CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Brrr

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Brrr Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Brrr - 11/21/2013 8:27:34 PM   
BornToRhone

Not that you care, but the temperature here just outside the Big-D just dropped 25 degrees in 1.5 hrs. Low last night was 68 and low tonight is 41 degrees. Global cooling is upon us!

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --
Post #: 1
RE: Brrr - 11/21/2013 8:30:10 PM   
jrockman

Shoot, we'll be down in the 20's tonight.

(in reply to BornToRhone)
Post #: 2
RE: Brrr - 11/21/2013 8:30:26 PM   
champagneinhand

Snow expected here late tomorrow afternoon throughout Monday. I am so not ready for this!

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to BornToRhone)
Post #: 3
RE: Brrr - 11/21/2013 8:37:11 PM   
crispinio

Single digits tonight in the Yak.  Ice wine picking for those brave enough.   I had some carboys of wine outside cold stabilizing.  I brought them in for fear they would freeze solid.

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 4
RE: Brrr - 11/21/2013 8:38:40 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: crispinio

Single digits tonight in the Yak.  Ice wine picking for those brave enough.   I had some carboys of wine outside cold stabilizing.  I brought them in for fear they would freeze solid.
opps, logged in as wrong elf.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to crispinio)
Post #: 5
RE: Brrr - 11/21/2013 8:39:59 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

quote:

I was wondering what the CT elf was doing in the Yak. Thought you maybe had a sleigh with flying reindeer.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 6
RE: Brrr - 11/21/2013 8:45:17 PM   
mc2 wines

Felt like our massive drop was earlier this week when we went from 60 degrees to 30 degrees in the course of an afternoon/evening.

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 7
RE: Brrr - 11/22/2013 2:38:56 AM   
musedir

Bit of a yo-yo down heah. Back to low 70s today but this weekend dropping 20F and setting a tone for Turkey Day. What? Freezing cold in Georgia? Nothing to see... Keep moving.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 8
RE: Brrr - 11/22/2013 5:58:39 AM   
khmark7

Usually cold and wet weather continuing here in Chicago. Over 6 inches of rain so far this month, and it is still raining. That is over 15 cm of rain in just 20 days for those metric people.

Expecting single digits tomorrow morning and very cold temps for the football game....around 20°F.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 9
RE: Brrr - 11/22/2013 6:38:50 AM   
Redrunners

For a minute there I was impressed that he was making ice wine in Boston....

I guess if you can't import it, you have to make your own.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

quote:

Drinking good wine with good food in the company of friends is one of life's great pleasures.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 10
RE: Brrr - 11/22/2013 9:37:05 AM   
mye

in the low 30s last night.... and of course our furnace broke..
that was unpleasant.. :(((

(in reply to Redrunners)
Post #: 11
RE: Brrr - 11/22/2013 10:50:33 AM   
dontime

Steady rain all day today. Much colder tomorrow with snow on Sunday. We head to Florida on Wednesday!

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to mye)
Post #: 12
RE: Brrr - 11/22/2013 10:56:29 AM   
Soxgirl

Predicted wind chill for Pats-Broncos game Sunday night is single digits. Hell, it's only November!

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 13
RE: Brrr - 11/22/2013 10:56:51 AM   
wineismylife

Pretty much the same thing here. It's been pretty much raining off and on since last night. Now steadily raining. Mid to low 30s. Wind gusts 30 mph. Sunday and Monday we're expecting heavy sleet.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 14
RE: Brrr - 11/22/2013 11:23:11 AM   
kcbrian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Soxgirl

Predicted wind chill for Pats-Broncos game Sunday night is single digits. Hell, it's only November!

Great! Am pulling for the Patriots.........since Denver is our arch enemy out here in Kansas City!

Brian

There can't be good living where there is not good drinking.-Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to Soxgirl)
Post #: 15
RE: Brrr - 11/22/2013 11:55:50 AM   
annerk

It's a pleasant but overcast 75 here right now. I'm still California dreaming though.

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel

(in reply to kcbrian)
Post #: 16
RE: Brrr - 11/22/2013 12:02:44 PM   
fingers

Hey Anne,

We've had two consecutive days of rain in So Cal. The local news believes it's the end of times.

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 17
RE: Brrr - 11/22/2013 12:06:04 PM   
telemachus87

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

Hey Anne,

We've had two consecutive days of rain in So Cal. The local news believes it's the end of times.

Based on how people drive on the freeway, it is the end of times. No one in So Cal knows how to drive in the rain. As someone who was taught to drive in the dead of winter in the upper Midwest, I find it laughable.

I know this will provoke some ire, but sometimes a little rain is nice...it means I can actually see the mountains.

My Locker

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 18
RE: Brrr - 11/22/2013 12:07:23 PM   
annerk

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

Hey Anne,

You can always use it. People forget that.

I'm going through a long and involved interview process with a company based out of Santa Ana. Supposed to hear from them for a second phoner next week. And then an in-person in early December. If that happens, I am hoping to extend the trip and spend a few days in LA/WeHo/Los Feliz/Santa Monica and/or all of the above. I'll let you know, maybe we can get together and open a bottle.

As of now I'm the only candidate they are looking at (they are recruiting me) but who knows.

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 19
RE: Brrr - 11/22/2013 2:47:45 PM   
srwatters

Y'all in the northern and eastern part of the US have it bad, but it's more the norm than what we get down here in Texas. We've dropped from a high of 85 degrees on Sunday 11/17 to a high today of 43. That just ain't right!

I'm with BornToRhone, Brrr.

Life is too short to drink cheap^h^h^h^h^h bad wine...
My Current Collection

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 20
RE: Brrr - 11/22/2013 6:37:18 PM   
ckinv368

There's really nothing better to do in cold, nasty, rainy weather than to sit inside, get the fireplace going, drink nice earthy red wine, cook something hearty, and read all weekend! Of course, with weather like this, I may need to pick up more wine--because it isn't getting better anytime soon!

After the two bottles of claret, we had three bottles of Krug . . . one for love, one for country, and one for symmetry. -- A.J. Liebling

When in doubt, sip your dessert.

(in reply to srwatters)
Post #: 21
RE: Brrr - 11/23/2013 8:30:55 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Lot of folks and machines braved it...  http://www.greatnorthwestwine.com/2013/11/22/british-columbia-washington-wineries-welcome-early-harvest-ice-wine/

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to ckinv368)
Post #: 22
RE: Brrr - 11/23/2013 9:00:16 AM   
musedir

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

Bit of a yo-yo down heah. Back to low 70s today but this weekend dropping 20F and setting a tone for Turkey Day. What? Freezing cold in Georgia? Nothing to see... Keep moving.

I spoke too soon and with punished arrogance... Ma Nature has responded with temps in low 60s and off/on rain. Gonna hit low 30s at night this week... Maybe it will kill some Mosquitos? Louisville, on the other hand, is showing highs in mid-40s and lows in 20s while we are there... Now where did I put my coat?

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 23
RE: Brrr - 11/23/2013 9:07:24 AM   
Old Doug

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

Louisville, on the other hand, is showing highs in mid-40s and lows in 20s while we are there... Now where did I put my coat?

I thought it was "Lowell-ville."

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 24
RE: Brrr - 11/23/2013 9:10:28 AM   
wineismylife

Currently 36 and light, cold, piercing rain here. Might get to 41 today but I doubt it. Heading towards 29 with lots of sleet predicted for tomorrow and Monday. That pretty much is the apocalypse for Texans.

Joe

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 25
RE: Brrr - 11/23/2013 9:19:29 AM   
Old Doug

I say bring on the cold weather. Just about everything we do makes heat - run lights, motors, move around, digest wine, etc. Don't fear the cold, embrace it, become one with it! That's what I tell my wife when she thinks it's a little too cool in our place. She looks at me like, "You ******* idiot."

It was surprising in Nova Scotia - not a "hot" place at all, the average temperature in July and August, the warmest time of the year, being only 65 degrees or 18 for those of a Celsius bent, and still - what with the heat gain from the sun and all our human activities, energy costs for cooling were more than for heating.

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 26
RE: Brrr - 11/23/2013 9:25:04 AM   
Soxgirl

As we say in New England, don't have to shovel the cold. Actually, maybe it's only me that says that...

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 27
RE: Brrr - 11/23/2013 9:31:25 AM   
Old Doug

quote:

ORIGINAL: Soxgirl

don't have to shovel the cold.

I googled it, Soxgirl, and it's out there.

(in reply to Soxgirl)
Post #: 28
RE: Brrr - 11/23/2013 11:24:29 AM   
wine247365

I arrive at Love Field Sunday night. My family just called and said due to the weather, they don't want to come from Plano to get me. So, just reserved a room and car at Love. I'll need to drive into West Fort Worth Monday and wanted to pose the question about the weather and road crews, which is do you think they'll be out sanding the major roads into and on Monday? This begets another question, our connecting flight is from Hobby. Do they ever close Love with storms like what's expected? I'm wondering if we might be stuck at Hobby.

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 29
RE: Brrr - 11/23/2013 11:44:59 AM   
wineismylife

wine247365, you'll be fine. I presume you're flying SW since you're flying into Love. SW generally will take off hell or high water. I really don't expect it to be that bad up here. Sure, we'll likely get sleet but it has been warm here up until yesterday so I don't think much will stick except to overpasses, trees, roof-lines, etc... Typical North Texas overreaction.

Joe

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Brrr Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI