CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

The World Wide Web and The World of Wine

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> The World Wide Web and The World of Wine Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The World Wide Web and The World of Wine - 11/13/2008 6:09:23 PM   
vinopkm

The best part of being an Outside Sales Rep is that I can work from home.  The worst part is that I spend hours upon hours surfing the web on my current wines (CT and reviews) and future buys (I have to fully research my buys... keep telling myself that... haha) and 2 hours of work (after hours of driving from call to call during the day) now becomes 4 hours of work in the evening- having no one looking over your shoulder or monitoring your web surfing is a blessing and a curse.  And when I factor in reading sport articles and my fantasy sports teams nothing gets done.  Also a benefit is finding time to stop in different wine shops across the OC and parts of the IE and have a look around at their inventory.

Post #: 1
RE: The World Wide Web and The World of Wine - 11/13/2008 6:20:54 PM   
jhannah27

quote:

ORIGINAL: vinopkm

The best part of being an Outside Sales Rep is that I can work from home.  The worst part is that I spend hours upon hours surfing the web on my current wines (CT and reviews) and future buys (I have to fully research my buys... keep telling myself that... haha) and 2 hours of work (after hours of driving from call to call during the day) now becomes 4 hours of work in the evening- having no one looking over your shoulder or monitoring your web surfing is a blessing and a curse.  And when I factor in reading sport articles and my fantasy sports teams nothing gets done.  Also a benefit is finding time to stop in different wine shops across the OC and parts of the IE and have a look around at their inventory.

Patrick...probably should define the "IE" for those not from Southern California.  The "IE" or "Inland Empire" consists of the areas immediately east of Orange County (Riverside and San Bernardino Counties, mainly).  It is generally regarded as a haven for rednecks and meth labs, and it smells like cows.

I work from home myself, and as much as I try, I can't stay away from many of the same vices that you mention above.  I call them my little "mental breaks" that I take every hour or so.  I figure, I don't take any real breaks during the day, I typically work while I eat lunch, and since I began working from home, I typically work several hours beyond past my old 8-5 hours I kept when I went into the office.

It all evens out in my head...

< Message edited by jhannah27 -- 11/13/2008 6:21:55 PM >

-- Jeremy

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 2
RE: The World Wide Web and The World of Wine - 11/13/2008 6:39:14 PM   
fingers

Two's a coincedence and three's a trend here, guys!

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 3
RE: The World Wide Web and The World of Wine - 11/13/2008 6:40:30 PM   
vinopkm

That is what I tell myself as well... it all evens out.

You also forgot to add that the IE is where probably 50% of all the home foreclosures are in the US.  Why wouldn't you think that 50k a year can afford you a 400K+ house (now valued at 200K or less), a new RV, 2 motorcyles, and a new boat- oh yeah and a lifted truck in the driveway or a new Hummer.  I try to get in and out  as quick as I can.

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 4
RE: The World Wide Web and The World of Wine - 11/14/2008 8:38:22 AM   
jhannah27

quote:

I try to get in and out  as quick as I can.

I wish I had this luxury, but my mom lives in Corona, and as of next month, one of my best friends will be out there as well.  I feel as though it's a black hole sucking me in.

-- Jeremy

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 5
RE: The World Wide Web and The World of Wine - 11/14/2008 9:19:16 AM   
annerk

quote:

That is what I tell myself as well... it all evens out.

You also forgot to add that the IE is where probably 50% of all the home foreclosures are in the US.  Why wouldn't you think that 50k a year can afford you a 400K+ house (now valued at 200K or less), a new RV, 2 motorcyles, and a new boat- oh yeah and a lifted truck in the driveway or a new Hummer.  I try to get in and out  as quick as I can.

Much the same thing happened here in Central Florida.  Add to that the number of people who bought vacation homes after a real estate agent swore up and down that they'd be able to keep it rented by the week for anytime they didn't want to use it themselves and the rental would cover the carrying cost on the home.  And on top of it all, the greedy speculators who thought they'd make a quick buck flipping new construction that was going up in value by 5-10% a month and now owe more than the flip is worth and owe the second mortgage on their primary taken to finance the downpayment on the flip, making their primary under water as well.

My home is realistically worth 6-10% over what I paid for it five years ago--at one point it was worth double.  That's OK though.  I'm not going anywhere, I've got a fixed rate mortgage at a good rate, and I'm not trying to use the house like a credit card.

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> The World Wide Web and The World of Wine Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI