CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

20 wine words "most" do not know

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> 20 wine words "most" do not know Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
20 wine words "most" do not know - 8/13/2014 2:12:05 PM   
smahk

This is tongue in cheek but interesting. I use several of these words when writing tasting notes.

How about everyone else?

This piece originally appeared on VinePair.com

For most of us, knowing to simply say that we like a wine when we taste it is about as far as we go in using words to describe wine. But for a ton of wine professionals out there, there is a whole vocabulary of terms available of which they’re intimately familiar. And here is where the disconnect between average wine drinkers and wine professionals occurs. Wine drinkers ask said professional about a wine, and the words used to describe it are so foreign, it is as if they’re in a language the customer doesn’t speak. With that in mind, here is a list of 20 words the majority of wine drinkers have no experience with, and what they mean.

1. Austere

This is when a wine just doesn’t taste very good. It is harsh and acidic and has no fruit flavors whatsoever. Sometimes this can be because the wine is young, but often it can just be because it is poorly made and not “balanced.” Instead of saying Austere one could just as easily say the wine is harsh and tannic with no fruit flavors.

2. Chewy

When a wine is chewy, it means the tannins are so strong they severely dry out your mouth, causing you to chew in order to create saliva and moisten up your mouth. Simply saying the wine is drying out your mouth, causing you to need to make more salivia, is saying the same thing.

3. Balance

When everything works together in harmony, the fruit flavors, acidity, level of oak, etc., the wine is said to be balanced. Usually this is based on individual taste. This is a very desirable quality. If someone tells you the wine is balanced, it is probably delicious.

4. Closed

When a wine is closed it means it is not showing its full potential. Maybe it didn’t decant long enough, or for some wines, maybe it was still too young to be drunk. An alternative would be to say you think the wine is not ready to be drunk yet.

5. Barnyard

This means the wine smells like poop. It is usually not a favorable descriptor. Since the wine smells like poop, might as well just say so.

6. Fat

When a wine is fat it is big and ripe and just sort of sits in your mouth without any acidity to help balance it. Fat wine is not a wine you want to drink.

7. Earthy

The wine smells like dirt, leaves, and wood. It is also used to describe wines that have a finish that tastes similar to green vegetables.

8. Decadent

When the wine is just over the top awesome. Rich, delicious, the bomb.

9. Creamy

Used for white wines that were aged in oak. A wine that tastes buttery is creamy, so you can simply say you like buttery whites.

10. Malo

See creamy. When a wine has malo it has a buttery flavor. Many Chardonnays, especially from California, are said to have heavy malo.

11. Grip

Another word for saying the wine has a lot of strong tannins. It is a wine that dries your mouth out the second you take a sip — definitely a wine that would need to be drunk with food.

12. Hedonistic

Robert Parker‘s favorite word. Wines that just blow you away. Parker likes hedonistic, but you can just say the wine is damn amazing.

13. Hot

The wine is too high in alcohol—you can literally smell the alcohol vapors.

14. Lean

If a wine feels thin in your mouth, almost watery, they are said to be lean.

15. Minerality

Think the smell and taste of wet rocks. It is actually pretty difficult to pick out, and it is unclear if people actually taste it, or they just think they do. More often you’ll hear people say a wine has a nice minerality when that wine happens to come from a region known for imparting this characteristic in the wine, such as the Graves region of Bordeaux.

16. Jammy

Wines that have intense fruit flavors are said to be jammy. Many US wine drinkers love jammy wines because we associate the word with a berry sweetness, like cherry pie filling.

17. Ponderous

Another Parker word. When he calls a wine ponderous, he means it makes you think too much. It is too trying to enjoy. You could also just say, I don’t like this wine, there’s too much going on.

18. Woody

Wines that spend too much time in oak. Smelling them is like smelling a 2×4 or the sawdust on a woodshop floor. Woody wines overpower the smell of the fruit and are not desirable.

19. Velvety

A desirable characteristic in wine. Wines that are smooth, easy to drink, luscious and delicious. You could just as easily say you want to bathe in it. Think of George Costanza wanting to be draped in velvet.

20. Varietally Correct

When a wine tastes the way the majority of wine tasters think the grapes used to make that wine should taste. It is the fancy way of saying this Merlot tastes like really well made Merlot.

Originally from VinePair.com

Cin Cin!
Post #: 1
RE: 20 wine words "most" do not know - 8/13/2014 2:19:14 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Interesting list and I use many of these, or try to.  I think being as specific in meaning and using different descriptors is a GOOD thing most of the time.

A couple on the list I think are mislabeled or at least partly mislabeled.

7. Earthy to me does NOT include green vegetables, which are another set of flavors.

10. Means Malolactic fermentation.  There are distinct changes to the wine when this happens, or doesn't, and it's not same as creamy, butter or limited to Chardonnay, imo.

16. Jammy means... taste like JAM.  Not pie filling or the other lengthy description the author tries to use which overcomplicates a simple concept, imo.   

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 8/13/2014 2:57:42 PM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to smahk)
Post #: 2
RE: 20 wine words "most" do not know - 8/13/2014 2:46:06 PM   
mye

quote:

4. Closed
An alternative would be to say you think the wine is not ready to be drunk yet.

7. Earthy
It is also used to describe wines that have a finish that tastes similar to green vegetables.

20. Varietally Correct
When a wine tastes the way the majority of wine tasters think the grapes used to make that wine should taste. It is the fancy way of saying this Merlot tastes like really well made Merlot.

Fun list.. but i think i rather say "the wine is closed" than "the wine is not ready to be drunk yet". why type 9 words when 4 suffices?

As Chris said - Earthy does not mean "tastes like green vegetables".. :) yikes! more mushroom, bark, etc..

Varietally correct - 2 words - a succinct way to say what the author said in 2 sentences..

(in reply to smahk)
Post #: 3
RE: 20 wine words "most" do not know - 8/13/2014 6:26:55 PM   
BornToRhone

I agree with the comments so far. I would also add that there is a distinct difference between Barnyard and Poop. Barnyard smells are made up of many, many items, and if your grew up in the country you know and can almost appreciate these smells. Combinations of cow dung (yes, poop) but also straw, leather, sweat, earth, dust, and funkiness. Many (not all) people enjoy a slight hint of this in a wine like a CdP, so saying it is undesireable is not entirely true.

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to mye)
Post #: 4
RE: 20 wine words "most" do not know - 8/13/2014 8:30:37 PM   
dsGris

I did at one time buy some wine from what I later learned was a disreputable brokerage/boiler room outfit, a Chateau Manuier. A made up name probably that tasted of manure and not in a good way. I like a little barnyard, but that wine was sheet.

< Message edited by dsGris -- 8/13/2014 8:31:09 PM >

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to BornToRhone)
Post #: 5
RE: 20 wine words "most" do not know - 8/13/2014 9:37:02 PM   
champagneinhand

clearly Champagne wasn't represented here, as autolytic is still a word I am not comfortable with but many of the MS, MW types use this on a regular basis. I stick to leesy and that still doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to no winos.

I agree Earthy and Green notes are completely different. Garrigue or provencal herbs is something many who don't drink Grenache or GSM get, but once you have a Grenache based wine that is a little over the top with the green stuff, you just need to smell some dried herbs to provence and its with you for life. I prefer the Grenache less weedy. Same goes for Cab Franc, I enjoy it a bit more extracted an smooth, with just a few green notes, but the weedy green notes can be anything from green bell pepper, sage, marjoram, even some rosemary and other green spices. Grassy Sav Blanc is not Earthy but definitely green and grassy.

Austere... Usually means it has potential, but is not ready for showing its best. Like a sleeping Jaguar, were you know when it wakes things will be quite lively.

Decadent, almost over the top in sensations, but in a good way, close to ethereal, but I reserve that for the maximum wine experience.

Jammy is cooked fruit, for me.

Hedonistic is everything up front and not holding anything back. could be good or could be something that needs integration and mellowing.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 6
RE: 20 wine words "most" do not know - 8/13/2014 9:37:53 PM   
grafstrb

Gosh, there are so many things wrong in this piece that I'll have to take it section by section to keep my thoughts organized; I've omitted the ones with which I don't take umbrage.

quote:

ORIGINAL: VinePair.com

For most of us, knowing to simply say that we like a wine when we taste it is about as far as we go in using words to describe wine. But for a ton of wine professionals out there, there is a whole vocabulary of terms available of which they’re intimately familiar. And here is where the disconnect between average wine drinkers and wine professionals occurs. Wine drinkers ask said professional about a wine, and the words used to describe it are so foreign, it is as if they’re in a language the customer doesn’t speak. With that in mind, here is a list of 20 words the majority of wine drinkers have no experience with, and what they mean.

1. Austere

This is when a wine just doesn’t taste very good. It is harsh and acidic and has no fruit flavors whatsoever. Sometimes this can be because the wine is young, but often it can just be because it is poorly made and not “balanced.” Instead of saying Austere one could just as easily say the wine is harsh and tannic with no fruit flavors.

"Austere" does *not* mean "wine just doesn't taste good." Plenty of folks, myself included, actually have a warm spot in their hearts for austere wines. Austere wines do not need to be acidic, either, although I would agree that there tends to be an element of "harshness" to them. Additionally, austere wines are not necessarily devoid of any fruit flavor(s).

quote:

4. Closed

When a wine is closed it means it is not showing its full potential. Maybe it didn’t decant long enough, or for some wines, maybe it was still too young to be drunk. An alternative would be to say you think the wine is not ready to be drunk yet.

The author should have stopped their definition after the first sentence. Saying that a wine is "not ready to drink yet" is *not* the same as saying it's closed. A wine can be "not ready to drink yet" for any of numerous reasons, only one of which is that it is "closed."

quote:

5. Barnyard

This means the wine smells like poop. It is usually not a favorable descriptor. Since the wine smells like poop, might as well just say so.

Others before me addressed the problems here quite nicely, imo.

quote:

9. Creamy

Used for white wines that were aged in oak. A wine that tastes buttery is creamy, so you can simply say you like buttery whites.

I think this definition is under-inclusive; I've had red wines that I would describe as "creamy" --- they're usually oaky and Fat.

quote:

10. Malo

See creamy. When a wine has malo it has a buttery flavor. Many Chardonnays, especially from California, are said to have heavy malo.

{Facepalm}. The author apparently has no understanding of what "malo" actually is. Chrisinsunnyside addressed this, above. This definition is the worst offender of the bunch, in my eyes.

quote:

16. Jammy

Wines that have intense fruit flavors are said to be jammy. Many US wine drinkers love jammy wines because we associate the word with a berry sweetness, like cherry pie filling.

The errors here, too, have been addressed by others before me.

quote:

17. Ponderous

Another Parker word. When he calls a wine ponderous, he means it makes you think too much. It is too trying to enjoy. You could also just say, I don’t like this wine, there’s too much going on.

Interestingly, I used this word today in a tasting note. The author's idea of "ponderous" seems to be way off. According to Merriam-Webster, the definition of "ponderous" is as follows:

1: of very great weight
2: unwieldy or clumsy because of weight and size
3: oppressively or unpleasantly dull

quote:

19. Velvety

A desirable characteristic in wine. Wines that are smooth, easy to drink, luscious and delicious. You could just as easily say you want to bathe in it. Think of George Costanza wanting to be draped in velvet.

I don't think everyone would consider "velvety" to be desirable in all wines all the time.

There are other minor nits I could pick, but I just don't feel like it. Overall, a rather poor and mis-informed article.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to smahk)
Post #: 7
RE: 20 wine words "most" do not know - 8/13/2014 9:56:13 PM   
jeff leve

quote:

ORIGINAL: smahk

I do not agree with many of these descriptors.

1. Austere - This is when a wine just doesn’t taste very good.

2. Chewy - When a wine is chewy, it means the tannins are so strong they severely dry out your mouth,

5. Barnyard - Poop

6. Fat - When a wine is fat it is big and ripe and just sort of sits in your mouth without any acidity

7. Earthy - The wine smells like dirt, leaves, and wood. It is also used to describe wines that have a finish that tastes similar to green vegetables.

9. Creamy - Used for white wines that were aged in oak. A wine that tastes buttery is creamy, so you can simply say you like buttery whites.

10. Malo - See creamy. When a wine has malo it has a buttery flavor. Many Chardonnays, especially from California, are said to have heavy malo.

16. Jammy - Wines that have intense fruit flavors are said to be jammy. Many US wine drinkers love jammy wines because we associate the word with a berry sweetness, like cherry pie filling.

17. Ponderous - Another Parker word. When he calls a wine ponderous, he means it makes you think too much. It is too trying to enjoy. You could also just say, I don’t like this wine, there’s too much going on.

18. Woody - Wines that spend too much time in oak. Smelling them is like smelling a 2×4 or the sawdust on a woodshop floor. Woody wines overpower the smell of the fruit and are not desirable.

I would not agree with the definition of several of these terms. But that's just me. For how I use these terms...

www.thewinecellarinsider.com/wine-topics/wine-educational-questions/abc-of-wine-glossary-of-wine-terms

And if I can ask, if anyone looking at the link sees terms that should be added, please let me know as I'd like to keep up to date on words everyone uses.

< Message edited by jeff leve -- 8/13/2014 9:59:56 PM >

www.thewinecellarinsider.com

(in reply to smahk)
Post #: 8
RE: 20 wine words "most" do not know - 8/14/2014 3:25:16 AM   
S1

The author dismissed austere as a flaw, praised decadent and hedonistic and invoked the name of RMP twice.

grafs, and others, dissected this drivel pretty well.
quote:

It is also used to describe wines that have a finish that tastes similar to green vegetables.

That word is, "green" (duh).

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to smahk)
Post #: 9
RE: 20 wine words "most" do not know - 8/14/2014 4:32:22 AM   
musedir

What the popcorn eating dude said. I guess if Parker is invoked it's gotta be accurate. I guess this list does not warrant 97 points.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 10
RE: 20 wine words "most" do not know - 8/14/2014 8:01:59 AM   
Old Doug

"Green" - I have a problem with this as it seems to necessarily imply "unripe."

"Jammy" - this means that S1 will get mad if you give him four of these wines in a row.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 11
RE: 20 wine words "most" do not know - 8/14/2014 8:11:40 AM   
wadcorp

21. door stop wine – a wine so unimpressive, that any remaining bottles you have remain untouched in your cellar until the end of time.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 12
RE: 20 wine words "most" do not know - 8/14/2014 9:06:45 AM   
BobMilton

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadcorp

21. door stop wine – a wine so unimpressive, that any remaining bottles you have remain untouched in your cellar until the end of time.

I like that one. Hopefully won't have to use it, but a nice concise term for real dreck.

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 13
RE: 20 wine words "most" do not know - 8/14/2014 11:02:18 AM   
Jack667

+2 for S1!
This is exactly what I thought when I read it. Along with many of the other comments...
Still fun and glad it was posted.
Ironic though, that the original author was listing terms terms unknown to most, but he's included in that group!

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

What the popcorn eating dude said. I guess if Parker is invoked it's gotta be accurate. I guess this list does not warrant 97 points.

CT review 1 of my fav wines: "like a balance that's achieved with every voice shouting at equal volume"
That's not just my taste profile, it’s a life choice!
My Wine

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 14
RE: 20 wine words "most" do not know - 8/14/2014 11:16:38 AM   
caeleric

the list definitely shows a stylistic preference. i would never consider austere a flaw, though i don't enjoy austere wines. whereas brett is a flaw, though often a desired one.

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

(in reply to Jack667)
Post #: 15
RE: 20 wine words "most" do not know - 8/14/2014 12:07:08 PM   
Old Doug

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb

Plenty of folks, myself included, actually have a warm spot in their hearts for austere wines. Austere wines do not need to be acidic, either, although I would agree that there tends to be an element of "harshness" to them. Additionally, austere wines are not necessarily devoid of any fruit flavor(s).

Very well said, Brian. Isn't that part of the fascination of certain wines - that it can be really good and interesting, even without some elements found in others?

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 16
RE: 20 wine words "most" do not know - 8/14/2014 11:16:41 PM   
PinotPhile

quote:

5. Barnyard

"Barnyard" is a term sometimes applied to Pinot Noir. I have yet to encounter one that actually smells like poop. If I experienced this I am not even sure I would venture on to actually tasting....

< Message edited by PinotPhile -- 8/14/2014 11:19:49 PM >

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 17
RE: 20 wine words "most" do not know - 8/15/2014 5:11:28 AM   
hankj

I don't get this list - it's supposed to be tongue in cheek but we'Dr critiquing it as if it isn't?

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 18
RE: 20 wine words "most" do not know - 8/15/2014 7:57:36 AM   
Sourdough

I too tend to use the word austere for wines some wines I find interesting. I also like the word ephemeral for wines that I find elusive and near perfect. For me both can be haunting.

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 19
RE: 20 wine words "most" do not know - 8/15/2014 8:51:37 AM   
Eddie

quote:

ORIGINAL: hankj

I don't get this list - it's supposed to be tongue in cheek but we'Dr critiquing it as if it isn't?

I don't think it's supposed to be tongue-in-cheek. I think the author was hypnotized by James Laube. He (the author) uses "awesome" and "hedonistic" to describe wines that usually taste like a mixture of Manischewitz and oak sawdust.

V horam in quodam loco est.

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 20
RE: 20 wine words "most" do not know - 8/15/2014 9:49:59 AM   
wadcorp

22. Hoover – a sommolier who drinks a bit too much of your wine in the name of "testing it".

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 21
RE: 20 wine words "most" do not know - 8/15/2014 12:01:01 PM   
PinotPhile

quote:

ORIGINAL: hankj

The original post has been circulating in the blogosphere for a while. I've seen several wine blog websites that cite it. My take was that it is not intended as tougue-in-cheek. But it might be an oversimplification in an attempt to translate some terms from the wine world for non-wine geeks. Just my impression. I, too, like and use some of the terms. Cheers!

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 22
RE: 20 wine words "most" do not know - 8/17/2014 9:20:19 AM   
Stirling

As several have commented about austere, I thought it best to re-print what the good people at Merriam Webster had to say:

: simple or plain : not fancy

of a person : having a serious and unfriendly quality

: having few pleasures : simple and harsh

Those here who were not using the term as a perjorative are mis-using it. The last definition from Merriam Webster conforms most to how I, and I think most others, use austere when describing wine.

My blog: www.advinetures.ca

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 23
RE: 20 wine words "most" do not know - 8/17/2014 9:23:05 AM   
lockestep

Well, he was right on #15. Other than that, the list was pretty barnyard.

My Wine of the Month (2/24)
2016 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 24
RE: 20 wine words "most" do not know - 8/17/2014 11:18:07 AM   
BornToRhone

quote:

ORIGINAL: lockestep

Well, he was right on #15. Other than that, the list was pretty barnyard.

# 23 - Plonk : as in that list was Plonk.

What about singing....as in, "that wine was really singing!" Can one wine be a tenor vs a soporano?

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 25
RE: 20 wine words "most" do not know - 8/17/2014 11:23:56 AM   
Tanatastic

I'm not as convinced on the autere front. A simple and quick google brings up this example:

quote:

The interior is breathtakingly austere in appearance; simple but effective use of lighting creates the appropriate atmosphere

I think sometimes austere can be used in a positive way, to describe a wine that the producer didn't have to go all Phil Spector on to get their point across. If you will.

(in reply to BornToRhone)
Post #: 26
RE: 20 wine words "most" do not know - 8/17/2014 8:46:52 PM   
fingers

I had a '72 VW bus that was pretty austere. I loved it anyway.

(in reply to Tanatastic)
Post #: 27
RE: 20 wine words "most" do not know - 8/18/2014 8:51:15 PM   
Old Doug

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stirling

Those here who were not using the term as a perjorative are mis-using it. The last definition from Merriam Webster conforms most to how I, and I think most others, use austere when describing wine.

Stirling, that may be. Before, I would have said that "austere" meant that a wine had little or no fruit presence, but now I see that there are other pretty well-accepted usages, some that I would think overlap with "lean."

If we perceive a wine as "harsh," then that seems pretty much uniformly bad to me. Acidity, in a wine, even if a bit unbalanced, doesn't seem really harsh to me, and there have been some whites that I thought were really nothing but acid and minerals, and I loved them. Don't think I can get away from using "austere" and meaning it in a good way....

(in reply to Stirling)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> 20 wine words "most" do not know Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI