CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Coravin recall update

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Coravin recall update Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Coravin recall update - 6/25/2014 9:36:44 AM   
dbg

This update hit the inbox today:

====================

Dear Coravin Customer,

Over the course of the past year, we have been absolutely thrilled with the overwhelming response and warm reception that the Coravin System has been given by both wine enthusiasts and professionals alike.

As we communicated a few weeks ago, we recently became aware that the use of the Coravin System on a wine bottle that has been damaged or is flawed (chips, cracks, manufacturing defects, etc.), can cause that bottle to break, even under low pressure. We have now received 13 reports of wine bottles breaking, including four in which the bottles cracked and leaked, eight in which the bottles broke in two pieces, and one in which the bottle burst into four pieces, resulting in an injury.

Upon discovering this potential hazard, we felt that it was our responsibility to react quickly, and to be as proactive as possible. Investigations conducted by our engineering team and outside experts into these reports found that each Coravin System was operating as designed and delivering the correct low pressure. We found no breakage patterns in vintage, varietal, region, or producers of the bottles. However, we did find evidence of preexisting damage or flaws in each of the bottles that made them susceptible to breaking apart when pressurized.

Although the likelihood of a bottle breaking while using the Coravin System is very rare, the safety of our customers and users is important to us. We voluntarily reported the breakage incidents to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) at the end of May, and have been working with them to develop a Corrective Action Plan which they have now approved. The CPSC has announced a Recall to Repair of the Coravin System. You will not need to return your Coravin System. We will be sending you a Remedy Kit for each Coravin System that you purchased from us that includes a Coravin Wine Bottle Sleeve, a warning label to be placed on your Coravin System, and a revised set of warnings and instructions. ALWAYS use a Coravin Wine Bottle Sleeve while accessing and pouring wine with the Coravin System. Keep in mind that the sleeve can be removed as soon as you are finished accessing and pouring, and is not required for the storage of the bottle.

Since reporting to the CPSC, we have temporarily stopped shipments of the Coravin System. We expect to begin shipping Coravin Systems again in mid-July after we have provided all of our customers with Remedy Kits. Going forward all Coravin Systems will come standard with a bottle sleeve, a capsule cup safety label, and up-to-date warnings and instructions.

Here is what this means for you:
If you purchased a Coravin System or Coravin Capsules directly from our website, we will ship your Remedy Kit(s) to your shipping address. If you would prefer to use a different address, please fill out our online request form.

If you received the Coravin System as a gift, and it was shipped to you directly, then we will be sending your Remedy Kit to that address. If it was given to you in person, then the purchaser will be receiving your Remedy Kit. However, you can still fill out our online request form. to receive one directly from us.

If you purchased a Coravin System at one of our resellers you will need to register for a Remedy Kit using our online request form. and we will mail the Remedy Kit to you directly.
Our Customer Service team is available to answer any questions regarding this communication, or any of your other Coravin questions at update@coravin.com or (844) 267-2846.

Thank you for your continued patience, support, and understanding as we work to quickly get you back to doing what you love – enjoying your favorite wines by the glass.
Cheers,

Nick Lazaris, President/CEO Greg Lambrecht, Chairman/Founde

David G
Post #: 1
RE: Coravin recall update - 6/25/2014 1:01:38 PM   
champagneinhand

Ain't that a shame, is music that is going through my pickled mind right now. I actually wanted one.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to dbg)
Post #: 2
RE: Coravin recall update - 6/25/2014 8:30:04 PM   
Gollnick

Consumer Product Safety Commission made it official today:

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/Coravin-Recalls-to-Repair-Wine-Access-System/

Consumers are instructed to stop using the device and contact the company to receive a neoprene jacket to go over a bottle pressurized by the Coravin device.

Restaurants have been a target market for Coravin. The Coravin product allows a restaurant to offer dozens of bottles by-the-glass and to offer bottles that, because of their price or nature, will not be fast sellers. But businesses must be especially compliant with recalls. The government has officially told you that the product is dangerous and so it would be reckless endangerment for you to keep requiring your employees to keep using it.

One of the touted benefits of Coravin is the ability to tap many bottles at the same time. Presumably, one will now have to have a separate jacket for each bottle.

One of the touted benefits of Coravin over other argon- or nitrogen-based systems is that the bottle does not have to live in a special cabinet to remain tethered to the system. The available bottles can be displayed. But now they will have to be displayed with jackets on them which is worse than in a glass-fronted cabinet.

So, this is really a big marketing problem for Coravin. It's a shame too since the defect is really in the bottles.

< Message edited by Gollnick -- 6/25/2014 8:32:14 PM >

Chuck Gollnick
Sherwood, Oregon

(in reply to dbg)
Post #: 3
RE: Coravin recall update - 6/25/2014 10:23:29 PM   
recotte

Gollnick,

I don't think you have to leave the sleeve on permanently; only when dispensing wine.

From Coravin's recall note in dbg's post above:

quote:

Keep in mind that the sleeve can be removed as soon as you are finished accessing and pouring, and is not required for the storage of the bottle.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to Gollnick)
Post #: 4
RE: Coravin recall update - 7/7/2014 11:01:08 AM   
mc2 wines

For the record - these were EVERYWHERE we went in Willamette wine country. And while there were decidedly less sleeves than Coravins themselves, all seemed to be ok in the world. We got to try an '03 Domaine Serene Monogram and Domaine Serene got to sell us a bottle as a result of the handy little device.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 5
RE: Coravin recall update - 7/7/2014 2:28:11 PM   
musedir

Mindmuse pulled his out when we visited a couple weeks ago. Pretty darn impressive. Gotta get me one of these!

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 6
RE: Coravin recall update - 7/7/2014 5:33:14 PM   
fingers

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

Mindmuse pulled his out when we visited a couple weeks ago. Pretty darn impressive. Gotta get me one of these!

Oh Tom...... that's just too easy of a setup!

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 7
RE: Coravin recall update - 7/7/2014 6:21:46 PM   
musedir

Yup!

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Coravin recall update Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI