CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS" - 9/13/2013 9:29:31 AM   
f22nickell

Seattle Wine Group - Sep 2013 Tasting - Theme: Aged WA Bordeaux Blends

Amaroso Room - Wine Storage Bellevue
Tasted Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Introduction

Following a one-month hiatus to host the successful Seattle CT Offline II in August, the 8 of us met again in the Amaroso Room at Wine Storage Bellevue to continue our monthly tasting events. Jason was the host this month and chose "Aged (10+ years) Washington Bordeaux blends" as his theme. To add some contrast, he also asked for a couple of aged California wines as well. What we ended up with were:

5 WA Cab/BDX blends
2 CA Cab/BDX blends
1 actual BDX

For food, Jason really raised the bar! What started with some bread and simple charcuterie/cheese plates has now evolved into downright culinary events!

Jason started with Poisson Cru as an appetizer. I am not a raw fish fan so I didn't partake. However, the rest of the guys were moaning, groaning, and heaping much praise on Jason.

Following the Poisson Cru, Jason served Carpaccio with capers, leafy greens, and imported olive oil. Amazing presentation and fabulous fare.

For the main course, Jason served a perfectly cooked Chateaubriand, with garlic oven potatoes and a side salad. The beef just melted in the mouth. Outstanding!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wine with dinner

I brought the Chianti
Brandon brought the Viognier
Jason brought a 2009 Syncline Scintillation Blanc de Blanc, but I didn't take any notes.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1995 Fattoria di Felsina Berardenga Chianti Classico Riserva - - - - - 91 Points
Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG

Setting: This wine was popped and poured.

Sight: This wine is bright, clear, with some evidence of gas, but no particles. Color is ruby at the core and fades to garnet 1/4”-1/2” from the meniscus. Light concentration of color. Legs are slender and move fairly quick down the glass.

Nose: This wine does not smell flawed. Aromas are rose petals, licorice, dried flowers/herbs, fig, and slight sour cherries in the background I do pick up some mineral hints. Very light smell of oak, mostly in a hint of wood spice. I do not pick up any heat on the nose. This wine smells of old world; Fruit is in the background, secondary aromas drive this wine suggesting it is fairly old.

Palate: This wine is light bodied. This wine has strong flavors of sweet plum, tobacco, cedar, dark cherry, and clay. Very little oak coming through.

Structure: This wine is dry. Acid is medium-plus. Alcohol is medium-minus. Tannins are medium and well integrated. Finish is medium to long. Complexity is medium.

Conclusion: This wine is from the old world; wine appears unfiltered, fruit is in the background, lots of secondary flavors, and tastes of clay. From the alcohol indicators, this appears to be from a slightly cool vintage. Quality producer.

Final Conclusion: This is an excellent bottle of wine. This is my 3rd bottle and I am very impressed with how well it is holding up given it’s a 20 year old Chianti. This wine is still very fresh and alive, yet still has the complexity of an older wine. Tannins are fully integrated, but the acid will keep this bottle going for several more years.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2012 Alexandria Nicole Viognier Crawford Crawford Vineyard - - - - - 87 Points
USA, Washington, Columbia Valley

Setting: This wine was popped and poured, served slightly chilled.

Sight: This wine is star bright, clear, with no evidence of gas or particles. Color is light straw at the core and consistent to the rim. Light concentration of color. Legs are thin, but move very slow down the glass.

Nose: This wine does not smell flawed. Aromas are stone fruit, mainly peach and apricot. I also pick up citrus echoes that are hard to nail down. I pick up traces of what could be minerality, but unable to nail the type or even the certainty of it. No hint of oak or heat on the nose. This wine smells of youthful, bold fruit.

Palate: This wine is full bodied. This wine is a bit sweet, with flavors of candied peach or apricot. Fruit flavors are very primary, no real nuances or secondary flavors. On the palate, I realize the traces of minerality I picked up on the nose are more like the stone fruit pit itself. I do not taste any oak, but the full mouth-feel suggests there might be some here.

Structure: This wine is off-dry. Acid is medium to medium-minus, but feels low due to the sweetness. Alcohol is medium to medium-minus. Finish is short. Complexity is low.

Conclusion: This wine is from the new world; wine appears filtered, fruit is primary, very little minerality (despite the peach pit nuances). From the alcohol indicators, this appears to be from a slightly cool vintage. Mid-level producer.

Final Conclusion: This is a decent bottle of wine. The wine appears to be made well; however, the sugar to acid ratio is a bit off. A little less sugar or more acid would have upped this wine by at least one or two degrees of magnitude. As it stands right now, I don’t find much to say beyond “its OK …”

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wine Tasting Event - "Aged Washingtion Bordeaux Blends ... With a few ringers thrown in" - Double-Blind

A great line up of wines

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1999 Quilceda Creek Red Wine Columbia Valley - - - - - 88 Points

Setting: Bottle “A” in the blind tasting. Notes were taken before I knew the wine identity.

Sight: This wine is hazy, with no evidence of gas. The wine does show particles. Color is ruby at the core and fades to garnet 1/4” from the meniscus. Medium concentration of color. Legs are thick and move slowly down the glass.

Nose: This wine does not smell flawed. Strong intensity. Aromas are black cherries and mint, with a trace of cherry cough syrup on the edges. No trace of minerals. Very light smell of oak, mostly in a hint of wood smoke. I pick up some heat on the nose. Not sure where to place this wine.

Palate: This wine is medium bodied. The fruit is subdued, but I can’t tell if its bound up or simply faded. Given that I expect this wine to be over 10 years old, I will go with faded. Still, I did not pick up much secondary notes either. What I was left with was primarily a medium size dose of oak.

Structure: This wine is dry. Acid is medium-plus. Alcohol is medium-plus. Tannins are medium-plus and not well integrated. Finish is medium. Complexity is low.

Conclusion: Although the fruit is very subdued and the wine appears unfiltered, I will guess this wine is new world; no earthy or mineral notes. From the acid and alcohol indicators, this appears to be from a slightly cool vintage. Unknown quality producer.

Final Conclusion: This is an “OK” bottle of wine. It’s obvious that it’s an older vintage, but I couldn’t get much out of it. The flavors were subdued, the nose was difficult, the finish wasn’t too long or complex. All in all, I wasn’t very impressed.

My Ranking: 7th out of 8 bottles
Group Ranking: 6th out of 8 bottles

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2001 Pepper Bridge Cabernet Sauvignon Walla Walla Valley - - - - - 90 Points
USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley

Setting: Bottle “B” in the blind tasting. Notes were taken before I knew the wine identity.

Sight: This wine is dull, with no evidence of gas or particles. Color is ruby at the core with very little color variation or fading to the meniscus. Light concentration of color. Legs are medium width and move medium speed down the glass.

Nose: This wine does not smell flawed. Medium Intensity. Aromas are of dark fruit, primarily blackberry. The wine has secondary notes of pencil lead, mocha, and cedar, with hints of sage/herb. Some earthiness, but not in any distinct way. You can smell some new oak in the cedar. I pick up very little heat on the nose. It will be interesting to see how old this wine is because the fruit is still a bit up front.

Palate: This wine is light bodied. Unfortunately, the palate doesn’t follow the nose. The palate is restrained. Hints of cocoa, but very little fruit left. Secondary notes are of nice cedar and leather suggesting the oak is well integrated into the wine.

Structure: This wine is dry. Acid is medium. Alcohol is medium. Tannins are medium, but not well integrated. Finish is short. Complexity is low.

Conclusion: This wine is from the new world. I pick up some earthiness, but I tie it to what remains of the fruit on the nose. On the palate, there is nothing about this wine that speaks old world. Acid and alcohol are straight across medium, so I guess this to be a fairly normal vintage. Quality producer.

Final Conclusion: This is wine appears to be well made, but I believe it’s on the downswing. The aromas are still holding on, but the palate seems to be headed towards life support. Some secondary cocoa notes and the remainder being some well integrated oak notes. Maybe it just needs a little more air to open up the flavors?

My Ranking: 6th out of 8 bottles
Group Ranking: 5th out of 8 bottles.

2002 Spring Mountain Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon - - - - - 91 Points
USA, California, Napa Valley, Spring Mountain District

Setting: Bottle “C” in the blind tasting. Notes were taken before I knew the wine identity.

Sight: This wine is bright, with no evidence of gas or particles. Color is deep purple at the core with a slight fade to ruby at the meniscus. Deep concentration of color. Legs are thick and move slowly down the glass.

Nose: This wine does not smell flawed. Strong intensity. Aromas are of red and dark fruit, primarily blackberry. The wine has secondary notes of mint, chocolate, and violets. I do not pick up any earthiness or mineral traits. Some new oak, but it hides behind the strong fruit aromatics. I pick up some heat on the nose. This is another wine that will be interesting to see how old it is because the fruit is so "in your face" and up front.

Palate: Whoa, this tastes like a very young wine. This wine is heavy bodied. The palate is thick with flavors of blackberries, mint, and bitter chocolate. This wine is very chewy, full bodied, and still very tannic. If it didn’t have the mint flavor, I would compare this to any ubiquitous young, over-extracted Red Mountain Cabernet; aka "Grape Killers meet Red Mountain.” I do taste some new oak, but it is well integrated into the wine.

Structure: This wine is dry. Acid is medium-minus. Alcohol is medium-plus. Tannins are medium-plus and not well integrated … yet. Finish is short. Complexity is low.

Conclusion: This wine is from the new world; filtered, bright, little to no earthiness or minerality. I guess this wine to be from CA. Acid is low and alcohol is high which suggests a warm vintage. High quality producer.

Final Conclusion: This is wine appears to be very well made. I believe it to be from CA as the palate comes across either very young or the tannins need many more years to integrate. Unfortunately, that sense of being young also translates to low complexity and an uninteresting finish. For me, no matter how well made it may feel, it comes across as an "in-your-face" extracted wine bomb. Give it another 10 years to mellow then let me at it.

My Ranking: 4th out of 8 bottles
Group Ranking: 1st (tied) out of 8 bottles.

1999 Dominus Estate - - - - - 93 Points
USA, California, Napa Valley

Setting: Bottle “D” in the blind tasting. Notes were taken before I knew the wine identity.

Sight: This wine is dull and hazy, with no evidence of gas or particles. Color is ruby at the core consistent to about an 1/8” from at the meniscus. Medium concentration of color. Legs are thick and move slowly down the glass.

Nose: This wine does not smell flawed. Light intensity. Aromas are of cassis and blue fruit, primarily plum and a little blueberry. The wine has secondary notes of dust, spice, and cedar. I do pick up some mineral traits. I detect some burnt oak that does always “quite fit” the wine, but not in any meaningful way. No alcohol on the nose to speak of.

Palate: This wine is light bodied. The palate follows the nose with flavors of blue fruit, dust, a little earthiness, spices, and dust. This wine has hints of vanilla and tobacco. I do taste some new oak, but it is well integrated into the wine.

Structure: This wine is dry. Acid is medium. Alcohol is medium. Tannins are medium and well integrated. Finish is long. Complexity is high.

Conclusion: This wine straddles the new/old world line; dull, hazy, and some mineral/earthiness, but cocoa flavors and light blue fruit. I guess this wine to be from WA, specifically Walla Walla Valley. Acid is medium and alcohol is medium suggesting a typical vintage. High quality producer.

Final Conclusion: This is very well made. Whoever made this wine did an excellent job bridging old world with the new. New world fruit flavors with controlled acidity; yet controlled alcohol with secondary notes of tobacco, earthiness, and spice that suggests old world. Just a little more "oomph" would place this wine as #1 of the night for me. Looking forward to finding out what this wine is.

My Ranking: 2nd out of 8 bottles
Group Ranking: 3rd out of 8 bottles.

1980 Chateau Ste. Michelle Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve Cold Creek Vineyard - - - - - NR

Setting: Bottle “E” in the blind tasting. Notes were taken before I knew the wine identity.

Sight: This wine is light, cloudy, with no evidence of gas or particles. Color is garnet at the core fading to brown ¼” from the meniscus. Light concentration of color. Long, slim legs that move slowly down the glass.

Nose: This wine smells a bit flawed. Light intensity. No fruit aromas to speak of. The wine has secondary notes of dried herbs and rose petals. I do not pick up any earthiness or mineral traits. Wine smells tired and old, with little life left in it. No alcohol on the nose to speak of.

Palate: This wine is light bodied. The palate tastes of minerals, spice, and just a little oak. Again, this wine is tired and on its last legs. The oak is well integrated into the wine.

Structure: This wine is dry. Acid is medium-plus. Alcohol is medium. Tannins are medium-minus and well integrated. Finish is short. Complexity is low.

Conclusion: This wine is old, with nothing left but minerals and a bit of oak on the palate. I guess this wine to be from Bordeaux due to the cloudiness and minerals. Too far gone to judge type of vintage. Unknown quality producer.

Final Conclusion: This is obviously old, slightly flawed on the nose, and tired on the palate. I don’t have much experience with wines like this so I can’t really guess or judge it. I know I don’t like it, but I can’t say if its atypical or representative of the wine. My least favorite of the night, but I will put this down as a “NR.”

My Ranking: 8th out of 8 bottles
Group Ranking: 8th (tied) out of 8 bottles.

2005 Columbia Crest Walter Clore Private Reserve - - - - - 90 Points

Setting: Bottle “F” in the blind tasting. Notes were taken before I knew the wine identity.

Sight: This wine is bright, filtered, with no evidence of gas or particles. Color is light ruby out to the edge. Light concentration of color. Legs are thin, but move very slowly down the glass.

Nose: This wine does not smell flawed. Nose is muted. Took some coaxing, but aromas are of red fruit, primarily raspberries and a hint of dark cherry. The wine has secondary notes of menthol, vanilla, and cedar. I do pick up some forest floor earthiness. Mad use of oak, over the top. The fruit smells youthful. This wine smells of Columbia Valley.

Palate: This wine is medium bodied. The palate has flavors of red fruit and blueberries. The fruit is very primary. Secondary flavors consisted mainly of vanilla and a hint of cocoa. The wine is still fairly tannic, and there is some heat as well.

Structure: This wine is dry. Acid is medium-plus. Alcohol is medium. Tannins are medium-plus and not well integrated. Finish is short. Complexity is low.

Conclusion: This wine is from the new world; filtered, bright, and youthful fruit. I guess this wine to be from WA, specifically Columbia Valley. Acid is higher than normal and alcohol is medium which suggests a normal to slightly cool vintage. Quality producer.

Final Conclusion: This is wine appears to be decently made. I believe it to be from WA as the nose just smells of Columbia Valley. I like this wine. I seem to be an outlier here as my score is higher than the group consensus.

My Ranking: 5th out of 8 bottles
Group Ranking: 8th (tie) out of 8 bottles.

2003 Chateau Lanessan - - - - - 91 Points
France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc

Setting: Bottle “G” in the blind tasting. Notes were taken before I knew the wine identity.

Sight: This wine is star bright, light, with no evidence of gas or particles. Color is light ruby to garnet about ¼” out to the meniscus. Light concentration of color. Legs are fat and move slowly down the glass.

Nose: This wine does not smell flawed. Light intensity. Aromas are of candied red fruit. This wine has secondary notes of seaweed, olives, cedar, and earth floor. I do detect some use of oak, but it is integrating well. No alcohol detected on the nose.

Palate: This wine is medium bodied. The palate has flavors of sweet plum. The fruit is light, secondary flavors of cigar box, sweet tobacco, and cedar drives this wine. The wine definitely uses a fair share of new oak, but it doesn’t take away from the wine. There is some heat as well.

Structure: This wine is dry. Acid is medium. Alcohol is medium. Tannins are medium-minus and well integrated. Finish is medium. Complexity is high.

Conclusion: I can’t tell where this comes from … This is either new world made in an old world style, or old world from a hot vintage and the wine maker pushed it. High quality producer.

Final Conclusion: This is wine appears to be well made. I believe this wine to be from Bordeaux or a new world Bordeaux blend. Due to the candied flavors, I believe this wine to be from a warm vintage. I really enjoyed this wine.

My Ranking: 3rd out of 8 bottles
Group Ranking: 4th out of 8 bottles.

2002 Leonetti Cellar Reserve Walla Walla Valley - - - - - 94 Points
USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley

Setting: Bottle “H” in the blind tasting. Notes were taken before I knew the wine identity.

Sight: This wine is cloudy, with some evidence of gas, but no particles. Color is medium ruby all the way to the edge. Medium concentration of color. Legs are medium width and move quickly down the glass.

Nose: This wine does not smell flawed. Strong intensity. Aromas are of tart blue fruit, primarily blueberries but some blackberry as well. This wine has secondary notes of mint and eucalyptus. I do detect some use of oak, but it is perfectly integrated and very complementary. No alcohol detected on the nose.

Palate: This wine is lush, medium bodied. The palate has flavors of blueberries, blackberries, coffee, and vanilla. The blueberry flavors scream Leonetti. The fruit is laser focused, but not overbearing. The fruit, wood, and secondary notes are in perfect harmony. Mouthfeel is very silky smooth, lush. Just a hint of heat.

Structure: This wine is dry. Acid is medium. Alcohol is medium. Tannins are medium and perfectly integrated. Finish is very long. Complexity is high. This wine is integrated very well on every level.

Conclusion: This wine has to be my offering, the 2002 Leonetti Reserve, Walla Walla Valley. Leonetti’s tell tale blueberry notes are immediately recognizable. High quality producer.

Final Conclusion: This is wine is very well made. This wine is perfectly integrated and balanced. The primary and secondary flavors, in conjunction with the acid, alcohol, and tannins, are all in harmony and support each other. Very complex, the incredibly long finish keeps evolving.

To me, this wine is in a class by itself and on a whole different level compared to the other 7 wines (save for the Dominus that was knocking at the door). Easily my WOTN.

My Ranking: 1st out of 8 bottles
Group Ranking: 1st (tie) out of 8 bottles.

Closing

Wow, what a meal and flight of wines.

Sadly, the WA wines did not represent well tonight. Out of the 5 wines from WA, 4 of them placed at the bottom four rungs in the group ranking. Only the 2002 Leonetti Reserve saved face with a tie for 1st place. CA was the clear winner with 2 bottles represented and taking one tie for 1st and the 3rd favorite behind the two tied 1st place winners. Finally, the BDX takes the next place before the remaining WA wines drag up the rear.

GROUP RANKING:
1st/2nd (tie): 2002 Leonetti Reserve (WA)
1st/2nd (tie): 2002 Spring Mountain (CA)
3rd: 1999 Dominus (CA)
4th: 2003 Chateau Lanessan (BDX)
5th: 2001 Pepper Bridge Cabernet Sauvignon Walla Walla Valley (WA)
6th: 1999 Quilceda Creek Red Wine Columbia Valley (WA)
7th/8th (tie): 2005 Columbia Crest Walter Clore Private Reserve (WA)
7th/8th (tie): 1980 Chateau Ste. Michelle Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve Cold Creek Vineyard (WA)

This was a fantastic evening. Big thanks to Jason for the wonderful feast. Next month is Mike's turn to host, and he chose "Southern Hemisphere Reds" as his theme. As always, looking forward to it!

< Message edited by f22nickell -- 9/18/2013 9:04:49 AM >

“ Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do. ”
— Ecclesiastes 9:7

F22nickell on CT ...
S_Nickell on WB ...
Post #: 1
RE: SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS&q... - 9/13/2013 10:17:39 AM   
lockestep

Excellent post - thanks for sharing your experience.
I did have to do a double-take on the thread title, though, as I read it as aged BOX wines.

My Wine of the Month (2/24)
2016 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard

(in reply to f22nickell)
Post #: 2
RE: SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS&q... - 9/13/2013 10:46:42 AM   
ShawnM789

Nice post, well done....

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 3
RE: SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS&q... - 9/13/2013 11:04:59 AM   
dontime

quote:

ORIGINAL: lockestep

Excellent post - thanks for sharing your experience.
I did have to do a double-take on the thread title, though, as I read it as aged BOX wines.

Aged boxed wine - hadn't thought of that for a PA Wine Talk tasting theme.

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 4
RE: SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS&q... - 9/13/2013 11:42:30 AM   
Old Doug

quote:

ORIGINAL: f22nickell

Jason started with Poisson Cru as an appetizer. I am not a raw fish fan so I didn't partake. However, the rest of the group were moaning, groaning, and heaping much praise on Jason.

Following the Poisson Cru, Jason served Carpaccio with capers, leafy greens, and imported olive oil. Amazing presentation and fabulous fare.

For the main course, Jason served a perfectly cooked Chateaubriand, with garlic oven potatoes and a side salad. The beef just melted in the mouth. Outstanding!

Scott, heck of a post, and I gotta say that is a massive WIN for Jason with that food.

(in reply to f22nickell)
Post #: 5
RE: SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS&q... - 9/13/2013 1:09:40 PM   
BRR

Jason really knocked the ball out of the park with the food!  The pairing of the fish with the sparkler was perfect.

Once again, it was the Leonetti Reserve by quite a bit for me for my WOTN.  I chose that same wine, albeit the 2004, back at our Red Mountain vs. Walla Walla offline.  Outstanding stuff.

Thanks again to you all for a great evening.

Cheers!

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 6
RE: SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS&q... - 9/13/2013 3:05:55 PM   
champagneinhand

Very nice post. I wish we had that kind of group locally, but alas I will live through your group vicariously.

My thoughts on WA's 1999 vintage of Cabernet Sauvignon, looks to be confirmed with the tasting of QC. I was so disappointed buying and drinking 3 AW Champoux from 1999. These wines were not flawed but on a very slippery slope of turning into a pile of sith. It seems that 1999 CS in general wasn't a very age worthy vintage in WA. I did kind of snicker when I saw a 1980, up there, but i guess it wasn't out of the realm of hoping.

I think the wine making in WA has dramatically improved as has the sources and grape stock available to said wine makers. That being said, Woodward Canyon would be an interesting wine to drink, to really see if the 1999 vintage was that short-lived. It was nice that you folks had a Lanessan slipped into the mix, which are known for being one of the longest lived, value wines of the LB and still such a reasonable bargain as I saw both the 2009 and 2010 vintage below $25 tariff while cruising through Total Wine in Orlando. If I had room as case of each would be on my next wine purchase list, I just don't think I could hold on to the OWCs for another 15-20 years. The only Lanessan that is drinking well from the 2000 forward group is '01. I do look forward to the others when the have finally pulled everything together. My next bet would be 2004 opening n a few years.

I also liked that somebody brought the serious power and tariff of Dominus to play. A great wine, but with the tariff so high, I haven't cellared it in about 10 years. I do love their stuff however.

Sounds like all had an enjoyable evening. The food looked great. So did the wine. Its always good to try older wines with a few different regions represented. Nice Job Seattle! I sure miss living across the Sound from the city center.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 7
RE: SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS&q... - 9/14/2013 1:26:13 AM   
thesternowl

Great post. I just love living vicariously through others...

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 8
RE: SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS&q... - 9/14/2013 6:38:54 AM   
hankj

Scott thanks for writing this up; Jason thanks for the great food! Someone needs to order pizza when it's their turn for food to get the bar back into the inner-atmosphere.

My observations on the evening:

The $40 Spring Mountain Cab flogged the field if we throw out Jeff's outlying 8th place ranking of this wine (which we don't so it tied, fair enough :). This bottle was a little bit of a dirty beast - some well-masked ethyl acetate, maybe a hair off star bright, and so on. And it was a huge, chewy wine to be sure, not a big second glass type of beverage. But it had by a solid measure more clear depth and complexity to its palate than the other wines, and it evolved in the glass like a turning kaleidoscope - I was lamenting that none from the line-up of cab showed any mint and five minutes later the Spring Mountain was doing a peppermint schnapps impression. The laundry list of aromas this bottle presented, in my notes, tripled any of the other wines. And it was looooong. Not sure I agree that more time would sort this wine out given it's dirtiness, but I enjoyed it, 92 points in my pantheon.

For me the second and third place wines, in my rankings the Pepper Bridge and Lannesan, also earned 92 points. I had a very hard time deciding on which of these three to put at the top and for me they formed a clear tier above the rest of the flight. If I had to pick just one to drink at home it would definitely depend on situation and food pairing.

I liked these wines in general but am just not a cabernet-phile - probably could never give a cabernet heavy blend a really high score. But did like these wines with some age better than the powerful young cabs we've been drinking.

In a blind tasting we again saw the consistency of group members' palates - we mostly ranked wines in accordance to our stated preferences. I preferred Cali, Europe and Walla Walla to the rest of WA State, and still haven't warmed to Leonetti Reserve - to my palate not a hot mess with some age but I'd spend my 2 bills elsewhere.

As a group we did really well identifying which wines were which (we knew 2 Napa wines and a BDX were in the line up). Skifree nailed the BDX as 2003 on first sniff - impressive pick up and there were others. Generally speaking as a group we seem to have learned and grown together. Nice.

The WA State sparkling wine Jason brought ( imo unfortunately over-thought when it was labelled "Scintillation") was terrific! 5 years ago I started to hear more and more about the potential of the Columbia Gorge AVA - steeply-sloped, sunny but markedly cooler than the rest of Eastern WA, mistral-like winds blowing consistently. It's been argued that it's an excellent environment for Burgundian varietals. Here's evidence - if I'd scored every wine we drank this Pinot/Chard Brut would have for me won the night. I've no doubt that in a blind line up of Champagnes it would make a strong case.

Penultimately I know we discussed this tasting group with some of you at our last larger event. After this tasting we've come to the conclusion that more than 8 participants presents more wines than we can deal with and still keep it together enough to not get sloppy with our notes, driving home etc. If someone would like to put together another CT tasting group in the Seattle area though please let me know, I'd be more than happy to try to get to more than one of this type of event a month.

And finally, as usual, it was a rare pleasure gents! Can't wait to puzzle out a blind-line up reds from the upside-down areas of the world!

< Message edited by hankj -- 9/14/2013 6:39:33 AM >

(in reply to f22nickell)
Post #: 9
RE: SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS&q... - 9/16/2013 5:47:09 PM   
skifree

My WOTN of the night was not a wine - it was the food - 96+. It was terrific.

A couple of caveats before I share my notes. First, my palate tends towards left bank Bdx and Red Mountain in Washington. Second, I found my palate a bit fatigued during the tasting - 8 cabs is a lot. I wonder if decanting would have helped me. So, in general I was not too keen on my scores or my notes - felt some were on, some were off. Finally, for me there is a big difference between giving a 90+ and an 89 - the move from "very good" to "outstanding" is significant subjectively. However, moving between 90, 91, and 92 is not, so my rank order is hardly chiseled in stone.

Finally, I brought the Ch. Ste. Michelle Reserve Cab - Cold Creek Vineyard. This was the first single vineyard cab produced in the state, if I remember, so I wanted it to be good for sentimental reasons. Two of my fellow 8 thought this was corked; I just thought it was way past peak, and appreciated the forest floor nose and tart cherry in the mouth.

My scores:
2002 Spring Mt. Vineyard - 92
1999 QC Red - 91
2001 Pepperbridge - 90+
1999 Dominus - 90+
2002 Leonetti Reserve - 90

2003 Ch. Lanessan - 89
1980 Ch. Ste Michelle Reserve - 87
2005 Walter Clore Reserve - 86

I also want to echo what Hankj stated: I truly enjoyed the evening in all aspects. And since some of you have visited my little place in the country, thought you would be interested to know that a lightning bolt from the storm that delayed the Seahawks - 49ers game hit one of the fir trees at the front of my property - that will wake you up! No damage to the house, but the electronics in my new gate were fried (now replaced). Will send pics of the damage it did to the tree if interested.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 10
RE: SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS&q... - 9/16/2013 6:31:28 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Another great job, guys.  Freelon, a fried fir tree is always of interest.

Interesting too that a CSM Cold Creek Cab was there.  This has been a wine I've been intersted in since a) reading Gregutt's book where he tasted and reviewed a ~20 year vertical, and b) when we had a Sunnyside address we were about 3 miles from the vineyard.  Truly a desolate place that it's amazing someone decided to plant grapes out there.  I've drank the wine a few times, but always seem to forget about it since I don't have a constant source for it.

Also, we attended a wine event this past Saturday where some very nice wines were served during the tasting, Cote Bonneville Carraige House, Col Solare, Spring Valley Frederick, Pepperbridge Cab, Amavi Cab , Columbia Red Willow Cab.  My favorite Cab that I tasted that night was the current vintage (2010 I think) of the CSM Cold Creek Cab.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 9/17/2013 10:47:38 AM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 11
RE: SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS&q... - 9/17/2013 9:09:00 AM   
mye

Hankj, pm coming! would love to join!

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 12
RE: SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS&q... - 9/17/2013 10:42:29 AM   
Slye

I would be interested in a second group, though I must confess I am not nearly as sophisticated in terms of tasting notes and analysis! I do have some South African wines from the 90s and 2000s (for a possible upside down part of the world tasting), and multiple verticals of Cayuse........

(in reply to mye)
Post #: 13
RE: SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS&q... - 9/17/2013 7:53:03 PM   
skifree

As requested by Chris, here are some pictures of "fried fir tree" from the lightning strike. It actually exploded along the bark in a spiral motion - so hard to photograph well - but the pictures of the shards, including a spear in the ground, will give you an idea of the force. My neighbor found a piece by his clothes line, which is about 50 yards away.

R1: Updated pics, still not great as it was dark and I had to face the setting sun when shooting. Second one shows the tree with my house in the background (to show how close the lightning strike was from the house). Only minor surface damage to the bark at the base of the tree.

The best images are in this .avi, despite my shaky hands. http://s1312.photobucket.com/user/SkifreeH/media/20130916_30_zps0732c5c9.mp4.html?sort=3&o=3

< Message edited by skifree -- 9/18/2013 7:04:14 PM >

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 14
RE: SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS&q... - 9/18/2013 8:27:39 AM   
ganderwa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slye

I would be interested in a second group, though I must confess I am not nearly as sophisticated in terms of tasting notes and analysis! I do have some South African wines from the 90s and 2000s (for a possible upside down part of the world tasting), and multiple verticals of Cayuse........

My Wife and I would also be interested in a second Seattle group. We are also not at the sophistication level of the good folks on this thread. Furthermore we only really started collecting 5 years or so ago. We don't have anything wise and aged in our collection. I suppose, depending on the theme, we can always pick up an appropriate vintage/varietal.

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 15
RE: SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS&q... - 9/18/2013 12:10:18 PM   
Stirling

That looks to be an amazing evening of wine and food.

I still have 3 bottles left of the 1999 Quilceda Creek Cabernet. It is one of the greatest wines I have drank (polished off 3 of the 6 I bought) and based upon my last visit 6 months or so ago, I think this wine is destined for a great future. This is an elegant vintage but I love how it is evolving. Those looking for a bruiser may be disappointed, but it will be difficult to surpass this wine for complexity, aromatics and balance.

My blog: www.advinetures.ca

(in reply to ganderwa)
Post #: 16
RE: SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS&q... - 9/18/2013 7:24:57 PM   
jrockman

Great write-up as always, Sott. The Spring Mt just didn't do it for me, might be true of Cali cabs in general, although I really haven't that many.

For those of you who think you're not sphisticated wine-wise, not to worry; this group keeps letting me come back each month.

(in reply to Stirling)
Post #: 17
RE: SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS&q... - 9/18/2013 8:35:59 PM   
skifree

Sott?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

< Message edited by skifree -- 9/18/2013 8:37:33 PM >

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 18
RE: SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS&q... - 9/19/2013 6:40:08 AM   
jrockman

quote:

ORIGINAL: skifree

Sott?

Oops!

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 19
RE: SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS&q... - 9/19/2013 8:42:58 AM   
f22nickell

Sott? ... Is that a british term ... as in "Drunken Sott"?

“ Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do. ”
— Ecclesiastes 9:7

F22nickell on CT ...
S_Nickell on WB ...

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 20
RE: SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS&q... - 9/19/2013 4:30:22 PM   
hankj

People looking to start a second group: venue is an issue. The place we use now is through f22's good graces; I think some other forum members also store wine at the same place and so have access to the event space. Maybe we could check in w some of them to see if they'd host an initial get together?

(in reply to f22nickell)
Post #: 21
RE: SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS&q... - 9/20/2013 12:48:59 PM   
mye

Looks like original group is full. put me down as in for a 2nd group if there are enough interest..

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 22
RE: SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS&q... - 9/22/2013 10:14:54 AM   
Slye

SWS in Seattle might be able to host? I store most of my wine there.

(in reply to mye)
Post #: 23
RE: SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS&q... - 9/24/2013 8:37:54 AM   
hankj

Sounds good to me - should we pm the maybes and think about a date to taste a little wine talk about a Seattle II tasting group in Seattle? Not that I don't love the Seattle Bellevue group as much as ever!

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 24
RE: SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS&q... - 9/24/2013 10:55:45 PM   
Jenise

Great event and great notes. Interesting to see something like that old Michy in the lineup; wouldn't have expected it to be good at 30+ years. Ch. Michelle has never made wines for the long haul, and 30+ years is quite a task for any Washington wine. So many seem to just fade away rather than develop fascinating secondary characteristics of the kind that good CalCabs, like Dominus, do. Of older WA wines I've had, only QC and Woodward Canyon have shown those kind of legs.

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 25
RE: SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS&q... - 9/25/2013 12:03:17 PM   
kcbrian

F22 and Crew.

I had a 1992 Dominus with dinner last week and really liked the wine except for the everpresent cedar flavor in the wine. Is this a common tasting thread with Dominus or was it likely specific to the vintage?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Brian

There can't be good living where there is not good drinking.-Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 26
RE: SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS&q... - 9/25/2013 4:35:17 PM   
BRR

I don't recall the cedar specifically, but it shows up in f22nickell's TN above (which you likely saw).  I just ran the WS database for professional reviews of Dominus Estates and three of the first four notes (the highest scoring, according to James Laube - the 2009, 1997 and 1991) have "cedar" specifically as a descriptor.  I'd say you're onto something for sure...

Cheers!

(in reply to kcbrian)
Post #: 27
RE: SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS&q... - 9/25/2013 5:00:38 PM   
hankj

I've noticed cedar in the small sample (3) bottles of Dominus I've tried.

A follow on on the old CSM. In the spirit of "no one in the group made the wine," and noting that I was stoked at the chance to try something that old from WA State, I thought it was way, way over the hill. To the point that it was super-thin and musty in that way really dead wines seem badly corked (or maybe just badly corked?). If I opened it at home it would have been sniffed some, swished a little then spit and dumped. IMO this wine was at least 10-15 years out of its window.

And once more note it was fun to try - sort of a local museum piece. In 1980 there were only 17 wineries in the state (pushing 1000 now) and barely a grape on Red Mountain! The majority of vineyards were planted to whites. Boy have things changed since then.

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 28
RE: SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS&q... - 10/19/2013 1:58:35 PM   
Slye

Hi hank et al. I am up for a Seattle off line. But I am traveling a lot between now and mid November. If someone organizes, I will attend, and happy to bring a number of Cayuse -- I have pretty much everything from 2001 or 2002. As far as place, we could do Seattle Wine Storage -- they have a nice tasting room/lounge.......

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> SEA Wine Tasting Group - "AGED WA BDX BLENDS" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI