CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Do you have same strategy for picking wines to drink that you use for stocks to sell?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Do you have same strategy for picking wines to drink that you use for stocks to sell? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Do you have same strategy for picking wines to drink th... - 1/1/2009 10:43:04 AM   
duck833

What I mean is do you drink the higher rated wines first and keep the lessor bottles?  Lots of folks do the same with their investments, they sell the really good stocks because they are the ones that have gone up and made money and keep the dogs hoping they will get better.

Go Ducks!!! - I love my thugs
Post #: 1
RE: Do you have same strategy for picking wines to drin... - 1/1/2009 10:49:12 PM   
smigdiggler

it depends on who I am drinking the wine with. I first of all go with the drinkability report, but if my guests are winegeeks like myself, then i tend to go for the good stuff. but if I am drinking with someone who doesnt know a red wine from grape juice, then I go with something that is lesser.

One thing that I really enjoy doing for my winegeek friends is to print out the winelist with the drinkibility time windows and have them choose what they want. Nothing that I have is off limits as long as its within the drinkability points greater than 0.65

Semi retired from the wine business, but can't seem to let go of opportunities when they present themselves

PlaywrightWines on Instagram

(in reply to duck833)
Post #: 2
RE: Do you have same strategy for picking wines to drin... - 1/2/2009 3:23:34 AM   
GoodToGrape

The inferior wines, the ones that I have several of but just really don't like, have largely been relegated to the role of thermal mass.  Occasionally I will pull one out and pour it (and usually with friends that have very low wine standards) just to remind myself why I love great wine.  The way I look at it, if all you drink is 95+ wines, then everything becomes pretty much average.  So, I keep the inferior wine to provide contrast.  Oh, and much like people, a wine that was bad to begin with won't improve with age no matter how much you may want it to.

(in reply to duck833)
Post #: 3
RE: Do you have same strategy for picking wines to drin... - 1/2/2009 3:31:40 AM   
Serge Birbrair

The good wines I drink with those who appreciate them, regular wines I drink with those who don't.
I live my life using KISS formula and wine is not an exception.

tsk....

(in reply to GoodToGrape)
Post #: 4
RE: Do you have same strategy for picking wines to drin... - 1/2/2009 6:55:39 AM   
GalvezGuy

I try to make sure that I drink what needs to be drank, regardless.  I generally drink my lesser bottles during the week with dinner and the better bottles with friends or for weekends.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to Serge Birbrair)
Post #: 5
RE: Do you have same strategy for picking wines to drin... - 1/2/2009 1:52:01 PM   
pjaines

quote:

ORIGINAL: GoodToGrape

...... have largely been relegated to the role of thermal mass. 

GtG - I can honestly say after only a few posts that you are by far and away the most eloquent member of this forum.  You have a great way with words....

My new DJ stuff....

(in reply to GoodToGrape)
Post #: 6
RE: Do you have same strategy for picking wines to drin... - 1/2/2009 3:58:46 PM   
GoodToGrape

Paul - You have caused me to blush...not unlike the hue of a 1988 Beringer White Zinfandel. 

< Message edited by GoodToGrape -- 1/2/2009 4:11:12 PM >

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 7
RE: Do you have same strategy for picking wines to drin... - 1/2/2009 7:59:51 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: pjaines

quote:

ORIGINAL: GoodToGrape

...... have largely been relegated to the role of thermal mass. 

GtG - I can honestly say after only a few posts that you are by far and away the most eloquent member of this forum.  You have a great way with words....

The way I ate this holiday, I think I have basically been relegated to the roll of thermal mass. Day two of the sensible eating plan, so good so far...

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 8
RE: Do you have same strategy for picking wines to drin... - 1/3/2009 5:38:36 AM   
khmark7

To answer your question duck833, I do the opposite, which is to say I typically save my better bottles and drink up my cheaper or lesser bottles.  Again, I think it just depends on your drinking habits.  Many of you on this site are married or dating so you probably have more opportunities to share a nice bottle.

(in reply to duck833)
Post #: 9
RE: Do you have same strategy for picking wines to drin... - 1/3/2009 5:59:56 AM   
gbm

Generally, I follow GalvezGuy's plan - lesser stuff during the week and better on the weekend.  I do watch the drinkability report though.  Bottles I classify as house wine are good enough to drink now, but not great and probably won't age with much dignity.

Unofrtunately, that can lead to situations where I find myself pressured to drink a particular wine because it's a 6 on the drinkability report.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 10
RE: Do you have same strategy for picking wines to drin... - 1/3/2009 1:29:33 PM   
Pavie Princess

i always drink the best wines first to avoid palate fatigue.  I only sell wine when I have an abundance of the Chateau or the vintage or if I dont think the wine makes sense to my palate.

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 11
RE: Do you have same strategy for picking wines to drin... - 1/3/2009 2:45:53 PM   
bschwindtcoffee

I used to be too cautious.  "is this occasion good enough?"   Then once my wine cabinet (a 300 bottle Le Cache Cellar) started to fill up I figured I'd better start drinking up.  I still don't touch the Barolos unless its a special occasion, but almost everything else is fair game for weekends at least.   I have some past their prime pinots - mid rage 2003's that I bring out for plonk drinkers.  Once I brought favorite maganum of mine to a party and this 6'8" ogar pounded half of it like it was an Old English Malt Liqour 8-ball.   Last time I do that. I got about 1/2 a glass. 

-Brandon

Finally a Junior Tracker-- been here since october of 2007.

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 12
RE: Do you have same strategy for picking wines to drin... - 1/3/2009 3:22:32 PM   
J2K

quote:

ORIGINAL: bschwindtcoffee

Once I brought favorite maganum of mine to a party and this 6'8" ogar pounded half of it like it was an Old English Malt Liqour 8-ball.   Last time I do that. I got about 1/2 a glass. 

That's hilarious

(in reply to bschwindtcoffee)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Do you have same strategy for picking wines to drink that you use for stocks to sell? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI