CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Our first trip to Napa

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Our first trip to Napa Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Our first trip to Napa - 2/8/2014 6:34:10 PM   
mtpisgah

Napa January 29-February 2, 2014

Three weeks ago my sweet little wife asked me if I wanted to go to Napa at the end of January or the end of March. I thought about it, for about 1/2 a second, and said yes. She had found cheap flights and so we started planning. To get the cheap flight we would have to fly out of Charlotte which is not ideal, and we have gotten spoiled flying out of GSP. It is just so much easier at the end of the trip to not have to drive two to three hours home. But that is the price you pay for being a world traveler. It would be a short trip, leaving only three full days for tastings and it was not likely we would get in a tasting the day we arrived due to the drive time from San Francisco to Napa.

I started my research on which wineries I wanted to visit, I knew some would be places we had bought from before and some would be new to us. As usual, I wanted to avoid the big wineries and just hit the ones that are usually only open by appointment. Since we would be driving ourselves, we would have to limit our tastings to one before lunch, and one to two after. We have done this a few times and it works for us, especially since I can get palate fatigue quickly and then it is all a waste. First on the list would be Myriad since we really enjoy Mike Smiths's wines. As it turns out, Mike hosts his tastings at Envy which was also on our list. Two down. I had heard a lot about Lewelling and was on the wait list so that was a done deal. I contacted Will at Rivers Marie and while he was able to add me to the mailing list rather than the wait list, he said a tasting would be tough since it was just him and Thomas. Combine that with their spring release a week before and Will's newborn, it would not look good. We talked a few days before the trip and he tried to work it out but we already had other tastings set and he did not think we could make it to him in time. The good news is that he said Lewelling was his favorite tasting in Napa so at least we knew we made a good choice with that one. Of course we would have to stop by and see Smig at Dacalier since we know him from the boards and have enjoyed a few bottles of his wine. Then came the question of doing one larger winery: Lewis or Pride. We have a friend here in Greenville who knows the owners at both wineries and he suggested we go to Pride and he was willing to set up a private tasting that would hopefully include barrel samples. We then decided that we should hit Sonoma for one day so we set up Copain and Williamson there. I think it will be a good lineup and while we would love to do more wineries, it is a short trip and we will want to hike in the mornings.

Then can the food choices. We usually go out a few times but also do some cooking on our own so we can eat a little healthier and have the convenience of sitting at our lodging and not have to drive at night. Caroline wanted to go to French Laundry if at all possible. I started calling and was finally able to get through after about 30 tries...really. They put us on the wait list and said they would call. Then I started looking at the reviews of the restaurant and realized the cost, holy cow batman! We started reviewing other restaurants for normal meals and found a few that had good recommendations. In Napa we would eat at Solbar and in Sonoma we would go to Cafe La Haye. For lunches we would go to the taco truck near Envy, Oakville Grocery or wherever we passed by that looked good.

Lodging is always a hard call, you want somewhere nice but hate to spend a lot because you should not be there that much of the day. The first place we booked was Euro Spa based on price and a few reviews. After reading a few more reviews and Caroline finding a Groupon for the Sunburst, we decided to make the change. In Sonoma we made reservations at the El Dorado which looks like it wll be a great place.

The trip is getting closer and work is busy, do we really have the time for a vacation? Of course, I can always work in Cali aferall.

On Sunday the weather service started calling for snow Tuesday night and into Wednesday. We started worrying that it would affect our trip but tried to stay positive. We decided to leave work at 4:00 on Tuesday since it had been snowing for a few hours and head to Charlotte. Caroline saw four wrecks from work to the house, it was not looking good and would only get worse. The two hour drive took almost four due to the road conditions and we saw at least 15 wrecks in SC. NC had put deicer on the roads Monday afternoon and the pavement there was in much better condition. We made it to the hotel safely but very tired. We checked in, made a reservation for the shuttle to the airport since we could leave the car at the hotel. After reaching the room we ate turkey sandwiches for dinner and went to sleep. Sleep being relative of course since Paul only slept about four hours and Caroline not much more.

Wednesday
We woke at 5:30 so we could make the 6:00 shuttle. After showering we headed downstairs to catch the shuttle. The roads were in pretty good condition but I was still glad we did not have to drive. When we checked in at the airport we learned there was a flight that would get us to San Francisco an hour early than originally planned so we jumped on it. The flights went well and we arrived in SF safely. When we went to pick up the rental, we asked about an upgrade to a convertible, $100 you say...done. So off we went in our Mustang.

We had lunch at the Triple Rock Brewery and then headed to Napa. Or first stop was the Napa Valley Wine and Cigar to meet Carrie and Randy who I have conversed with on Wine Berserkers. We picked up a bottle of Double Diamond and asked about suggested wineries to visit. Their top pick was Alpha Omega. While we didn't plan on a tasting for Wednesday because of being tired, we just happened to pass it on the way to the hotel so we stopped off to try it, we were not disappointed. The whites were fantastic and bought a couple of the unoaked Chardonnays to take home. The reds were also great but we passed for now, we may order some later though.

When we arrived at the hotel we checked in and went to our room. The room looked clean but the bed had only been partially made. Caroline called the front desk and they offered to upgrade us to a suite for the hassle. Awesome! The room is recently renovated and very roomy. After having a light dinner in the room, we went to the heated mineral pool for a soak. We will definitely stay here again.

Thursday
We slept well and felt refreshed in the morning. We had breakfast at the hotel and then went for a six mike walk. We passed by Envy and even got to see Old Faithful. We headed back to the hotel to shower before going to the tastings of the day. As we left the hotel, we put the top down to enjoy the day more. It was a little cool but still comfy.

The first tasting was Myriad which was held at the Envy winery tasting room. We have had their wines before and have also bought Quivet which is made by the same winemaker, Mike Smith. We tasted through some of the Quivet, Myriad, Carter and Ancillary wines, including barrel samples of the Myriad including the 2012 Beckstoffer Dr Crane Reserve, they were all fantastic. The tasting lasted about an hour and a half, with eight wines total. It was a big way to start the day and the CC reflects it. Mike is a great guy and told us about his wine making, his past, and everything else under the sun. I would love to sit around talking to him for hours.

We walked to the taco truck down the street for lunch, I had the beef tongue burrito while Caroline had the beef tongue quesadilla. They were both out of this world, we are hoping our other meals in Napa will be this good.

We headed back to Envy for their tasting. I skipped the tasting this time since we did the Myriad tasting on an empty stomach. They had another couple there tasting so we did not get the personal attention that we did with Mike but Mark was able to spend some time with us so it was still enjoyable. Caroline enjoyed the tasting and we picked up a few bottles to take with us.

We then raced off to Pride up Spring Mountain Road. We arrived at Pride and checked in with Jason and learned that two other couples would be joining us for the tasting. We started with a chardonnay that was a bit too citrusy for me but not bad. We moved on to the cellar where we tasted a merlot from the bottle, a merlot from the barrel, and a cab from the barrell. They were all great wines but the cab was the best, still very tight and in need of some aging though. All of the barrel samples still need to be blended to the final wine that will be bottled.

We talked to Jason about the other wineries we had already been to and a few of the other wines we usually buy. He knew the other winemakers and we hit it off with him much more than the other tasters did. When we got back to the tasting room he opened a reserve cab and claret and told the other tasters that they were in luck because he had to open the top wines to compete against his friends we had already visited. It was a great visit and a very attractive winery. We ended our visit by driving through the winery for a few pictures.

One the way back from Pride. She drives a WRX at home so she was not impressed by the Mustang's power.

We arrived back at the hotel and jumped in the pool for a quick soak. We then got ready for dinner at Solbar which is a Michelin starred restaurant. While the food was good, it was a it too foo foo for us, and we don't mind foo foo food sometimes. The taco truck for lunch was better. The service was great and I can imagine it being a great place to eat during the summer when you can sit outside next to wone of the fires.

Friday
We got up this morning and had breakfast at the hotel. We then went out for a hike at Bathe State Park. We hiked about six miles and enjoyed the trail. It was very quite, strangely so in fact. We have spend a lot of time in the woods and are used to hearing the sounds of critters, but here there was notihing. Kind of nice, kind of weird.

After the hike we headed to Dacalier to see Dave Smigeleski. We have had a few of his wines before and they are a great QPR. He is also making the Napa CT custom crush wines which are fantastic. We tasted the Dacalier, Vin de Temps, and six of the custom crush wines. All were fantastic and we are now hoping to get on the wait list for the 2012 wines.

We went to the Oakville Grocery for lunch, it was fantastic. I had the chicken quesadilla and Caroline had the smoked turkey sandwhich. For desert we split a double carrot cake cookie. It was to kill for. It is farm to table food and the place was packed even in the off season, I cannot imagine how busy it would be during the summer. After lunch we headed to Lewelling for a tasting with Jill. The tasting is at a house on the property. She told us all about the history of the family and the winery, it was very intersing. We sat down to taste the one wine they made for 2011. They only make cabernets and they have a great reputation. Jill served us cheese and bread with the wine and it was great, very subtle with a pop and pour, much easier drinking than some of the other cabs we have had this week. Then she dropped the bomb, they don't have amy wine available for sale. We are on the waiting list but it could take years to get on it. Their production is very limited and they just don't have enough to go around. We inquired about why they still offer tastings, free at that, if they do not have wine available. Jill said that it is just how the owner likes to do it. Caroline asked if we could buy what was remaining of the bottle and she said no, but she would give it to us take back to the hotel. We very excited to see how it would evolve during the evening. We walked around the winery property to enjoy the beautiful weather before heading out to pick up dinner.

We went to Dean and Deluca to get something to take back to the hotel. Salads, mac and cheese, and some chocolate. It was all very good. We opened one of the Alpha Omega chardonnays and also had some of the Double Diamond, and finished off the Lewelling. We would have bought six of the Lewellings if they had them available, I hope we get on the list soon. It had evolved nicely over the few hours it had been opened

Saturday
We got up and had breakfast at the hotel again and then went to Robert Louis Stevenson Park to hike. It started with a nice single track trail and then we turned on to a gravel road. We continued to hike for a few miles on the road wondering if we had missed the trail. We later saw some other hikers and realized that we were going the right way, it just seems like a bummer to hike on a road all day. We put the top down on the car and headed back to the hotel to shower and pack the car so we could head to Sonoma. We went by the convenience store where the taco truck parks but they were not there so we continued on until we could find something to eat.

We pulled into Healdsburg and stopped at the Oakville Grocery for lunch. We ate in the park in downtown and then walked down to Williamson Wines for a tasting. This was an open tasting room and was a very different atmosphere than what we had experienced thus far. The wines were good even if a little over priced for a few of them. The tasting staff is apparently not used to people who know anything about wine and told us all kinds of things about the wine and cheese pairing. Unfortunately some of the things they said are not exactly true and did not endear themselves to us. Saying that they thin the clusters from the vines so the grapes get more nutrients is a good thing. Saying that most wineries do not do this is just wrong though. We did buy some of the truffle salt but passed on the wine, we can always have Dave Curran buy a few bottles since he is a member of the club.

We headed to UPS to ship the case we had collected over the past few days. Since we actually had 13 wines, we kept out one of the Envy's to drink with dinner tonight. UPS ran the total for the shipment and it was $108, I about had a heart attack. I told him we would just buy the styro shipper box and take the wine on the plane for $25 as a checked bag. This is the issue with buying just a few bottles at a winery I guess. We headed on down the road for our tasting at Copain. When we arrived we were given a glass of the chardonnay to sip on while the other tasters were gathered together. Bob, the tasting staff member who helped us, took us outside to talk about the winery and the property. It is a great property and has a wonderful view. I could sit in the Adirondack chairs all day and just gaze at the view. We then went back inside to do the rest of the tasting at a table. Caroline and I say down with the other five tasters and started off with two pinot noirs. They were both fantastic and much less fruit forward than the Williamson wines. We then moved on to the syrahs which were also fantastic. They reminded me a little of some WA syrahs but without as much fruit. All of the wines were very enjoyable and we bought a mixed case to have shipped home. After the tasting we say in the Adirondack chairs for a bit just to enjoy the view. I wish we had enough time to enjoy a glass of wine and lunch sitting there, we will on the next visit.

When we left Copain the temperature had gone down a little and we knew we had about an hour drive to Sonoma where we would stay for the night. We arrived at the El Dorado Inn and checked in. We had dinner reservations for Cafe La Haye but decided to have dinner at the Inn instead since it was so convenient and the menu looked great. After canceling the reservations at Cafe La Haye and unpacking the car, we took the half finished bottle of AO unoaked chardonnay and Envy Bee Bee's Blend down to the restaurant where they do not charge corkage if you are staying at the hotel. We both started with the tuna tartar which was splendid. I am not big on avocado but was on a bed of it and it did add something nice to it. The wasabi was mixed with flying fish roe which I do not usually like due to the saltiness but the wasabi cut it just enough so it was awesome. I then moved on to the beef carpaccio and Caroline had the pork belly with scallops. We both had the mixed greens salad which was very good. For desert I had the gooey chocolate cake and Caroline had the apple crisp. The cake definitely went better with red wine but the apple crisp may have been a little bit tastier. We retired to our room and we to bed. While the Sunburst beds were very comfy and the hotel was quite, the El Dorado beds were not at all comfy and the street noise was hard to deal with. Overall the stay was still good however and the restaurant made up for it.

Beef carpaccio is awesome.

We woke Sunday morning to rain which ruined our plans to drive to the airport with the top down. We headed straight there just in case we could get an earlier flight out but we had no luck. We got the case of wine checked in and headed into the bowels of the airport for breakfast. After eating we found our gate and eventually boarded the plane for the long flight home. The trip was fantastic and we are already starting to talk about when to go again and which wineries to hit. We will definitely return to Myriad, Dacalier, and Copain because the experience and wine are so fantastic. A return to Lewelling will also be likely although not being able to buy the wine is kind of a bummer. But I am a patient man.

< Message edited by mtpisgah -- 2/9/2014 6:28:47 PM >

Paul

I read books to pass the time until the next bottle of wine.
Post #: 1
RE: Our first trip to Napa - 2/8/2014 6:44:48 PM   
S1

nice pics
One of you needs a shave

Sorry--I could have warned you about Lewelling. Did you see the goats? HRH named them Scott and Steve.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 2
RE: Our first trip to Napa - 2/9/2014 4:15:36 AM   
mtpisgah

We did not see the goats although Jill told us about them. We walked part of the property and checked out the old homestead. It is a shame no one lives in it.

Paul

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 3
RE: Our first trip to Napa - 2/9/2014 4:32:00 AM   
annerk

Looks like you had a blast! Be careful, it's a hard place to not want to return to time and again.

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 4
RE: Our first trip to Napa - 2/9/2014 6:49:16 AM   
dontime

Tasting with Mike and Mike at Envy is a real treat. I buy the Myriad and Quivet (and now Ancillary) ever chance I get.

Anne's right. Hard not to want to go back for ever vacation.

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 5
RE: Our first trip to Napa - 2/9/2014 7:42:55 AM   
musedir

Smig's Vin de Temps was one he stuck in my SS package. Had it last weekend and was not disappointed in the least. Well made!

As for "need a shave" I think Paul could grow a beard in 24 hours.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 6
RE: Our first trip to Napa - 2/9/2014 8:33:50 AM   
Yossarian

Fantastic stuff. That is one happy looking man

< Message edited by Yossarian -- 2/9/2014 9:04:53 AM >

New April 2021 Mix Here

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 7
RE: Our first trip to Napa - 2/9/2014 9:02:02 AM   
Redrunners

Sounds like a great trip - brought back some nice memories from our couple of trips from the past few years.

You hit a few spots we haven't made it to yet - will have to add them to my list.

My wife is pushing to go back again this Fall. However, I am taking the family to Italy for several weeks, so will have to wait and see.

Nice pictures and narrative.

Drinking good wine with good food in the company of friends is one of life's great pleasures.

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 8
RE: Our first trip to Napa - 2/9/2014 9:27:18 AM   
Sourdough

Thanks for Sharing!

The French Laundry is a pretty wonderful experience but it is hard to justify the dollars (which at $1k or so for two will buy a good bit of great wine!) I would have suggested a couple of alternatives in Yountville that provide some of Keller experience...

First would be the Bouchon Bakery (which has some of the finest almond croissant I have ever had) and Bouchon which is his bistro. Much less expensive and pretty consistently wonderful.

But there are many great places to eat and you found a few of them. But with so many delis and wineries to experience...it is time to begin planning to go back!

Salud!
Jay

(in reply to Redrunners)
Post #: 9
RE: Our first trip to Napa - 2/9/2014 9:31:34 AM   
wadcorp

Paul: Great write-up. And so glad you made it out to Napa.

Late January is a terrific time to go out there. No crowds. You'll often find yourself the only ones there for many tastings. And you're still getting away from the snow (at least in our case).

Nice photos as well.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 10
RE: Our first trip to Napa - 2/9/2014 1:52:41 PM   
ShawnM789

Nice post and pics Paul. Some good places to taste as well.

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 11
RE: Our first trip to Napa - 2/9/2014 2:05:11 PM   
kcbrian

Paul,
Great pics. I have not been to Sonoma /napa since I lived in Cali 96-99. Thanks for the inspirational pics and story.

Brian

There can't be good living where there is not good drinking.-Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to ShawnM789)
Post #: 12
RE: Our first trip to Napa - 2/9/2014 4:03:00 PM   
roguetrader97

Great recount, Pisgah, very enjoyable to read. Good for you two and it looks like an incredible trip.

Im glad my wife and I had a driver for that trip down from Pride. Looks like your lady handled it just fine...

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 13
RE: Our first trip to Napa - 2/9/2014 6:27:52 PM   
mtpisgah

I am glad everyone enjoyed the write up. I did one for Walla a Walla to but never got around to posting it, is four months later too late?

We are hoping for a trip to France in the fall but if that falls through, we may go to Napa again. Still too many good wineries to go to.

Paul

(in reply to roguetrader97)
Post #: 14
RE: Our first trip to Napa - 2/10/2014 8:34:56 AM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: mtpisgah

I am glad everyone enjoyed the write up. I did one for Walla a Walla to but never got around to posting it, is four months later too late?

Don't think I ever posted about our trip to Willamette last year.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 15
RE: Our first trip to Napa - 2/10/2014 12:15:01 PM   
mc2 wines

Thanks for the wonderful write-up - sounds like a great time!

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 16
RE: Our first trip to Napa - 2/10/2014 3:08:33 PM   
YoDaddyO

Great retrospective! Never got around to writing one for our trip last November.

Glad you loved A/O...one of my favorites...got my liking whites again...love the huge contrast between the Oaked and Unoaked Chard.

Started buying the ERA back with the '08 and just opened my first last year...top 3 for me. Not as crazy about some of the variety they are branching out into but love their core cabs, chard, rose and late harvest.

DaddyO

Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin

"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 17
RE: Our first trip to Napa - 2/10/2014 4:09:36 PM   
pipegarcia

Nice trip. I make almost the same trip 2 years ago. Love Alpha Omega, Pride and it's cave and Carter wines. Cheers

(in reply to YoDaddyO)
Post #: 18
RE: Our first trip to Napa - 2/10/2014 6:05:31 PM   
BornToRhone

Awesome trip notes, Paul!

+ 100 on Mike Smith, Pride, Decalier(Smig), and Bob at Copain!

SH and i just got back from that region today - Details are sketchy.....

I vaguely remember something about visiting Ridge Monte Bello, Big Basin, David Bruce, Favia, a Rudius release party, Bob at Copain, dinner at Oenotri, small plates at Zuzu, and driving my first hybrid vehicle.

Besides that, it's all a blur!

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to pipegarcia)
Post #: 19
RE: Our first trip to Napa - 2/11/2014 6:39:10 AM   
cookiefiend

quote:

ORIGINAL: mc2 wines

Thanks for the wonderful write-up - sounds like a great time!

+1000

I know it's already been said, but what a wonderful write up! It looks like you had such fun!

Dawn

'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'
Aldous Huxley

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 20
RE: Our first trip to Napa - 2/12/2014 11:03:34 AM   
Bob in NC

Very nice accounting of your trip. I always have good intentions to do the same but life always seem to get in the way. We really like the A/O unoaked Chards too - had bought a few when we were there about 2 years ago.

Bob

(in reply to cookiefiend)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Our first trip to Napa Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI