with a glance, making CellarTracker totally unnecessary in that application. I also felt like it cluttered up my count and just made more stuff I had to wade through when I went "browsing" through my (online) Cellar to find something to drink with dinner.

For me, CellarTracker is strictly an inventory system (and great reference) not a brag book. Maybe because I have very little to brag about, not owning a single high-end bottle (and I'm OK with that; we spend too much as it is).

< Message edited by markandsusanw -- 1/22/2011 8:39:06 AM >

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 11
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/22/2011 9:18:21 AM   
bretrooks

I pretty much log it all, even the $5 prosecco that we didn't get around to making mimosas with, and I almost always write tasting notes too. The only unlogged wines I have are two bottles which were homemade (one should be quite good...the other, well, I'm hoping time is kind to it). We do try to go through left-behind bottles soon after a get-together, though, either via drinking, cooking, or re-gifting.

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to markandsusanw)
Post #: 12
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/22/2011 9:32:41 AM   
Khamen

I have a plonk detector at the front door. It automatically picks up vinous nastiness, destroys the bottle and gives the offending phillistine the mother of all wedgies.

Doesn't always work tho...

K

We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here and we want them now!

Withnail

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 13
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/22/2011 9:42:12 AM   
mclancy10006

I mostly log. Only exception if the plonk is opened upon arrival but the guest who digs it... Also still working on getting a honorable mention for a " tasting note to note" so sometimes horrible plonk make for good note potential. :)

-Mark

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 14
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/22/2011 9:47:39 AM   
adoban

Can you say, "re-gift." It goes with me to the next, large number party where there's lots of plonk. Unfortunately, not many of my friends are really in to wine, so they like to shop for 90 point wines under $10 -- sheesh! Can you say, "wine-snob,"...guilty as charged!

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 15
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/22/2011 10:13:53 AM   
LionGaucho

Sometimes I log, sometimes I don't.  Just depends on whether I feel I need to keep track.  If it's sitting out in the kitchen, then no need to log it--we'll have a glass each with a dinner and convert the rest to cooking wine.

(in reply to adoban)
Post #: 16
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/22/2011 10:18:54 AM   
BobMilton

quote:

ORIGINAL: drycab

In my case, a bottle is a bottle and since I came to CellarTracker for its inventory expertise, everything goes in, no matter what. And what happens if I happen to like that "plonk" in the given situation where it's drunk? I then have a vehicle to record that whole experience. I see no reason not to record everything.

I agree - even plonk gets logged and now and then it's pretty decent stuff (and often a great QPR). But some of it is still plonk!

(in reply to drycab)
Post #: 17
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/22/2011 10:23:34 AM   
J2K

Well the holidays just passed and I'm sure there were plenty of plonk gifts being circulated. Yellowtail Shiraz produces hundreds of thousand bottles per year and often surfaces during holiday parties. For the 2009 vintage, there are only 15 notes, 48 consumed, and 57 bottles logged into CT. You do the math......whatever the reason, I don't think most people log plonk.

(in reply to LionGaucho)
Post #: 18
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/22/2011 10:28:19 AM   
Bryan Collins

Anything that goes into my cellar at home, or into professional storage, gets CT'd. Odd bottles of plonk kicking around - nope. I've usually got a few bottles of wine in the kitchen destined for cooking etc, or for my parents to snaffle if they're around (they have zero interest in wine) - I don't track those, not out of vanity, but simply because I just don't think of them as wine - I'm never going to drink them, so they just don't register.

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 19
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/22/2011 10:46:44 AM   
geppetto

If it doesn't get consumed during the party, it gets logged. Want proof? Check out that fine bottle of Hardy's Stamp that sits in my Australian section. I have no clue what to do with it...

(in reply to Bryan Collins)
Post #: 20
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/22/2011 11:09:58 AM   
GalvezGuy

I always log. My friends know better than to give me plonk because it shows up at their next party.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to geppetto)
Post #: 21
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/22/2011 2:32:51 PM   
recotte

If it's mine--no matter how acquired--it's part of my inventory, so I log it.

For one thing, it's helpful to keep track of who gave me what, which may influence what bottles will be opened when different people come to dinner, to the extent that their gifts are somewhat indicative of their tastes and level of sophistication. I'm not going to open some of my best bottles for folks who aren't going to appreciate it....

The caveat being if it's gifted and consumed in the same evening, if it's not notable, I won't bother logging it.

--Eric

< Message edited by recotte -- 1/22/2011 2:36:02 PM >

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 22
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/22/2011 3:44:51 PM   
GoodToGrape

I assume that when someone brings me plonk, they are not expecting it to be cellared. Thus, when I receive plonk, I thank the giver, open it and put it alongside the other bottles I have opened for the occasion. When we have people over, I typically have a few bottles open for the occasion anyway, and the plonk almost always get consumed (though usually the last one to be drained). If it isn't emptied, then it simply goes down the drain...but again, rare. And my experience is that the plonk giver is usually the plonk drinker. Am I going to dutifully log it in the next day and make TNs? Hell no!

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 23
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/22/2011 4:58:32 PM   
skifree

That is the reality with any white Zin, Yellow Tail, or equivalent. Really, your CT buddies will think you lost your mind if you actually DRANK a Yellow Tail, and if you log it.... Funny thing, I talked about this with a co-worker who has a mag of Yellow Tail in the drink fridge - her husband tried to pull it out for an open house - "No way am I serving that to guests in my house!"

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to grayfont)
Post #: 24
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/22/2011 5:33:58 PM   
grayfont

Thanks for all the responses - what started as a curiosity on my part ended up really making me think...

While I would categorize what was left at my house last night as plonk, I also spend a significant percentage of my "wine time" seeking out inexpensive wines that I like.  So there's quite a bit in my cellar around the same price point as the wine/wines which inspired the poll.  And, of course, plonk is in the eye (palate) of the beholder (taster).  A few of your comments got me to thinking... I wonder how many bottles in my cellar would/could someone assume is the wine that inspired my poll?

If anyone wants to play, peruse here:  http://www.cellartracker.com/list.asp?Table=List&iUserOverride=113953

Which wine or wines inspired the poll?  You may list more than one...  (Oh - and I won't be offended when you start picking my own wines rather than the one(s) our guest(s) brought!

P.S. I hope my link works...

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 25
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/22/2011 5:45:33 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

I'm game... my pick.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to grayfont)
Post #: 26
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/22/2011 7:24:33 PM   
GoodToGrape

Here is my pick: http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=867687

Logic is as follows: Plonk buyers almost always purchase their wine on impulse at the local grocery store. This wine is commonplace on the grocer's shelf (usually towards the bottom), and frequently on sale.

Also, I applied the "Mary Test"...referring to my dear friend Mary, who is a delightful soul, one of the funniest people I have ever met and an absolute joy to be around, but she has one gaping flaw among her many redeeming qualities. Of the approximately 20 bottles of plonk that enter my home per year, Mary is probably the contributor of 18 of them. Of all the bottles in your cellar, this one just screams Mary.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 27
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/22/2011 7:43:56 PM   
caeleric

I vote for the 08 Bogle Merlot

Although I didn't see the beaujolais in my initial search. I'll still go with the Bogle...

< Message edited by caeleric -- 1/22/2011 7:45:54 PM >

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

(in reply to GoodToGrape)
Post #: 28
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/22/2011 9:33:15 PM   
MindMuse

I don't call Bogle plonk at all. I think they are one of the best sub-$10 mass market wine producers. Of course some of us by definition equate mass market to plonk, but I do not. I've had people contact me to ask what cheap wines they should look for at the grocery store for a party tonight. I may mention some others, but I can tell them to look for the types of wine they want and see if they have one made by Bogle, or Chateau Ste. Michelle, or maybe McManis or Columbia Crest or Concha y Toro, and they can get a wine that will be palatable.

Now, as for your challenge, I don't really see anything that strikes me as pure plonk on your list except for probably [link]this[/link]

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 29
RE: Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, d... - 1/22/2011 11:36:01 PM   
knuckles1970

I'm going to go with the 2008 Canto Petirrojo Toro El Curato Old Vines.

And I log everything.  Good or bad.  Gift or purchase.  I treat CT as a tracking device, not as a means to impress anyone.  But I will also agree with others, they don't often get drunk, but brought to other parties.  I've been to too many large gatherings where I bring a nice bottle of wine, and it sits on the counter all night.  Or gets put in their 'cellar'.  I've been called a wine snob, but I maintain that I'm just someone with good taste.  God, I hope I'm not a wine snob.

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Cellar Vanity Check: When guests bring you plonk, do you log it into your CT Cellar? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI