CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Paso Robles 2014 harvest

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Paso Robles 2014 harvest Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Paso Robles 2014 harvest - 9/15/2014 9:36:10 AM   
Eddie

Any of you folks have enough ITB connections in Paso to have an early read on the harvest? How did the growers on the west side do in the drought?

V horam in quodam loco est.
Post #: 1
RE: Paso Robles 2014 harvest - 9/15/2014 10:33:07 AM   
bretrooks

Earlier this year, a custom crush facility moved in within walking distance of my house, and I'm taking part in a "barrel project" they put together which is getting all its fruit from Paso, so I've heard and seen just a little bit.

The winemaker has been keeping tabs on vineyards in a variety of Paso locations, and from what I've gleaned, his take is that quality and yields seem more variable than usual...he's particularly mentioned that he's had a harder time than usual finding cab which is up to scratch. Still, it sounds like many growers have been able to produce good fruit. Our project has seen some beautiful merlot and petite sirah come into the facility (from sources on the east side, but near 101), and it sounds like our (also east side) tempranillo is doing well and should be coming in later this week.

I certainly don't have the big picture, but there's at least one data point.

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 2
RE: Paso Robles 2014 harvest - 9/16/2014 9:17:49 AM   
redguy

Looks like another excellent vintage. Harvest was 2-3 weeks early (again) and began as early as August 20th for some producers that I know of. Some vines were lost due to drought but overall quality looks excellent. The West side has more groundwater than the scorched East, though that is becoming a big problem. I helped Nick at Nicora on September 3rd with his Law Vineyard fruit, working the sorting table and doing the Lucy stomp. It was perfectly ripe, small berries, excellent concentration and quality. Nick should be done harvesting by early next week. I saw Stephan and cru at L'Aventure deep into harvest/sorting/crushing on Sat as well. Likewise for Scott at Torrin. He brought in several tons this past Sat with similarly high quality. I also talked with Ryan at Paix Sur Terre last Sat who said everything was coming in all at once, which seems to be a common theme this year. I know several producers who desperately want to pick but have no available fermenters. Paso is expecting triple digit heat this week so it is hand-wringing time for those with fruit still on vine in the warmer micro-climates.

For what it's worth.

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 3
RE: Paso Robles 2014 harvest - 9/16/2014 9:26:52 AM   
Eddie

quote:

ORIGINAL: redguy

Looks like another excellent vintage. Harvest was 2-3 weeks early (again) and began as early as August 20th for some producers that I know of. Some vines were lost due to drought but overall quality looks excellent. The West side has more groundwater than the scorched East, though that is becoming a big problem. I helped Nick at Nicora on September 3rd with his Law Vineyard fruit, working the sorting table and doing the Lucy stomp. It was perfectly ripe, small berries, excellent concentration and quality. Nick should be done harvesting by early next week. I saw Stephan and cru at L'Aventure deep into harvest/sorting/crushing on Sat as well. Likewise for Scott at Torrin. He brought in several tons this past Sat with similarly high quality. I also talked with Ryan at Paix Sur Terre last Sat who said everything was coming in all at once, which seems to be a common theme this year. I know several producers who desperately want to pick but have no available fermenters. Paso is expecting triple digit heat this week so it is hand-wringing time for those with fruit still on vine in the warmer micro-climates.

For what it's worth.

That's exactly the sort of summary I was fishing for. I get an allocation from Nicora and was wondering how Nick's fruit was this year (I guess I could have e-mailed him directly, but I figured he's pretty busy right about now.)

V horam in quodam loco est.

(in reply to redguy)
Post #: 4
RE: Paso Robles 2014 harvest - 9/16/2014 11:59:10 AM   
bretrooks

quote:

ORIGINAL: redguy

For what it's worth.

Glad to hear that it seems better for many than the limited reports I had heard...thanks Redguy!

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to redguy)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Paso Robles 2014 harvest Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI