CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Passive cellar - too hot?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Passive cellar - too hot? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Passive cellar - too hot? - 8/22/2017 10:01:19 AM   
Blue Shorts

I did a lot of research into this, some time ago, and the simple answer is "it depends".

The recommended temp for storage is around 54F. This temperature is the preferred sweet spot, where the "good" chemical reactions are maximized, while the unwanted reactions are minimized.

Will it make a difference? Again, it depends. The higher temperatures, 67F in your case, will result in more "bad" chemical reactions. I doubt that it would result in a big difference in taste in the short term <= 5 years. But, the longer you store the wine, the bigger difference it will make.

I wouldn't be concerned if most of my wine would be aged for 5 years or less, but if I were aging wine for 10 years or more, or if the wine was very expensive, then I'd be concerned.

Will wine that is stored for 10+ years be adversely affected? Probably, but unless you did an A:B comparison, it is doubtful whether you would even know the difference.

(in reply to jmccrack650)
Post #: 31
RE: Passive cellar - too hot? - 8/22/2017 10:42:55 AM   
LOuich

Good point, that said, the 67 f is a 1/12 of the time a bottle is in the cellar so I doubt there would be a big problem indeed.

That said I know people that keep bottles in 'lesser' environment for decades and the wines some out more than okay (one of the reason why I stopped worrying).

Plus I would say wine is a stronger product than we think I'd say. Sure time will take it's toll but in my conditions I would venture to say it should 'seed up' the ageing process by 15 % ?

(in reply to Blue Shorts)
Post #: 32
RE: Passive cellar - too hot? - 8/22/2017 5:18:49 PM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blue Shorts

I did a lot of research into this, some time ago, and the simple answer is "it depends".

The recommended temp for storage is around 54F. This temperature is the preferred sweet spot, where the "good" chemical reactions are maximized, while the unwanted reactions are minimized.

Will it make a difference? Again, it depends. The higher temperatures, 67F in your case, will result in more "bad" chemical reactions. I doubt that it would result in a big difference in taste in the short term <= 5 years. But, the longer you store the wine, the bigger difference it will make.

I wouldn't be concerned if most of my wine would be aged for 5 years or less, but if I were aging wine for 10 years or more, or if the wine was very expensive, then I'd be concerned.

Will wine that is stored for 10+ years be adversely affected? Probably, but unless you did an A:B comparison, it is doubtful whether you would even know the difference.

ftw
The wine selection is quite important. I know people who who buy some seriously expensive wine but cannot rationalize the cost of a Eurocave/offsite/La Cache, etc.
Um...Ok...

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to Blue Shorts)
Post #: 33
RE: Passive cellar - too hot? - 8/23/2017 5:54:25 AM   
LOuich

Yep!

If I had very expensive bottles I would maybe a bit more inclined to control more the temps of the cellar but most of my cellar is composed of sub 100$ bottles, and maybe 5% of +100$ bottles. In all the cases I look for a long temp potential so my kids will be one day able to enjoy a wine of their birth year ( if they like wine).

But again, a less than 500 bottles with a reasonable price makes my cellar perfect IMHO.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 34
RE: Passive cellar - too hot? - 8/23/2017 6:11:36 PM   
khmark7

I store all my fine Burgundy next to my furnace. Is this a problem???

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to LOuich)
Post #: 35
RE: Passive cellar - too hot? - 8/23/2017 6:59:31 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

Not if your furnace is broken and you live in Maine.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 36
RE: Passive cellar - too hot? - 8/24/2017 5:53:43 AM   
LOuich

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

Not if your furnace is broken and you live in Maine.

Someone is winning at this !

Personnaly I store mine right on the patio outside!

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 37
RE: Passive cellar - too hot? - 8/24/2017 8:55:10 PM   
Colorado3G

My passive cellar is about the same with 58 in the winter and tops out at about 68 in the peak summer heat. I was getting full...so now have two stages..... I keep my less expensive shorter hold wines in the passive cellar and ended up purchasing a used (but relatively new) regular refrigerator, built a rack in it, and keep my more expensive wines in that refrigerator - it holds 130 bottles for less than $300.

The temp of the fridge is controlled by this unit which so far works great: https://tempstatcontrols.com/product/wine-stat-ii-standard-model/

I'm not a huge fan of aged wine - so 8-12 years is probably my normal target for the better stuff!

(in reply to LOuich)
Post #: 38
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Passive cellar - too hot? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI