CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Minneapolis Places

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Minneapolis Places Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Minneapolis Places - 5/16/2013 11:47:02 AM   
ericindc

So I will be staying in downtown Minneapolis next week. Any Cellartrackers have any recommendations on good wine bars, wine stores or restaurants?

Thanks in advance!

-Eric
Just waiting for my Grand Cru to age.
Post #: 1
RE: Minneapolis Places - 5/16/2013 12:28:26 PM   
cookiefiend

112 Eatery

clicky!

While I haven't eaten there myself, Mr Cookie went twice on his last trip to Minneapolis.
He loved it.
He sent me text messages with pictures...
I drooled.

Dawn

'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'
Aldous Huxley

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 2
RE: Minneapolis Places - 5/16/2013 2:29:10 PM   
Wine Gopher

You can PM me if you'd like. I work downtown and live close enough to walk home.

The best wine shops in Minneapolis are:
Haskell's with a location downtown that has a good selection of BDX & Burgundy
France 44 on the border of Minneapolis & Edina, a bit out of the way if you don't have a car
Surdyk's just across the river which has a really big selection but is more oriented toward high volume than fine wine but still has ample selection

The best restaurants in Minneapolis (as judged by me):
112 Eatery has been mentioned. James Beard Award Winning Chef. He also runs Bar La Grassa which I'd say is just as good if not better.
The hot new place (and this is heaven for guys but more Bourbon than wine) is Butcher and the Boar. It was up for the James Beard this year in its first year of existence.
The best steak place in town is Manny's Steakhouse at the W Hotel
Burough is a pretty good new place that opened in January in the North Loop which is a trendy emerging neighborhood. It also has a great cocktail bar in the basement.
In the same vein but more pretentious, in my opinion, is Bachelor Farmer where Obama ate when he came to town last. They have a speakeasy underneath called Marvel Bar that is also renowned for their cocktails.
Restaurant Alma - Another James Beard Award winner for best chef midwest. Less than a 10 minute cab ride from downtown.

Further outside of downtown but worth mentioning if you love Rhone wines is Piccolo. It is a great restaurant with a wine list heavy on Rhone varietals that goes well with his food. The on-line list isn't as good as what is at the restaurant.

I can give you a lot more ideas if those don't interest you or if you want something specific or really close to your hotel. Those are some of the best in the city but others in the heart of downtown like Vincent, Zelo, Mission American Kitchen are good too and I've heard Bank (Westin Hotel) is good.

Depending on the day I may even be able to grab a drink or dinner.

< Message edited by Wine Gopher -- 5/16/2013 3:46:01 PM >

(in reply to cookiefiend)
Post #: 3
RE: Minneapolis Places - 5/16/2013 2:32:34 PM   
curtispomeroy

In addition to 112 Eatery, I would try to get to Bar La Grassa, The Butcher and the Boar, Borough, The Bachelor Farmer, Restaurant Alma. If you end up by the river, go to Vic's in St. Anthony Main - probably the only reasonably wine list in town.

If money is no object, then go to La Belle Vie for the food and the extensive wine list.

In terms of wine stores, avoid Haskell's and head instead to Surdyk's north of the Mississippi.

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 4
RE: Minneapolis Places - 5/16/2013 2:51:30 PM   
Wine Gopher

Vic's is an amazing priced wine list. Everything is at cost. I've bought wines there cheaper than I can get them from the wine club. They have 2004 Grange for low-$300s. The food and service aren't going to win awards but they're fine and the view from the patio is great. I live 4-5 blocks away so we get there frequently.

< Message edited by Wine Gopher -- 5/17/2013 5:45:29 AM >

(in reply to curtispomeroy)
Post #: 5
RE: Minneapolis Places - 5/16/2013 4:03:31 PM   
lockestep

+1 for Haskells. My father in law lives in Bloomington, and when I go to visit Haskell's is my source. They had a decent selection of Jadot Burgundies with some age on them when I was there last June.

My Wine of the Month (2/24)
2016 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard

(in reply to Wine Gopher)
Post #: 6
RE: Minneapolis Places - 5/16/2013 4:55:47 PM   
grafstrb

+1 to La Belle Vie ---- we had a fantastic meal there around XMas time last year.

If you're in the mood for a fantastic deli sandwich, check out Cecil's. They might have my favorite deli rye bread.

Grand Ol' Creamery (in St. Paul) makes some amazing ice cream, too.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 7
RE: Minneapolis Places - 5/16/2013 5:06:54 PM   
mn_horn

Another vote for La Belle Vie. The lounge is probably my favorite room in town.

I would also add to the recommendations for Piccolo and Restaurant Alma.

I've had great meals at all 3 recently.

Depending on the day, I could also meet up for dinner or a few glasses.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 8
RE: Minneapolis Places - 5/17/2013 10:38:58 AM   
mcsac67

quote:

This is the only statement in Wine Gopher's jam packed post with which I slightly disagree. I have had several steaks recently (last two months) at Manny's, and found them lacking in flavor. The wine list is okay, but I actually prefer the steak at Capital Grille.

I love 112 Eatery, Bachelor Farmer and Marvel Bar. Parlor is also pretty good for cocktails. La Belle Vie is good for everything. Haute Dish can be good on the right night and if they have Pappy's behind the bar. The Butcher and Boar is good, especially if there is room on the patio. I can't say too much about my last meal there as I sampled too many bourbons.

If you cross the Mississippi River to head to Vic's, you may also want to stop in Nye's for a cocktail. I can do without the music, but they know how to mix a martini.

On the other end of the Nicollet Mall, I still like Vincent. It is pretty empty lately what with the Orchestra strike, but offers a pretty decent meal and a brief, but interesting, wine list.

If an impromptu offline develops, count me in depeding on the day. I work in the IDS Center.

Scott

(in reply to mn_horn)
Post #: 9
RE: Minneapolis Places - 5/17/2013 11:35:04 AM   
Wine Gopher

quote:

ORIGINAL: mcsac67

quote:

This is the only statement in Wine Gopher's jam packed post with which I slightly disagree. I have had several steaks recently (last two months) at Manny's, and found them lacking in flavor. The wine list is okay, but I actually prefer the steak at Capital Grille.

That is fair. Cap Grile is delicious and definintely more consistent. Maybe I should have said most popular and/or best non-chain. Manny's is as much about the hubris and testosterone as it is the steak. As an experience, it is still the place I would recommend for somebody coming to town

quote:

ORIGINAL: mcsac67

If an impromptu offline develops, count me in depeding on the day. I work in the IDS Center.

I'm 2 blocks away from the IDS and my condo is across the street from Nye's so I can make either area quite easily.

< Message edited by Wine Gopher -- 5/17/2013 11:36:11 AM >

(in reply to mcsac67)
Post #: 10
RE: Minneapolis Places - 5/17/2013 5:18:31 PM   
wadcorp

We have a Manny's here in Kansas City, but it's a Mexican food restaurant.

Or they would like you to think it is. Really, really crap food.

And don't get me started on their pseudo-margaritas.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

Post #: 11
RE: Minneapolis Places - 5/18/2013 1:49:01 AM   
musedir

Two good wine stores: Surdyks and France 44.

Restaurants (in order of best food/wine): La Belle Vie, Lurcat, Heidi's, Alma

Better known for mixed drinks and very typical and yet hip Minnesota food and vibe: Bachelor Farmer

Favorite bar:: top of the Foshay Tower (W Hotel). Must be top, not lobby.

Best Museum: Minneapolis Institute of Arts

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 12
RE: Minneapolis Places - 5/18/2013 8:15:42 AM   
hellowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

All W hotels have a bar at the top. Never did the top of Foshay Tower, but now I wish I had gone.

Per the earlier post, sad to hear that Vincent's is slow, but if a corporate place is needed for a large party, then Vincent's sounds good. I had a luncheon for about 12-15 there and it worked out really well for us. Service was great. Went back for cafe table dinner outside by myself and loved the people watching.

Did not eat at Manny's, but Cap Grille is a chain. The wine list had steep chain markup but the selection wasn't too bad. Have the Lobster Mac n' Cheese. Heart attack in a iron baking dish, but really worth it.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 13
RE: Minneapolis Places - 5/18/2013 8:46:02 AM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: hellowine

quote:

All W hotels have a bar at the top. Never did the top of Foshay Tower, but now I wish I had gone.

Is the French Restaurant, Un, Deux, Trois, still in the Foshay? I remember having a very nice meal there many years back.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to hellowine)
Post #: 14
RE: Minneapolis Places - 5/18/2013 9:18:13 AM   
mn_horn

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb

Is the French Restaurant, Un, Deux, Trois, still in the Foshay?

Unfortunately not. It is a Key's Cafe now.

It was a substantial remodel of the Foshay when the W came in and Manny's moved from the Hyatt. Prohibition, the bar at the top, is definitely a nice place for a cocktail.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 15
RE: Minneapolis Places - 5/18/2013 9:33:33 AM   
Wine Gopher

quote:

ORIGINAL: hellowine

quote:

Per the earlier post, sad to hear that Vincent's is slow, but if a corporate place is needed for a large party, then Vincent's sounds good. I had a luncheon for about 12-15 there and it worked out really well for us. Service was great. Went back for cafe table dinner outside by myself and loved the people watching.

Did not eat at Manny's, but Cap Grille is a chain. The wine list had steep chain markup but the selection wasn't too bad. Have the Lobster Mac n' Cheese. Heart attack in a iron baking dish, but really worth it.

And this is a heart attack on a plate. Manny's bacon appetizer:

(in reply to hellowine)
Post #: 16
RE: Minneapolis Places - 5/20/2013 2:40:36 PM   
ericindc

Just got into MInneapolis. Thanks for all the recommendations! I hope to try out a few

-Eric
Just waiting for my Grand Cru to age.

Post #: 17
RE: Minneapolis Places - 5/20/2013 2:53:31 PM   
grafstrb

Barley John's

That's for great beer --- a bit north of Minneapolis.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 18
RE: Minneapolis Places - 5/21/2013 9:27:42 AM   
Wine Gopher

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb

Barley John's

That's for great beer --- a bit north of Minneapolis.

I've heard good things but I still haven't been there. There are probably 10 breweries with tap rooms that have opened up in the last year or so though so the choices for good local brews is really growing.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 19
RE: Minneapolis Places - 7/19/2014 9:58:46 AM   
lockestep

I'll be doing my annual Minneapolis run soon...Vics and 112 are on my radar. Anything new pop up in the last year?

My Wine of the Month (2/24)
2016 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard

Post #: 20
RE: Minneapolis Places - 7/19/2014 12:14:53 PM   
dontime

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookiefiend

He sent me text messages with pictures...
I drooled.

Not going to go there...

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to cookiefiend)
Post #: 21
RE: Minneapolis Places - 7/19/2014 9:52:37 PM   
Wine Gopher

quote:

ORIGINAL: lockestep

I'll be doing my annual Minneapolis run soon...Vics and 112 are on my radar. Anything new pop up in the last year?

Brasserie Zentral - Downtown. Opened in April. I highly recommend it.
Coup d'Etat in Uptown. I haven't been there.
Gavin Kaysen is leaving Cafe Boulud in NYC to move home and open a new restaurant this fall/winter. Merchant. Unfortunately that won't help you.

Unless you're just looking for a cheap bottle of wine with a good view, I would personally skip Vic's and do Butcher and the Boar. The food isn't in the ballpark for a comparison.

If you have a car and are willing to head out of downtown, I also highly recommend Travail. The wine list isn't anything special but the food certainly is.

I also like Bachelor Farmer more now than I did then. I had only been in the cocktail bar before and talked to people about the restaurant. I still don't care for the downstairs speakeasy but I had an excellent dining experience there. They have a cool wine program too where you can buy bottles by the half bottle and then the remainder goes up on a chalkboard for by-the-glass pours for other customers. It works really well to still get quality wines while dining out with a pregnant wife.

< Message edited by Wine Gopher -- 7/19/2014 10:00:51 PM >

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Minneapolis Places Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI