CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

One California Winery's Labor Solution: Year-Round Employment And Their Own Blend

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> One California Winery's Labor Solution: Year-Round Employment And Their Own Blend Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
One California Winery's Labor Solution: Year-Round Empl... - 8/28/2015 8:33:28 PM   
dj_plusone

http://www.kcet.org/living/food/socal-spirits/one-california-winerys-labor-solution.html

One California Winery's Labor Solution: Year-Round Employment And Their Own Blend

Next time you look deep into your glass of wine to marvel at its light and color, try to see the workers who picked its grapes. And they are hard to see, as so many are part of the migrant and often non-documented work force at the dark heart of the California wine industry. We're talking about people whose annual wage never breaks $20K, as if they worked annually, as if the Bureau of Labor Statistics can capture all their salaries.

Enter Stolpman Vineyards in Santa Barbara, noted producer of syrah, sangiovese, and roussanne. For over a decade they've employed a steady crew, or cuadrilla, to help ameliorate the labor issues so rampant in their industry. "Over a decade of research into the California wine industry before buying our land, traveling up and down the state, taught Dad a lot about the nitty-gritty of agriculture," says Peter Stolpman, managing partner, about his father Tom Stolpman. "When he fell in love with the beauty of our property, he decided to be both a steward of the land and a fair employer to the people who work it. This meant we would have to employ year-round, not just seasonally for pruning and harvest. This way, dad thought, our crew would be able to establish roots here, raise families, and provide an education for their children without moving around following different harvests."

It's often the second-generation issues that are most problematic for migrant workers as all the chasing after work makes it impossible for their children to establish themselves in schools or social structures. Ruben Solorzano, Stolpman's vineyard manager and partner in Coastal Vineyard Care Associates, decided he wanted even more from the crew. Peter Stolpman tells the story that Solorzano "became frustrated that although the crew executed every task he asked of them, they were not paying attention to the why behind the work. Ruben assigned the crew one two-acre block, or cuadra, and explained that he would not give any instructions for the cuadra. The crew would have to pay attention to the different methodologies throughout the vineyard, and apply what they wanted to the cuadra. Ruben immediately saw a transformation in the crew; they were now engaged and began to understand the lifecycle of the vine."

Soon the grapes from the cuadra were being used to make a wine for Stolpman's wine club. That changed in 2010 when Peter Stolpman visited Jalisco, Mexico to visit Ruben and many of the cuadrilla with their extended families for Christmas. Stolpman says, he was "blown away by the strong sense of family and the pride the cuadrilla members took in introducing us to their relatives and speaking of their work and involvement in the company. One evening the idea clicked in my mind: We should take the cuadrilla training program a step forward; make enough wine to nationally distribute it and get the program's story out to the public; and then to give the crew true ownership of the wine, meaning they would receive the profits from it."

Today 10% of Stolpman wine goes into the Cuadrilla blend. The current release, hailed by Stolpman as "the ultimate BBQ wine," is officially a non-vintage blend (47% 2010 syrah, 38% 2010 sangiovese, and 15% 2011 syrah) from two different years because the weather in 2011 limited production. "A wine is only as good as the grapes it's made from," Stolpman asserts. "If we put in the labor to guarantee perfect fruit coming off the vineyard, we don't need to help the grapes make great wine. The wine is pure and has integrity. There are potentially great vineyard sites throughout the world, but that potential can only be unlocked if the vines can be carefully cultivated and nurtured. An engaged and passionate workforce is the key."

My Current Juice
Post #: 1
RE: One California Winery's Labor Solution: Year-Round ... - 8/28/2015 8:43:08 PM   
River Rat

Great story. Thanks for sharing!

(in reply to dj_plusone)
Post #: 2
RE: One California Winery's Labor Solution: Year-Round ... - 8/28/2015 9:54:43 PM   
dsGris

Empower the workers and you will be rewarded. I took me awhile to grasp that concept. Praise for a job well done and asking for feedback invests responsibility and pride of work. Good pay brings rewards as well. Soon the workers are doing all the work and you have time for coffee. Other wineries are adopting this concept for a year round workforce. Thanks for sharing.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to River Rat)
Post #: 3
RE: One California Winery's Labor Solution: Year-Round ... - 8/29/2015 9:32:56 AM   
Vietty

Thanks for sharing. Heard a lot about Stopman wines and have seen it for sale at local wine stores but have yet to try it. This story will have me reaching for the bottle next time I see it. Thus, everyone benefits from this... the workers, the winery, and me =D

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 4
RE: One California Winery's Labor Solution: Year-Round ... - 8/29/2015 11:29:24 AM   
Emark

Very interesting article. Thank you for posting.

In order to learn more about the La Cuadrilla blend I went to the Stolpman web site. It appears that the current release is vintage dated (the blend discussed in the article was a blend of grapes from 2011 and 2012). The more interesting thing though is the fact that profits from this blend are distributed among the workers. I hope it is significant.

http://shop.stolpmanvineyards.com/prod-364310/2013-La-Cuadrilla.html

(in reply to Vietty)
Post #: 5
RE: One California Winery's Labor Solution: Year-Round ... - 9/3/2015 5:25:58 PM   
khmark7

Stolpman's wines can be found in Chicago, and it's good to read about the lives that are touched. Good stuff.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to Emark)
Post #: 6
RE: One California Winery's Labor Solution: Year-Round ... - 9/3/2015 8:15:39 PM   
kingkanu

Thanks for posting this story, that's a great idea and good to see the sustainable concept extending to the employees

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> One California Winery's Labor Solution: Year-Round Employment And Their Own Blend Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI