CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Old World in the New World

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Old World in the New World Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Old World in the New World - 7/19/2013 11:45:13 PM   
puppetclause

Looking for examples of consistent old world styling in the new world. Ridge, Mayacamas, GDL, Heitz, Inglenook, etc. Doesn't have to be cab by any means, just curious what new world producers lean towards a more european sensibility.
Post #: 1
RE: Old World in the New World - 7/20/2013 12:05:46 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

There have been claims that ALL of Washington's wines mirror the Old World character with New World fruit.  But you probably would like a little more specifics.

For Cabs, I'd say Seven Hills, Owen Roe (high end), Columbia Winery (higher end stuff at least before the Gallo buyout), Hightower, Isenhower, DiStefano, BonAir (reserves only).   Of these unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your perspective, most of the higher end stuff is NOT widely distributed.

For Syrahs/Rhones the list is longer (I think),  and really there are only a few WA Syrahs I avoid due to their "Over the topness".  Easier to list those maybe and for me that includes most of K Vintners/Charles Smith.  Some hot weather sites such as Wahluke and Red Mountain I generally don't like as much as the cooler site stuff, Yakima or Walla Walla either.  But I love some of those too. Just depends on the year and the producer.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to puppetclause)
Post #: 2
RE: Old World in the New World - 7/20/2013 3:03:35 AM   
Ibetian

Togni comes to mind.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 3
RE: Old World in the New World - 7/20/2013 3:17:14 AM   
thesternowl

Both Clos du Val and St. Supery are both widely available, inexpensive (relatively), and quite old world in style.

Tulocay also comes to mind...but a bit harder to find nationally.

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 4
RE: Old World in the New World - 7/20/2013 3:39:11 AM   
khmark7

Due to the weather, location and varietals planted I find that the wines produced in the NY Finger Lakes and upper Michigan, around Traverse City are very old world in style. You rarely find any wines over 13% alcohol.

Lagier Meredith from California is the classic Old World producer.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to thesternowl)
Post #: 5
RE: Old World in the New World - 7/20/2013 5:14:46 AM   
S1

+1 on Togni (patience, much patience) and Lagier-M
Arnot-Roberts, Peay, new Copain Syrahs
Drinkward-Pescon with some age straddles both worlds beautifully

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 6
RE: Old World in the New World - 7/20/2013 6:00:13 AM   
J2K

Tablas Creek Esprit de Beaucastel
Plenty of old world influence there and a very good wine.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 7
RE: Old World in the New World - 7/20/2013 7:03:24 AM   
recotte

There's a fantastic little winery, Dacalier, that you may have heard of....

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 8
RE: Old World in the New World - 7/20/2013 8:46:22 AM   
Stirling

For whites, I would say Kumeu River from New Zealand. Could pass for a Premeir or Grande Cru Burgundy easily. Recent vintages of Woodward Canyon Chardonnay are moving that way as well.

I agree with Chrisinsunnyside's comment above about WA. Betz and DeLille are two wineries that are quite Old World in style.

Some of the OR Pinot Noirs, Domaine Drouhin to name one, have quite an Old World expression.

My blog: www.advinetures.ca

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 9
RE: Old World in the New World - 7/20/2013 9:11:47 AM   
Paul S

+1 for Kumeu River, especially for the Mate's Vineyard, though I would say 1er Cru rather than Grand Cru.

I would also add Domaine Drouhin for Pinot, the old vintages 1970s and 1980s of Clos du Val Reserve and Mondavi Private Reserve Cabs, and perhaps some Dominus as well. Grosset for dry Riesling in Australia is another pretty old-wroldish wine.

(in reply to Stirling)
Post #: 10
RE: Old World in the New World - 7/20/2013 2:16:08 PM   
puppetclause

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

There's a fantastic little winery, Dacalier, that you may have heard of....

Da! You reminded me I never grabbed a case of the 08 de la terre. Smig, Just put my order in...

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 11
RE: Old World in the New World - 7/21/2013 7:03:10 PM   
ckinv368

Thomas pinot. Fantastic juice!

After the two bottles of claret, we had three bottles of Krug . . . one for love, one for country, and one for symmetry. -- A.J. Liebling

When in doubt, sip your dessert.

Post #: 12
RE: Old World in the New World - 7/21/2013 8:33:54 PM   
Robert Pavlovich

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

Due to the weather, location and varietals planted I find that the wines produced in the NY Finger Lakes and upper Michigan, around Traverse City are very old world in style. You rarely find any wines over 13% alcohol.

Lagier Meredith from California is the classic Old World producer.

I'd call Lagier Meredith a hybrid of sorts...I say that because the wines are approachable when young.

"Blending muddles the message"

-The Burgundian Monks

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 13
RE: Old World in the New World - 7/21/2013 8:36:59 PM   
Robert Pavlovich

For Burgundian stuff sourced from Sonoma Coast, RRV, and Anderson Valley fruit, Littorai comes to mind.

+1 on Togni for Cabernet. Would also add that Calluna definitely leans European and is well worth your while Jeff.

"Blending muddles the message"

-The Burgundian Monks

(in reply to Robert Pavlovich)
Post #: 14
RE: Old World in the New World - 7/22/2013 5:38:54 AM   
champagneinhand

I will second some of the drier wines from the finger lakes. They will have a higher ABV than Austria or Germany, but it usually goes with the ripeness of the fruit. Chardonnay from Lamoreaux Landing is just over !3%. Rieslings are in that same area. Ravines Wine cellars is actually distributed and sells mostly bone dry wines. Dr. Frank liens more towards German riesling, as does Heron Hill, but both have great amounts of minerals. There are a lot more, but its hard to keep up on them unless I am at a tasting. Not to much room in the cellar left, and most are available at the cooperative stores, in town.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

Post #: 15
RE: Old World in the New World - 7/23/2013 12:00:30 AM   
puppetclause

quote:

ORIGINAL: Robert Pavlovich

For Burgundian stuff sourced from Sonoma Coast, RRV, and Anderson Valley fruit, Littorai comes to mind.

+1 on Togni for Cabernet. Would also add that x definitely leans European and is well worth your while Jeff.

Definately looking into Littorai, I like the sound of reviews that can't tell it from a grand cru burg...

Been planning a 3 week road trip to just do an absolute ton of tasting and figure lots of this stuff out for myself. Want to go through Paso, Napa, Oregon, and Washington but there doesn't seem to be a break in work for a long, long time....

Post #: 16
RE: Old World in the New World - 7/23/2013 12:01:52 AM   
puppetclause

quote:

ORIGINAL: champagneinhand
I will second some of the drier wines from the finger lakes. They will have a higher ABV than Austria or Germany, but it usually goes with the ripeness of the fruit. Chardonnay from Lamoreaux Landing is just over !3%. Rieslings are in that same area. Ravines Wine cellars is actually distributed and sells mostly bone dry wines. Dr. Frank liens more towards German riesling, as does Heron Hill, but both have great amounts of minerals. There are a lot more, but its hard to keep up on them unless I am at a tasting. Not to much room in the cellar left, and most are available at the cooperative stores, in town.

would love to explore the finger lakes but I feel like that juice just doesn't make it's way down to California. When I'm up in the area for a wedding in a month I'll try and nab some of these producers if I can find them.

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 17
RE: Old World in the New World - 7/23/2013 12:40:47 AM   
champagneinhand

quote:

ORIGINAL: puppetclause

quote:

ORIGINAL: champagneinhand

would love to explore the finger lakes but I feel like that juice just doesn't make it's way down to California. When I'm up in the area for a wedding in a month I'll try and nab some of these producers if I can find them.

The Finger Lakes is terrible about using distributors. Maybe 5 or so wineries actually use them. It really makes no sense

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

Post #: 18
RE: Old World in the New World - 7/23/2013 4:20:34 AM   
S1

Littorai does NOT taste like GC Burg but it is wonderful wine. Not too long ago I was completely fooled by a Peay Chard, served blind.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 19
RE: Old World in the New World - 7/23/2013 4:30:16 AM   
Yossarian

Escarpement in New Zealand make lovely pinot noir that are more classical in their structure.
Hamilton Russell in South Africa make lovely Pinot as well.....stamped through with terroir.
ClonaKilla in Australia make brilliant Northern Rhone style Syrah, especially their top end Shiraz-Voignier blend.

New April 2021 Mix Here

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 20
RE: Old World in the New World - 7/23/2013 6:55:47 AM   
zonk

On the pinot side Rhys and maybe some of the Anderson Valley stuff from Copain or Anthill farms. Think most of those producers straddle the line of old world style, but with California fruit.

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 21
RE: Old World in the New World - 7/23/2013 7:13:40 AM   
ericindc

I would say Rhys, Williams Selyem, Antica Terra, Birichino (new). Honestly, I haven't explored American Pinot as much as I would like. I used to think ROAR was in that category, but now that I've had a few more vintages... not so much.

Also, I wouldn't say that these are identical to burgundy. They are balanced and should age well. At least in regards to Selyem, I've had 15 yr old pinots that were fantastic. Just had their basic russian river valley pinot (2001), and found it drinking extremely well.

-Eric
Just waiting for my Grand Cru to age.

(in reply to zonk)
Post #: 22
RE: Old World in the New World - 7/23/2013 12:47:01 PM   
mjobtx

J2K mentioned one of the Tablas Creek wines. They have several that are old world style but that is what you would expect from the Perrin family and Robert Haas. The original root stock came from the Rhone area, some surreptitiously. They have their own nursery, root stock fields, and growing and grafting operation. Interesting visit too.

PlanoWino

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 23
RE: Old World in the New World - 7/23/2013 7:32:40 PM   
BornToRhone

I like Peay, Littorai, Rhys for making Cali wines which do not follow the Cali typical mantra. I think a lot of it comes down to ripeness, extraction, and oak (actually the lack of all three). Let's not forget when these three are diminished, it kinda lets the terroir show through.

As CIH mentioned, the FL wines (reisling, gewurtz) also have alot of mineral character due to the shale in the area. Standing on the shores of the fingerlakes you always find layers and layers of broke shale. Tis gets into the wine to some extent, although more so the closer tou get to the lakes.

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to mjobtx)
Post #: 24
RE: Old World in the New World - 7/24/2013 4:21:46 AM   
puppetclause

quote:

ORIGINAL: mjobtx

J2K mentioned one of the Tablas Creek wines. They have several that are old world style but that is what you would expect from the Perrin family and Robert Haas. The original root stock came from the Rhone area, some surreptitiously. They have their own nursery, root stock fields, and growing and grafting operation. Interesting visit too.

Palmina seems like the italian varietal version of Tablas Creek to some extent. I'm not familiar enough with Italian wines to know if what they're making is 'traditional' (something tells me on the whole it's not, they're extracted as hell) but like TC they are importing rootstock from all over italy, sometimes waiting a decade or more for them to clear our version of roostock 'customs'.

(in reply to mjobtx)
Post #: 25
RE: Old World in the New World - 7/24/2013 7:50:39 AM   
BRR

Rotie Cellars in Walla Walla is self-professed, "Old World Wines from New World Vines," right from their website.  Here's more from the site:

"Since 2007, winemaker and owner Sean Boyd's goal has been to make traditional Rhone blends in Washington State. Boyd's winemaking philosophy is simple- combine old world winemaking techniques with the highest quality Rhone varietals that Washington has to offer. Boyd sources from some of the best and oldest vineyards in the state in an effort to showcase the most elegant blend possible, while ensuring the typicity of the fruit is expressed."

I've had some of then, and I think they're excellent.  We'll see how they compare to Old World Rhones on August 10 (Seattle offline, where a Rotie Cellars Southern Blend will be served blind in a flight with at least two CdP).

Cheers!

Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Old World in the New World Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI