CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Colonel - Dont go home...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Colonel - Dont go home... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Colonel - Dont go home... - 4/19/2011 1:24:58 PM   
TobyAnscombe

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatnews/7934439/Drinking-ban-for-Dubai-expats.html

The ban, which was first introduced at one British pub, now applies to all sports and British bars in the busy Al Barsha area of Dubai between 4pm and 6pm.

A police source said: "It has been the case that some premises have been selling alcohol all through the day and it was not controlled. That is why these pubs and bars have been ordered to stop until 6pm.

"It is a very strict rule and some officers without uniform are on patrol to see if the rules are being obeyed. If people are still serving we can shut the pub and hit them with a big fine. "

He added that the ban could be extended across other areas.

The rule is yet another example of the culture clash between the lifestyle of many expats and Dubai’s strict Islamic laws.

Though alcohol is available in the emirate, it is strictly licensed to licensed bars and hotels.

Residents wishing to consume alcohol in their homes must obtain a liquor license, while being seen drinking or drunk in public is a punishable offence.

All-day drinking sessions are however common among the expatriate population, particularly on Fridays, when many workers take long brunches at places offering unlimited alcohol.

The FCO advises Britons living or travelling in Dubai to “respect the local laws and traditions at all times and be aware of your actions to ensure they do not offend others' cultures and religious beliefs”.

Proportionally, Britons are more likely to be arrested in the UAE than in any other country in the world.

Stay in London and enjoy life back in the mother country!
Post #: 1
RE: Colonel - Dont go home... - 4/19/2011 5:37:38 PM   
khmark7

All day drinking sessions?  I thought the Brits had at least all WEEK drinking sessions.  Must be Americans.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to TobyAnscombe)
Post #: 2
RE: Colonel - Dont go home... - 4/20/2011 3:21:22 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

You'll be happy to know that my place will remain licensed 24/7.
They do seem to be inventing new annoying regulations (not laws as such).
Suspect the +64.5% population growth (mainly foreigners) in four years is leading to some tensions.
Emirati's are not the majority in their own country.
L.

(in reply to TobyAnscombe)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Colonel - Dont go home... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI