CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/18/2016 5:01:07 PM   
vinopkm

United decided I need an extra night on the road and stuck me at SFO. So OTBN for Brad was last night. Opened a '10 Alpha Omega Cab and then a '86 Château Lafaurie-Peyraguey. I decided to not open my bottles in common, but bottles that I thought would honor the theme of the event. A Cab and a OTBN wine in the Sautrenes. We drank the Cab with a great steak and potatoes meal, prime rib eyes and roasted red potatoes (with onions & bacon- topped with sour cream & chives). It was a live in the moment meal and celebrate more often with loved ones.

(in reply to Bob in NC)
Post #: 121
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/18/2016 9:11:56 PM   
PinotPhile

Like others, we had an OTBW. Enjoyed a Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon from DO Colchagua Valley Fri 12/16 through Sun 12/18. Varietal in common with Brad's cellar of 44% Cab.

I only knew Brad through his insightful posts on CT. He added to my learning experience and always sounded welcoming. In his honor, this trivia buff unearthed a few items about his apparently favorite grape ("CS"). Sources vary, and of course, all are subject to the accuracy of the writer.

CS shares a parent grape with Merlot: Cab Franc.

CS is the most planted varietal in world (in 2010, about 26%; more recently 36% share)

Australian CS is 3rd to Chard and Shiraz in order of most plantings, but is considered the most prestigious and promising by many

In Bordeaux, CS is about 22% of plantings, vs. Merlot 55%

With respect to the global CS market, shares are: France 19%, 14% each for Chile & Australia, 12% US

Colchagua Valley, Chile (origin of our OTBW wine) is known as the "Napa Valley of Chile"

CS is the second-most planted varietal in the US (Chard is #1)

CS comprises 76.5% plantings in China

I knew some of the above, but not all before geeking on the grape.

To Lesley, and to CTers who knew Brad well, my condolences.

To Brad, rest in peace, free of discomfort....

Prayers and blessings.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 122
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/18/2016 9:55:46 PM   
Hollowine

Thanks to Eric (schwank) for posting the wines we shared on Friday. It was a stellar night, we were jointed by Joe (arthrovine) and Beau (UCBeau) as well.

The wines were amazing, but the company and how we did up the meal would have made Brad proud. The fact that we went 4 hours and ended up getting most of the corkage comp'd, got into multiple laughing fits (Note to winemakers: we would like to buy up any and all Neutral Wood barrels for a joint venture we hatched over dinner), and I ended up with the most ridiculous 30 min case of the hiccups.

It was a fitting end to a great week of remembering Brad. I started the week being able to spend some time with Brad's wife Lesley in Florida. We shared some great conversations and many tears about Brad. We are convinced he was present with us as we decided to open a 1996 Salon with the Stone Crab claws Lesley picked up, only to struggle and find it took two of us and a pair of channel-lock pliers to get that damn Salon open!

The week continued with some great meals and wines with Dawn (Cookiefiend) and Joe, Franklin (Franklin_10) and Kristin, an unexpected run in with one of my longest friends Frank, then the wines and meal on Friday night with Eric and Harvest, Joe, and Beau. My liver is screaming "time out!" right now, but I wouldn't take back a minute or drop from the week.

S1 relayed a few Brad stories and I thought I'd share one that I hold pretty special, mostly for the effort that would go into eliciting a single "look" or a 10-second reaction...

In his High School/post High School years Brad was actually in a band that was named Mirage. Brad played Bass, there were 4-5 others who played various instruments and did some original compositions. Brad and I frequently talked music, instruments, stereo gear so I found this bit of his past pretty cool.

We had arranged a series of dinners in Vegas a few years back, and one of the afternoons was going to be spent doing a Rhone tasting in his suite at the Wynn. There were several of us in town Lesley, Ismo (Ikkarrienen) and Kim, Tim (wine_strategies), Tom (tacman). We were gathered in Brad's suite and we were discussing the night's pending dinner and what to do after it. I suggested doing something out of the ordinary and going and catching a show at the Mirage, there as a great up and coming band playing I thought we might like. Brad asked who was playing and I said "I can't recall their name, but they have some publicity demo's on the ticketing site" and I proceeded to cue up my iTunes on my laptop where I had loaded the first Album Brad's Mirage recorded in the early 70's. Now at this point, EVERYONE but Brad is looking at me with this music blaring and thinking "I am NOT going to waste my evening listening to that...that..." but the only person I was focused on was Brad, who 30 seconds before was sitting on the sofa in his Tommy Bahama shirt with a glass of Chave Hermitage Blanc and his big ol' boisterous grin he always wore. As the song picked up detail I watched his grin fall to complete dumb-struck neutrality and his eyes locked mine, the words came out as a question, but more like Jack Bauer interrogating a suspect for the location of a suitcase Nuke..."Where did YOU get that? How did you...where did you get that?!"

My response, with the sh!t eating grin that had to span ear-to-ear at this point, was something along the lines of "kinda catchy, eh?"

Brad had briefly flirted with FaceBook for maybe 3-4 months. in that brief time I'd seen he connected up with one of his band mates and his longest friend, so I had reached out to him and been able to obtain a copy of the album Mirage had made.

There are many others random acts of kindness and general tom foolery we were able to apply to one another to make these loops around the sun a bit more enjoyable and to let one another know we might be 3500 miles apart but we were always there in mind and spirit. It still really hurts that he is gone, but his spirit will forever be strong with us. Thanks for joining me for this occasion; it warmed my heart seeing so many great bottles, kind hearts, great stories.

Cheers!

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 123
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/19/2016 5:43:17 AM   
mc2 wines

Apologies for the late post on this. We spent most of Friday night in an airport/airplane due to a series of unfortunate incidents. Thankfully had pre-arranged to have a bottle of 2005 Blankiet Paradise Hills delivered to our room and that was the one piece of the night that went off without a hitch. It was in Brad's cellar (all consumed) and was the closest we could find in the Las Vegas area stores. So officially our OTBN was the 17th (even on West Coast time). Got to the room around 2 am local time. Popped the cork. Poured immediately. Savored a glass apiece and reflected on the few times we were lucky enough to spend with Brad. Told a few stories. Laughed a bit. Had some somber moments.

Wonderful idea and what a nice way to pay tribute. I like to think Brad checked in on all of us during it.

Friends don't let friends wine alone

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 124
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/19/2016 5:45:34 AM   
mc2 wines

So nice to read all of the tributes to Brad.

We were a little late landing in Vegas, but were able to procure and open a 2005 Blankiet Paradise Hill to toast his memory. To Brad. May everyday be a great Cabernet.

Friends don't let friends wine alone

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 125
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/19/2016 4:55:49 PM   
khmark7

Finally have an evening to prepare and edible dinner that goes well with Cabernet. 2006 Andrew Will Sorella.....nice stuff. One of those wines that makes you think, so much so that you go turn the music down so you can write a tasting note. Yup...

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 126
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/20/2016 8:45:53 AM   
nyccablover

Sorry for the late post on this, as we just returned from a long weekend in Atlanta. We opened the 2007 Checkerboard on Saturday night and raised a glass in honor of drycab. The Checkerboard is a big lush well made Napa cab from Diamond Mountain. We did not have the opportunity to decant, so the oak was a bit prevalent initially, but the dark black fruit and leather made their presence known and it ended up drinking really well. It was nice to have the connection of a common wine and pay tribute to such a well loved member of this community.

Wishing you all the best this holiday season.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 127
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/20/2016 8:50:07 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: nyccablover

2007 Checkerboard

That's a great bottle. Had a mag of that, brought by a long time mailing list member, and a Checkerboard dinner last year. Checkerboard was showing their 2012 vintage, and according to Beth from the company the Aurora bottling is the closest to the old non-designated Cabs.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to nyccablover)
Post #: 128
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/20/2016 3:51:30 PM   
kingkanu

It's been a bittersweet pleasure reading this thread, I'd never met Brad in person, I raise a glass of krug from this side of the water

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 129
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/20/2016 4:07:45 PM   
GalvezGuy

I was traveling this weekend so I chose last night to OTB.

I chose 2012 Schrader Cabernet Sauvignon RBS because we had it common (among 30+ other wines). It was really damn good. More advanced than I would have thought because of a dicey cork which was spongey and nearly broke when I was pulling it out. It would have never made it to normal maturity because the closure would have failed long before then. I choose to believe the choice to pull that particular bottle was overseen by someone other than me. RIP buddy

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to kingkanu)
Post #: 130
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/20/2016 6:20:55 PM   
champagneinhand

I smoked a Bolivar belicoso, in remembrance of Brad. I know that Bolivar were among his favorite stogies.

I sold so much of my Napa Cabs, it seemed to be that I had few choices that were drinking well. I'm sure Drycab would approve of the Bolivar remembrance. RIP buddy. We were also Jeep brothers as well as BOTL and wine enthusiasts.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 131
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/23/2016 9:59:50 AM   
ikkaariainen

Finally a chance to get back on here - we jumped the gun a bit on this due to other obligations and ended up doing this on Thursday the 15th instead of Friday the 16th but here is to my friend Brad and he would have strongly approved of not only the rib eye steaks but also of the wines including the 2016 CT SS gift wine - the '03 Harlan The Maiden that we had in play...

< Message edited by ikkaariainen -- 12/23/2016 10:31:29 AM >

Finnish by birth, Southern by the grace of God...

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 132
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/12/2017 12:51:38 PM   
vinopkm

Looking for the 2016 CT Washington thread (as I still need to buy) and stumbled across this one... I think a nice Napa Cab is in order for Saturday night.

(in reply to ikkaariainen)
Post #: 133
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/15/2017 7:38:26 AM   
rwilk_2000

Bumping to top. A nice cab is in order in memory of Drycab. Also something to sip while watching my Kansas City Chiefs!!!!

It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and you've got the stock market beat. But the man worthwhile is the man who can smile when his shorts are too tight in the seat.

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 134
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/16/2017 4:48:46 AM   
S1

I've been missing him a little extra lately.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to rwilk_2000)
Post #: 135
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/16/2017 3:20:35 PM   
S1

2008 Corra
(barrel tasted with Celia)

I love you Bradley, and miss you.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 136
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/16/2017 3:47:28 PM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

I've been missing him a little extra lately.

This.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 137
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/16/2017 3:54:16 PM   
fingers

Of the 34 wines I have in common with Drycab's cellar, only one is a bubbly. And since today is also Sparkling Saturday, and we're heading out for oysters at The Black Marlin, it's only appropriate to go big:

2002 Bollinger R.D. Extra Brut

I only met Brad once in person, in Seattle at Eric's, but his presence here is still missed

edit: got home from dinner and decided to continue the evening with an ‘05 Guiraud, the only other blanc our cellars have in common.
Great wines on a special night. Thanks Brad

< Message edited by fingers -- 12/17/2017 7:13:16 AM >

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 138
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/17/2017 4:33:32 PM   
mtpisgah

I opened a 2005 Match Cabernet which is a wine I have in common with Brad's cellar. This is a great wine.

Brad was a great guy who was taken too soon.

Paul

I read books to pass the time until the next bottle of wine.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 139
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/17/2017 5:39:19 PM   
musedir

I opened a 2011 sleight of hand the archimage which is a Bordeaux blend but its heart is in the love of a hearty red. RIP Drycab.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 140
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI