CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Former Posters To Note

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Former Posters To Note Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Former Posters To Note - 2/7/2014 11:43:12 PM   
ckinv368

Why can't we find a person that is a blend between Pavie Princess and Serge? Let's say maybe 65% PP, and 35% Serge? Like the finest blend between Semillon and Syrah, I'm sure sure it would be satisfying for all!

After the two bottles of claret, we had three bottles of Krug . . . one for love, one for country, and one for symmetry. -- A.J. Liebling

When in doubt, sip your dessert.

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 31
RE: Former Posters To Note - 2/7/2014 11:55:29 PM   
champagneinhand

So we need to get ytsai to get a little provocative? Serge has his place. He is blatant and tries to agitate, but I don't think its that horrible. We need a few people to push status quo. I do this serge is traveling a lot more, as are many, and like the business and changing life circumstances, some just can't post as frequently, or when the cellar fills you do feel a bit different. I know I can purchase very few bottles right now. It does take some of the fun out of things, but it makes the opening segment quite fun, those with common bottles.

If you see somebody you enjoy a lot fading sen them a message. No reason not to. fellowship is all part of the forum experience. I couldn't find a guy who didn't post on the forum, but often commented back and forth between the champagne section. All of his TNs are gone is his handle, when checked under friends. That's what I hate, as I don't know what happened to the guy, and why his notes are all gone. I know some people change there names, but usually I can find corresponding handles when they switch.

I do think we need to try and get people that are in cT, that live in our regional area, to get together a couple times per year. We only have about 6 people in the Finger Lakes to Buffalo. We do get visitors once and awhile, but we have yet to have a local get together. Its hard when even an hour apart, as nobody wants to bring a designated river and nobody wants to drive after drinking. Tough call. Especially when certain restaurants turn out to be duds. We have actually only had that happen once, and had used them before with no issues. Just wrong time of year I guess.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to ckinv368)
Post #: 32
RE: Former Posters To Note - 2/8/2014 12:09:07 AM   
ckinv368

May I humbly suggest the CT Texas Offline threads as an example of people that live a very long distance apart getting together a few times a year for VERY enjoyable weekends. The folks that have been at it far longer than I have been so accommodating and friendly and welcoming, I couldn't help but enjoy myself. And then, there's always the wine . . .

After the two bottles of claret, we had three bottles of Krug . . . one for love, one for country, and one for symmetry. -- A.J. Liebling

When in doubt, sip your dessert.

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 33
RE: Former Posters To Note - 2/8/2014 12:32:19 AM   
champagneinhand

quote:

ORIGINAL: ckinv368

May I humbly suggest the CT Texas Offline threads as an example of people that live a very long distance apart getting together a few times a year for VERY enjoyable weekends. The folks that have been at it far longer than I have been so accommodating and friendly and welcoming, I couldn't help but enjoy myself. And then, there's always the wine . . .

That is a good point as is Charleston. I drive 1000 miles each way. Unfortunately all the people up here don't participate in the forum. In fact KPB is the only one currently, and we had a few from the Binghamton area. I have driven to Toronto, but they really seemed to be more of a cohesive group on WS forum. Its to bad, as they are a great group of people, but are kind of tottered souls being bound up by the LCBO, but almost all of them have storage sites on the American border. A very fun group, but C-town is a great group as well.

It is one of my goals to make it down to Texas in the next year or two. It all depends on what life serves up. I will make it to Kansa City as I used to do my reserve duties there and have a brother on the Kansas side. Air fares are pretty horrible right now. That's the reason we are driving to Orlando, but fares start going down in March. They really have the school breaks nailed down up here, and know people are desperate to escape the cold. It sucks to be nowhere near a hub city...

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to ckinv368)
Post #: 34
RE: Former Posters To Note - 2/8/2014 7:21:17 PM   
ytsai

quote:

ORIGINAL: champagneinhand

So we need to get ytsai to get a little provocative?

I have run out of interesting wines to post

Last week I acquired a 1990 Conti during a trip to Japan and posted it on my FB, the reaction I got from Hollowine was "yawn..."

Post #: 35
RE: Former Posters To Note - 2/8/2014 8:32:33 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ytsai

quote:

Last week I acquired a 1990 Conti during a trip to Japan and posted it on my FB, the reaction I got from Hollowine was "yawn..."

It was only a 750ml...

(in reply to ytsai)
Post #: 36
RE: Former Posters To Note - 2/8/2014 9:52:28 PM   
Wine_Strategies

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ytsai

quote:

It was only a 750ml...

and it was only one 750, need at least a case. Sheesh

Tim

https://ItalianWine.Smugmug.com

https://www.italianwine.blog

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 37
RE: Former Posters To Note - 2/9/2014 5:23:33 AM   
khmark7

Bryan, Toby, & some others from that large island north of France have been quiet of late, as have the Hong Kong contingent. Guessing that small children and career does this.

I do appreciate hearing commentary from around the world.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to Wine_Strategies)
Post #: 38
RE: Former Posters To Note - 2/9/2014 5:41:21 AM   
musedir

Khamen ran out of vestal virgins and needed fresh meat for the stones.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 39
RE: Former Posters To Note - 2/9/2014 6:41:21 AM   
champagneinhand

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

Khamen ran out of vestal virgins and needed fresh meat for the stones.

K is lurking at the perfume sections of Harrods and the counter people and customers are hoping the Bobbies come and thump him with a billy club as they get worries when he finds a wonderful smell and howls at the moon while shaking a leg. A bit frightful for the well to do ladies that stroll in for something to get the young lads to open up their wallets and buy some nice drinks while partying in the clubs of London. He will come back now and again. I think it must be really hard now that he has to be very careful with eating and drinking.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 40
RE: Former Posters To Note - 2/9/2014 2:42:38 PM   
slaughterer

I have not posted for nearly a year now, I think. The discussion board at CT always seemed secondary to the basic inventory/tasting note data bank that gives the site value.
In the discussion board I found a lot of the banter in the past a little cliquish and insider jokish esp. with the UK members who dominated the daily poster space, and then there was a lot of I-know-more-about-wine-than-you or I-can-spend-more-money-on-wine-than-you. There were some remarkable contributions from time to time, but often enough the topics of discussion slowly became something I could no longer contribute to or even take an interest in. The best thing to evolve out of the discussion board was the Bordeaux trips, but then I never joined them.
I do not know: you guys are making fun of prominent members who have moved on. Why do you think they moved on? You have speculated. But maybe this discussion board needs a re-think.

Post #: 41
RE: Former Posters To Note - 2/9/2014 2:54:30 PM   
floydtp

quote:

ORIGINAL: slaughterer

I have not posted for nearly a year now, I think. The discussion board at CT always seemed secondary to the basic inventory/tasting note data bank that gives the site value.
In the discussion board I found a lot of the banter in the past a little cliquish and insider jokish esp. with the UK members who dominated the daily poster space, and then there was a lot of I-know-more-about-wine-than-you or I-can-spend-more-money-on-wine-than-you. There were some remarkable contributions from time to time, but often enough the topics of discussion slowly became something I could no longer contribute to or even take an interest in. The best thing to evolve out of the discussion board was the Bordeaux trips, but then I never joined them.
I do not know: you guys are making fun of prominent members who have moved on. Why do you think they moved on? You have speculated. But maybe this discussion board needs a re-think.

Wow. I have always viewed this board as one of the more welcoming, friendly and forgiving boards around. The other 7-9 boards I participate in or read daily are 10x worse with the established members treating newbies for their first few years on the board as if they were fresh recruits at Paris Island.

(in reply to slaughterer)
Post #: 42
RE: Former Posters To Note - 2/9/2014 3:04:38 PM   
slaughterer

Maybe other boards are worse, and there are a surplus of "welcoming, friendly and forgiving" members around here, that is true, However, the code of distinction and social prominence here still plays out here like on other boards, just with a bit less brazenness than maybe you are used to. I honestly do not know what people expect. The wine world is so gigantic and tastes are so divergent, it is really hard to lock into a topic of discussion here that I can connect to. Maybe one out of ten threads have maybe 2 or 3 worthwhile contributions from which I learn something valuable. "Snark "really fills out a lot of the rest, like with any online forum or blog.

(in reply to floydtp)
Post #: 43
RE: Former Posters To Note - 2/9/2014 3:15:19 PM   
khmark7

Haven't really noticed that slaughterer. Like many others I feel this board is more friendly that others, and the inside jokes are fun and friendly. Those posters who are not around have not had conflict that I am aware of with those of us remaining. I wish them no ill will and enjoyed their contributions. Life just gets busy and some people need a break from online activity. I do think it is difficult to be away and then pop back in and always understand the humor and new characters.

Post #: 44
RE: Former Posters To Note - 2/9/2014 3:50:36 PM   
floydtp

quote:

Maybe one out of ten threads have maybe 2 or 3 worthwhile contributions from which I learn something valuable.

I do agree with this as this board is more social in nature than educational. I go to WB when I want to learn.

Post #: 45
RE: Former Posters To Note - 2/9/2014 5:21:56 PM   
annerk

quote:

Um, who is making fun of anyone?

It's unfortunate that you don't feel more welcomed here. I find these boards far less cliquish than the other wine communities--particularly Berserkers where I am a member but don't believe I've ever posted as I feel that I would not be at all welcomed there.

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel

Post #: 46
RE: Former Posters To Note - 2/9/2014 5:46:36 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: annerk

quote:

Um, who is making fun of anyone?

It's unfortunate that you don't feel more welcomed here. I find these boards far less cliquish than the other wine communities--particularly Berserkers where I am a member but don't believe I've ever posted as I feel that I would not be at all welcomed there.

Perhaps he is commenting on that barbaric chap Yossarian making fun of that poor tortured soul pjaines???

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 47
RE: Former Posters To Note - 2/9/2014 5:53:12 PM   
annerk

I believe that there is some sort of gentlemanly agreement that every time Yossarian mentions pjaines, he has to buy the drinks.

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 48
RE: Former Posters To Note - 2/9/2014 6:42:30 PM   
dsGris

quote:

ORIGINAL: floydtp

quote:

Maybe one out of ten threads have maybe 2 or 3 worthwhile contributions from which I learn something valuable.

I do agree with this as this board is more social in nature than educational. I go to WB when I want to learn.

Most comments here have some validity. I pop in quite regularly and only find a few topics of interest which I am sure is the case with others. Reading and commenting is voluntary. I sometimes am guilty of posting inane things, hopefully for the humor and try to not be snarky, that is what Berserkers is for. Over on Berserkers, I have become comfortable posting. I is a little intimidating at first. But there I pick and choose my topics and skim over the rest. Like most things we go through learning, middle and tail end enthusiasm periods. I can live with that. We are here for you when ever you need or want us.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to floydtp)
Post #: 49
RE: Former Posters To Note - 2/9/2014 7:53:42 PM   
champagneinhand

Good point. There is no competition on what is posted or what isn't. If there is something that interests you feel free to post on it. Wine is a big world. Just today we had somebody bring up Sherry, and a lot of us really want to learn more on this.

A forum is or isn't what you make of it. I do a couple other forums on Jeep and watches. I have a lot of disposable time, especially in winter, and my computer is on-line a lot. I don't think we should be restricted on any topic. WB or WS has many threads and topics and its an as you wish type of format. I have been treated really hostilely about 7 years back and got into it with f=some folks from aux that insisted I was Serge, and needed a Canadian friend to set up a global phone call, yet a bunch of us were bounced, even though I was clearly not Serge.

Serge and I have had a good laugh about that. I like that there is grower info, as well as home wine making info here. It may be elsewhere. I can tell you I really like a British point of view to see what wines you have in the U.K. that we don't have access to yet. We hardly have the selection of Burgundy and many French, Spanish and German stuff we will not see for a while.

I know the Canadians prefer to use WS, because there is a lot of similarities because of the provincial monopoly system, like LCBO, which is similar to the Pennsylvania system, but sometimes they get bargains that we don't. Gepetto and some of the BC guys get better rates on CdP premium wines.

However, it good to get input. Change can only happen from input. We would all benefit from more knowledge of European wines for sure.

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 50
RE: Former Posters To Note - 2/9/2014 9:35:54 PM   
Old Doug

I think we go through our own "life cycle" on message boards. This is overlaid with all our myriad internal and external periodicities, as we feed into the group flow.

Post #: 51
RE: Former Posters To Note - 2/10/2014 2:57:55 PM   
YoDaddyO

I've been kind of quiet since hosting one of the TX Offline's here in Austin for no other reason than offered by champagne and some other early posters on this thread that I've hit an activity capacity limit that keeps me pretty distracted during times that I used to spend participating a bit more actively.

Definitely have prioritized my son's baseball which has kept me from all "Offline" activities. The good news is that he will be pitching in D1 next year. My first offline was when he was in 8th grade in San Antonio at the amazing TWG's home where I learned a hard lesson in tasting and the rationale behind spitting as well as enjoyed the best wine I have still ever had to this date: who can forget that Taylor Fladgate Vintage port?

I do miss the British banter as well...very fun and erudite even if a bit drunken.

Slaughterer...JMHO...but I think you are missing the subtlety of the good neighbor humor of this board that I've always equated with playing poker, golf or opening bottle after bottle...it's always fun, in good humor, and the first liar always loses.

Having said all that...

Moving to Dallas this summer, will still have to suffer with the Texas 3-Tier two step, put my commercial efforts with Castleman Cellars on hold and am (going forward) syndicating production with friends, family and prior fans of the 6 vintages I produced thus far (settling on an Oakville 6 acres cab and a White Hawk Syrah as my sources), sending two to college and 2 more moving out of the single digits, sold my company and have my first boss in 20 years.

Finally...trying to winnow down my cellar to wines I actually want to drink as I recover from the knee jerk buying that i succumbed to during the flash sale heyday.

DaddyO

Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin

"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 52
RE: Former Posters To Note - 2/10/2014 3:57:36 PM   
geppetto

I also agree that there is a "life cycle" on a forum such as this. While not exactly the same, I am a member on a car forum. When I first bought the car, I was on the forum everyday. Eventually, I ended up as a community organizer. I was living and breathing the forum. Then suddenly, it seemed that everything seemed to become a repetition of past events. Car meets were the same - go to the beach, pop your hoods, stare at the same mods and then drive to Whistler. After years on the forum, I just disappeared. Occasionally, when I pop back in, it is filled with new people who are talking about the same old things.

I imagine this forum might be similar. I am still on a huge learning curve, so almost every topic is new to me, but I am sure that some of the more experienced winos roll there eyes when they see some of the questions/topics. This being said, what I do think is different about this forum is the opportunity to develop friendships that can grow with time. The CT Seattle group is a good example. We are on round three, but as each event occurs, my ability to add to the group will grow as my holding develop. I think the friendships that are built here are like wine - As time goes on they become more mellow and develop in complexity.

I also find that the people here tend to be pretty good eggs. I still can't believe that total strangers ordered a Coravin for me when they found out that I couldn't buy one in Canada (that has changed now). What kind of people do that?

All these dumb spelling mistakes are because I'm using my iPhone. Damn autocorrect! OKAY OKAY, maybe it has a little to do with the consumption of too much wine...

(in reply to YoDaddyO)
Post #: 53
RE: Former Posters To Note - 2/10/2014 4:38:59 PM   
mc2 wines

Having been relatively new a bit over a year ago I can see how it could feel like there's a bit of an insiderness to this group. One of the awesome things is many ppl actually know each other in real life and not just via the forum, but could see how it could feel difficult to be part of some of the stories. I think what was so impressive to me though was how welcoming everyone is when you meet them in real life and how many fantastic and very divergent personalities there are that somehow all seem to bond over a common love of wine. I can see us growing into and out of this forum over time, but I know we made friends through it that we will keep even when we're not as active.

(in reply to geppetto)
Post #: 54
RE: Former Posters To Note - 2/10/2014 5:56:35 PM   
BornToRhone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yossarian
pjaines less so - that drunken, good for nothing bum.

I don't think you RREALLY know him - upstanding member of the wine society that he is!

< Message edited by BornToRhone -- 2/10/2014 5:57:03 PM >

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 55
RE: Former Posters To Note - 2/22/2014 4:55:51 AM   
S1

quote:

quote:

this
It is also the primary reason some of these former posters are former posters

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to floydtp)
Post #: 56
RE: Former Posters To Note - 2/22/2014 6:16:31 AM   
J2K

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

quote:

quote:

this
It is also the primary reason some of these former posters are former posters

Wine IS social.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 57
RE: Former Posters To Note - 2/22/2014 7:02:06 AM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: J2K

Wine IS social.

agree
but social is not necessarily wine

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 58
RE: Former Posters To Note - 2/22/2014 7:39:27 AM   
Tpety

I prefer this board to others because of its civility. I find a few other boards to be immature and cliqish (sp?). But, just as I had gotten rid of all the crazies on my facebook account, I then complained because my feed was boring.

I think CellarTracker has purposely flown under the radar for many years. Even though I loved Serge and all his nutiness, I'll admit that I had him "hidden" for a while on another board.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 59
RE: Former Posters To Note - 2/22/2014 9:12:07 AM   
hankj

Hey I make fun of people all the time on this message board. I thought is made me kinda adorable. Sorry about that.

Also does anyone remember champagneinhand? Rarely posted, but when he did it was concise and on point. Miss that guy.

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to Tpety)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Former Posters To Note Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI