CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

vilmart grand cellie disgorgement

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> vilmart grand cellie disgorgement Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
vilmart grand cellie disgorgement - 12/9/2013 7:32:26 AM   
bacchus

Disgorgement date is embossed in numerals on lower right of front label. Does anyone have experience reading these? Do we think it follows European convention of day before month or visa versa?

An early happy new year to all.

A Country Gentleman
Post #: 1
RE: vilmart grand cellie disgorgement - 12/9/2013 7:46:33 AM   
champagneinhand

I think most dates are given with day then month. Even in the Army, this is how things are always written, its a NATO standard, so I would bet you are correct in you assumption about EU standards.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to bacchus)
Post #: 2
RE: vilmart grand cellie disgorgement - 12/9/2013 8:01:45 AM   
kcbrian

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/11/dining/reviews/champagnes-disgorgement-dates-provoke-debate.html?_r=1&ref=dining

Who knew our military training could be so valuable.

Brian

There can't be good living where there is not good drinking.-Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 3
RE: vilmart grand cellie disgorgement - 12/9/2013 8:16:24 AM   
champagneinhand

quote:

ORIGINAL: kcbrian

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/11/dining/reviews/champagnes-disgorgement-dates-provoke-debate.html?_r=1&ref=dining

Who knew our military training could be so valuable.

Nice article, but I think that champagne will never buckle to any perceived consumer pressure as the region sells all of its wine, as there is an over demand for their product. I do like disgorgement dates, but think we will never see the NV go away without significant price increases for the NV with better base years, and that doesn't necessarily mean the are of better quality at all. There is a reason the is a chef du cave, and that is they know what they are doing when they release the wines. they have been trained and learned to put out a product that is consistent with a houses perceived style. This may not be as important to the smaller grower houses, but tradition is a huge thin to the bigger and older major marques. It has kept demand for their product as people generally know if they are fans of Veuve Clicquot (Which I am one), or they stick with wines from Piper-Hiedsieck, (I appreciated the style P-H puts onto the market, but its not my favorite.) Champagne has long surrounded itself in mystery and will most likely continue to do so as long as they are able. No other region has put as much into litigation, and marketing with the possible exception on marketing in Bordeaux.

Great article, and a nice find Brian.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to kcbrian)
Post #: 4
RE: vilmart grand cellier disgorgement - 12/21/2013 9:20:48 PM   
budh

Does your code have three numbers? Mine shows 1 12 11, but I was thinking the first character might be an "L" for lot number. I don't know why they would get so specific to include date, in addition to month and year. Any write-up I see about Vilmart Grand Cellier refers to a month and year of disgorgement, never a date. I was guessing that my code meant lot 2012 November.

(in reply to bacchus)
Post #: 5
RE: vilmart grand cellier disgorgement - 12/21/2013 11:21:01 PM   
champagneinhand

The first digit is an L followed by the month and year. Is the disgorgement date on the front label as opposed to the space on the back label that says disgorgement date being blank? This is common for Vilmart. I don't know why, but several people that have posted recent tasting notes have had their bottles have the number on the front label as well. Mine have the L 12 12 on the front label in red.

(in reply to budh)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> vilmart grand cellie disgorgement Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI