CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/11/2014 3:30:50 PM   
mgriffith

quote:

ORIGINAL: annerk
Points?

Anex Membership Points - spend money, get points.

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 121
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/11/2014 3:58:53 PM   
mtpisgah

There was a thread on WB from a guy who was able to take the plastic cap off of the cartridge and put on a standard cartridge. A much cheaper way to use the coravin since you will not be forced to use their proprietary cartridge.

Paul

I read books to pass the time until the next bottle of wine.

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 122
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/11/2014 7:50:57 PM   
geppetto

I've had mine for about a year now. I have numerous stabbed bottles in the cellar and I have yet to have a problem. I love this gadget!

All these dumb spelling mistakes are because I'm using my iPhone. Damn autocorrect! OKAY OKAY, maybe it has a little to do with the consumption of too much wine...

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 123
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/11/2014 8:29:43 PM   
cjchampion

I do the transfer to a 375 bottle from time to time and solve the exposure to air while pouring by siphoning with a length 1/4" vinyl tubing. Do this as soon as you open the bottle before pouring your first glass. put the tube to the bottom of the empty 375 to avoid splashing. I have never tried to go beyond a month or so but this is much more effective than just pouring from one bottle to another.
I must admit that I never just want one glass of wine so the CV device doesn't fit with me.

< Message edited by cjchampion -- 12/11/2014 8:30:25 PM >

(in reply to geppetto)
Post #: 124
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/11/2014 9:08:05 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: mgriffith

quote:

Points?

Amex Membership Points - spend money, get points.

I noticed that you can get Zalto Stems from Amex with the 20% off promotion...Seriously thinking about getting a bunch of these!

Enjoy your Coravin...I've used mine three times this week on three different bottles...still loving it!

(in reply to mgriffith)
Post #: 125
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/11/2014 9:47:30 PM   
ob2s

I liberated a cap off a coravin capsule. The amazon argon capsules ($4/ea) I ordered are not threaded so I'll just lay the cap over the top, which should be fine if I screw the capsule in place vertically. I'll report back. I have a 6 month stabbed BDX that aged prematurely, several bottles that leak. I'm in the 80+% success zone. It seems the cork has to be pretty good.

German Wine ? see GermanWines.us | water nourishes the body, wine nourishes the soul

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 126
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/12/2014 6:55:30 AM   
dbg

quote:

ORIGINAL: ob2s
I'm in the 80+% success zone. It seems the cork has to be pretty good.

I've had a similar experience. It seems the older bottles with dicier corks are at greater risk. I won't use the gadget on a pricey older bottle to sample now and keep long term because I'd hate to find it was one of the failures. My routine is to finish up the CVd bottles within a week or so. Instead of the Coravin, I use past experience and CT notes for judging when a wine is ready.

David G

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 127
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/12/2014 1:32:36 PM   
Yossarian

Just drink the fecking wine!

New April 2021 Mix Here

(in reply to dbg)
Post #: 128
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/12/2014 1:34:33 PM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yossarian

Just drink the fecking wine!

Ah, these British witticisms.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 129
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/12/2014 2:51:54 PM   
mgriffith

T'would seem I have stirred the proverbial pudding! (Bwahahahaha!)

In truth, beyond the curiosity factor, the thing is, in the most practical sense, a shiny toy. Who doesn't like a shiny new toy?

On the sad side, at the same time I ordered the Coravin, I also ordered a Shun Higo Nokami folding steak knife. Yes, another toy. One of my foolish traits (beyond liking toys) is that I get grumpy (ok, grumpier) when provided a dull, substandard steak knife while dining out. Even better establishments are often plagued by the curse of louse cutlery. A personal, folding, travel steak knife would overcome that.

I get an email today that the fecking thing is no longer available (at least through the points redemption approach) and my order has been canceled. Now if I want it I have to actually BUY it. Unless I end up with a dollar credit to the card instead of points back in the program. If that is the case I *could* conceivably end up getting the knife plus a few dollars extra left on the card balance.

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 130
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/12/2014 3:03:01 PM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: mtpisgah

There was a thread on WB from a guy who was able to take the plastic cap off of the cartridge and put on a standard cartridge. A much cheaper way to use the coravin since you will not be forced to use their proprietary cartridge.

yeah but he spent a grand on machining special fittings

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 131
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/14/2014 8:02:32 AM   
Greg1955

Seems like there are still mixed reviews on Coravin? I can say I've had mine for several years now, and NO problems, don't know what I'd do without it. As I'm divorced, I rarely open a full bottle now unless I've been invited to bring the wine to an event, in which case I'm usually taking multiple bottles, but also my Coravin. Invariably, the full bottles go and there is still demand for "one more glass", and that's when I pull out the Coravin and pour that "one more glass". Honestly, I have several bottles of finer wines that I've CV'd at least 12months ago, and I can't tell a difference between now and then.

Texas Batard

(in reply to mgriffith)
Post #: 132
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/15/2014 10:29:31 AM   
ob2s

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

yeah but he spent a grand on machining special fittings

If he did, then he is an idiot. I received my $4 argon caps today.

The difference is the coravin is threaded and the preservino is not threaded.
Since the threads keep the cap from easily sliding over the neck of the preservino,
I used this vise to press the cap on. I was able to get it off too, easily, and press it back on.

Once pressed on, comparing the two, there is no difference. I measured with a caliper.

Screwed the new cap in and....vino

Its $3/capsule if you buy from walmart.com and spend $50 on various other BS to get free shipping.

< Message edited by ob2s -- 12/15/2014 5:44:21 PM >

German Wine ? see GermanWines.us | water nourishes the body, wine nourishes the soul

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 133
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/15/2014 7:16:25 PM   
budh

So you have to use the coravin cap from an old cartridge? You say it comes off easily - how many times do you think you can re-use it? Will it loosen up with repeated uses?
thanks for the pix and the creativity!!

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 134
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/17/2014 11:21:21 AM   
mcsac67

Although I have been extremely happy with the Coravin, I unfortunately learned on Monday that it does not work with glass corked bottles.

I usually remove part of the capsule on first-time wines, but tried to pierce a bottle of Syncline Mourvedre without checking. Needless to say, I was unsuccessful and am now short one needle.

(in reply to budh)
Post #: 135
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/17/2014 12:46:23 PM   
BobMilton

I once tried removing the "foil" on a bottle of wine that was sealed with a screwcap. Doesn't work worth a darn.

(in reply to mcsac67)
Post #: 136
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/18/2014 6:18:01 AM   
annerk

quote:

ORIGINAL: BobMilton

I once tried removing the "foil" on a bottle of wine that was sealed with a screwcap. Doesn't work worth a darn.

Guilty as well...

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel

(in reply to BobMilton)
Post #: 137
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/18/2014 7:17:45 AM   
leothegecko

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: BobMilton

Guilty as well...

I don't think I've done it yet (surprisingly), but my daughter (16 at the time) did. It was one of those that you put on the top and turn around the bottle, so it actually cut the top of cleanly. Of course I ask her to open the bottle now any time I have a screwcap.

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 138
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/18/2014 11:32:06 AM   
rolftrap

After receiving my CV in september I went BANANAS in my cellar - having to taste a bit of everything.

Now I have like, 25 bottles that are 2/3 full. Some have leaked a little bit and gone mouldy on top of the cork. I think the trick is to let the cork seal before laying down the bottle again. Ofcourse, the leaked out wine has dried up and also created a seal this way.

Some of the bottles, I have already revisited after a month or two and found no flaws so far. One of the bottles I feel has matured some - I suspect that I forgot to purge the needle with argon before use and thereby injected the bottle with a minute amount of oxygen?

My thoughts are that one should take special care using this tool. Remember to purge needle with argon. Remember to clean after use. I also sanitise the needle with rubbing alcohol as well as the cork top before piercing. I suspect if people are experiencing flawed bottle from using CV it might be from bad hygeine.

(in reply to Jhcwine)
Post #: 139
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/18/2014 11:36:05 AM   
rolftrap

I forgot to add to my previous post

25 sample size sips tapped with the CV - and I'm STILL ON MY FIRST ARGON CARTRIDGE!

Lasting much longer than I had expected.

(in reply to rolftrap)
Post #: 140
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/18/2014 11:41:08 AM   
rolftrap

I think that you should really be aware of proper hygeine practices when using the CV:

1. Keep needle very clean. I sometimes sterilise the needle with rubbing alcohol.
2. Wipe the top of the cork with alcohol as well.
3. Remember to purge needle with argon before puncturing the bottle.

(in reply to Efrain)
Post #: 141
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/18/2014 11:57:11 AM   
rolftrap

quote:

f you find excess pressure in the bottle after removing the needle or when finally popping the cork, you must be leaving excess argon in the bottle. I'm not sure how that happens and I have yet to experience it. If I wait for the stream to dwindle and stop, I figure pressure in the bottle should be pretty much equal to atmospheric. If I turn the bottle upright before the wine stream completely peters out, I get a tiny puff of argon exiting the spout as the wine level drops below the level of the needle in the bottle, again equalizing the pressure. Can someone who has experienced this excess pressure try to explain how they think this happens?

If the bottle is cellar cold when you tap it the first time, the argon injected will cool and shrink.

If the bottle is later brought to room temperature the gas will expand and cause over-pressure inside the bottle.

I would be more worried about the opposite - causing a vacuum inside bottle by CV'ing it at room temperature and then putting it back in a cool cellar.

(in reply to dbg)
Post #: 142
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/19/2014 4:07:33 PM   
ob2s

Rolftrap I recommend your using this

< Message edited by ob2s -- 12/19/2014 4:08:02 PM >

(in reply to rolftrap)
Post #: 143
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 4/9/2015 8:34:47 PM   
budh

Had my first Coravin failure today. A Pinot I had coravined twice about 18 months ago has since turned to vinegar. Now I'm nervous.... I better check out some others that were tapped a while ago.

(in reply to rolftrap)
Post #: 144
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 4/10/2015 7:10:48 AM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: budh

Had my first Coravin failure today. A Pinot I had coravined twice about 18 months ago has since turned to vinegar. Now I'm nervous.... I better check out some others that were tapped a while ago.

DEFCON2!

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to budh)
Post #: 145
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 4/10/2015 7:14:49 AM   
ShawnM789

Once I have the bottle upright I put more argon into it before I remove the needle, has worked ok for me so far. Let us know how your others are

quote:

(in reply to budh)
Post #: 146
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 4/10/2015 7:30:46 PM   
budh

Update - checked five bottles coravined 18 - 20 months ago. Four were fine, but one had also turned to vinegar. I have always purged the needle after each use, didn't previously add more argon after bottle was upright, but when I did that today on the five older bottles, it just seemed to leak out the spout, so I'm not sure that does anything.
At this point I am really bummed, and afraid to use it on expensive wines. Current sample size shows 2 out of 6 bottles have gone bad....
Guess I should contact the company to see their reaction.
Anybody else have any problems?

(in reply to ShawnM789)
Post #: 147
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 4/10/2015 7:50:07 PM   
MeSoOeny

quote:

Update - checked five bottles coravined 18 - 20 months ago. Four were fine, but one had also turned to vinegar. I have always purged the needle after each use, didn't previously add more argon after bottle was upright, but when I did that today on the five older bottles, it just seemed to leak out the spout, so I'm not sure that does anything.
At this point I am really bummed, and afraid to use it on expensive wines. Current sample size shows 2 out of 6 bottles have gone bad....
Guess I should contact the company to see their reaction.
Anybody else have any problems?

Have had similar results. For me, the appeal of the device resided in the potential to sample a recent release over a number of years without having to crack multiple bottles. Paid for the thing prior to beta, and it performed well on the first few wines I tested it on. However, I've found that, even with the thinner needles, young cork, and sometimes not so young cork (no real rhyme or reason given my lack of desire to delve into the nuances of enclosures) doesn't re-form post-perforation and can either result in leakage or oxidization. The issue I have is that there is no way to know when an enclosure may stand up to the Coravin or not which, as you say, basically makes it worthless/unreliable for better wines given the risk.

(in reply to budh)
Post #: 148
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 4/11/2015 3:54:38 AM   
recotte

I'll be very interested to learn others' experiences with this. I've very seriously considered buying one of these, and it would be helpful to know if it's truly reliable for the long haul, or if I should anticipate needing to finish a bottle over a shorter duration once pierced.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to MeSoOeny)
Post #: 149
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 4/12/2015 1:27:39 AM   
geppetto

I've done a couple of longer term bottles and they were great. I didn't have any leakage and no obvious signs of deterioration. I mostly use mine for short term, as I am a solo drinker (my wife only has a very tiny glass). It is worth the money for this purpose, as far as I am concerned. Now I can tap a good bottle and not have to worry about drinking it over a two or three day period. I tend to drink them over a couple of weeks. It really has changed my drinking experience because now I feel that diving into better more expensive bottles can be a daily affair. When I am drinking daily drinkers, I don't bother with the Coravin.

All these dumb spelling mistakes are because I'm using my iPhone. Damn autocorrect! OKAY OKAY, maybe it has a little to do with the consumption of too much wine...

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI