CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

NWR - Los Angeles (near the music center) restaurants

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> NWR - Los Angeles (near the music center) restaurants Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NWR - Los Angeles (near the music center) restaurants - 5/27/2015 9:00:34 PM   
jhannah27

Wife and I are going to see Matilda the Musical (again. Saw it in London end of 2013). Need a restaurant recommendation near the Ahmanson if possible

Thanks all!

-- Jeremy

Post #: 1
RE: NWR - Los Angeles (near the music center) restaurants - 5/28/2015 8:10:35 AM   
wine247365

There are many choices in the broader DTLA area, so what cuisines do you prefer?

The number of bottles I buy is nothing in comparison to the bottles I don’t buy. Let’s have a little perspective please.

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 2
RE: NWR - Los Angeles (near the music center) restaurants - 5/28/2015 9:26:04 AM   
recotte

Patina (Cal-French), Chaya (Japanese), Nick & Stef's (steakhouse), Water Grill (Cal seafood)... lots of good choices. Patina is right in the Disney Hall complex, so would be the most convenient. A number of restaurants in DTLA will run shuttles to/from the Music Center, which can be easier than parking there. Just double check in advance.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 3
RE: NWR - Los Angeles (near the music center) restaurants - 5/28/2015 11:08:18 AM   
jhannah27

quote:

ORIGINAL: wine247365

There are many choices in the broader DTLA area, so what cuisines do you prefer?

Open to suggestions. Not really all that picky.

-- Jeremy

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 4
RE: NWR - Los Angeles (near the music center) restaurants - 5/28/2015 12:01:15 PM   
Emark

When my wife and I attend Music Center/Disney Hall events, we like to dine afterwards rather than before. Obviously, if we are attending a matinee event, we have many options. Evening events, however, offer few options. Kendall's Brasserie right there in the Music Center is the easiest post-theater/concert option. The fun thing about Kendall's is that you often see performers that you just watched/heard sitting across the way from you. (I confess to being a wide-eyed fan.) One thing I don't like about it, though, is that people pop in, grab a bite, or just a drink, and head out. So, pretty soon we are the only party left and feel pretty conspicuous because we know that the staff is ready to go home, also.

Another option that I like is Pacific Dining Car--on 6th Street about 1/2-mile west of the Harbor Freeway. This is not a trendy restaurant. When you walk in, it definitely has a 1950s look. It has actually been around longer than that. They are open 24 hours. They have "Late Dining" menu, but their regular "Dinner" and "Breakfast menus are also available any time. Again, there is nothing trendy or cutting edge in their menu, but two things stand out for me. They have an outstanding wine list. Even though you indicated "NWR" in your title, I feel it is worth mentioning. Also, though, and important to those of us who like to linger when we dine, since they are open 24 hours, I know their staff is not eager to get out of there and go home. So, we are not uncomfortable sitting and enjoying our meal and saying "Yes, please," for coffee and dessert.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 5
RE: NWR - Los Angeles (near the music center) restaurants - 5/28/2015 10:03:04 PM   
wine247365

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

Patina (Cal-French), Chaya (Japanese), Nick & Stef's (steakhouse), Water Grill (Cal seafood)... lots of good choices. Patina is right in the Disney Hall complex, so would be the most convenient. A number of restaurants in DTLA will run shuttles to/from the Music Center, which can be easier than parking there. Just double check in advance.

Great suggestions, recotte!

Patina may have been one of the very first of Joachim Splichal's restaurants. It was originally in West Hollywood and moved downtown when the Disney opened. If you believe that the highest expressions of food are an art form, you should go here. Expensive, small portions, but "food as art" extraordinaire. Plus, you can walk to the show.
http://patinarestaurant.com/home.php

If you like seafood, the Water Grill is excellent! Every dish on the menu rocks! And, if you like oysters on the half shell, theirs will equal those from any restaurant on the West Coast! They're sourced from various areas around the PNW, East Coast and elsewhere. Nice wine list, too. (p.s. If you want seafood, this is head-n-shoulders above McCormick and Schmicks; although M&S has a great Happy Hour!) http://www.watergrill.com/downtownla/

For a steakhouse near the music center, I agree with Nick & Stef's. It's also a Splichal restaurant. http://www.patinagroup.com/restaurant.php?restaurants_id=6 For the most part, their aged steaks are excellent, but over the years there has been a little bit of inconsistency. It's close to the Ahmanson. If you're willing to eat steak near the Staples Center/ LA Live, you've got a Morton's on 7th and Fig and Flemings at 11th and Fig and The Palm one block east of Fig at Olympic. Flemings changed owners last year, so I'd recommend The Palm. Depending upon when you're going though keep an eye on the Stanley Cup for LA Live hockey crowds as the Duck and BlackHawks are 3-3 right now.

For Japanese, I'm not familiar w/Chaya, so can't speak of it. My go-to is Sushi Gen in Little Tokyo (about a mile away). While not fancy, they have a good menu and excellent fish. http://www.sushigen-dtla.com/

A place that is definitely unique and I love to go to is The Perch at 5th & Hill. If opened a few years ago and has the top two floors of an old building. The roof has been retrofitted such that it's an open air bar with firepits at the tables. ...very unique views. While there are about 6-7 seating areas, it's not big deal to stand and have a drink while you drink up the expansive skyline view of downtown. When we have out-of-town visitors and we're going by downtown, we will always stop by for a drink. It opens at 5:00 and on a sunny day, it's a great start to an evening. Then, their restaurant is on the next floor down which has outdoor and indoor seating. There's a small parking lot at 4th and Hill which is easy to hit if you exit the 4th street exit off the 110N. http://perchla.com/gallery.html Check out the pic gallery before you say "no".

One of LA's up and coming chef's has opened a few places around this restaurant of his... http://orsaandwinston.com/home.html It's a fusion restaurant of European and asian cuisines..very hard to pin down. The menu changes frequently and the Prix Fixe is the way to go with many small plates. If you like experimentation with food, this is the ticket. Get the wine flight, as well (and bring her AMEX, too!) Small place, but nicely done, not too formal. Interesting and complete Italian wine list. It's a serious enough place that the LA Times Jonathan Gold has reviewed it... http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-79546122/

Buon Appetito! For a classy, elegant, more refined place, check out Drago's for some really good Italian. They have a shuttle to the Music Center. It's at the base of the City National tower. http://dragocentro.com/ I believe they also valet which makes things much easier for parking downtown.

I'm gonna add an outlier, for the fun of it. How about some southern BBQ served up in Chinatown? I love the contradiction! I don't know why they set up there, but if you want some finger lickin' good 'ol southern BBQ in DTLA, check this place out. It's a mile away from the Ahmason and is open till 10:00 pm. Their burnt ends are the bomb! Good beer, sausages, tri-tip and peach cobbler! Getting hungry just thinking about it!

Beyond these, I'm sure there are many more good ones to check out. With the urban settlers civilizing downtown over the last decade, it's actually become a very hot culinary scene. I read a story about some Japanese chef who picked the area for his first US restaurant...his omakase starts at almost !\$200! Good luck with whatever you pick! And, if you find something new that's good, be sure to add it to this thread!

The number of bottles I buy is nothing in comparison to the bottles I don’t buy. Let’s have a little perspective please.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 6
RE: NWR - Los Angeles (near the music center) restaurants - 5/28/2015 10:56:40 PM   
recotte

Chaya is technically French-Japanese, but has awesome sushi and the the chocolate croissant bread pudding is insane, plus it's close to the Music Center. Sushi Gen is a great choice as a more traditional Japanese venue.

In a different vein, there is Phillipe's, the home of the French Dip sandwich. Surprisingly good wines by the glass available.

Looks like I'm going to have to check out the BBQ place in Chinatown....

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 7
RE: NWR - Los Angeles (near the music center) restaurants - 5/29/2015 4:27:48 AM   
rlp805

We went to an event at Redbird that was very good and it is certainly a unique space, here is the LA Times article about it. Food was great, fun cocktails and Spanish wines although I'm not sure what the normal wine list looks like.

-Richard

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 8
RE: NWR - Los Angeles (near the music center) restaurants - 5/30/2015 8:43:28 AM   
jhannah27

I was looking at Orsa and Winston (a colleague also suggested it and we are big fans of Bar Alma, one of the Chef's other restaurants) but was worried with a six course pre fix menu that we would be rushed since they open at six.

I made reservations at a couple of places (Drago, Nick & Steph's and Redbird included). Perch looked very interesting but we are so late to the party here many of the suggested places above are booked up.

The other twist here is that I am a HUGE Anaheim Ducks fan and who would have thought back in December when I bought the tickets that they would be playing in a game 7 the night we are going to the theater. I might opt for somewhere with TVs over fine cuisine (yes, my better half has given the green light, which is why I married her 9 years ago Tuesday!). Was looking at Blue Cow Kitchen and Bunker Hill Bar and Grill.

< Message edited by jhannah27 -- 5/30/2015 8:49:37 AM >

-- Jeremy

(in reply to rlp805)
Post #: 9
RE: NWR - Los Angeles (near the music center) restaurants - 5/30/2015 11:09:07 AM   
wine247365

I don't know the BH Bar and Grill, but the Blue Cow's decent. If the sun ever comes out, their patio has TVs outside,so that's an option too. And, if you're in the mood for a steak, Nick and Stef's has a TV or two in the bar. You could always check that out and if it doesn't work, the Blue Cow's 100 yards away.

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 10
RE: NWR - Los Angeles (near the music center) restaurants - 6/1/2015 2:49:32 PM   
jhannah27

Opted for the Blue Cow Kitchen. We sat on the patio, which was nice, but I agree that the food was just OK. Perhaps it was just because the Ducks were getting their a$$es handed to them.

-- Jeremy

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 11
RE: NWR - Los Angeles (near the music center) restaurants - 6/1/2015 6:46:27 PM   
wine247365

quote:

ORIGINAL: jhannah27

Opted for the Blue Cow Kitchen. We sat on the patio, which was nice, but I agree that the food was just OK. Perhaps it was just because the Ducks were getting their a$$es handed to them.

Yea, that was a tough match to watch...never had a chance.  

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> NWR - Los Angeles (near the music center) restaurants Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI