CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Appellation vs Designation vs Vineyard

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> Wine Data Errors & Corrections >> Appellation vs Designation vs Vineyard Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Appellation vs Designation vs Vineyard - 8/3/2016 5:38:57 AM   
fr78it

Could you better explain the meaning of these fields for edit/add-new wine?

What I've understood is:

Designation: the name of the wine given to the wine by the producer. It's usually reported in the main label and it could be any name depending on winemaker fantasy

Vineyard: particular piece or location name of the land where grapes are grown in (for example "bricco delle viole" for barolo) it is not present for all the wine.

Appellation: it should be the "legal" recognised name of the wine. By legal I mean that you can use that name on the label only if you respect some rules. These are example of appelation for me: "champagne","cremant de bourgougne", "bordeaux superieur", "amarone della valpolicella DOCG"

Am I right with this ?

I'have one more question: where am I supposed to write the blend of the wine ? Except for some wine single-blended many blended wine can be composed by different % of different wine. Do I have to take this information as "note" on my bottle information ?

Thanks

< Message edited by fr78it -- 8/3/2016 5:39:18 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Appellation vs Designation vs Vineyard - 8/3/2016 8:07:51 AM   
andrew

That pretty much nails it.

Aside from proprietary names, designation does include some legal terms like brut, meritage, vendange tardive, vieilles vignes and the like.

Vineyard is as expected. Designation and vineyard do intermix where where fantasy names have taken the place of vineyard and vice versa. Piedmont is a case study on that. In those cases as long as we are consistent, I stopped really worrying about where something was really a vineyard or not.

Appellation is almost always purely something legally defined. There are some gray areas. We have generally dropped adding in AOC/PGI/DOP/etc with the name. These have all changed during the time we have been doing this, so we gave up on that. There are VdP and others still in the system that we will eliminate over time.

If the front label has something blatant like "Cabernet-Shiraz" then place it in the designation. If there is some 'M% Cab N % Shiraz', we prefer not to have that since it changes. If it is a multiple blend, but there is a proprietary name, just that name is preferable. The detailed composition can be placed in About this Wine (aka wine wiki) where it will be public or you can place it in a private note.

Andrew Hall

CellarTracker Editorial & Support Services

(in reply to fr78it)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> Wine Data Errors & Corrections >> Appellation vs Designation vs Vineyard Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI