CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Proposal: Shiraz-Viognier

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> Wine Data Errors & Corrections >> Proposal: Shiraz-Viognier Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Proposal: Shiraz-Viognier - 12/24/2007 6:41:09 PM   
iByron

I'm proposing the creation of a "Shiraz-Viognier" entry in the varietal table.

The Shiraz-Viognier blend is a standard product from Australian winemakers: an "all data" search for the "shiraz viognier" yields 183 entries with literally 99% of them from Australia. It's practically an Australian signature at this point. Wineries in South Africa, New Zealand, the US, and France (curiously only Languedoc Roussillon appears in the database) also produce this blend. With 5,888 bottles with 56 pending, it's a safe bet that it will be used.

We already have entries like "Cabernet-Merlot" and "Sémillon-Sauvignon Blanc Blend" (both of which could be considered respectively red or white "Bordeaux Blends"), and even a "Cabernet-Carmenère Blend" entry (the search for which yields only 145 results) so there is precedent.

Byron
Post #: 1
RE: Proposal: Shiraz-Viognier - 12/26/2007 10:14:13 AM   
QwertyMIDX

It's actually common to the Northern Rhone too.  Most of the big Northern Rhone appelation reds are actually 85-97% Syrah with the remainder being Viognier.  The Austrilian thing is them doing the faux Rhone blends they've gotten so into (and often good at).

(in reply to iByron)
Post #: 2
RE: Proposal: Shiraz-Viognier - 12/26/2007 10:22:33 AM   
Pontac

Actually, its not a blend in the traditional sense, but co-fermentation, and the percentage of Viognier used is very small <5%.

A blend would lighten the colour of the Syrah, but co-fermentation actual deepens and fixes colour.

(in reply to QwertyMIDX)
Post #: 3
RE: Proposal: Shiraz-Viognier - 12/26/2007 10:45:03 AM   
QwertyMIDX

Well its a field blend and is indeed co-fermented, but its not like that is unique to the Northern Rhone, its the nature of field blends.  Even those Ridge Zin blends are co-fermented field blends as are, of course, plenty of bordeauxs.  Also, while the percentages are often below 5%, can get quite high too.  Cote-Rotie for example allows up to 20%. For example a Philippe Faury Cote-Rotie I had a few months ago was up near 15% if I remember correctly.

(in reply to Pontac)
Post #: 4
RE: Proposal: Shiraz-Viognier - 12/26/2007 2:33:26 PM   
Pontac

quote:

ORIGINAL: QwertyMIDX

Well its a field blend and is indeed co-fermented, 

I ts unlikely any of the new-world Shiraz/Viogniers are field blends.

I'm also not convinced that many (if any) Bordeaux's are field blends since the varieties ripen at different times,

(in reply to QwertyMIDX)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> Wine Data Errors & Corrections >> Proposal: Shiraz-Viognier Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI