CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: What form does your cellar take?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: What form does your cellar take? Page: <<   < prev  52 53 54 55 [56]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 3/27/2024 3:46:13 PM   
panurge

Just recently snagged (at no cost) a 440+ bottle Vinoteque wine cabinet with a new cooler. Cellar used to be piles of wine cartons/mailers stacked in an unfinished cellar space. Now it's beautifully organized (thank-you CellerTracker!) in the Vinoteque, our bar cooler, and a small cache at our vacation home. CT has been essential in helping keep track of where my bottles are!

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 1651
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 4/22/2024 12:54:58 PM   
nebhc

Question: How long does it take for a cellar to cool down?

Have had my WhisperKool on for 48 hours and it's stuck at 61 degrees. I'm wondering:

- Should I add bottles so there's more "to cool"?
- And, is the brick - while attractive - not of a sufficient R value and too porous -- and that is limiting my cooling capacity?

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks

(in reply to panurge)
Post #: 1652
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 4/22/2024 1:02:25 PM   
daviladc

quote:

ORIGINAL: nebhc

Question: How long does it take for a cellar to cool down?

Have had my WhisperKool on for 48 hours and it's stuck at 61 degrees. I'm wondering:

- Should I add bottles so there's more "to cool"?
- And, is the brick - while attractive - not of a sufficient R value and too porous -- and that is limiting my cooling capacity?

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks

What is the temp of the air coming out of the unit?

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

(in reply to nebhc)
Post #: 1653
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 4/22/2024 1:49:31 PM   
nebhc

It’s approx 71-72 f.

Basement temp outside of the cellar is currently low 60s - so very close to what the cellar itself is.

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 1654
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 4/22/2024 2:07:55 PM   
daviladc

There is something wrong with the initial set-up. The unit should kick out 50-55F air.

You should call whisperkool customer service and go through what your set-up is STEP BY STEP!

I had this issue when I first set up my Whisperkool unit and they were AWESOME to work with. Once we figured out my set-up issues (almost 6 years ago), I haven't had and issue since.

(in reply to nebhc)
Post #: 1655
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 4/22/2024 5:26:58 PM   
nebhc

Thanks daviladc - I'll try that. Appreciate it!

Have cleaned it, applied additional seals, etc. I'm thinking that (sadly) the brick might be the issue....

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 1656
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 4/22/2024 8:17:36 PM   
wine247365

quote:

ORIGINAL: daviladc

There is something wrong with the initial set-up. The unit should kick out 50-55F air.

You should call whisperkool customer service and go through what your set-up is STEP BY STEP!

I had this issue when I first set up my Whisperkool unit and they were AWESOME to work with. Once we figured out my set-up issues (almost 6 years ago), I haven't had and issue since.

Had a similar issue a few years ago, called WK’s customer service and they fixed it. My problem was after 10 years, the intake filter was clogged with dust. Slid off the screen filter that is like the screen from a door (keeps the big things out). Next step was to clean the radiator type of grill next. Seeing this issue was a problem as the back of the unit was 6” from the wall so carefully slid my phone camera in the gap to take pics and monitor my progress. Since it was so hard to access, I inserted the hose from a mattress foot pump into the slot opening of a handheld vacuum, taped the gaps with painter’s tape, then slid the hose opening back and forth across the radiator until subsequent pics showed it as clean as possible. Afterwards, my unit cooled like when new. Highly recommend you try this first as they’ll present this as a first troubleshooting step anyway. Good luck!

The number of bottles I buy is nothing in comparison to the bottles I don’t buy. Let’s have a little perspective please.

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 1657
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 4/22/2024 8:37:19 PM   
daviladc

quote:

ORIGINAL: wine247365

quote:

ORIGINAL: daviladc

Had a similar issue a few years ago, called WK’s customer service and they fixed it. My problem was after 10 years, the intake filter was clogged with dust. Slid off the screen filter that is like the screen from a door (keeps the big things out). Next step was to clean the radiator type of grill next. Seeing this issue was a problem as the back of the unit was 6” from the wall so carefully slid my phone camera in the gap to take pics and monitor my progress. Since it was so hard to access, I inserted the hose from a mattress foot pump into the slot opening of a handheld vacuum, taped the gaps with painter’s tape, then slid the hose opening back and forth across the radiator until subsequent pics showed it as clean as possible. Afterwards, my unit cooled like when new. Highly recommend you try this first as they’ll present this as a first troubleshooting step anyway. Good luck!

I think this was meant for nebhc.

That said, my issue had nothing to do with clogs. My unit was brand new and the actual installation was causing the problem. That is why I mentioned to nebhc to contact WhisperKool to evaluate his set-up.

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 1658
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 4/23/2024 12:44:30 AM   
wine247365

Obviously, it was meant for nebhc. I only quoted you to have two possible solutions showing adjacently.

The number of bottles I buy is nothing in comparison to the bottles I don’t buy. Let’s have a little perspective please.

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 1659
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 4/24/2024 1:41:19 PM   
wineismylife

If that brick is in the basement and the surrounding air in the basement is 60 and the cellar is 61 I doubt it is the brick.

btw, if your cellar isn't at least 50% full then do as you asked. Add plastic bottles of water. It's called thermal mass.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 1660
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 4/25/2024 8:08:37 AM   
nebhc

quote:

If that brick is in the basement and the surrounding air in the basement is 60 and the cellar is 61 I doubt it is the brick.

You're likely right - but am going to insulate / vapor seal over some of it.

And I hear you - I'll fill racks soon and try again.

Thanks

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 1661
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 4/25/2024 8:10:12 AM   
nebhc

wine247365 - thanks for tip. I've tried vacuuming (with high powered shop vac) but will try a more in-depth approach to full cleaning.

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 1662
Page:   <<   < prev  52 53 54 55 [56]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: What form does your cellar take? Page: <<   < prev  52 53 54 55 [56]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI