CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Laurel Glen dupes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> Wine Data Errors & Corrections >> Laurel Glen dupes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Laurel Glen dupes - 4/8/2014 6:07:26 AM   
petitblanc

Almost every vintage of "Laurel Glen Cabernet Sauvignon" has a duplicate under "Laurel Glen Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma Mountain". As far as I know, there was always only one (and it is indeed Sonoma Mountain, although that's not really part of the wine's name even though it's on the label).

Tom
Post #: 1
RE: Laurel Glen dupes - 4/23/2014 1:20:48 PM   
Mike Evans

I mentioned the same thing in a post in November 2011, as well as that there are similar issues with Laurel Glen wines with "Reserve" in the name. Laurel Glen only made three Reserves, in '99, '93, and '90, and the '93 and '90 were only bottled in magnums. So, any Laurel Glen entry with "Reserve" in the name that isn't from 1990, 1993, or 1999 should be merged into the Laurel Glen Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma Mountain entry for the same vintage.

It would probably be too aggressive to merge any 1990 or 1993 Reserve entry that isn't a magnum into the regular estate bottling for that vintage, though, because I know from experience that it is easy to overlook the format size when entering wines.

< Message edited by Mike Evans -- 4/23/2014 1:22:02 PM >

(in reply to petitblanc)
Post #: 2
RE: Laurel Glen dupes - 4/24/2014 4:35:23 AM   
andrew

I think I have this cleaned up. We had 3rd party content whose nomenclature was not consistent with ours and that generated a spurious line that then got copied. There were only magnums in the 90/93 Reserve entries, so it was pretty clean.

Thanks,

A.

Andrew Hall

CellarTracker Editorial & Support Services

(in reply to Mike Evans)
Post #: 3
RE: Laurel Glen dupes - 4/24/2014 1:52:53 PM   
Mike Evans

Good work! Looking back at the Laurel Glen entries, at the risk of provoking you to convert every wine I've entered into CT into Apothic Red and Cupcake sauvignon blanc, it looks like there are some orphan entries for 2009, 2003, 1996, and 1994 Laurel Glen Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon/Central Valley, and they should all be merged into the Sonoma Mountain.

For a day when you are feeling particularly masochistic, the Terra Rosa line needs a lot of clean up as well, with wines listed as:

Laurel Glen Cabernet Sauvignon Terra Rosa/North Coast (1988, 1991-1995, 2000, 2001) - The 2000 and 2001 are wrong, but since there were Terra Rosa CS wines from both Chile and Argentina for those years, I don't know what to do with them. There is an image of the 1995 North Coast label in a current Winebid listing.

Laurel Glen Cabernet Sauvignon Terra Rosa/Napa Valley (1990, which is the designation that I remember from the bottles I drank almost 20 years ago were from Napa, and Wine Spectator's database shows it as a Napa, but I'm not 100% sure)

Terra Rosa (Laurel Glen) Cabernet Sauvignon Central Valley (Chile - 1991, 1992, 1994, 1996-2002) - Patrick Campbell did not start buying wine in South America until 1995, so 1991, 1992, and 1994 are wrong and should be merged into the North Coast entries for those years. The 2002 should be merged into the 2002 Mendoza.

Terra Rosa (Laurel Glen) Cabernet Sauvignon Mendoza (Argentina - 1989-1996, 1998-2002, 2004) - The entries before 1996 are wrong, as Patrick didn't start buying fruit from South American until 1996, and should be merged with the North Coast entries (or Napa, since it isn't clear which earlier years are Napa and which are North Coast).

The Malbecs are in disarray as well, but I can at least get you started with confirmation that the first actual Terra Rosa malbec was the 2003. The same page also confirms that the 2001 was the "last Chilean Terra Rosa."

I can't be of much more help on sorting out the different Malbec entries though.

< Message edited by Mike Evans -- 4/24/2014 1:57:17 PM >

(in reply to andrew)
Post #: 4
RE: Laurel Glen dupes - 4/25/2014 3:51:17 AM   
andrew

I will see what I can do here, but no promises. Where something is just too indeterminate as to what was intended, we just have to live with it.

Thanks,

A.

Andrew Hall

(in reply to Mike Evans)
Post #: 5
RE: Laurel Glen dupes - 4/25/2014 5:09:07 AM   
andrew

I think I have the above-mentioned wines in order.

The '90 NV TR was something we had enough solid enough on in the past to keep it separate and link it to the other NC version. I don't recall the details now.

I have found a whole mess of wines from the name change to Tierra Divina that need cleaned up.

Thanks,

A.

Andrew Hall

(in reply to andrew)
Post #: 6
RE: Laurel Glen dupes - 4/25/2014 6:40:45 AM   
andrew

#note for reference

In 2011, Patrick Campbell sold the Laurel Glen name and Sonoma operations. He maintained the Lodi and South American operations and those were renamed Tierra Divina.

Laurel Glen wines currently are : Counterpoint, Estate Cabernet (Sonoma Mountain,) Crazy Old Vine Rosé and The Laureate Cabernet.

Tierra Divina wines currently are : Reds, !ZaZin (both Lodi appellation), Terra Rosa Ancient Vine Malbec (Mendoza), Old Vine Malbec (Mendoza), and Vale la Pena Malbec (Valle de Uco.)

Where needed, the Tierra Divina wines have been backlinked to the appropriate Laurel Glen wine.

A.

Andrew Hall

(in reply to andrew)
Post #: 7
RE: Laurel Glen dupes - 4/6/2016 9:35:40 AM   
Mike Evans

You just can't win here, as the duplicates keep coming:

2009 to 2013 - Laurel Glen Cabernet Sauvignon Counterpoint Sonoma Mountain should be converted to Counterpoint Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma Mountain, or all of the earlier vintages of Counterpoint Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma Mountain should be converted to Laurel Glen Cabernet Sauvignon Counterpoint Sonoma Mountain
1983, 1989, 2009, and 2010 - There are entries for both Laurel Glen Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma Mountain and Laurel Glen Cabernet Sauvignon Laurel Glen Vineyard, so the latter should be merged into Laurel Glen Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma Mountain.
2013 - The wines entered as Laurel Glen Cabernet Sauvignon Laurel Glen Vineyard should be switched to Laurel Glen Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma Mountain.

(in reply to andrew)
Post #: 8
RE: Laurel Glen dupes - 4/6/2016 5:18:51 PM   
andrew

The Counterpoint is by design. The wines are linked across the name change. It was a subtle difference on the label (Laurel Glen used to be a lot smaller), but it also has a huge utility of preventing new wine creation in the old form.

Fixed the other ones.

Thanks,

A.

Andrew Hall

(in reply to Mike Evans)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> Wine Data Errors & Corrections >> Laurel Glen dupes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI