CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

NWR-ish grapes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> NWR-ish grapes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NWR-ish grapes - 8/19/2016 12:39:47 PM   
HTGJONES

Out of nothing but spur of the moment random curiousity, we've all tried alot of different grapes in wine drinking but what of those grapes have you tried... as grapes?
Post #: 1
RE: NWR-ish grapes - 8/19/2016 12:47:41 PM   
BobMilton

I've had Cabernet (BV), Petite Verdot (Larkmead), and Syrah (both Fess Parker and Zaca Mesa). They're really tasty, but I find it hard to associate the grape flavor with the wine flavor that eventually results.

(in reply to HTGJONES)
Post #: 2
RE: NWR-ish grapes - 8/19/2016 12:52:25 PM   
Jenise

Just a few. In red wine grapes, I can't say I've tasted elements of the eventual wine, but it's interesting to be in Chateaneur, say, and see that mourvedre grapes are larger and more oblong than syrah or grenache. The whites are probably more interesting to taste--gewurz grapes, for instance are quite spicy and you do get a sense of the eventual wine from them, and you can see the pinkish skins on the pinot gris and realize where the pale pink-ish gray color you so often see in that wine comes from.

If you're ever in Oregon near harvest time, visit Sokol Blosser's (hopefully they still have it) educational demonstration vineyard.

(in reply to BobMilton)
Post #: 3
RE: NWR-ish grapes - 8/19/2016 1:26:16 PM   
champagneinhand

I've grown Chardonnay and they are so good just to snack on. Pinot Gris and Pinot Blanc are pretty good as well. Syrah is great but one of the thicker skinned reds.

Plenty of great white grapes, but they tend to be pulpy. Riesling, Frontenac Gris, Gewurtztraminer is nice, and a few local non-vinifers that are pretty good especially just as grapes or for jellies. Vidal Blanc isn't bad though thicker skinned. Cab Franc can be great to horrid, depending on acidity and sugars.

I test my grapes all the time and it's not unusual to have some taste fantastic only to get serious heartburn as you don't notice the acidity while chomping a few down. When underripe that acids are enamel removing much like eating raspberries or other berries before they should be picked. Marion berries will tear you up even when dark if the seeds aren't big enough.

Lots of fun to try different grapes though. I forgot that Muscat is pretty tasty as well.

Usually I just crunch the seeds down as ruff age but many have very bitter seeds, so careful on that one. They must be ripe or really nasty seeds. Concord of course are heavenly like the Syrah without those thick skins.

I've also had all the Chamlagne grapes, but in a micro sized berry. Quite pleasant when you can find them contrasting Pinot noir, Pinot meaner and Chardonnay. All are delicious.

Khmark has some serious varieties growing at his place and at his moms properties.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 4
RE: NWR-ish grapes - 8/19/2016 5:23:10 PM   
khmark7

Yeah, i'm up to around 40+ varieties. Some wine grapes are great fresh eating, but others are just ok. Keep in mind that most of us are used to eating grapes at the grocery that are around 13% brix, while Concords are up around 16% and wine grapes are over 19%. Probably the best seeded/wine grape for fresh eating is Swenson Red, but there are so many that i'm sure there are others.

For the experts you should ask the raccoons in my yard. They seem to taste more lately than i do.....

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 5
RE: NWR-ish grapes - 8/20/2016 9:09:45 AM   
bretrooks

I've had a handful of different types, mostly just a few berries at a time from miscellaneous vineyards between SLO and Sonoma (merlot, tempranillo, riesling, cab sauv, petite syrah, pinot noir, a little syrah and grenache too, I think).

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> NWR-ish grapes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message