CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Cellar value vs. cellar cost

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Cellar value vs. cellar cost Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
[Poll]

Cellar value vs. cellar cost

Value less than cost
  10% (9)
Value more than cost
  70% (59)
Value equals cost
  0% (0)
Who cares - let's drink!!
  19% (16)

Total Votes : 84

(last vote on : 3/26/2013 2:03:42 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cellar value vs. cellar cost - 2/20/2013 5:22:03 PM   
BornToRhone

My cellar value (as reported by CT) is less than my wine cost. (98% value to cost)
Am I a poor purchaser? How about you?

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --
Post #: 1
RE: Cellar value vs. cellar cost - 2/20/2013 5:52:42 PM   
mjobtx

Probably not BTR. More a function of how long you have been buying and how long good wines have been held. A small portion of my menial holdings make up the vast majority of my value over price and most of them are red Bordeaux or German Rieling Auslese or sweeter. It is interesting to look at the value/price spread by region. After Bordeaux and Rielsing, Champagne and Alsace have provided my best ratios. But in all cases it is because I have held them. If I had held some of my wines longer the numbers would look better but I wouldn't have enjoyed the wines. I buy to drink not as an investment so the numbers don't mean much to me. Enjoy your wine.

PlanoWino

(in reply to BornToRhone)
Post #: 2
RE: Cellar value vs. cellar cost - 2/20/2013 6:12:24 PM   
S1

my value is WAY higher but I needed to be able to vote for choice 4 as well

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to mjobtx)
Post #: 3
RE: Cellar value vs. cellar cost - 2/20/2013 6:14:17 PM   
BornToRhone

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

my value is WAY higher but I needed to be able to vote for choice 4 as well

Vote twice!!

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 4
RE: Cellar value vs. cellar cost - 2/20/2013 6:27:18 PM   
wadcorp

I have a few gift bottles – such as from CT Santa – as well as a few that I didn't have pricing on. Pre-CT wines.

That's likely making the value look higher.

Many of my wines prices are at or above the value listed. I'm sure case buyers get a better deal, driving down their per-bottle cost some. But by that same token, restaurant purchases would drive the pricing up quite a bit.

Do you throw out the high & low and go for the average?

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

Post #: 5
RE: Cellar value vs. cellar cost - 2/20/2013 7:34:08 PM   
ccotton8

The bulk of my value is auction prices and distributor iventory reduction sales. I am seeing my value decrease due to buying more from wineries. When I talk to the sales people at Specs, they always sound shocked that their prices are lower than the wineries.

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 6
RE: Cellar value vs. cellar cost - 2/20/2013 7:57:32 PM   
champagneinhand

Higher, but that is a function of time. I also buy carefully so I can drink well later in life. I also wanted to make sure that if all Hell broke lose, as it just might have, I could liquify and get a good chunk of change back. I hope that never has to happen, but family is more important than the wine. Sorry for my melancholy statements right now. Just in a holding pattern.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to ccotton8)
Post #: 7
RE: Cellar value vs. cellar cost - 2/20/2013 8:05:59 PM   
khmark7

Own lots of Bordeaux, and the stuff just appreciates as it gets older. 

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 8
RE: Cellar value vs. cellar cost - 2/20/2013 8:40:18 PM   
puppetclause

Value is barely above cost, and I usually don't account for shipping costs, so....

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 9
RE: Cellar value vs. cellar cost - 2/20/2013 8:47:59 PM   
mjobtx

Looks like several of us that have Bordeaux and actually hold it benefit from appreciated values. I have Chateau Latour I paid <$100 en primeur and you can guess what that does to valuation on those that I have left. In the end, I drink it. Value means nothing. Enjoyment means everything.

PlanoWino

(in reply to puppetclause)
Post #: 10
RE: Cellar value vs. cellar cost - 2/20/2013 9:04:04 PM   
RedLoverJim

quote:

ORIGINAL: champagneinhand

Higher, but that is a function of time. I also buy carefully so I can drink well later in life. I also wanted to make sure that if all Hell broke lose, as it just might have, I could liquify and get a good chunk of change back. I hope that never has to happen, but family is more important than the wine. Sorry for my melancholy statements right now. Just in a holding pattern.

I hope all works out well, CIH.

I'm ahead, with a cost of aout 92% of value. Partially due to some nice gift wines I list at zero cost, partially due to being on or having access to some list only wines that auction for higher. There's only one bottle I have any intention of selling though, so it's rather moot barring need for an insurance claim.

RLJ

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 11
RE: Cellar value vs. cellar cost - 2/20/2013 10:18:03 PM   
fingers

quote:

ORIGINAL: puppetclause

Value is barely above cost, and I usually don't account for shipping costs, so....

ditto

(in reply to puppetclause)
Post #: 12
RE: Cellar value vs. cellar cost - 2/20/2013 10:34:35 PM   
MindMuse

So the current value is above cost, but that is not what I selected. I purchase for consumption at some time or another, not to resell. It would also be naive to assume that one could sell one's cellar for the full valuation in CT anyway. I do try to maximize my own value received from my purchases, but any profit I derive is not in my pocketbook, but in my experiences.

... she uncorked it and put it to her lips. "I know something interesting is sure to happen," she said to herself, "whenever I eat or drink anything; so I'll just see what this bottle does."
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 13
RE: Cellar value vs. cellar cost - 2/20/2013 11:11:57 PM   
geppetto

Being from British Columbia (the land of the government monopoly on wine), I count myself really lucky any time I can buy a bottle that is even close to the cost of the community average. My cellar cost will always be higher than the CT values.

All these dumb spelling mistakes are because I'm using my iPhone. Damn autocorrect! OKAY OKAY, maybe it has a little to do with the consumption of too much wine...

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 14
RE: Cellar value vs. cellar cost - 2/20/2013 11:13:41 PM   
geppetto

quote:

ORIGINAL: MindMuse

So the current value is above cost, but that is not what I selected. I purchase for consumption at some time or another, not to resell. It would also be naive to assume that one could sell one's cellar for the full valuation in CT anyway. I do try to maximize my own value received from my purchases, but any profit I derive is not in my pocketbook, but in my experiences.

I agree 100 percent. It is actually illegal for me to sell my wine, so it is all for ME!!!

All these dumb spelling mistakes are because I'm using my iPhone. Damn autocorrect! OKAY OKAY, maybe it has a little to do with the consumption of too much wine...

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 15
RE: Cellar value vs. cellar cost - 2/21/2013 8:46:32 AM   
ob2s

Truth is that the value is really ONLY replacement value, if you needed to sell your cellar and have a broad spectrum of wine, then I'd bet $1000 you won't get CT value, in fact, you'd get no more than 67% of CT value UNLESS you only dabble in livex listed wines. There will also be some wine that you'll never be able to sell.

German Wine ? see GermanWines.us | water nourishes the body, wine nourishes the soul

(in reply to geppetto)
Post #: 16
RE: Cellar value vs. cellar cost - 2/21/2013 9:19:09 AM   
ccotton8

I wonder if my insurance company will acknowledge the CT valuation for replacement cost in case of something happening to my home.

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 17
RE: Cellar value vs. cellar cost - 2/21/2013 10:18:31 AM   
ob2s

state farm does

German Wine ? see GermanWines.us | water nourishes the body, wine nourishes the soul

(in reply to ccotton8)
Post #: 18
RE: Cellar value vs. cellar cost - 2/21/2013 10:30:12 AM   
skifree

I stumbled on the Bdx economics after moving to CT - had purchased a few 2004 Lafite and Latour en primeur at what I thought was astounding prices at the time - now, of course, they are worth much more. Main benefit is to justify my expenditures to my wife!

Like everyone else here, I do not look at my cellar as an asset - part of the good life to share with friends and family.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to ccotton8)
Post #: 19
RE: Cellar value vs. cellar cost - 2/21/2013 11:53:02 AM   
mjobtx

quote:

I agree 100 percent. It is actually illegal for me to sell my wine, so it is all for ME!!!

Well you could give it all to me. I have a nephew who lives in Vancouver. I will have him pick it up for me.

PlanoWino

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 20
RE: Cellar value vs. cellar cost - 2/21/2013 12:22:32 PM   
ccotton8

quote:

ORIGINAL: ob2s

state farm does

That's good to know, that's who I have my coverage through. Thanks.

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 21
RE: Cellar value vs. cellar cost - 2/21/2013 1:03:43 PM   
GalvezGuy

Much higher value than cost FWIW, mostly due to crazy auction prices on a small percentage of the bottles.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to ccotton8)
Post #: 22
RE: Cellar value vs. cellar cost - 2/21/2013 1:46:05 PM   
BobMilton

I give up. How do you find total cost without opening each and every wine individually (would take forever!)

Post #: 23
RE: Cellar value vs. cellar cost - 2/21/2013 1:56:59 PM   
FRM

I hit the wrong dang button Oh well.

(in reply to BobMilton)
Post #: 24
RE: Cellar value vs. cellar cost - 2/21/2013 3:23:20 PM   
mclancy10006

quote:

ORIGINAL: BobMilton

I give up. How do you find total cost without opening each and every wine individually (would take forever!)

Go to reports and "my cellar" and "all wine". Scroll waaaaaaaay down to the bottom and it is there.

-Mark

(in reply to BobMilton)
Post #: 25
RE: Cellar value vs. cellar cost - 2/21/2013 3:28:09 PM   
BobMilton

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclancy10006

quote:

ORIGINAL: BobMilton

Go to reports and "my cellar" and "all wine". Scroll waaaaaaaay down to the bottom and it is there.

-Mark

When I do that, all I see is value. The same thing on the homepage. Nowhere do I see cost, so I still have no idea what the ratio is.

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 26
RE: Cellar value vs. cellar cost - 2/21/2013 4:02:06 PM   
VTCellarDweller

I include tax and shipping in my cost number for each purchase. The total cost is 98% of the value.

Jim
https://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=90940

(in reply to BobMilton)
Post #: 27
RE: Cellar value vs. cellar cost - 2/21/2013 4:18:10 PM   
mtpisgah

I have only been collecting for about two years and only in the last year have started to buy more valuable bottles. My valuable bottles though are not valuable compared to a lot of the cellars here. That being said, my cost is a lot more than the "value", to the point that I almost fell out of my chair. I need to stop buying wine and start investing, with someone else picking the stocks of course.

As Mindmuse said, it is the experience. TW and I were talking about that this weekend, rather than collecting stuff (which we have too much of in general) collecting experiences is so much more important and more fun.

Oh well, I bought it to drink, not as an investment. You only live once and you can't take it with you. We dont have kids so we dont need to leave it to anyone. Maybe I will order that Buccella after all.

Paul

I read books to pass the time until the next bottle of wine.

(in reply to VTCellarDweller)
Post #: 28
RE: Cellar value vs. cellar cost - 2/21/2013 7:56:45 PM   
dsGris

In the last several years I have included shipping. Cost is 93% of value. By and large only two bottles are substantially worth more than the cost. No reason to save it, just drink it all up.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 29
RE: Cellar value vs. cellar cost - 2/21/2013 9:22:25 PM   
ytsai

Value << Cost

Mainly because the government impose a 15% tax on wine

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Cellar value vs. cellar cost Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI