CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Pairing for dinner tonight

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Pairing for dinner tonight Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pairing for dinner tonight - 7/11/2011 3:37:24 PM   
Kermadur

I'm braising a rabbit, with onions, carrots & potatoes. My first inclination was to go with 2006 Pipestone Mourvedre, but I thought I'd throw this out for other suggestions and hoping the link below will get you to my cellar, not yours.
http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=60097

Thanks!

Post #: 1
RE: Pairing for dinner tonight - 7/11/2011 4:00:26 PM   
bretrooks

Hi! The link goes to your profile, but it's only one click from there to your collection.

Anyway, I made rabbit a few months back, baked with mustard/shallots/etc., and paired a modest red burgundy with it. Rabbit can be a little gamey, but it's still closer to poultry than to beef or other red meat.

Without having a specific recommendation, I suspect that something as big as mourvedre would overpower it, and that something on the lighter, earthier side would be a better match. Pinot should work well, or maybe a not-too-big nebbiolo or tempranillo?

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to Kermadur)
Post #: 2
RE: Pairing for dinner tonight - 7/11/2011 4:29:05 PM   
Stirling

+1 on bretrooks suggestions: unless the rabbit is very gamey, I think Mouvedre will be a bit much. I like the Pinot idea or perhaps a traditional style Rioja. Looking at your collection you have some tastey looking Cab F. That could also be a good pairing. Let us know what you chose and how it worked.

Bon appetite!

My blog: www.advinetures.ca

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 3
RE: Pairing for dinner tonight - 7/11/2011 5:41:22 PM   
Kermadur

OK, I think I'll probably go for a Pinot, which are few and far between in my cellar. One of the problems with my cellar is that it is heavily weighted with rhone varietals, rhone blends and zins. I tend to drink the lighter wines as I buy them, leaving those big boys behind.

Stirling - I'd open one of those good cab francs but they are in France. This leads me to wonder if we can see the location of others' bottles. I'll take a look.

(in reply to Stirling)
Post #: 4
RE: Pairing for dinner tonight - 7/11/2011 6:11:50 PM   
grafstrb

Prob. too late to the game ... whatever. For future reference: go Mourvedre! It's awesome with rabbit.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to Kermadur)
Post #: 5
RE: Pairing for dinner tonight - 7/11/2011 6:29:37 PM   
Kermadur

Not too late - I haven't opened anything yet. Thanks for the thumbs up on the mourvedre. And to add to the mix, I started wondering about the possibility of a grenache.......

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 6
RE: Pairing for dinner tonight - 7/11/2011 7:01:31 PM   
recotte

I'd say a Rhone would be just fine with rabbit.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to Kermadur)
Post #: 7
RE: Pairing for dinner tonight - 7/11/2011 7:18:29 PM   
Uncle Noon

I just consulted "What to drink with what you eat" and they have several recommendations: Barbaresco, esp. with stewed rabbit, Barolo, esp. with stewed rabbit, Beaujolais, Bordeaux- red, Chardonnay with grilled, Chianti, esp. Classico, Chinon, Cote-Rotie, Merlot, Pinot Noir esp. lighter and/or Oregon, Rioja, Shiraz, and Zinfandel.  I hope you find something that will make your meal special.  Please tell us what you decided on.  Salute.  Thanks, Frank

< Message edited by Uncle Noon -- 7/12/2011 8:00:05 AM >

non corber indum illeitimie

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 8
RE: Pairing for dinner tonight - 7/11/2011 7:23:37 PM   
Paul S

A Burgundy from the Cote de Nuits (say NSG, Gevrey or Vosne), Rioja and Barolo / Barbaresco are all good suggestions!

Are you braising the rabbit in wine? If so then the wine you use will be a good indicator of what to pair the dish with as well.

Sounds yummy already :)

(in reply to Uncle Noon)
Post #: 9
RE: Pairing for dinner tonight - 7/11/2011 9:30:14 PM   
pdemaio

got to go Piemonte for some rabbit! Barolo would be my choice but a Barbaresco (or nebbiolo, barbera or even dolcetto)

(in reply to Kermadur)
Post #: 10
RE: Pairing for dinner tonight - 7/12/2011 5:16:13 AM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kermadur

Not too late - I haven't opened anything yet. Thanks for the thumbs up on the mourvedre. And to add to the mix, I started wondering about the possibility of a grenache.......

Light or medium bodied Grenache would work well --- I was actually considering that Pipestone as a suggestion, but I think the Mourved. would work better. If you have leftovers, you can run it back tonight with some Grenache! However, the really big/new world/gloppy Grenache would run over the duck, I think.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to Kermadur)
Post #: 11
RE: Pairing for dinner tonight - 7/12/2011 6:23:24 AM   
Kermadur

I went with a grenache that I picked up a couple weeks ago in Murphys (Caleveras County, California Sierra Foothills). It was one dimensional but light enough that it was fine with the rabbit.

I make rabbit whenever I can get one, usually a couple times a year. I did not use wine in the braise, but did whisk in some dijon mustard in the stock after I took out the meat and vegies - thanks Bretrooks for that inspiration. It was fantastic.

Thanks all for your suggestions!

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 12
RE: Pairing for dinner tonight - 7/12/2011 8:32:02 AM   
GalvezGuy

As a big time hick redneck critter eater I offer my $0.02, albeit a bit late. Mourvedre would go very well with wild rabbit, but the farm raised rabbit you get at the market would be better served with with a lighter red. Pinot Noir (especially Burg), old Barolo, or older Rioja come immediately to mind. My new favorite way to prepare farm raised rabbit is to put it on the pit with a nice rub. It turns out wonderfully tender. I would probably braise a wild rabbit unless it was very young.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to Kermadur)
Post #: 13
RE: Pairing for dinner tonight - 7/12/2011 10:11:09 AM   
bretrooks

While looking up recipes for a tasting group get-together, I learned that rabbit and dijon mustard in a braise (often paired with burgundy) is a staple of provencal cooking, so I certainly can't take credit for coming up with it. I could see mourvedre's earthiness going with rabbit if it was wild and/or if red wine was used in the cooking; I just haven't had either of those apply in the couple of times I've had rabbit.

I'm glad to hear you found something that worked...

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Pairing for dinner tonight Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI