CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Figeac Substitutes???

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Figeac Substitutes??? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Figeac Substitutes??? - 5/27/2012 4:13:23 AM   
slaughterer

Figeac has gotten too expensive, along with all the other greedy Bordeaux in recent vintages. What are stylistically-similar reasonably-priced BDX substititutes? La Dominique? Jean Faux? Certan May? Or just back-vintages of Figeac before pjaines and Khamen buy them all up in the secondary market?

< Message edited by slaughterer -- 5/27/2012 4:14:11 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Figeac Substitutes??? - 5/27/2012 4:15:12 AM   
Khamen

Back vintages are universally awful and should be avoided

K

We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here and we want them now!

Withnail

(in reply to slaughterer)
Post #: 2
RE: Figeac Substitutes??? - 5/27/2012 4:17:45 AM   
slaughterer

Especially the 1998.

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 3
RE: Figeac Substitutes??? - 5/27/2012 4:19:35 AM   
slaughterer

Seriously though, for example, is La Dominique 2009 a more fruity, modern Figeac at 15% the price? Figeac was always sort of a unique case in Bordeaux, but it seems some producers nowadays are trying to produce Figeac-like wines.

Post #: 4
RE: Figeac Substitutes??? - 5/27/2012 4:20:32 AM   
S1

just buy more Perrot-Minot

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

Post #: 5
RE: Figeac Substitutes??? - 5/27/2012 4:24:53 AM   
slaughterer

I am already doing that: but going bankrupt is no fun.
I was hoping to get in on the ground floor of some BDX Figeac clone, if there is any. Seems like a good marketing choice for long-lost Saint Emilion to produce a low-budget Figeac imitation.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 6
RE: Figeac Substitutes??? - 5/27/2012 4:37:29 AM   
Khamen

Sorry i was being mean, but people make me nervous when they go out and buy Figeac when i have no room.

As i'm sure u know the thing about Figeac is the high proportion of cabs in the blend (70% or so is the norm). A very fine alternative is the very close neighbour in Pomerol VCC but this is hardly the bargain option.

If it has to be St Emillion then there are a vast number of producers, but the Figeac style is pretty unique. If u are looking for an absolute bargain St Emillion then Laroque is surprisingly good for the money. U may also want to try something like Destieux or Grande Mayne. These are all more merlot-heavy

However, for an alternate i am heading west. For value then Dom de Chevalier can't be beaten, but my choice, maybe bizzarely is a Margaux - Brane Cantenac

If u want to go bonkers left field then leave France altogether and try Paleo Rosso from Macchiole in Tuscany. Random!

K

We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here and we want them now!

Withnail

Post #: 7
RE: Figeac Substitutes??? - 5/27/2012 4:38:52 AM   
Khamen

And of course Ornellaia's Serre Nuove is just terrible and no way a substitute for anything. Ever

K

Withnail

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 8
RE: Figeac Substitutes??? - 5/27/2012 6:23:20 AM   
pjaines

+1 on Dom de Chevalier. There is still that mineral element that you get in Figeac as well.

My new DJ stuff....

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 9
RE: Figeac Substitutes??? - 5/27/2012 7:20:11 AM   
TexasWineGeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: Khamen

Sorry i was being mean, but people make me nervous when they go out and buy Figeac when i have no room.

As i'm sure u know the thing about Figeac is the high proportion of cabs in the blend (70% or so is the norm). A very fine alternative is the very close neighbour in Pomerol VCC but this is hardly the bargain option.

If it has to be St Emillion then there are a vast number of producers, but the Figeac style is pretty unique. If u are looking for an absolute bargain St Emillion then Laroque is surprisingly good for the money. U may also want to try something like Destieux or Grande Mayne. These are all more merlot-heavy

However, for an alternate i am heading west. For value then Dom de Chevalier can't be beaten, but my choice, maybe bizzarely is a Margaux - Brane Cantenac

If u want to go bonkers left field then leave France altogether and try Paleo Rosso from Macchiole in Tuscany. Random!

K

+1 on the Brane-Cantenac.  OUTSTANDING.

TWG

Consuming wine in moderation daily will help people to die young as late as possible. ~ Dr Philip Norrie

Too Much Wine and Not Enough Time ~

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 10
RE: Figeac Substitutes??? - 5/27/2012 11:21:27 AM   
slaughterer

Brane Cantenac as Left-Bank Figeac substitute. Brilliant! Wish I would have thought of that. There is a similarity of approach there, certainly. But what about the properties bordering Figeac? Are any of them trying to imitate the grand master?

(in reply to TexasWineGeek)
Post #: 11
RE: Figeac Substitutes??? - 5/27/2012 12:11:02 PM   
grafstrb

Good to hear the positive comments re: Brane-Cantenac; I just bought a bottle of their '82 ........... along with a bottle of the '82 Branaire-Ducru.

Terroir is not a flavor.

Post #: 12
RE: Figeac Substitutes??? - 5/27/2012 12:14:50 PM   
Khamen

Careful grafs, i last had the 82 Brane about 18 months ago from perfect provenance and it was only just clinging on. For Brane it can be risky pre-2000 or so

K

Withnail

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 13
RE: Figeac Substitutes??? - 5/27/2012 12:23:28 PM   
LST

On the Pomerol and St Emillion side I liked 98' and 05'. Some 88's and 90's of the top tier, a few 95's

Pavie and Trop. Mondot at top teir, Angelus when you can find it. but $$.

next tier:
La Dominque, Certan Marzelle,

Bargains:
Ripeau, Monbousquet

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 14
RE: Figeac Substitutes??? - 5/27/2012 12:37:46 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Khamen

Careful grafs, i last had the 82 Brane about 18 months ago from perfect provenance and it was only just clinging on. For Brane it can be risky pre-2000 or so

K

Good to know. It will be opened less than two months from now. Lots of recent CT notes make it sounds like many bottles are still truckin' along quite nicely.

< Message edited by grafstrb -- 5/27/2012 12:38:21 PM >

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 15
RE: Figeac Substitutes??? - 5/27/2012 1:14:26 PM   
champagneinhand

Its interesting to see so many on the lower LB change up their blends from year to year. Many in Margaux are using a high percentage of Merlot, than ever before. Same goes for the Pessac in many ways, though they have always seemed to blend more than just 2 or 3 of the Bdx varietals. I am quickly switching my favorite commune from St. Julien to the Pessac. While old Pauillac and some from St. Estephe still are grand, they generally need a generation of cellar time, so I won't be buying many more vintages from those 2 communes.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 16
RE: Figeac Substitutes??? - 5/27/2012 1:27:04 PM   
pjaines

Pessac has always been my favourite Bordeaux region - lots of minerals and slate and terroir. In weaker vintages I always go for Figeac and Pessac as I think the more austere style are worn well by these wines.

My new DJ stuff....

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 17
RE: Figeac Substitutes??? - 5/27/2012 1:35:24 PM   
khmark7

I always look for left or right bank wines with a larger amount of Cabernet Franc in the blends....stuff like du Tertre, Angelus, d'Armailhac and several from the Pessac.  Chateau Canon is a nice right bank as well, when i can find it.   Phelan Segur is another classic styled wine, although from St. Estephe.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 18
RE: Figeac Substitutes??? - 5/27/2012 3:08:41 PM   
Khamen

Du Tertre is a great call. By Bordeaux standards it is basically free, and the 2005 is both lovely and age-worthy. Now controlled by the Giscours guys. Angelus is a good call on the cab franc, but it's more expensive than the Figeac!

K

Withnail

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 19
RE: Figeac Substitutes??? - 5/27/2012 4:00:40 PM   
pjaines

I have a case of 05 Tertre tucked away in the cellar, which is good news. I would say that outside of the usual suspects I do like Roc du Cambes from Cotes du Bourg - owned by Tertre Roteboeuf and really good stuff. Not sure it is in the same style of Figeac though.

From Pessac I am partial to Carbonnieux - with a bit of age the reds are excellent value. The whites are not too shabby either. Just dont tell anyone., Ssssshhhhh

My new DJ stuff....

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 20
RE: Figeac Substitutes??? - 5/27/2012 5:00:04 PM   
StefanAkiko

Why even look for substitutes when there are so many other great things to explore whilst working on your career moves in order to finance Figeac by the case?

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 21
RE: Figeac Substitutes??? - 5/27/2012 5:10:02 PM   
StefanAkiko

quote:

ORIGINAL: slaughterer
Figeac has gotten too expensive, along with all the other greedy Bordeaux in recent vintages.

2 p's worth of pondering on the equation:

If the market price is $100 per bottle, how much is appropriate for the producer to get?
If the market price is $100 per bottle, how much is appropriate for the négociant to get?
If the market price is $100 per bottle, how much is appropriate for the next tier middleman to get?

IMHO the greatness of Bordeaux is created by the Châteaux, not the négociants nor the middleman - they only function as banks and have no part in the creation of greatness.

I also think that we will all see greater and better wines from Bordeaux if the majority of the money we spend on their wine end up in the Châteaux's pockets. I don't think that any amount of money in négociant/next tier layer's pockets will ever improve the quality of wine in Bordeaux the slightest bit.

Post #: 22
RE: Figeac Substitutes??? - 5/28/2012 3:52:09 AM   
ddemirci

Try chateau la reverence, it's half price of the Figeac and it honestly tastes good.

(in reply to StefanAkiko)
Post #: 23
RE: Figeac Substitutes??? - 5/28/2012 3:54:17 AM   
ddemirci

quote:

ORIGINAL: LST

On the Pomerol and St Emillion side I liked 98' and 05'. Some 88's and 90's of the top tier, a few 95's

Pavie and Trop. Mondot at top teir, Angelus when you can find it. but $$.

next tier:
La Dominque, Certan Marzelle,

Bargains:
Ripeau, Monbousquet

Monbousquet is really good, I sold all my bottles of the 2004 vintage in a few weeks, all my customers loved it, and I found it really pleasant.

(in reply to LST)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Figeac Substitutes??? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI