CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Friday First Pour

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Friday First Pour Page: <<   < prev  218 219 220 221 [222]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Friday First Pour - 12/8/2023 8:23:38 AM   
Paul852

This week a gin dirty martini at my club to start an excellent session.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 6631
RE: Friday First Pour - 12/8/2023 9:33:31 AM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul852

Cheers, Paul! Nice club. Are you a foreign correspondent, or do they let anyone join?

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 6632
RE: Friday First Pour - 12/8/2023 3:56:41 PM   
MindMuse

Two new creations for FFP. Upon opening the refrigerator door I spotted a bottle of unfiltered apple cider that Her Ladyship had purchased. So, instant theme inspiration. It was the common ingredient but I made two rather different concoctions.

Cide-Words Glance
A Last Word riff, this was about three ounces of the apple cider, 1/4 ounce lemon juice, 1 1/2 oz. Big Gin Peated Gin, 1/2 oz. Green Chartreuse. dash of grapefruit bitters. Shaken on ice, garnished with sprig of thyme. This worked nicely and you could use any gin, though I wouldn't go too juniper-forward. Brandy/Cognac or Calvados/Applejack would be interesting to try too.

Cinn-Cider Trading
This was for HL. I have teased her after she brought home a bottle of Fireball several months ago. I had brought up a bottle of Gentian-based Amaro I thought I might use as an ingredient, and when I saw the Fireball when poking around the spirits/liqueurs I thought cinnamon would be a natural match for the apple as well. I sampled a 50/50 blend of the Amaro and Fireball, and that seemed to work. What I did was fill a small shot glass type glass with a 2 ounce blend (actually about 60/40 in favor of the Amaro). I then placed a flat bottomed clear glass coffee cup upside down over the shot glass, slid it to the edge of the counter, and supporting the shot glass upended the glass-within-glass. I then poured the apple cider into the larger cup (and added a few drops of lemon juice), comprising about another two ounces. She could then tip the inner shot glass a bit and release the cinnamon-amaro concoction into the bottom of the pool of cider - titrating it to the level of spice and spirit she liked. Top up the cider if it became too "hot".
This was really good, and had a fun factor. The name plays on the cinnamon and cider, and the cider is from Trader Joe's. Plus, it literally does some insider-trading between the glasses.

... she uncorked it and put it to her lips. "I know something interesting is sure to happen," she said to herself, "whenever I eat or drink anything; so I'll just see what this bottle does."
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 6633
RE: Friday First Pour - 12/8/2023 9:34:20 PM   
Paul852

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte
quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul852

Cheers, Paul! Nice club. Are you a foreign correspondent, or do they let anyone join?

I'm not - there aren't enough of them left here to support a club of any size, so about 75% of the members are non-journalists. We all had to have our membership approved by at least a couple of foreign correspondents at some point though. It is a great venue in the centre of town - if anyone's out this way then let me know and we can share a glass or two there.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 6634
RE: Friday First Pour - 12/9/2023 5:38:24 AM   
musedir

2016 Delas Frères Viognier Selection Delas and my best made latkes ever.

< Message edited by musedir -- 12/9/2023 5:39:02 AM >

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 6635
RE: Friday First Pour - 1/5/2024 1:40:17 AM   
Paul852

Kicking off the weekend here with a very refreshing fizz: the Janisson Baradon & Fils Extra Brut. It's a bit of a steal at ~US$32, although it benefits from a bit of air.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 6636
RE: Friday First Pour - 1/6/2024 6:20:15 AM   
musedir

2019 Basel Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 6637
RE: Friday First Pour - 4/20/2024 12:57:39 AM   
Paul852

A rather disappointing bottle of fizz for me this week: Michel Arnould & Fils Grand Cru Rosé

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 6638
Page:   <<   < prev  218 219 220 221 [222]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Friday First Pour Page: <<   < prev  218 219 220 221 [222]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI