CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Winery Visit: Dablon Winery (Michigan- Recommended)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Winery Visit: Dablon Winery (Michigan- Recommended) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Winery Visit: Dablon Winery (Michigan- Recommended) - 8/27/2015 7:51:13 AM   
Vino Me

I visited this winery last weekend and was very pleasantly surprised. Had not heard anything about it and just stopped in after another winery visit. This winery is located in Southwest Michigan in the town of Baroda. They bought 44 acres in 2009 and another 13 acres in 2011. Currently 28 acres are under vine. Their first vintage was in 2012. Before that they sold their grapes. Starting with the 2013 vintage, they changed the name of the winery from Moraine Vineyards to Dablon Winery.

They built a new winery and tasting room which opened in March 2015. It is a lovely setting and building which overlooks their rolling hills of finely manicured vines. I was impressed by the philosophy and practices in the vineyard. The vines are densely planted in a 8' x 3' spacing. They drop fruit to reduce yields and concentrate the fruit. Leaf thinning and pulling is also employed throughout the year as was evident from the condition of the vines. The have only planted French varietals (no hybrids or non vinifera). Also they concentrate on making dry wine and not the sweeter styles that appeal to the tourist trade.

All of the Dablon wines are made from estate fruit. However, they also have a line of wines they make called Music Box (the owner of the winery also owns the Music Box Theatre in Chicago). These wines are made from purchased grapes and are available at the winery and at the wine bar in the theatre.

I liked the reds better than the whites. All the reds were lush and rich. Made from fully mature and ripe fruit. No green notes. These are not your typical Michigan reds. I'm sure part of the credit for the fine showing of the reds goes to mother nature which provided fine growing conditions in SW Michigan in 2012 and 2013 as well as the vineyard work and winemaking at this estate. Here are my notes:

2013 Dablon Winery Riesling Moraine Vineyards - USA, Michigan, Lake Michigan Shore (8/18/2015)
Tasted at the winery. 76 cases produced. Clear white color. A dry Riesling. Notes of lemon and apple but overall it lacked depth to score higher. Thinner finish. A little more sweetness would have helped. 85 points.

2012 Dablon Winery Chardonnay Moraine Vineyards Unoaked - USA, Michigan, Lake Michigan Shore (8/18/2015)
Tasted at the winery. 310 cases produced. Pale straw color. A little skunky on the nose at first. Notes of crisp apple and citrus. Tart finish. 84 points.

2012 Dablon Winery Pinot Noir Moraine Vineyards - USA, Michigan, Lake Michigan Shore (8/18/2015)
Tasted at the winery. 571 cases produced. 12.7% alcohol. From the very hot and ripe 2012 vintage in SW Michigan. This was the first red I tried and immediately smiled. Such a pretty and well balanced wine. Ruby red color. Round texture. Notes of cherry and spices. Lighter bodied with moderate tannins. A very clean and representative Pinot stylistically. 89 points.

2013 Dablon Winery Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, Michigan, Lake Michigan Shore (8/18/2015)
Tasted at the winery. 61 cases produced. This was my favorite wine poured at this estate. Reddish purple color. Smooth texture. Supple tannins with a sweet edge which gave this wine a very nice mouthfeel. Rich fruit with currant, chocolate and earthy notes. Fully ripe and no green notes at all. The 2013 SW Michigan vintage was a warm year (even into the Fall) with a very long growing season which extended into late October. The only drawback was a May frost which reduced the crop. 89-90 points.

2013 Dablon Winery Cabernet Franc - USA, Michigan, Lake Michigan Shore (8/18/2015)
Tasted at the winery. 133 cases produced. 14.2% alcohol. Deep violet color. Cinnamon aromas on the nose. This was drier than the Cab Sauvignon with smokey red fruit. Again a fully ripe wine without green notes thanks in part to the long 2013 growing season. Round finish. More Bordeauxlike than Chinon. 88 points.

2013 Dablon Winery Tannat - USA, Michigan, Lake Michigan Shore (8/18/2015)
Tasted at the winery. 64 cases produced. 13.2% alcohol. Inky red color. This is the only Tannat wine made in Michigan and they did a very good job making this. Reddish purple color. Distinct raspberries on the nose. Medium to full bodied. On the palate there was ripe berry and plum notes. 88 points.

2013 Dablon Winery Malbec - USA, Michigan, Lake Michigan Shore (8/18/2015)
Tasted at the winery. 184 cases produced. 13.7% alcohol. inky black color and the darkest of the reds I tried. Also the most tannic. Velvety red fruit with spices and earthy notes. 87-88 points.

VM
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Winery Visit: Dablon Winery (Michigan- Recommended) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI