CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

CT Seattle Tasting Group Leonetti Reserve 10 Year Vertical Tasting, 2000-2009

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> CT Seattle Tasting Group Leonetti Reserve 10 Year Vertical Tasting, 2000-2009 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CT Seattle Tasting Group Leonetti Reserve 10 Year Verti... - 3/31/2014 4:46:06 PM   
hankj

[Sorry for any typos/inelegant prose - plowed through this headlong in a quick break from a busy work day.]

First and foremost thanks very much to f22nickell and his lovely better half for hosting this very special event and providing all the Leonetti reserve for the tasting. It was a rare privilege and a good time! Since I'm the only one in the group who jotted down anything even remotely like formal notes I'll lead with my take on the ten Leonetti Reserves and then let others differ as they might. Or rather will - Leonetti Reserve, I've had the opportunity to learn in the past year or so, is maybe not a bad wine but certainly not a wine for my cellar.

A few points of preface. We tasted 2000-2009 and poured in that order. As we progressed through the wines they got darker until 2004 and then pretty uniformly ultra-dense from there. This isn't just a function of age - the wine's become more extracted, and also higher in alcohol: 13.8% in 2000, 13.9% in 2001, 14.5% in '02 and '03, then 14.7% for the rest of the lineup. I believe it's correct that 14.7% is the highest alcohol level that can be put on a label in WA State w/o incurring the higher fortified wine tax rate, and that the margin of error is 1% from what's on the label. So ostensibly everything from 2005 forward could be as high as 15.7% alcohol, and some of them drank like it.

I'll present wines on a 1 to 5 star scale. 1 means I wouldn't pour a glass for an enemy; 5 means it's a great wine in my book. My scores varied from 84 to 92, but truth be told this isn't my style of wine and I wouldn't be ready to pour a second full-sized glass of even my favorites of the group. Though not noted below, many wafted a little oily coconut from the glass which to me is a turn off (but I'm in a little bit of a hater-phase when it comes to new American oak).

That said some of these wines were quite enjoyable in small doses. I'll start though at the bottom.

Leonetti Reserve Rankings 2000-2009

1 stars:

2006. This wine is the poster child of my problem with WA State lux cabs - bone dry, olivey, stemmy, bitter astringent, highly alcoholic. A rough, ugly wine. Not too expressive so probably shut down.

1.5 stars:

2005. Similar to 2006, boozy and more dry herbal than bitter. Seemed shut down and I can't see it waking up pretty.

2001: Less alcoholic than the two above with blue fruit, cocoa powder and sage-like dry herb. High volatile acidity to my nose was unpleasant and hard to sniff past.

2 stars:

2000. The group is going to skewer me on this one but the 2000 revealed stewy fruit, ample acetone and menthol that tainted the otherwise pleasant bright blackberry and vanilla notes. The palate added a good dose of black pepper which I could take or leave. It reminded me very much of a ten year old bottle of Silver Lake cab I found forgotten on a supermarket shelf about 5 years ago. It had developed some aged character but in the clunky way I've found many WA wines do - not worth waiting for.

2.5 stars:

2007. Dark cherry, black pepper, bell pepper, dry herbs. In the mouth more green/olive and a long barrel-driven finish. The most austere wine of the group. This one had a little Chile in its profile, and might have been a good choice alongside a rich grilled steak.

3 stars:

2002: Syrah-like fruit profile and a nice cedar note. A little bit of pleasant brett too. Slightly lighter-bodied (though still dark) and hid its alcohol well. The most BDX-like of the group, I liked it but preferred the 2003 Smith Haut Lafite that was open on the pre-tasting table.

2004: A bigger, more alcoholic and more acidified version of the 2003 that follows. Good but fatiguing.

3.5 stars:

2003: Integrated nicely, lush, black currant, chocolate, mint. A softer wine and definitely the most Napa-style of the lot. Drank like textbook Cab. I liked it.

2009: Getting late in the tasting, but my notes say "big fruity baby, soft and simple." It was quite good in a hedonistic way. I'd be surprised if this improved over time but if you ran out of Turley and were in the mood here's your recent vintage for a right now bottle.

4 stars:

2008: Big black wine, thick blackberry, cocoa, coffee, lush, rich and dense. Good structure and hid its alcohol very nicely. Probably will age "well" in the way that these wines do, so if that your thing you could sit on this for a year or 20. I'd be just as happy drinking it now.

So that's how they hit me, and what a stroke of luck to have had the chance. Thanks again to the hosts, to all the participants for the jovial company, and a shout out to jasongreen for bringing my WOTN, a shed baby fat but still bright-eyed Sauternes, '75 Nairac.

best to all! Henry

< Message edited by hankj -- 4/2/2014 12:11:43 PM >

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry
Post #: 1
RE: CT Seattle Tasting Group Leonetti Reserve 10 Year V... - 3/31/2014 6:15:05 PM   
caeleric

just curious: did you know you weren't really a fan of leonetti's style previous to this tasting?

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 2
RE: CT Seattle Tasting Group Leonetti Reserve 10 Year V... - 3/31/2014 8:10:18 PM   
f22nickell

Thanks Henry. While I would love to provide some counterpoint as Leonetti Reserves are arguably my favorite WA wines, I didn't take any notes due to playing host more than anything else. I do recall that 2000 and 2003 were my favorites. 2000 due to its emerging secondary and tertiary flavors, 2003 for its long, complex, and hugely evolving finish.

However, regardless of the wines served, I had a wonderful time with all my wine-consuming friends. Its these type of events that add that bit of Nitrous to the fuel of this passion ... Very enjoyable evening.

“ Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do. ”
— Ecclesiastes 9:7

F22nickell on CT ...
S_Nickell on WB ...

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 3
RE: CT Seattle Tasting Group Leonetti Reserve 10 Year V... - 3/31/2014 8:15:40 PM   
LaPetitVacances

Hi all,

What a fun night! Thanks again to Scott and Theresa for hosting. And thanks to everybody for bringing such great food and some really great bottles.

The 2000 was my favorite Leonetti as well. It was just starting to develop some secondary flavors, yet had nice blue fruits. well built in my opinion. It was also the lowest alcohol bottle in the Leonetti lineup at 13.5%. It wasn't hot or boozy at all, which I must say became quite a bit to deal with as the rest of the lineup clocked in at 14.5% or higher (much higher in some cases IMO) .

I liked the 2008 (and the 2003 to a lesser extent). Nice acidity and fruit, long finish. I thought the wines in the middle of the line up one dimensional and similar. Probably closed up.

The Sauterne was Amazing. Still fresh and full of zesty acidity after all these years. Initially I thought I wanted a little more weight in a Sauterne, but after a few more sips I changed my tune.

After about two hours of air the 2003 Smith Haute Laffite really opened up. A little funk, balanced and clean. A nice effort from what I understand is regarded as a poor vintage.

MLB-HRB

(in reply to f22nickell)
Post #: 4
RE: CT Seattle Tasting Group Leonetti Reserve 10 Year V... - 3/31/2014 8:32:28 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

I haven't had any of these wines, but wonder a couple of things...

Do the participants think the Leonetti style has changed over the years, to "chase" others, mainly Quilceda Creek?  I think there was a change in  primary wine maker as some point, does that coincide?

Do folks know if 2004 was sourced from different vineyards from the others?  I know much of Walla Walla Valley lost most fruit that vintage so many WW wineries sourced outside that valley.  That could explain an outlier in style or presentation?  

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 5
RE: CT Seattle Tasting Group Leonetti Reserve 10 Year V... - 4/1/2014 8:12:43 AM   
BRR

Nice recap, hankj. Even though you're crazy and definitely wrong.

I'm really sad to have missed the tasting, as many of you know that the two other times that a Leonetti Reserve was poured blind in our tastings, they were my WsOTN, both times. Positively, however, the one, lone bottle of Leonetti Reserve I own is the 2000. Looks like I have a goodie.

Cheers!

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 6
RE: CT Seattle Tasting Group Leonetti Reserve 10 Year V... - 4/1/2014 8:29:43 AM   
f22nickell

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

I haven't had any of these wines, but wonder a couple of things...

Do the participants think the Leonetti style has changed over the years, to "chase" others, mainly Quilceda Creek?  I think there was a change in  primary wine maker as some point, does that coincide?

Do folks know if 2004 was sourced from different vineyards from the others?  I know much of Walla Walla Valley lost most fruit that vintage so many WW wineries sourced outside that valley.  That could explain an outlier in style or presentation?  

According to the Leonetti Cellar's info sheet, the 2004 Reserve was 100% Mill Creek Upland (their Estate vineyard.)

“ Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do. ”

F22nickell on CT ...
S_Nickell on WB ...

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 7
RE: CT Seattle Tasting Group Leonetti Reserve 10 Year V... - 4/1/2014 9:00:17 AM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: caeleric

just curious: did you know you weren't really a fan of leonetti's style previous to this tasting?

For me, opposite of BRR (whose tongue is obviously criminally insane ;), Leonetti Reserve's been a last or low finishing wine blind. Haven't been impressed non-blind either. Same for QC, which hasn't ever struck as anything but a hot mess. I like both houses second Cab blends better, and the two times I've had Leonetti Merlot thought it was pretty nice.

Often when thinking about how to rate a wine my trumping criterion is "how much would I enjoy a full-size glass of this?" By that standard, if we were just hanging out drinking instead of tasting 10 blind and 10 non, both $18 whites at the tasting (Vouvray and Langhe Chardonnay) would have displaced most of the Leonettis. I'm not big red-averse per se, but yes, with some exceptions, not really a fan of the premier Cab style.

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 8
RE: CT Seattle Tasting Group Leonetti Reserve 10 Year V... - 4/1/2014 9:09:35 AM   
f22nickell

Pics from the event.

Food up front, line up in the back

Part of line up

Starters

People starting to gather

Jason (JasonRGreen) & Wife

Myself (head directly behind the bottle) and Freelon (Skifree) behind me. My friend Tye stepped up and poured for the event so I could be a good host.

Left-> Right: Mike (Mqvn), Henry (HankJ), Angie (Mike's GF), and Matt (LaPetiteVacances)

Matt and his wife Heather

Left-> Right: Patti & Jeff (JRockman) and Lee (Atlantean) with wife, Vicky

Myself and my beautiful wife, Teresa.

F22nickell on CT ...
S_Nickell on WB ...

(in reply to f22nickell)
Post #: 9
RE: CT Seattle Tasting Group Leonetti Reserve 10 Year V... - 4/1/2014 9:12:54 AM   
f22nickell

quote:

ORIGINAL: hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: caeleric

For me, opposite of BRR (whose tongue is obviously criminally insane ;), Leonetti Reserve's been a last or low finishing wine blind. Haven't been impressed non-blind either. Same for QC, which hasn't ever struck as anything but a hot mess. I like both houses second Cab blends better, and the two times I've had Leonetti Merlot thought it was pretty nice.

Often when thinking about how to rate a wine my trumping criterion is "how much would I enjoy a full-size glass of this?" By that standard, if we were just hanging out drinking instead of tasting 10 blind and 10 non, both $18 whites at the tasting (Vouvray and Langhe Chardonnay) would have displaced most of the Leonettis. I'm not big red-averse per se, but yes, with some exceptions, not really a fan of the premier Cab style.

BRR and I are in the same camp, Henry is diametrically opposed ... I believe the rest of the group fall in the middle.

[edit] BTW, I've been finishing up the remaining bottles of Leonetti Reserve. Most have only a small bit remaining, but there were a couple of "full-size glass" offerings and they were fantastic

< Message edited by f22nickell -- 4/1/2014 11:57:20 AM >

F22nickell on CT ...
S_Nickell on WB ...

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 10
RE: CT Seattle Tasting Group Leonetti Reserve 10 Year V... - 4/1/2014 9:35:51 AM   
Slye

quote:

ORIGINAL: BRR

Nice recap, hankj. Even though you're crazy and definitely wrong.

I'm really sad to have missed the tasting, as many of you know that the two other times that a Leonetti Reserve was poured blind in our tastings, they were my WsOTN, both times. Positively, however, the one, lone bottle of Leonetti Reserve I own is the 2000. Looks like I have a goodie.

Me too! Both to have missed it, and I also have a 2000 Reserve. And lone bottles of a few other Leonettis, but no other Reserves. Glad to get some contemporary feedback on the 2000.

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 11
RE: CT Seattle Tasting Group Leonetti Reserve 10 Year V... - 4/1/2014 3:10:51 PM   
fasteddie35

Very jealous.... Sounds like a great night ! Ed

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 12
RE: CT Seattle Tasting Group Leonetti Reserve 10 Year V... - 4/1/2014 6:17:34 PM   
skifree

Friggin iPad ate this post last night....

My favorite wines from this tasting were very similar to Henry's, which is a bit unusual. Sadly my wife who is recovering from surgery had had enough before I got to the Sauternes, so cannot comment on those. Was thrilled she held up as long as she did. My favorites were 2003 and 2008, though with the latter I kept thinking about what will be in The future, not just what was in my mouth now. It made me start to wonder if Leonetti was making these wines to last 10-20 years like a QC, so Chris' comment may be very much on point.

Also, I reviewed my own tasting notes from Leonetti Reserve. I had the 2005 and 2004 with family on special occasions, and gave both very high scores. It made me start to realize (and something Jason and I discussed) that I score differently when I open a bottle and savor it over an evening as opposed to tasting and then judging, even when I do the latter with a group I really enjoy like this one.

Last and not least, wanted to say thanks to Scott and his beloved HRH for the excellent and generous hosting of this event. Had a great time.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to fasteddie35)
Post #: 13
RE: CT Seattle Tasting Group Leonetti Reserve 10 Year V... - 4/1/2014 7:41:47 PM   
Slye

quote:

ORIGINAL: skifree

Friggin iPad ate this post last night....

My favorite wines from this tasting were very similar to Henry's, which is a bit unusual. Sadly my wife who is recovering from surgery had had enough before I got to the Sauternes, so cannot comment on those. Was thrilled she held up as long as she did. My favorites were 2003 and 2008, though with the latter I kept thinking about what will be in The future, not just what was in my mouth now. It made me start to wonder if Leonetti was making these wines to last 10-20 years like a QC, so Chris' comment may be very much on point.

Also, I reviewed my own tasting notes from Leonetti Reserve. I had the 2005 and 2004 with family on special occasions, and gave both very high scores. It made me start to realize (and something Jason and I discussed) that I score differently when I open a bottle and savor it over an evening as opposed to tasting and then judging, even when I do the latter with a group I really enjoy like this one.

Last and not least, wanted to say thanks to Scott and his beloved HRH for the excellent and generous hosting of this event. Had a great time.

Oh I definitely agree. I think there is a big difference between tasting a number of wines side by side and savoring a bottle over a night. Or two. I think they play different roles. I would rarely have an opportunity to drink all ten vintages of leonetti. But I would also enjoy savoring one over an entire night.

Ron

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 14
RE: CT Seattle Tasting Group Leonetti Reserve 10 Year V... - 4/2/2014 7:16:04 AM   
Stirling

Wow! What a great night! For whatever it may be worth, I love the Leonetti house style, and their 2002 regular Cab (not Reserve) is one of the best Cabs I have drank. I let my Leonetti age, usually 10 years or more, so perhaps I don't get some of the heat and size that some tasters complain of. Anyhow, different strokes for different folks, that is what makes the world go around. I think it would have been a thrill to taste all of those wines side by side.

My blog: www.advinetures.ca

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> CT Seattle Tasting Group Leonetti Reserve 10 Year Vertical Tasting, 2000-2009 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI