CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Downtown LA remote storage

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Downtown LA remote storage Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Downtown LA remote storage - 3/4/2013 3:17:40 PM   
La Peste

Hello, first post on the forum. I am looking for remote storage in downtown LA. I have contacted ideal55 in hollywood, and they seem to have a great setup, $27/month for a 12 case locker and they can accept shipments for you. The only problem is that I don't want to drive all the way out to Hollywood. I have heard that Buzz does storage, has anyone used them for this? I can't find anyone else in dtla. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Downtown LA remote storage - 3/4/2013 4:13:50 PM   
grafstrb

For DTLA, my answer is "I don't know. Sorry."

On the off chance that you happen to live in the Glendale area, I can highly recommend The Wine Vault, on Brand Ave..

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to La Peste)
Post #: 2
RE: Downtown LA remote storage - 3/4/2013 4:18:08 PM   
La Peste

Thanks for the reply. I would prefer dtla but Glendale is slightly closer than Hollywood. I will keep The Wine Vault in mind if I can't find anything in dtla.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 3
RE: Downtown LA remote storage - 3/4/2013 4:49:58 PM   
puppetclause

quote:

Thanks for the reply. I would prefer dtla but Glendale is slightly closer than Hollywood. I will keep The Wine Vault in mind if I can't find anything in dtla.

http://thecavewinestorage.com/

this is where I keep my stuff. They don't accept deliveries, so it doesn't save you that headache, but it's definately the cheapest around.

jeff

(in reply to La Peste)
Post #: 4
RE: Downtown LA remote storage - 3/4/2013 4:59:04 PM   
La Peste

Thanks for the reply Jeff. This one is 10 miles from me. I am located on 5th and Main, would love to have somewhere walkable. If there isn't anything, I may have to do Glendale. The two of your recommendations are new to me. Good to have some options.

(in reply to puppetclause)
Post #: 5
RE: Downtown LA remote storage - 3/4/2013 5:12:27 PM   
Robert Pavlovich

Have heard good things about ideal 55, but not sure if Hollywood is any better for you.

Hollywood - Marina del Rey - Playa del Rey - Hermosa Beach - LAX / El Segundo

"Blending muddles the message"

-The Burgundian Monks

(in reply to La Peste)
Post #: 6
RE: Downtown LA remote storage - 3/4/2013 5:20:08 PM   
La Peste

Ideal 55 was what I was originally contemplating. Seems like a great place. I emailed George and he says that dtla is about 1 year away. Perhaps I could just start in Hollywood and migrate to downtown when the location is up. Does anyone store their wine at buzz? http://buzzwinebeershop.com They are a block from me, and I heard they do storage. I guess I should go in there and ask them.

(in reply to Robert Pavlovich)
Post #: 7
RE: Downtown LA remote storage - 3/4/2013 5:23:55 PM   
La Peste

ah here it is...
http://buzzwinebeershop.com/index.php?/wine-lockers

Looks like they have smaller spaces than 12 case lockers, which works well for me as my collection is small. If anyone has had any experience with their storage please do share.

< Message edited by La Peste -- 3/4/2013 5:24:20 PM >

(in reply to La Peste)
Post #: 8
RE: Downtown LA remote storage - 3/4/2013 5:26:07 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: puppetclause

quote:

http://thecavewinestorage.com/

this is where I keep my stuff. They don't accept deliveries, so it doesn't save you that headache, but it's definately the cheapest around.

jeff

I don't know how much these lockers cost, but both my 24 and 36 case lockers at The Wine Vault work out to less than a dollar per bottle per year.

btw, I've not heard of Buzz.

I worked at 8th and Grand as recently as two years ago.

< Message edited by grafstrb -- 3/4/2013 5:29:05 PM >

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to puppetclause)
Post #: 9
RE: Downtown LA remote storage - 3/4/2013 5:41:24 PM   
grafstrb

Oddly, The Wine Vault and The Cave Wine Storage are incredibly close to eachother in Glendale. Their pricing and hours appear to be nearly identical to each other, as well. I wonder if they're run by the same company?

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 10
RE: Downtown LA remote storage - 3/4/2013 5:44:26 PM   
La Peste

Buzz is a cool local beer and wine shop. I think they have been there for a couple of years now. Their prices are on the high side, so I started to buy most of my wine online these days. They have a 36-60 bottle capacity locker for $45/month which seems kind of expensive. One block away is hard to beat though.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 11
RE: Downtown LA remote storage - 3/4/2013 5:48:53 PM   
Robert Pavlovich

quote:

ORIGINAL: La Peste

Buzz is a cool local beer and wine shop. I think they have been there for a couple of years now. Their prices are on the high side, so I started to buy most of my wine online these days. They have a 36-60 bottle capacity locker for $45/month which seems kind of expensive. One block away is hard to beat though.

Not only super expensive, but they're not established enough either. They may ask you to move your wine before you're ready (i.e. out of business).

-The Burgundian Monks

(in reply to La Peste)
Post #: 12
RE: Downtown LA remote storage - 3/4/2013 5:51:27 PM   
La Peste

I doubt they are going out of business any time soon, they seem to be doing well. I hear you though, I wish dtla had more alternatives.

(in reply to Robert Pavlovich)
Post #: 13
RE: Downtown LA remote storage - 3/4/2013 5:52:42 PM   
grafstrb

That's horrible pricing (~1000% more expensive than the two Glendale options). I guess it boils down to: how often will you need to access your wine? Do you not have a wine fridge at home?

< Message edited by grafstrb -- 3/4/2013 5:53:44 PM >

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to La Peste)
Post #: 14
RE: Downtown LA remote storage - 3/4/2013 5:54:47 PM   
La Peste

Yes, I have a 21 bottle new air fridge. I guess for that kind of pricing I may be better off buying a second refrigerator. If I go that route, I may need to ask about recommendations on refrigerators. Use my 21 bottle one that I have now for stuff I will be drinking soon and maybe get a 40-50 bottle capacity one for more long term storage.

< Message edited by La Peste -- 3/4/2013 5:58:13 PM >

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 15
RE: Downtown LA remote storage - 3/4/2013 5:56:06 PM   
grafstrb

36 - 60 bottles is (as I know you know) only 3 to 5 cases. $45 per month x 12 = $540 per year. You can *easily* find a small wine fridge that will hold the same amount of bottles for that much money. And then you will have the convenience of having it at your house. The only question being: do you have a place to put it? I suppose, also, there will be a slight energy consumption bill to go along with that wine fridge (but, to be honest, you should easily be able to find a wine fridge of that size for less than $540, and it should also last you more than one year, too).

EDIT: I see you came to the same conclusion while I was drafting my post.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 16
RE: Downtown LA remote storage - 3/4/2013 6:01:23 PM   
La Peste

I'm not so worried about the energy bill or space. More concerned about the bad reviews I see on amazon across the board on refrigerators. Also I have heard bad things about their humidity control and vibration. If this information is wrong, and they are a good option, having my wine at home would be preferable.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 17
RE: Downtown LA remote storage - 3/4/2013 6:10:41 PM   
Robert Pavlovich

Unless you really want to drop a grand or more on a eurocave, it seems a trip to the cheaper storage in glendale once or twice a month to replenish your 21 bottle fridge at home is the best way to go. Best to make sure you're keeping stuff you plan to drink in the near term at home and that should work out great. I do this with a 16 bottle fridge at home and it's been working well.

-The Burgundian Monks

(in reply to La Peste)
Post #: 18
RE: Downtown LA remote storage - 3/4/2013 6:40:25 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: La Peste

I'm not so worried about the energy bill or space. More concerned about the bad reviews I see on amazon across the board on refrigerators. Also I have heard bad things about their humidity control and vibration. If this information is wrong, and they are a good option, having my wine at home would be preferable.

I bought a 36 bottle wine fridge (dual climate) (that I can smash 40 bottles into, btw) at Home Depot some years back for ~$400. It's still running, with no problems. Humidity control is a bit overrated, imo, seeing as how the wine in the bottle will keep the cork moist if the bottle is left on its side. Vibration is more important, is my gut instinct/opinion. I have to believe that something similar would get the job done for you.

I also have a ~200 bottle Eurocave at home, too. Living with only the 40 bottle wine fridge would definitely irritate me at times, but it is something I've managed to do while living in England the past two years (albeit, often with a couple cases of wine in an unheated third bedroom, which is the situation right now, actually)

< Message edited by grafstrb -- 3/4/2013 6:42:57 PM >

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to La Peste)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Downtown LA remote storage Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI