CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Are some grapes more equal than other grapes?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Are some grapes more equal than other grapes? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Are some grapes more equal than other grapes? - 8/30/2011 6:24:47 PM   
ikileo

Are all grapes equal in the sense that they have the potential to make great wine thereby relying on other factors like the climate, soil, winemaker etc...?

Or are some grapes just better at being produced as wine while others struggle due to poor characteristics like low acidity etc...

in recent years, some blending grapes have come out on their own to be nice representations of their varietals. Are blending grapes < non-blending grapes?

i am curious to know.

A bottle a day keeps my money away.
Post #: 1
RE: Are some grapes more equal than other grapes? - 8/30/2011 6:37:00 PM   
MindMuse

Some are typically considered inherently superior. Hence, "Noble" grape varieties.

That being said, in the right place and the right hands lots of varieties can be outstanding.

... she uncorked it and put it to her lips. "I know something interesting is sure to happen," she said to herself, "whenever I eat or drink anything; so I'll just see what this bottle does."
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

(in reply to ikileo)
Post #: 2
RE: Are some grapes more equal than other grapes? - 8/31/2011 1:10:32 AM   
pjaines

Some are more adept at showing complexity and nuance - others are fine for simple quaffers - muscadet for example (or more accurately the Melon de Borgonge grape). As for Pinotage..well.....

My new DJ stuff....

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 3
RE: Are some grapes more equal than other grapes? - 8/31/2011 5:05:15 AM   
Bryan Collins

Certainly. Pinot Noir, Nebbiolo and Riesling constitute the Royal Family. Everything else is peasantry. Easy, innit

They're underneath the house, where I do quite a bit of stowin'...

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 4
RE: Are some grapes more equal than other grapes? - 8/31/2011 8:38:46 AM   
Pontac

quote:

ORIGINAL: ikileo

Are all grapes equal in the sense that they have the potential to make great wine thereby relying on other factors like the climate, soil, winemaker etc...?

Great question.

First is that not all grapes are equal, those from Vitis Vinifera are generally (and legally in the EU) considered superior for wine making.

quote:

Here comes the tricky part - define a 'great' wine. And that has to be a matter of taste,A great grape variety is one that is liked by most people - or at least - most critics.

quote:

Or are some grapes just better at being produced as wine while others struggle due to poor characteristics like low acidity etc...

Grapes that don't grow well don't tend to get grown. 'Poor' (define poor) characteristics can be overcome by good winemaking. Take Riesling -- a variety that almost no one drinks yet is highly praised by some -- is unbalanced in having tremendously high acidity yet winemaking techniques such as stopping fermentation early to leave a lot of balancing residual sugar can make it palatable.

quote:

in recent years, some blending grapes have come out on their own to be nice representations of their varietals. Are blending grapes < non-blending grapes?

Again a loaded question- what is a blending grape? Vognier was used primarily as a blending grape in the Rhone and grown virtually no where outsdie Condrieu as a varietal and yet now it is prized as a varietal. In Bordeaux Cabernet Sauvignonis is still primarily a blending grape.

All that is certain is that fashions change over generations and that some varieties that were prized 100 years ago aren't now, and some which weren't rated then are now, and in another 100 years it will all have changed again.

The only thing certain that won' thave changed is that in 100 years a small group of enthusiasts will be forecasting an imminent Riesling revival :)

< Message edited by Pontac -- 8/31/2011 8:40:05 AM >

(in reply to ikileo)
Post #: 5
RE: Are some grapes more equal than other grapes? - 8/31/2011 9:42:18 AM   
jeff leve

All grapes are not equal. Some adapt better to certain terroirs than others. Some berries are more concentrated than others with a higher juice to skin ratio. They can ripen at different sugar levels. Some fruit are better for blending and others work well as stand alone grapes.

For a quick glance at a few of the more popular varities and their terrors...

http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/wine-topics/wine-educational-questions/grapes-for-wine-making-flavor-characteristics-explained/

www.thewinecellarinsider.com

(in reply to Pontac)
Post #: 6
RE: Are some grapes more equal than other grapes? - 8/31/2011 11:04:21 AM   
gbm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pontac

Take Riesling -- a variety that almost no one drinks yet is highly praised by some

Ouch!     I know, I know - it's out of context, but it made me laugh.

Greg

(in reply to Pontac)
Post #: 7
RE: Are some grapes more equal than other grapes? - 8/31/2011 11:10:02 AM   
DieterM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bryan Collins

Certainly. Pinot Noir, Nebbiolo and Riesling constitute the Royal Family. Everything else is peasantry. Easy, innit

Hear hear!!

I would like to see Chardonnay as nobility for growing on the Cote des Blanc.

< Message edited by DieterM -- 8/31/2011 11:15:26 AM >

(in reply to Bryan Collins)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Are some grapes more equal than other grapes? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI