CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

What’s the Oldest Screwcapped Wine you’ve opened?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> What’s the Oldest Screwcapped Wine you’ve opened? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What’s the Oldest Screwcapped Wine you’ve opened? - 3/22/2011 12:41:50 PM   
grafstrb

What was the oldest screwcapped wine (as of the date it was opened) you’ve tasted? How was it?

Terroir is not a flavor.
Post #: 1
RE: What’s the Oldest Screwcapped Wine you’ve opened? - 3/22/2011 12:47:17 PM   
khmark7

I just recently opened some 2004 Australian wines that came under screwcap.  The wines had been stored in my basement, at ambient temperature.  I noticed nothing out of the ordinary, and the wines appeared to have aged in a usual fashion.   I have several bottles under screwcap, and I have yet to run into any problems with the enclosure.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 2
RE: What’s the Oldest Screwcapped Wine you’ve opened? - 3/22/2011 12:56:58 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Just opened this CA wine from 2006. No problems, normal aging.

Also, have opened this wine, which uses a glass closure. No problems and normal aging with those too, imo. They're a bitch to open with a corkscrew though.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 3
RE: What’s the Oldest Screwcapped Wine you’ve opened? - 3/22/2011 3:07:56 PM   
oskiwawa

1972 Tyrolia when I was in Jr High School.  I enjoyed it very much at that time
Okay, maybe not the oldest at the time I opened it but it probably was the most enjoyable screwcap wine I ever had. 

< Message edited by oskiwawa -- 3/22/2011 3:26:51 PM >

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 4
RE: What’s the Oldest Screwcapped Wine you’ve opened? - 3/22/2011 5:42:19 PM   
dsGris

We're going back a long way to the 60's with Henry's Rhubarb and Oak Knoll fruit wines before OR became Pinotland, and Gallo, Franzia, Cribari and any thing from CA in a gallon jug. The OR stuff was called screw cap if it was in a fifth or quart, any thing in the half or gallon size was termed jug wine. A benefit for those in a hurry was not having to find a corkscrew and who needs a foil cap anyway, it just slows thing down. We Americans have little patience, we want it and we want it now!

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 5
RE: What’s the Oldest Screwcapped Wine you’ve opened? - 3/22/2011 7:55:15 PM   
MindMuse

Well I almost opened a 2004 NZ screwcap Bordeaux blend tonight, but went with an 09 Bordeaux Superieur instead. Annoyingly, the cork on the 09 was so sh*tty that even though I had fully driven the worm the last bit broke off. On an 09 for crying out loud. I've really been encountering more and more poor quality corks the last year. Seems to me an awfully risky corner to try to cut.

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 6
RE: What’s the Oldest Screwcapped Wine you’ve opened? - 3/23/2011 4:43:02 AM   
jamjo

1972 Boones Farm Apple mixed with Strohs beer. I still have a headache from that porcelain bus ride.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 7
RE: What’s the Oldest Screwcapped Wine you’ve opened? - 3/23/2011 6:17:18 AM   
pjaines

1999 NZ Pinot (cannot remember the name) but it was as fresh as a daisy. 10 years of age had seemed to do nothing to it so I guess the question is "did the screwcap stop the aging process" or "do NZ pinot noirs age not really change during time in bottle irrespective of closure"

Who knows

(in reply to jamjo)
Post #: 8
RE: What’s the Oldest Screwcapped Wine you’ve opened? - 3/23/2011 6:53:21 AM   
recotte

'97 Plumpjack Reserve

Drank it around mid-2007ish.  Tasted directly against a bottle of the same vintage with a cork.  The cork closure bottle was definitely more mature and refined, better integrated.  The screwcap bottle displayed much younger fruit and stronger tannins.  In my opinion, the screwcap definitely retarded the aging of the bottle.  It wasn't bad, by any stretch of the imagination, it just made me wish I had waited a few more years to open it.

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> What’s the Oldest Screwcapped Wine you’ve opened? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI