CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Some like it hot

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Some like it hot Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Some like it hot - 2/1/2014 3:09:45 AM   
S1

This topic expands on a Syrah thread here as well as a thread from another universe.
I got into Calif Syrah with early vintages of Copain and followed up with Roar, Lucia, Pisoni etc., all fruit forward but still well made. In 2007 Copain had a radical change in style, opting for lower alcohol/higher acid Syrah (and PN/Chard etc.)
Two weeks ago I opened an 09 Copain Halcon, 12.8 ABV. It was marvelous, and perhaps WOTD. My palate has moved toward these cooler climate Syrahs which have more in common with Northern Rhone (Windgap, Arnot-Roberts). I still buy Saxum and Alban but prefer the more restrained wines. I also buy Carlisle and Bedrock which I consider restrained but perhaps not as lean as the Copain/A-R stuff.
Here's the questions for discussion. Which California Syrahs are you buying and why? Where do they fall on the "jam-o-meter?"

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)
Post #: 1
RE: Some like it hot - 2/1/2014 5:33:06 AM   
musedir

Scott, you know how much I have enjoyed the A-R wines, and in return I might suggest a WA wine maker, Sean Boyd, who is truly interested in using the unique soil and climate particulars of Walla Walla in his wines at Rôtie Cellars. His Northern Blend is 95% Syrah and 5% Viognier with an alcohol level around 14%.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 2
RE: Some like it hot - 2/1/2014 5:50:53 AM   
khmark7

Why limit it to California?

I purchase my west coast Syrah from Washington & Idaho, primarily. The rest from Rhone & South Africa. I prefer a more restrained style, but am still exploring.

Washington - Fielding Hills & St. Laurent (moderate restrain)
Idaho - Sawtooth & Coiled Wines (moderate restrain)

I do have others, but am still forming my opinions with regard to style.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 3
RE: Some like it hot - 2/1/2014 5:58:51 AM   
Eddie

I buy, and drink, more of Syrah than any other varietal; but I buy very few from CA. Northern Rhone is mother's milk to me. The only CA syrah I am purchasing in regular increments is Nicora, and I haven't opened any of those yet...I'm aging them out for a while, as per suggestions from CT reviews. In the past year I've also drunk, from CA:
2009 Petrichor (huge hit with our wine club, but to my palate, needs a few more years in the bottle);
2007 JKL (a little hot, more oaky than I like, but fairly good; California-ish);
2009 Stolpman Originals (Oaky, California-ish);
and a few others I've forgotten.

Scott, your palate and mine seem to be fairly similar, so let me recommend one from Washington State: 2011 Proper Stone's Throw. We had one the other night, and were quite impressed. Very feminine and Oregon-Pinot-like, it's about as far from a Parkerized Shiraz-bomb as it is possible to be. We had bought six, and after trying our first bottle, I wanted to acquire more, but alas, it's sold out. If you can manage to latch on to one somehow, be sure to try it.

V horam in quodam loco est.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 4
RE: Some like it hot - 2/1/2014 6:01:34 AM   
musedir

+1 on the Proper.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 5
RE: Some like it hot - 2/1/2014 6:28:32 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

California Syrahs I've had that have a cool climate profile are

- Herman Story Nuts and Bolts.  It's pretty high on the jam-o-meter but has lots of gravelly, smokey, tarry underpinnings I associate with dirt and cool climate.
- The Missing Leg St. Peter of Alcantara- also certainly CA jam there, but a nice wallop of savory funk.  Tiny production but worth seeking out at very reasonable price.

I've also tried a few syrahs from Washington state.  2011 Rhones vintage is now in release for most places, though some are already releasing 2012.  2011 was one of the coolest vintages in WA's wine history, so many/most of those wines will meet the criteria.  Particular ones I'm excited about not yet mentioned are Betz, Force Majeure, Owen Roe, Maison Bleue, Naches Heights, Mark Ryan, Goedhart, aMaurice, Avennia, Balboa, Sleight of Hand, Eight Bells, Southard, Fausse Piste.  We're strongly considering Taste Washington at end of March where I might spend a whole day seeking out and comparing 2011 WA Syrahs. 

Another place to look for cool climate Syrah is Southern Oregon.  Roxyann, Folin are a couple of those I've enjoyed.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 6
RE: Some like it hot - 2/1/2014 6:40:18 AM   
Eddie

Chris, let me know how the 2011 Fausse PIste turns out. I have some of their 2010s but haven't opened them yet.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 7
RE: Some like it hot - 2/1/2014 7:04:25 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eddie

Chris, let me know how the 2011 Fausse Piste turns out. I have some of their 2010s but haven't opened them yet.
I have a couple of his 2011 lower end blends from a visit a year ago.  La Pyramide impressed me a lot then, so I think the single vineyard 2011's have a chance to be very good.  I need to get down to Portland to taste and see what's going on there.  The website is in maintenance mode and wasn't usually up to date anyway.    I've been holding everything from 2010 too, I got a mixed case,  but it probably is time to sample something.

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 8
RE: Some like it hot - 2/1/2014 7:12:08 AM   
Eddie

I've been meaning to sample one of the F.P. 2010 Riverrock Vineyard bottles soon (so many wines, so little time ); when I do, I'll ping you and we'll compare notes.

Post #: 9
RE: Some like it hot - 2/1/2014 8:29:53 AM   
mcsac67

For California Syrah, I like Peay (especially La Bruma), Arnot Roberts, Bedrock, Carlisle and, especially, Halcon. The Halcon Alturas definitely reminds me of Northern Rhone and is an incredible value (I have not tried any 2011 yet).

That being said, I am definitely on the Washington Syrah bandwagon.

Scott

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 10
RE: Some like it hot - 2/1/2014 9:19:20 AM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

Why limit it to California?

because that's what this thread is about. It's fine to start thread about Washington, Idaho, Northern Rhone, Roussillon, Switzerland, Algeria, Oregon, Canada...
If we're going to thread drift let's go ahead and include Pinot Noir, Cabernet, Chardonnay, Gamay, Grenache...

Hijackers start your own thread

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 11
RE: Some like it hot - 2/1/2014 10:08:47 AM   
msieurledocq

S1, check out the TNs on Radio Coteau, particularly the Timbervine, Dusty Lane and (if you can find it) Cherry Camp. It's Sonoma Coast stuff, and I've found the wines complex, floral, smoky and meaty -- but they might not be what you're looking for.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 12
RE: Some like it hot - 2/1/2014 10:12:49 AM   
S1

and fyi all--I'm not looking for recs, I am looking for discussion.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 13
RE: Some like it hot - 2/1/2014 10:22:45 AM   
fingers

I like Cabot on the cool side of the spectrum and McPrice Myers on the warm side. Herman Story can be hit or miss (mostly hit) for me. The '07 Nuts and Bolts did not make me smile. Syrah from Larner Vineyard also scores high in my book

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 14
RE: Some like it hot - 2/1/2014 10:23:27 AM   
fingers

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

Oh well

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 15
RE: Some like it hot - 2/1/2014 10:32:55 AM   
dsGris

I find that I have definitely moved into the AFWE old world camp and some of my favorites Syrahs and Zin are by Pinot winemakers. Most of our friends still like the more fruity, oaked versions. That said when given the chance when dining out I will choose a Barbaresco or Langé rosso.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 16
RE: Some like it hot - 2/1/2014 10:41:51 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

Which California Syrahs are you buying and why?

quote:

Hmmm????

fingers, have you had any Larner Syrah from Larner as producer?  I got a bottle from my SoCal wine shop wine club a few months ago, but waiting to open. 

I've found McPrice Meyers, a couple of examples, to be too extracted, off the scale, on jam-o-meter.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 2/1/2014 10:46:02 AM >

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 17
RE: Some like it hot - 2/1/2014 11:10:17 AM   
Eddie

My review of the 2009 Parmelee-Hill Syrah Block B from 10/24/2013:

Simple, but rich, robust, and voluptuous. This wine exhibits flavors of blackberry, black pepper and oak, and has lots of body, with well-integrated tannins. Very Sonoma-ish; in the style of a Helen Turley Zinfandel. It's a pretty-if-slightly-overfed-high-school-cheerleader of a Syrah. Not my style (I prefer Northern Rhones), but my wife loved it, and most of our wine club will also love it, I suspect. 89 points.[/i]

Post #: 18
RE: Some like it hot - 2/1/2014 11:33:16 AM   
Eddie

We're drinking a 2009 Petrichor Les Trois while watching the game. This is the sort of un-California, un-Parkerized Syrah that S1 references. My review:

Delicious, floral, feminine expression of syrah. Blueberry and blackcurrant flavors, accompanied by fine, well-integrated tannins. Reminds me of the 2011 Proper Stone's Throw. Drinking well now but can hang on for a few years. Decidedly un-Parkerized.

92 points now; will gain a point or two with a couple of additional years of cellaring.

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 19
RE: Some like it hot - 2/1/2014 1:15:20 PM   
fingers

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

quote:

Which California Syrahs are you buying and why?

quote:

Hmmm????

fingers, have you had any Larner Syrah from Larner as producer?  I got a bottle from my SoCal wine shop wine club a few months ago, but waiting to open. 

I've found McPrice Meyers, a couple of examples, to be too extracted, off the scale, on jam-o-meter.

Have not tried those produced by Larner, just McPrice Myers, Stolpman, and Herman Story (not sure which HS one it is, name-wise). For me, the McPrice floats in just below Tobin James and Mollydooker in terms of syrupy jam and heavy mouthfeel. A few MM have definitely been OTT, and I think it shows more in the Syrah than the Grenache, but whenever family and wine-loving (but not wine-geek) friends are around the McPrice is what I open. It's so likeable to them and still structured enough for me to love, too. White Hawk vineyard is another plot I would never hesitate to buy in regards to Syrah and expect a real treat.

Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Some like it hot Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote