CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - Taking Orders

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - Taking Orders Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - Taking Orders - 12/19/2016 11:19:40 PM   
Hollowine

As this past Summer approached, I pondered another WA State CT Barrel project. The wines in 2012 and 2014 were really good, and I especially loved the 2014 project with the ability to source both Rocks District of Milton-Freewater Syrah and DuBrul vineyard Cabernet.

Well, 2016 had already been a bugger of a year for me by the time Summer hit, and I just didn't think I could add anything more to my plate. So I watched from the sidelines as a stellar vintage came in for WA State, and knew there would be many good wines to be found once this vintage heads to market.

Then came the passing of my close friend Drycab. Brad had been my sounding board on most of the decisions of the past two projects, and his loss really shook me up. As I was working through this news I was speaking to another friend of mine, Pinto Naravane at Rasa Vineyards, and I just casually asked if he might have some 2016 Cabernet in barrels that I might option for a commemorative bottling for Drycab? Pinto got back to me a few days later and let me know that while he never knew Brad personally, he knew how much he meant to the CT community and he was happy to make some adjustments and option a couple barrels of the same DuBrul Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon for a commemorative bottling. He also let me know that he was also able to allocate a couple barrels of SJR Syrah to give us a nice option for the same pair of wines as we did in 2014 WA State CT Barrel project. (Brad and I are big fans of Verticals, so this just made my day)

I was a bit speechless. This wasn't fruit contracted before the harvest, this is wine in the barrel. A sincere thank you to Pinto and Billo who continue to be wonderful friends of mine and the CT Community at large.

Pinto and I have decided to make a couple slight changes to the project for 2016. The first is that this will be the first time we bottle with a designated wine name and front labels, not just the TTB approved back labels. I was able to visit with Mrs Drycab this past weekend, and ran my idea past her for her blessing and assistance...which she thought was a great idea. So while I haven't finalized this, we are planning to have two wines (Pending TTB Approval):

2016 Big Dog Syrah - SJR Vineyard, The Rocks District of Milton-Freewater

Brad and I shared more than one Syrah over the years, many of them Cayuse or Northern Rhone. Brad was a big-dog of a personality as anyone who ever met him will attest. His love of wine was probably followed closely by his love of his huge dog, Apollo. The wine will have a front label image of Brad's German Shepard Apollo.

Located in The Rocks District of Milton-Freewater AVA, the SJR Vineyard lies adjacent to the young Estate vineyard of Rasa. I will let you read a bit more about The Rocks and SJR vineyard here if you aren't already in the know...

http://www.wawinereport.com/2013/02/proposed-rocks-of-milton-freewater-ava.html

Also, I'll note that this will probably be the final year we can source Rocks District Syrah as it is growing in demand and SJR's own label Delmas continues to gain great reviews and popularity. I'd recommend if you haven't already done so, you should jump out and get on their mailing list before it goes the way of Reynvaan and Cayuse and becomes a closed list. (https://delmaswines.com)

2016 Hommage à Drycab, Cabernet Sauvignon - DuBrul Vineyard

His CT handle says all you need to say about Brad's love of Cabernet. I'm very happy to have the opportunity to have Pinto and Billo craft a fitting bottling for this name from the DuBrul Vineyard fruit. I'm not yet sure of the label on this one but it will likely be a knock-off reproduction of the Hundred Acre label to pay homage to Brad's cellar...ok, I jest...I'm not sure, but it will be something fitting to his love of wine.

More about DuBrul vineyard here:

http://www.wawinereport.com/2013/12/a-yakima-valley-icon.html

I hope you will be as excited as I am for these two opportunities, and if you have the chance, please thank Pinto and Billo for helping make this possible!

We want as many people as possible to be able to get some of these wines, so we are simply going to offer this 2016 WA State Custom Crush project in six-pack increments (three bottles Apollo Syrah/three bottles Drycab Cabernet). Price for the 6 pack = $260, Cases are on a first-requested basis...

The other big change that will work better for everyone involved is I will simply step out of the way and let you coordinate all payment and pickup/shipping details directly with Rasa. Please just email Pinto at Rasa Vineyards if you would like to place an order, he will do 50% now and 50% at time of bottling (18 months +/-)

pinto@rasavineyards.com

I hope you join me in participating in this Commemorative project (I'm in for two cases!) These will be wines you can enjoy for many years to come…

Project Wines:

2016 Hommage à Drycab, Cabernet Sauvignon - DuBrul Vineyard

Winemakers:

Billo and Pinto Naravane of Rasa Vineyards

Production/Cost:

100 Cases production, sold in 6-pk lots with 3 bottles SJR Syrah and 3 bottles DuBrul Cabernet
Cost = $260/six pack

Note: feel free to order a case or more if you desire, these will be some stellar wines. Only if we run out might we ask those with higher allocations to pare back a tad for the community benefit.

Feel free to post in this thread any comments, ideas for the front label of Hommage, experiences with the 2014 wines for those who may be new to the WA State CT projects, etc. This is great opportunity to source some wines that would sell for much higher price and to pay tribute to our community and Drycab.

Cheers!

< Message edited by Hollowine -- 12/22/2016 10:36:18 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - 12/20/2016 2:03:57 AM   
cookiefiend

I'm in!

I think this is a fantastic idea, and incredibly generous on Pinto's part!
Scott - you deserve some kudos too for pulling it together!
Thank you so much!

When we talked about this earlier, you had mentioned possibly using Brad's Mousetrap label? I still like that idea - and I love the idea of using Apollo on the Big Dawg label... I think Brad would like that too.

Dawn

'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'
Aldous Huxley

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 2
RE: 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - 12/20/2016 2:15:01 AM   
Slye

Ditto ^

Just sent an email! Thanks Scott for doing this again.

(in reply to cookiefiend)
Post #: 3
RE: 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - 12/20/2016 3:46:34 AM   
musedir

Well obviously I'm in. If it involves great WA grapes, Rasa and a valued CT member, what's not to like?

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 4
RE: 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - 12/20/2016 6:20:00 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

I'm in. Nicely done Hollowine! Thanks also of course to the brothers Naravane.

A thought on the label(s) would be to use Brad's CT profile photo that has Apollo sitting in his lap. My other thought would be to defer to Leslie and let her choose a favorite photo or other memento for use.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 12/20/2016 8:57:25 AM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 5
RE: 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - 12/20/2016 7:11:55 AM   
mc2 wines

In as well! Fabulous idea! Many thanks Scott and Pinto!

Friends don't let friends wine alone

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 6
RE: 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - 12/20/2016 7:18:51 AM   
champagneinhand

I am very happy you could arrange this. Pinto is such a good guy. You were obviously a great friend to Brad. It's still hard grasping that he's not here any longer. I have contacted Pinto directly about payment and I am in.

Thanks again Scott.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 7
RE: 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - 12/20/2016 8:42:47 AM   
S1

As I already told you, I am definitely IN.
If you and others are interested, I could probably get The Princess to give permission to use the Flying Piggy painting she did for Bradley. I would need to get the original from Les and get a proper professional quality scan.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 8
RE: 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - 12/20/2016 8:51:23 AM   
mclancy10006

Needless to say I am in!

Excellent ideas here between Hollowine, the Rasa crew, and S1

-Mark

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 9
RE: 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - 12/20/2016 10:04:48 AM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

As I already told you, I am definitely IN.
If you and others are interested, I could probably get The Princess to give permission to use the Flying Piggy painting she did for Bradley. I would need to get the original from Les and get a proper professional quality scan.

I'd already thought about that painting, it is a good idea. The Mousetrap label also has merits due to Lesley creating it. We have time, keep the ideas coming!

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 10
RE: 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - 12/20/2016 10:11:14 AM   
Hollowine

Thanks for the enthusiasm everyone, this group is great!

We want as many people as possible to have the opportunity to participate, so feel free to seek others to split a six pack if you don't want a full six. I want to keep things simple on Rasa for fulfillment.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 11
RE: 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - 12/20/2016 10:56:29 AM   
Franklin 10

Ditto all the kudos.

In.

And you can tell everybody back in The Moratorium from where I will be emailimg Pinto all nonchalant 'cause Drycab/CT...

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 12
RE: 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - 12/20/2016 10:58:12 AM   
nyccablover

I am in - just sent my e-mail to Pinto. What a wonderful tribute!

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 13
RE: 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - 12/20/2016 1:05:40 PM   
Sourdough

Haven't opened any of the 2014 wines yet but have faith they are great. Have visited Rasa and know the skill there.

And I am in!

(in reply to nyccablover)
Post #: 14
RE: 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - 12/20/2016 1:20:37 PM   
dsGris

I just got my additional 2014 wines and need to send a check, so I will go ahead and add an order for the CT 16s. Thanks to you both.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 15
RE: 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - 12/20/2016 3:59:32 PM   
GalvezGuy

In for a six pack

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 16
RE: 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - 12/20/2016 6:16:06 PM   
champagneinhand

Paid for my share. Pinto is always so fun to correspond with. Again a big thanks to Scott for putting this all together. I spent but just 2 weekends of wine debauchery with Brad, S1, Old Doug, Mindmuse and several others and have shared single nights or weekends with many a forum member and have never regretted any of them.

I do feel a kinship with many of you. Pinto and Billo as well and really need to get back to WA State to share a few great bottles with the Naravane brothers if possible.

This gives me something to look forward to, much more than buying any futures or pre-orders from any one merchant, though I do need to get to the Bay Area to try and hoist some glasses with old friends as well as Smig and Roland from JJB.

CT forum members are in general a fine lot. Cheers to all of you.

< Message edited by champagneinhand -- 12/20/2016 6:17:01 PM >

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 17
RE: 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - 12/20/2016 7:43:20 PM   
Endodr

This sounds great. I've never participated in these wine projects, but I'd like to join in. Do I email the winery?
Jeff

Post #: 18
RE: 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - 12/20/2016 8:35:54 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Endodr

This sounds great. I've never participated in these wine projects, but I'd like to join in. Do I email the winery?
Jeff

Welcome Endodr! I think you will be happy you jumped in. The CT Barrel Projects have been projects a few of us have coordinated in Napa and Washington where we contract fruit sources and make a couple different wines in a given season. We've seen some pretty stellar wines in the 2012 and 2014 Washington projects, and 2016 is shaping up to be a great vintage as well.

Just send Pinto an email, his address is in the first post. Cheers!

(in reply to Endodr)
Post #: 19
RE: 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - 12/20/2016 8:55:39 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: champagneinhand

CT forum members are in general a fine lot. Cheers to all of you.

They certainly are! Thanks David.

Post #: 20
RE: 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - 12/20/2016 9:24:22 PM   
rwilk_2000

Scott

Brilliant way to honor and remember our friend Brad. Thanks for taking the initiative to get another project off the ground and special thanks to Pinto and Billo for their genoristy in making a 2016 project come to fruition. I am of course in again.

Ryan

It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and you've got the stock market beat. But the man worthwhile is the man who can smile when his shorts are too tight in the seat.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 21
RE: 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - 12/21/2016 3:28:14 AM   
musedir

quote:

Scott, are you going to post this wine to the Cellar Tracker inventory? Enough have gone ahead and committed to get thee bottles listed in our never-gonna-get-to-zero pending lists. Or will this be a special Rasa project?

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to rwilk_2000)
Post #: 22
RE: 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - 12/21/2016 6:56:52 AM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

quote:

Scott, are you going to post this wine to the Cellar Tracker inventory? Enough have gone ahead and committed to get thee bottles listed in our never-gonna-get-to-zero pending lists. Or will this be a special Rasa project?

I'll speak to Pinto and see what we wish to do. Not sure yet on how many have been sold, our goal is 100 cases to make this cost effective in a couple directions.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 23
RE: 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - 12/21/2016 7:00:44 AM   
musedir

Understood.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 24
RE: 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - 12/21/2016 7:07:44 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Scott, how do you want folks to declare for a second (or more) share? I'd be in for a full case, but do want as many folks as want to participate. Thanks

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 25
RE: 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - 12/21/2016 7:43:59 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

Scott, how do you want folks to declare for a second (or more) share? I'd be in for a full case, but do want as many folks as want to participate. Thanks

Wish list!

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

Post #: 26
RE: 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - 12/21/2016 8:09:01 AM   
mc2 wines

quote:

We put in for the full case directly. If the wine runs out figured it would get posted and then we'd be happy of course to give up one of the shares so everyone has a chance.

Friends don't let friends wine alone

Post #: 27
RE: 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - 12/21/2016 8:54:48 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: mc2 wines

quote:

We put in for the full case directly. If the wine runs out figured it would get posted and then we'd be happy of course to give up one of the shares so everyone has a chance.

That makes sense and I'll use the same approach. Cheers to the East Side Winos.

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 28
RE: 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - 12/21/2016 10:52:55 AM   
BenNoir

I've sent Pinto my request for 1 case. If demand is too high, I could drop to a six pack so everyone can share. If we are under ordered I could up it to two cases.

ben

Post #: 29
RE: 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - 12/21/2016 11:18:04 AM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: mc2 wines

quote:

THIS.

Please feel free to request whatever quantity you want, we have 100 Cases, or 200 6-packs. I want this to sell out for all the right reasons of supporting Rasa, memorializing Brad, having a great CT Community wine, etc. I know we will do right by each other if availability gets tight, but please order what you wish, I am in for a case as well.

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> 2016 WA State CT Custom Crush Project - Taking Orders Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI