CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Cellar Count Milestones

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Cellar Count Milestones Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Cellar Count Milestones - 6/23/2015 8:44:28 AM   
dsGris

Chis,
You will be joining the pro ranks soon with an ITB tagline.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 61
RE: Cellar Count Milestones - 6/23/2015 12:31:29 PM   
BenNoir

quote:

My space justification for the non-inclusion is that I'm not putting any 2013 Goat Rocks in my physical cellar(s). They are currently still in my "winery" and will be going on a palette to a friend's cool warehouse here shortly.

You are actually starting a business, so your Goat Rocks wine is a business inventory, not a personal collection.
Your Goat Rocks wine is intended to be sold to, well, people like me. Right?
That makes perfect sense.

If I bought some, I wouldn't count it either, because I'm trying to stay under 1000.

ben

< Message edited by bennor -- 6/23/2015 12:32:16 PM >

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 62
RE: Cellar Count Milestones - 6/23/2015 3:32:32 PM   
Hollowine

Since so many people only drink Red wine, and don't even consider white wine, isn't it appropriate to extrapolate this mentality into cellar management and no longer consider bottles of white in the sum?

Based on this my inventory just reduced down by 500

(in reply to BenNoir)
Post #: 63
RE: Cellar Count Milestones - 6/23/2015 4:46:30 PM   
BenNoir

I'm glad to see you have gotten into the spirit of this.

ben

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 64
RE: Cellar Count Milestones - 6/23/2015 5:40:19 PM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

Since so many people only drink Red wine, and don't even consider white wine, isn't it appropriate to extrapolate this mentality into cellar management and no longer consider bottles of white in the sum?

Tip of the iceberg Scott.
Extrapolate it further to include more categories which aren't really wine.
Then you'll realize that it's time to order more wine.

You're an inspiration to the kids.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 65
RE: Cellar Count Milestones - 6/23/2015 5:51:19 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

Tip of the iceberg Scott.
Extrapolate it further to include more categories which aren't really wine.
Then you'll realize that it's time to order more wine.

You're an inspiration to the kids.

Actually, I've got an even more solid strategy than that...

Spoke today with the guy building my custom racking. Gave him dimensions of the new cellar, identified features I'd like to have, accommodations for various bottle sizes, etc. Last instruction I gave him which was non-negotiable...no matter what the racking capacity, any drawing/invoice submitted for review/payment must clearly state cellar capacity at 1000 bottles or less.

TA-DA! I now have a 1000 bottle cellar and she who watches will be pleased because apparently "[I] already have enough wine"...

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 66
RE: Cellar Count Milestones - 6/23/2015 5:53:24 PM   
buzzzzoff

When we hit 3,000+, we finally executed our "investment" strategy with nearly a decade of en primuer wines. That is, we would buy 3 cases, wait, sell 2 cases and (as hoped for) the sale of 2 cases paid the entire price for 3 cases. Therefore, we get to drink a case for "free". Ah, investment...

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 67
RE: Cellar Count Milestones - 10/7/2015 7:01:17 PM   
BenNoir

Time for the quarterly cellar assessment.

Although the quarterly growth rate has slowed, it has not stopped.
The cellar grew 45 bottles in Q3 2015 crossing the 800 mark for the first time to 825.

Although a quarterly growth rate of 15 bottles per month in Q3 is not where I need to be, it's far better than the 30 bottle per month growth rate I had in Q2 and far better than the nearly 90 bottle per month rate in Q1. I should just not read the Full Pull emails.

The new cellar is complete, but requires racking.
Current plan is bins for the lower 4 feet and single bottle racks above the bins.
Estimated capacity will be 1000 bottles when racking is complete.

ben

(in reply to buzzzzoff)
Post #: 68
RE: Cellar Count Milestones - 10/8/2015 4:34:54 PM   
midpalate

at ~150 bottles now.

I'm aiming to get below 100, but that's been the goal for ~2 years, and the count has remained in the 120-160 range that whole time.

Huh.

(in reply to BenNoir)
Post #: 69
RE: Cellar Count Milestones - 10/8/2015 4:45:58 PM   
S1

I just bought more wine

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to midpalate)
Post #: 70
RE: Cellar Count Milestones - 10/8/2015 6:02:25 PM   
BenNoir

quote:

I just bought more wine

What a surprise.

ben

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 71
RE: Cellar Count Milestones - 10/8/2015 6:16:02 PM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: bennor

quote:

I just bought more wine

What a surprise.

ben

We never talk anymore.

(in reply to BenNoir)
Post #: 72
RE: Cellar Count Milestones - 10/10/2015 2:34:44 PM   
hankj

Mr. slow-and-steady here just hit 400 bottles on the button with this purchase:

2X MAGNUM 2010 Faiveley Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Porêts

4X 2012 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée

5X 2012 Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe Châteauneuf-du-Pape La Crau

1X 750ml 2011 Warre Vintage Port

1X 375ml 2011 Warre Vintage Port

4X 375ml 2011 Château Guiraud Sauternes

2X 375ml 2012 Jorge Ordoñez & Co. Málaga #1 Selección Especial Moscatel

And in suck-at-Cellartracker news, did inventory last night: 16 bottles missing and at an average value of $36; 25 bottles present but not recorded at an average value of $51. So do inventory - you might win some free wine!

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to schwank)
Post #: 73
RE: Cellar Count Milestones - 10/11/2015 1:55:40 PM   
PinotPhile

quote:

ORIGINAL: midpalate

at ~150 bottles now.

I'm aiming to get below 100, but that's been the goal for ~2 years, and the count has remained in the 120-160 range that whole time.

Huh.

I looked at what records I had from my pre-CT days. It appears that I hit the 100 milestone late 2013 or early 2014. Records are better now, and holding at the 110-130 range if all bottles of wine possessed are counted. Even the daily drinkers. In multiple locations, granted, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I am not in the least skilled at moratorium. I "target" remaining below 130. Now 117. Maybe I don't have a problem.....

Cheers!

(in reply to midpalate)
Post #: 74
RE: Cellar Count Milestones - 10/11/2015 11:16:58 PM   
dsGris

We all got problems, some are just bigger than others. The target just keeps moving, especially when drinking.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 75
RE: Cellar Count Milestones - 10/12/2015 8:36:32 AM   
cookiefiend

quote:

ORIGINAL: hankj

Nice!

In Cellar Count Milestones, if I include our pending wines - we've hit 3,000 bottles.
Oy.

Dawn

'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'
Aldous Huxley

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 76
RE: Cellar Count Milestones - 10/12/2015 10:43:54 AM   
PinotPhile

quote:

ORIGINAL: dsGris

We all got problems, some are just bigger than others. The target just keeps moving, especially when drinking.

So true.

And, since wine can help in coping with other problems, maybe "overbuying", however defined, falls into the category of "small stuff".

Certainly, in moderation, it has helped in the past. Cheers!

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 77
RE: Cellar Count Milestones - 10/12/2015 12:45:50 PM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookiefiend

quote:

Nice!

In Cellar Count Milestones, if I include our pending wines - we've hit 3,000 bottles.
Oy.

Wow that's a lot of wine! I'd be worried that too much of it would peak at the same time and I wouldn't be able to drink it up in time. You can see that even by what I'm buying now, with "just" 400 bottles, I'm trying to select wines that can be held for a good long time.

With your cellar so big surely you planned for it to mature in evenly rolling stages?

< Message edited by hankj -- 10/12/2015 12:46:11 PM >

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to cookiefiend)
Post #: 78
RE: Cellar Count Milestones - 10/12/2015 12:48:52 PM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: PinotPhile

quote:

at ~150 bottles now.

Huh.

I looked at what records I had from my pre-CT days. It appears that I hit the 100 milestone late 2013 or early 2014. Records are better now, and holding at the 110-130 range if all bottles of wine possessed are counted. Even the daily drinkers. In multiple locations, granted, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I am not in the least skilled at moratorium. I "target" remaining below 130. Now 117. Maybe I don't have a problem.....

Cheers!

Can I ask either/both of you why you're striving for "small" cellars? It seem many if not most here are going for thousands of bottles, a minority like me are plunking away slowly accumulating hundreds. And the smallest minority like you two seem to aspire to "just" double digits. What's the rationale behind going small?

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 79
RE: Cellar Count Milestones - 10/12/2015 1:37:50 PM   
cookiefiend

quote:

quote:

Nice!

Oy.

Wow that's a lot of wine! I'd be worried that too much of it would peak at the same time and I wouldn't be able to drink it up in time. You can see that even by what I'm buying now, with "just" 400 bottles, I'm trying to select wines that can be held for a good long time.

With your cellar so big surely you planned for it to mature in evenly rolling stages?

Uhmmm - I *think* so?

I have a saved report called 'Drink me!', it lists by year (the year Cellartracker 'thinks' the wine should be drank by) what should be drank by the end of the year. Going all the way to the beginning of 2016 there are 122 bottles to be drank, and of those, there are only 31 bottles I think might be past their prime or that I might be concerned about.
I'm not very worried about them, I prefer almost all of our wines with age on them.

Also, our consumption is around 300+ bottles per year (some of that is gifted or we've had a big party), 3000 bottles is only 8.2 years of wine if I drank one bottle a night…

It's true that by 2020 (that's only 5 years away!) that report shows 290 (plus 20 pending!) bottles that should be past their prime by that time… but I think some of them will be just hitting their stride and many will still be just babies. I think I need to go through and adjust the drink by dates to reflect what our thoughts on drinking dates.

I'm not really concerned about the wines that show a 2050+ drink by date… I hope I'll be alive then. If not - my kids will drink 'em!

Dawn

'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'
Aldous Huxley

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 80
RE: Cellar Count Milestones - 10/12/2015 2:57:06 PM   
GalvezGuy

I am surprised. My current count is about 950 or so, I need to do a better job of entering pending bottles. That is down from 1100 a couple of years back. I want to maintain at this level and eventually start to deplete.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to BenNoir)
Post #: 81
RE: Cellar Count Milestones - 10/12/2015 3:34:04 PM   
musedir

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nice!

Oy.

Uhmmm - I *think* so?

I have a saved report called 'Drink me!', it lists by year (the year Cellartracker 'thinks' the wine should be drank by) what should be drank by the end of the year. Going all the way to the beginning of 2016 there are 122 bottles to be drank, and of those, there are only 31 bottles I think might be past their prime or that I might be concerned about.
I'm not very worried about them, I prefer almost all of our wines with age on them.

Also, our consumption is around 300+ bottles per year (some of that is gifted or we've had a big party), 3000 bottles is only 8.2 years of wine if I drank one bottle a night…

It's true that by 2020 (that's only 5 years away!) that report shows 290 (plus 20 pending!) bottles that should be past their prime by that time… but I think some of them will be just hitting their stride and many will still be just babies. I think I need to go through and adjust the drink by dates to reflect what our thoughts on drinking dates.

I'm not really concerned about the wines that show a 2050+ drink by date… I hope I'll be alive then. If not - my kids will drink 'em!

Cookie, I like your style!

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to cookiefiend)
Post #: 82
RE: Cellar Count Milestones - 10/12/2015 10:40:13 PM   
PinotPhile

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: PinotPhile

quote:

at ~150 bottles now.

Huh.

Cheers!

Can I ask either/both of you why you're striving for "small" cellars? It seem many if not most here are going for thousands of bottles, a minority like me are plunking away slowly accumulating hundreds. And the smallest minority like you two seem to aspire to "just" double digits. What's the rationale behind going small?

From the perspective of someone who basically had 50 bottles or less for years, I am no longer "small". That said, in no particular order:

Strong frugality ethic. Desire to avoid any offsite storage. Bit of a neat freak. Enjoy the research and careful selection of "forced choices" within a budget. Oh, and strong frugality ethic.

I do occasionally splurge on a case, but that is rare.

Fortunately, CT makes room for all of us.

Last year, I met a collector who had no idea whether he had 6000 bottles or 10,000 bottles, but knew it was within that range. I wondered what he will actually DO with all that juice. Considering he was at least 60 years old. Do not want to have anything like that problem.

Cheers!

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 83
RE: Cellar Count Milestones - 10/13/2015 4:09:20 AM   
annerk

I've been holding steady in the 700-900 (including pendings) for a number of years, and it seems to be a sweet spot for me in both storage ability and financially. In 2010 I was forced to make the choice between growing the cellar and traveling the world, and I decided that travel while I was alive would win over building a cellar that would outlive me.

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 84
RE: Cellar Count Milestones - 10/13/2015 4:22:20 AM   
mtpisgah

We are sitting a couple cases shy of 700 bottles but I really need to do an inventory over thanksgiving weekend. I am starting to rebalance the cellar a bit as our palates have changed. I need to move through the bigger fruit forward wines, collect some better bottles for aging, and pick up some daily drinkers to consume while my better wines age.

After the fall shipments arrive we will be out of room and offsite storage or storage in other parts of the house is out of the question as Dr C would not be happy with me.

Paul

I read books to pass the time until the next bottle of wine.

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 85
RE: Cellar Count Milestones - 10/13/2015 6:09:03 AM   
musedir

Been more or less around a 1,000 bottles for a few years now. I know this because Dr. M never loses a chance to say with some small measure of contempt of my enabled obsession when talking to others about my addiction. Of course she usually adds that she doesn't mind having a good glass of wine when she wants it.

Paul, that is pushing your self determination to keep your cellar at the prescribed level. Guess I'm gonna have to come back and help you get rid of a few of those pesky cellar busters.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 86
RE: Cellar Count Milestones - 10/13/2015 8:28:00 AM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: mtpisgah

I am starting to rebalance the cellar a bit as our palates have changed. I need to move through the bigger fruit forward wines, collect some better bottles for aging, and pick up some daily drinkers to consume while my better wines age.

I think I have a dozen bottles in my cellar I've outgrown too, am not too excited about. Not too many though, as I came to fine wine through food service and so found value in food friendly and less common wines early. I think a lot of collectors get a little burned by entering wine as a newbie already successful in business, reading mostly the Wine Advocate, buying what hits them the hardest in tasting rooms. Then they eventually realize that long-corked over-everythinged prestige-bombs stop tasting good after a few years of tongue-training. I see this phenomenon a lot in Seattle, where our boom of young and newly-affluent zips out I-90 and collides first thing with Red Mountain. Or Woodinville. Chat at the firm Christmas party: "You're into wine too? Katie and I love Gorman - know them? We bought two cases of Albatross and joined their club. It's under the stairs right now - what do you know about those fridges at Costco?"

15-20 years ago a lot of fired-up new collectors must have gone long on big Shiraz. Ouch. Wonder how much of that trend is turning brown in cellars right now.

< Message edited by hankj -- 10/13/2015 8:33:36 AM >

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 87
RE: Cellar Count Milestones - 10/13/2015 8:45:01 AM   
BenNoir

quote:

ORIGINAL: annerk

I've been holding steady in the 700-900 (including pendings) for a number of years, and it seems to be a sweet spot for me in both storage ability and financially. In 2010 I was forced to make the choice between growing the cellar and traveling the world, and I decided that travel while I was alive would win over building a cellar that would outlive me.

I agree that 700-900 seems to be a sweet spot. It's large enough so you can maintain selection diversity and have a percentage aging, but not so large as to present huge storage problems or challenges in the event of palate or life changes.

quote:

3000 bottles is only 8.2 years of wine if I drank one bottle a night…

Not that I don't admire Dawn's logic, because I do. I just can't be assured of 8 years of drinking.

quote:

I am starting to rebalance the cellar a bit as our palates have changed.

Plus I like the flexibility expressed by Paul. Cellar evolution is important.

ben

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 88
RE: Cellar Count Milestones - 10/13/2015 12:00:53 PM   
PinotPhile

I can understand where 700-900 is a sweet spot for many. At our current rate of consumption of 2-3 bottles per week, I have less than 3 years on hand at the 100-120 range. Which provides some rationalization when I need it. 700 bottles, for us, is 23+ years. Clearly too many, considering we don't entertain much. And I am the only one who drinks a glass, maybe two, almost every night. DH also enjoys beer and spirits.

Began collecting in the 1990s. Had absolutely no experience in hospitality, just began reading and dabbling. And I was not surrounded by anyone with the same hobby. That was when Wine Spectator used to have those tear-out shopping lists. Would check a few boxes of least expensive stuff and occasionally actually find those choices. Not often, but once in a while.

So interesting hearing all of these perspectives. Cheers!

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 89
RE: Cellar Count Milestones - 10/13/2015 2:03:27 PM   
SteveG

The way I see it, I have (finally) drunk almost half my wine:

Wine Consumed 2,110

Wine Purchased 4,235

The truth is of course I have only managed to slow down my purchasing to the point where I no longer buy greater than 2-for-1

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Cellar Count Milestones Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI