CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Super Bowl LVX 101 for Foreigners

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Super Bowl LVX 101 for Foreigners Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Super Bowl LVX 101 for Foreigners - 2/6/2011 8:13:21 AM   
Khamen

OK, so although we get a bit of NFL over here,and have done since the mid-80s, I kinda lost touch when Marcus Allen retired.

Hints and tips on players/plays to look for tonight?

K

We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here and we want them now!

Withnail
Post #: 1
RE: Super Bowl LVX 101 for Foreigners - 2/6/2011 8:30:50 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

On paper this should be a great game. Players to watch...

Steelers Offense: Big Ben (Ben Roethlisberger) a bit of a bad boy off the field, tank of a QB on the field. Has won one Super Bowl when a young buck (actually 2) Now carries his offense.

Hines Ward. Good pass reciever on the downside of his career, but in a big spot Ben will try to find Hines.

Rashard Mendenhall. Running Back that I think may be the key. If he gets going, Steelers can control clock and keep ball away from Green Bay.

Packers Defense: Look for the hair of Clay Matthews. He's a linebacker and son, nephew and grandson of a football family that were all great players. I think he's the first to play in a Super Bowl. Great story if they win and he plays well.

Packers Offense: Aaron Rodgers. Precise passing QB with a rocket arm who followed a legend and will make cheeseheads forget Brett Favre easily. He appears to be a classy guy too. Hard not to root for him even though I despised Favre.

Steelers Defense: Troy Polamalu More flowing locks and he's a gudied missile that flies about making plays everywhere.

James Harrison. Beast of a linebacker who has been fined frequently this year for hard hits.

As an aside, I honestly don't understand why the NFL has taken contact out of their sport and begun fining it's best players for doing what they have been trained to do since they were small boys. I know it's to protect the marquis players, mainly the QB's, but that's always been the game and the game has always had great QB's who could take the punishment and play at a high level.

I don't know much more about either team, but I think the key will be Rashard Mendenhall and the other names will be keyed upon by the commentators.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 2/6/2011 2:37:29 PM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 2
RE: Super Bowl LVX 101 for Foreigners - 2/6/2011 10:30:26 AM   
musedir

K - American football was designed to be a hard-hitting, cold weather major contact sport. The Steelers and Packets may be the two most "blue collar" teams in the leagues and both know how to play in the snow, which is what Dallas has right now. Pitt's QB is a master of picking the defense apart in his passing and running game and wants this win badly to help silence the stupid crap he did off season. Rogers is a bear! Has an arm like a cannon and is fearless. Is following a legend but is quickly establishing his own style. He just does not quit. Packers' offense terrace but Steelers defense is scary. I agree with Chris that this should be a most excellent game.

< Message edited by musedir -- 2/6/2011 10:55:16 AM >

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 3
RE: Super Bowl LVX 101 for Foreigners - 2/6/2011 10:40:01 AM   
petitblanc

Admittedly most of us Americans couldn't form a proper Roman numeral if our life depended on it, but I think it's Super Bowl XLV

I think the main thing to look for in this game is DOMINATION by the PACKERS

Tom

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 4
RE: Super Bowl LVX 101 for Foreigners - 2/6/2011 7:12:11 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Nice game... congrats to the Packers... my number in the pool would have hit at Steelers 32- Packers 31... oh well

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to petitblanc)
Post #: 5
RE: Super Bowl LVX 101 for Foreigners - 2/6/2011 7:13:32 PM   
musedir

Very lively halftime show!

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 6
RE: Super Bowl LVX 101 for Foreigners - 2/6/2011 9:41:04 PM   
skifree

OK, quotes from the teenagers I watched the game with. "Fergie is a slut". "That's Usher! He can actually sing live!"

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 7
RE: Super Bowl LVX 101 for Foreigners - 2/7/2011 12:48:41 PM   
khmark7

I liked the Chrysler commercial with M&M and the Droid Tablet commercial.

I don't know about either team being blue collar after watching the game last night.  Neither team made much of an effort to run the ball.  Then again I enjoy college football, and especially Big Ten football where the running back gets 20-30 running attempts each game.

The halftime guest appearance by Slash was fun.  At least he was playing an instrument.

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Super Bowl LVX 101 for Foreigners Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI