CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Wine tasting near Portland

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Wine tasting near Portland Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wine tasting near Portland - 8/13/2011 10:47:05 AM   
Gfinley

I'll be spending a week on vacation in Portland in September and would like to spend a couple of days visiting nearby wineries. I've had a fair number of OR pinots (Eyrie, Evening Land, Witness Tree, Ponzi, Bethel Heights, Domaine Serene, Cristom) and would probably like to visit at least a couple of these, but I'd also like to visit some less well known places. Any suggestions? We'll have a baby in the car so we'd prefer not to have to drive more than an hour.
Post #: 1
RE: Wine tasting near Portland - 8/13/2011 11:08:35 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

My favorite areas within Willamette (after being referred there by CTer's) are Dundee Hills and Ribbon Ridge. These are within a tight radius once you get there, about 45 minutes south and a bit west of Portland Downtown.

Near Domaine Serene in Dundee Hills are De Ponte, Archery Summit, Torii Mor, and Domaine Droughin.

In Ribbon Ridge are Ayres, Bergstrom, Adelsheim, Brick House and Triseatum. Some more known than others, all have public tasting rooms except for Ayres (I think) but a call ahead is a good idea, IMO.

If you go to Ponzi, David Hill is in that general vicinity. Wines are so-so in my opinion, but the setting and views from the winery are killer.

There is a thread somewhere on here about babies in Tasting Rooms, some pro/some con. I've seen many babies, toddlers, and kids up to 10 happily touring wineries in Willamette Valley with parents, but that is your call.

EDIT TO ADD A THREAD WHERE I ASKED SIMILAR QUESTION AND GOT GOOD HELP A WHILE BACK.

LINK HERE

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 8/13/2011 11:23:18 AM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to Gfinley)
Post #: 2
RE: Wine tasting near Portland - 8/14/2011 4:40:16 PM   
Atwellian

All of Chris's suggestions are good ones. For a less well known place you might also try Laura Volkman http://www.volkmanvineyards.com/ Laura is great and you and your family would definitely feel at home there. You should email her with your dates though as she is not open all the time. Have a great trip!

(in reply to Gfinley)
Post #: 3
RE: Wine tasting near Portland - 8/14/2011 8:53:46 PM   
Stirling

+1 on Chris's suggestions for wineries.

If you are staying in the city of Portland, there is a great wine shop and tasting bar called Oregon Wines on Broadway. A great selection of wines to purchase and always a bunch of top Pinots available to be poured by the glass. Fun atmosphere too. 515 Broadway in downtown Portland.

My blog: www.advinetures.ca

(in reply to Atwellian)
Post #: 4
RE: Wine tasting near Portland - 8/14/2011 8:53:47 PM   
Stirling

deleted duplicate.

< Message edited by Stirling -- 8/16/2011 9:10:41 PM >

My blog: www.advinetures.ca

(in reply to Atwellian)
Post #: 5
RE: Wine tasting near Portland - 8/15/2011 1:46:30 AM   
pdemaio

Chris' choices are good. I'd definitely hit bergstrom for price to performance...

(in reply to Stirling)
Post #: 6
RE: Wine tasting near Portland - 8/15/2011 6:14:21 PM   
Atwellian

There's also this in Portland if the dates work for you:

Event Name Pinot in the City

Event Dates Saturday, September 10 and Sunday, September 11

Event Time 2-6pm

Event Location NW 9th and Marshall - In the Pearl

Tickets One day ticket: $60 ($50 Earlybird special until August 9)

Two day tickets: $90 ($75 Earlybird special until August 9)

Advance tickets available at www.willamettewines.com/events/pinot-in-the-city/

Tickets include: wine, event wine glass, samplings from local food purveyors and restaurants, tasting booklet, event day touring map, and Guide to Willamette Valley Wineries Map.

Join us for two spectacular days of Willamette Valley wines, winemakers and food. For the first time, ABC Winerymore than 100 Willamette Valley wineries will converge on Portland and transform one urban block into a wine country experience.

Sample new and current releases from more than 50 different wineries each day. Taste the local flavors from Willamette Valley food purveyors and restaurants. Get a ‘behind the scenes’ look at wine growing and winemaking. Meet a barrel maker. Get the real dirt on soils and wine. Check out a bottling line. Enjoy other interesting wine-related exhibits and book signings by local authors.

Get a taste of the Willamette Valley without leaving the city limits.

Enjoy a wine country experience in Portland’s backyard.

Event Dates Saturday, September 10 and Sunday, September 11

Event Time Gates open at 1:30pm for trade tasting.

(Gates open to general public at 2pm.)

Event Location NW 9th and Marshall, Portland, OR

And Laura is open the 3 days of Labor Day weekend.

(in reply to pdemaio)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Wine tasting near Portland Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI