CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Salute Hartford Ct Offline Monday August 21st Please Post Wines

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Salute Hartford Ct Offline Monday August 21st Please Post Wines Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Salute Hartford Ct Offline Monday August 21st Please Po... - 7/22/2017 10:10:28 AM   
Wineguy55

Hoping we can gather enough interest to do another Ct offline in the Hartford or W Htfd area the 3rd week of August. We have had some great times at both Salute and Dish lately and before that we did Avert in W Htfd. Willing to do one of these or try somewhere new. Open theme past attendees as well as newbies all welcome. Anyone interested ?

Interested:
1. Jonathan Sirot-2003 Corton Chateau Corton Andre Grand Cru + 2001 Andrew Will Sorella
3. Dennis + Windy Kanagie-2007 Fontadi Flaccianello della Pieve Colli della Toscana Centrale +JJ Prum
4. Tad Witherington-2004 Rene Geoffroy Champagne Volupte
5. Jay Presbie-2002 La Pousse d'Or Volnay 1er Cru Caillerets
6. Joe Neri-2008 Shafer Red Shoulder Ranch Chardonnay
Jacques cant make it but my friend Joe is in.

Room for a few more in case anyone else is interested.

I spoke with the owner Jimmy at Salute made the reservation for 6 of us at 6:30. He agreed to an $80 fixed corkage for the 6 of us for up to 8 bottles. This is a great deal as their normal rate is $20 per bottle. I will personally be bringing 2 bottles as I always do. Others are only required to bring one unless anyone else feels like bringing an extra.

< Message edited by Wineguy55 -- 8/20/2017 11:47:08 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Anyone up for another Hartford Ct Offline in August ? - 7/22/2017 10:21:05 AM   
CranBurgundy

Depending on the night, we could be in.

Both my wife and I work odd schedules including weekends, so Monday or Tuesday nights are usually the best options. However, I've been known to bend / amend the schedule for Sundays, and if I can do that my wife knocks off early so that night could be in the mix.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 2
RE: Anyone up for another Hartford Ct Offline in August ? - 7/22/2017 6:38:18 PM   
CranBurgundy

Oh, and if we can make it, I have a suggestion for a theme..... sort of. Post a list of 5-ish bottles you were thinking of bringing and let the other attendees pick. 1 bottle per person, and anything beyond that is completely open.

However, after the last offline I think we might want to limit it to one bottle each. 14 or 15 bottles between 10 of us was pushing it. We were walking back to the hotel saying to each other how good of a decision it was to get a room. I couldn't imagine trying to drive back to South Joizey after that!

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 3
RE: Anyone up for another Hartford Ct Offline in August ? - 7/23/2017 2:57:15 AM   
Wineguy55

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

Oh, and if we can make it, I have a suggestion for a theme..... sort of. Post a list of 5-ish bottles you were thinking of bringing and let the other attendees pick. 1 bottle per person, and anything beyond that is completely open.

However, after the last offline I think we might want to limit it to one bottle each. 14 or 15 bottles between 10 of us was pushing it. We were walking back to the hotel saying to each other how good of a decision it was to get a room. I couldn't imagine trying to drive back to South Joizey after that!

I kind of enjoy picking the wine but could relinquish that choice in the interest of a good theme. As for bringing only one bottle I might have trouble with that one as I seem to always bring 2. I recommend others maybe stick to one per person if they wish. I suspect this will be a smaller group as we have had a lot of offlines lately locally but we shall see. I also posted on Berserkers and Jacques Lewis is interested. That makes 4 of us so far I will also check with my friends Jay and Joe to see if they are interested

Post #: 4
RE: Anyone up for another Hartford Ct Offline in August ? - 7/24/2017 9:35:49 AM   
twither

Count me in for another offline in Hartford. I thought that Dish was quite accommodating last time, but I would be happy to try another venue.

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 5
RE: Anyone up for another Hartford Ct Offline in August ? - 7/28/2017 5:13:43 PM   
Wineguy55

Bump anyone else interested ? We have 5 people so far 3 more would be ideal but small offlines are fun too. The show must go on

(in reply to twither)
Post #: 6
RE: Anyone up for another Hartford Ct Offline in August ? - 7/29/2017 6:51:15 AM   
racerchris

My August schedule is already too busy so I'll have to pass this time.

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 7
RE: Anyone up for another Hartford Ct Offline in August ? - 7/29/2017 12:30:13 PM   
Wineguy55

quote:

ORIGINAL: racerchris

My August schedule is already too busy so I'll have to pass this time.

Sorry you can't make this one Chris but 3 out of 4 ain't bad hopefully next time

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 8
RE: Anyone up for another Hartford Ct Offline in August ? - 8/10/2017 12:49:21 PM   
Wineguy55

We have 6 people interested so far, which is not a bad sized crowd. Certainly room for more if anyone else wants to join in... I changed the date to the 21st as the 22nd is my girlfriends birthday. Is the 21st a date that everyone interested can attend ? If so great if not we can push the date further out for maximum attendance

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 9
RE: Anyone up for another Hartford Ct Offline in August ? - 8/10/2017 3:17:49 PM   
CranBurgundy

Actually, Monday works even better for us.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 10
RE: Anyone up for another Hartford Ct Offline in August ? - 8/10/2017 3:18:30 PM   
wineismylife

Side note: I'll be up there the middle of September if anybody would like to tip a few.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

Post #: 11
RE: Anyone up for another Hartford Ct Offline in August ? - 8/11/2017 12:46:45 AM   
Wineguy55

quote:

ORIGINAL: wineismylife

Side note: I'll be up there the middle of September if anybody would like to tip a few.

Sure ! Drop me a line when you know your travel dates, and which part of the state you will be in, and I will try to arrange a get together.

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 12
RE: Anyone up for another Hartford Ct Offline in August ? - 8/11/2017 6:39:06 PM   
twither

The 21st work for me. Salute?

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 13
RE: Anyone up for another Hartford Ct Offline in August ? - 8/12/2017 7:38:14 AM   
Wineguy55

quote:

ORIGINAL: twither

Great ! I have confirmed that August 21st works for everyone. I made an executive decision to go with Salute. They did a great job at the dinner I arranged in June. I just made the reservation for 6:30.
I spoke to the owner and he agreed to a reduced corkage fee of $80 for up to 8 bottles. This is half off the original corkage of $20 per bottle. I will be bringing two bottles. Others are only required to bring one bottle each unless anyone else feels like bringing an extra bottle they are more than welcome to.

(in reply to twither)
Post #: 14
RE: Anyone up for another Hartford Ct Offline in August ? - 8/12/2017 7:42:14 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wineguy55

quote:

Great ! I have confirmed that August 21st works for everyone. I made an executive decision to go with Salute. They did a great job at the dinner I arranged in June. I just made the reservation for 6:30.
I spoke to the owner and he agreed to a reduced corkage fee of $80 for up to 8 bottles. This is half off the original corkage of $20 per bottle. I will be bringing two bottles. Others are only required to bring one bottle each unless anyone else feels like bringing an extra bottle they are more than welcome to.

We'll get a room, and pick a nice bottle each. I'm sure Windy will select a Riesling (shocker! ), but I might go anti-Miles with a surprise. A large format surprise, that is.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 15
RE: Anyone up for another Hartford Ct Offline in August ? - 8/12/2017 9:20:43 AM   
Wineguy55

quote:

quote:

quote:

We'll get a room, and pick a nice bottle each. I'm sure Windy will select a Riesling (shocker! ), but I might go anti-Miles with a surprise. A large format surprise, that is.

Well I guess since this is an anti-Miles theme I won't bring the 1982 Petrus I was planning on as after all it is f*cking merlot...

Post #: 16
RE: Anyone up for another Hartford Ct Offline in August ? - 8/12/2017 6:05:27 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

quote:

Well I guess since this is an anti-Miles theme I won't bring the 1982 Petrus I was planning on as after all it is f*cking merlot...

Well, you should bring it since it is f*cking Merlot, and anti-Miles means we certainly will drink it.

I might even bag my bottle and see if anyone can guess it double blind.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 17
RE: Anyone up for another Hartford Ct Offline in August ? - 8/17/2017 7:01:13 PM   
Wineguy55

Well my wifes book club accidently drank the 82 Petrus as we were out of Sutter Home white zinfandel. So I guess I will bring a 2003 Corton Chateau Corton Andre Grand Cru. I will also be bringing a 2nd btl. Jacques will not be able to make it but my friend Joe will be joining us. Please post your wines. The event will be starting at 6;30 as long as this works for everyone. Please confirm that you can make it by then,

Post #: 18
RE: Anyone up for another Hartford Ct Offline in August ? - 8/17/2017 7:33:56 PM   
CranBurgundy

After working out a schedule fiasco at my company, we should be there with time to spare. Both Windy and I are off Monday and Tuesday, with a room booked literally around the corner for Monday night.

I'll be letting my wife choose the Riesling, but that usually means JJ Prüm - and probably with 10+ years of age.

For the bottle of red, I'm down to 3 and will bring any of them per request. My anti-Miles thought was a mag of 1994 Arrowood Reserve Speciale Merlot (drinking stupendously fantabulously stellar and has often been mistaken for a Right Bank / Pomerol Bordeaux by experienced winos), but seeing as Salute is an Italian place I could also bring a 750ml of 1998 Podere Rocche dei Manzoni Barolo Vigna Cappella di Santo Stefano or 2007 Fontodi Flaccianello della Pieve Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT. If you'll pardon my saying so, there is no bad choice among the 3.

Now, a word about dessert.... If you've never had Vin Santo with biscotti, you aren't finishing an Italian meal correctly. I've got a 2004 Felsina Vin Santo in 375ml that's sensational. If this isn't my favorite dessert combo, it's certainly on the podium. The question is if it's okay for me to bring this as it would be our 3rd bottle for 2 people.

So in summary:

Bottle #1
JJ Prüm 750ml (not up for negotiations per The Boss, aka my wife), vintage TBD

Bottle #2 - choice of....
1994 Arrowood Reserve Speciale Merlot 1.5L
1998 Podere Rocche dei Manzoni Barolo Vigna Cappella di Santo Stefano 750ml
2007 Fontodi Flaccianello della Pieve Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT 750ml

Bottle #3 - if permitted....
2004 Felsina Vin Santo 375ml

I'm really looking forward to this.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 19
RE: Anyone up for another Hartford Ct Offline in August ? - 8/20/2017 6:34:23 AM   
Wineguy55

quote:

After working out a schedule fiasco at my company, we should be there with time to spare. Both Windy and I are off Monday and Tuesday, with a room booked literally around the corner for Monday night.

I'll be letting my wife choose the Riesling, but that usually means JJ Prüm - and probably with 10+ years of age.

For the bottle of red, I'm down to 3 and will bring any of them per request. My anti-Miles thought was a mag of 1994 Arrowood Reserve Speciale Merlot (drinking stupendously fantabulously stellar and has often been mistaken for a Right Bank / Pomerol Bordeaux by experienced winos), but seeing as Salute is an Italian place I could also bring a 750ml of 1998 Podere Rocche dei Manzoni Barolo Vigna Cappella di Santo Stefano or 2007 Fontodi Flaccianello della Pieve Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT. If you'll pardon my saying so, there is no bad choice among the 3.

Now, a word about dessert.... If you've never had Vin Santo with biscotti, you aren't finishing an Italian meal correctly. I've got a 2004 Felsina Vin Santo in 375ml that's sensational. If this isn't my favorite dessert combo, it's certainly on the podium. The question is if it's okay for me to bring this as it would be our 3rd bottle for 2 people.

So in summary:

Bottle #1
JJ Prüm 750ml (not up for negotiations per The Boss, aka my wife), vintage TBD

Bottle #2 - choice of....
1994 Arrowood Reserve Speciale Merlot 1.5L
1998 Podere Rocche dei Manzoni Barolo Vigna Cappella di Santo Stefano 750ml
2007 Fontodi Flaccianello della Pieve Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT 750ml

Bottle #3 - if permitted....
2004 Felsina Vin Santo 375ml

I'm really looking forward to this.

Dennis
Sure its certainly ok to bring 3 bottles especially since I always bring 2 bottles myself. I personally would love to try to Fontodi Flaccianello but they all sound good in case you prefer one of the others. I am waiting to hear what Tad will bring. Unless he is bringing a bubbly then I will bring a 1999 Argyle extended tirage brut. Otherwise I will bring something else. Looking forward to seeing everyone there. I will be confirming with Jay and Joe what they will be bringing and I will post this evening in case anyone is curious.

< Message edited by Wineguy55 -- 8/20/2017 6:35:17 AM >

Post #: 20
RE: Anyone up for another Hartford Ct Offline in August ? - 8/20/2017 8:32:15 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

I personally would love to try to Fontodi Flaccianello

So let it be requested, so let it be decanted.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 21
RE: Anyone up for another Hartford Ct Offline in August ? - 8/20/2017 8:41:40 AM   
twither

I can bring a champagne: 2004 René Geoffroy Champagne Volupté. I opened a bottle of this about 4 years ago and it was great! I will also bring a back-up....

Post #: 22
RE: Anyone up for another Hartford Ct Offline in August ? - 8/20/2017 11:05:54 PM   
Wineguy55

After much deliberation we have the final list of wines people are bringing. Please see first post for updated list.

Start time is 6:30. Looking forward to another great evening.

< Message edited by Wineguy55 -- 8/20/2017 11:50:31 PM >

(in reply to twither)
Post #: 23
RE: Anyone up for another Hartford Ct Offline in August ? - 8/21/2017 8:40:48 PM   
CranBurgundy

Now THAT was fun! Can't decide which was my favorite appetizer, but the sweet potato ravioli might be the winner.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 24
RE: Anyone up for another Hartford Ct Offline in August ? - 8/22/2017 11:05:05 AM   
Wineguy55

quote:

Now THAT was fun! Can't decide which was my favorite appetizer, but the sweet potato ravioli might be the winner.

Another great event thank you Dennis and Windy for making the trip. A nice lineup with 4 different countries represented. It would be real hard to pick wotn but to me it might be between my Merus and Jays Burgundy and the Fontadi was right up there too. Maybe it should be a 3 way tie. My burg was getting better with some air towards the end of the night. The Vin Santo was also excellent with the biscotti. You weren't fooling. Love love love the sweet potato ravioli I would definitely pick it as my favorite. Kudos to our waiter Mike and Salute for the excellent food and service.

Post #: 25
RE: Anyone up for another Hartford Ct Offline in August ? - 8/22/2017 12:25:44 PM   
racerchris

I remember the sweet potato ravioli from the last event at Salute.

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 26
RE: Anyone up for another Hartford Ct Offline in August ? - 8/22/2017 4:37:34 PM   
CranBurgundy

Well, Windy went for a second glass of Jay's 2002 Volnay so I can certainly tell you which red was the least tannic.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 27
RE: Anyone up for another Hartford Ct Offline in August ? - 8/23/2017 6:52:44 AM   
Wineguy55

quote:

ORIGINAL: racerchris

I remember the sweet potato ravioli from the last event at Salute.

I remembered it so fondly from the first time I strongly urged the table to order it and no one resisted. Since it is so good I looked up a recipe online. I probably wouldn't make my own ravioli like they do. I would buy store bought sweet potato raviolis and then make my own sage cream sauce which looks super easy. It should be almost as good. My girlfriend is willing to make it. Yay !

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Salute Hartford Ct Offline Monday August 21st Please Post Wines Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI