CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 8/21/2017 12:53:19 PM   
bretrooks

Some recent daily drinkers we've enjoyed:

2014 Dão Sul Dão Cabriz Colheita Seleccionada - $6.99 at Costco. Just reloaded on a few more of these. A very nice, straightforward mid-weight red for the price, warm and spicy, seems versatile with food.

2014 Señorio de Barahonda Yecla Campo Arriba Old Vines - $8.99 at Costco. Richer and denser and also a bit spicy - a good BBQ/grilled meat wine for the price.

2016 Luzada Xil Rías Baixas Luzada - $6.99 at TJ's. A little more weight and depth than the Espiral Vinho Verde we sometimes get at TJ's for summer sipping, but similarly satisfying.

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 571
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 8/22/2017 11:50:07 AM   
PinotPhile

Thanks, Bret. Always looking for TJ bargains. Recently, the Panilonco series (Chile) at about $4/bottle has been OK. Seems to be made by a major producer (Vinedos Marchigue). Several whites and reds available. We like the Carmenere, Cab Sauv best; there are others. Just an idea.

Chilean Cheers!

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 572
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 8/23/2017 8:06:12 AM   
BRR

I get a weekly, "NW Wine of the Week" from Wine Press Northwest. This week's wine was the 2015 Drumheller Wines Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley. I've never heard of the label, so here's what they wrote:

"This young, value brand by Ste. Michelle Wine Estates, spearheaded by winemaker Tim Jones, is on the rise. Named for the Drumheller Channels created during the Ice Age Floods near Othello, Wash., it focuses on fruit from the Wahluke Slope. As a product of a record-hot growing year, this is redolent with aromas and flavors of black currant, black cherry and blackberry, backed by firm plum skin tannins and bittersweet chocolate. Jones more than doubled his production from its debut vintage of 2014, and this bottling from the 2015 vintage won best of class at the 2017 Washington State Wine Competition."

According to this, it's only $12 and, at 35,000 cases, it should be fairly widely distributed. Based on how solid CsM regular wines can be (at around the $15-$20 mark), I'm going to seek this out.

Cheers!

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 573
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 8/28/2017 4:58:33 PM   
CBJB

2012 Bodegas Ondarre Rioja Reserva - $14 from WTSO and pops up every month or so. Previous vintages have been god as well.

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 574
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 8/29/2017 9:57:07 AM   
Scott W

quote:

ORIGINAL: BRR

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

While this doesn't fit the thread, necessarily, based on the OP, it's germane to the few posts immediately prior to this one. Full Pull just sent out an email for the next step-up from the AF Nichols WV Pinot Noir. It's for the 2011 A.F. Nichols Pinot Noir Principio, and it's $19.99 (down from the original $40, apparently). Just thought I'd update, even though it's not under $15. Go for it, CranBurgundy!!!

Link?

Thanks!

https://fullpullwines.com/
You have to sign up to get the email offers. I'm sure if you signed up and then emailed them about the recent AF Nichols offering, they'd gladly send it your way. Here's the text from the emailed offering:

Hello friends. Back in May, we offered the first of two pre-purchased Pinot parcels from AF Nichols. That was Alex Nichols’ 2014 Willamette Valley Pinot, and it turned into one of our most popular offers of the year, and one of our most popular Pinot offers ever. I was initially planning on waiting until Anniversary Week in October to offer parcel number two, but we keep getting reorder requests for the ’14 (which sold out the week we offered it), and there’s clearly interest among our list members to check out more of Alex’s craftsmanship.

Squeaky wheels, meet grease; in the form of a Pinot Noir that began its life with a $40 tag:

2011 AF Nichols Pinot Noir Principio - $22.99 (TPU $19.99)

You may remember that these parcels came to us courtesy of one particular member of Full Pull’s Vast Network of Wine Spies (VNoWS)™ who has brought us deal after exceptional deal. He is a winemaker in his own right. Also a karaoke savant. A purveyor of meadowfoam honey. A new dad.

I’ll reprint the March 30 e-mail detailing how this deal went down:

My name is Alex Nichols. I own a small label based in Newberg, OR called A. F. Nichols producing about 1000 cases of Pinot noir each vintage. [WINE SPY] is a good friend of mine and suggested I reach out to you about sending a few samples your way. I have a couple of wines that I would love to show you and I think they would be a good fit with what you guys are doing at Full Pull.

A bit about me and my winemaking style: I started my brand in 2010, and at that point I was the youngest winemaker in the state. I started with just 125 cases and have slowly grown over to producing about 1000 cases each vintage for myself as well as a couple of small clients. I graduated from Oregon State University with a degree in Enology & Viticulture and have worked at a number of wineries in Oregon including Adelsheim, Chehalem Winery, and Argyle Winery where I am currently the Enologist.

While my background and training is more technical, my own winemaking style is more driven by intuition and taste. I don't consider myself a natural winemaker, but I suppose my practices fall in line. All of my wines are fermented with native yeasts, unfined, unfiltered, and have minimal sulfite additions. I include whole clusters in all of my ferments ranging from 10-50%. All of my ferments are punched down by hand and commonly by foot, and my wines rarely see a pump before bottling. I try to craft wines that reflect the vineyard and vintage, and I like being able to sell them for a reasonable price. Please let me know if you are interested and I will make sure I can get some samples sent your way.

On April 12, we cracked the samples and were blown away by the quality for the price being offered. I reached out to our spy, to inquire further about why these wines were so excellent, and here was his response (I’ll exclude the emojis): He’s the real deal. Alex has ridiculously good Pinot contracts, those that rival any premium producer. His wines show restraint over extraction, so I’ve always been a fan. Plus they’re often well-priced, below market average.

On April 17, I made Alex an offer to buy out every single bottle of both wines we tasted.

On April 27, the wine arrived safely in our warehouse.

On May 19, we sent our first Nichols offer, and as I said, the plan was an October offer for the second, but you’re impatient, I’m impatient, we’re all impatient for more well-priced Pinot.

Principio is the flagship wine for AF Nichols, a selection of the finest barrels from any vintage. In 2011 it was a four-barrel lot, and three of those barrels came from the old vines at Woodhall Vineyard, a 1977 site that doubles as Oregon State University’s research vineyard. Alex cut his winemaking teeth as a research assistant at OSU, which explains his access to this old-vine site. Here’s how he describes the vineyard: It’s a fantastic site nestled into the foothills of the coast range; south facing, mid-elevation, volcanic soils and own-rooted Pinot noir from the 70s.

The wine was done with about 8% whole clusters and 25% new oak, and it clocks in at 13% listed alc. It kicks off with an evocative, expressive nose: cherries, dried strawberries, rose petals, and loamy earth. The 2011 vintage, as you may remember, was a cool one across the PacNW, and this is true to vintage, offering a core of crushed-rock minerality and bright acidity. I’m not sure if I’d guess old-world or new-world if this was poured blind for me.

It’s impressive to see Alex take a vintage like 2014 and make a lovely down-the-middle Oregon Pinot, and then take a vintage like 2011 and make something with more Burgundian sensibilities. It means he’s not trying to force any house style on the wines; instead he’s using these wines as a vehicle to honestly express a snapshot in time, a single season. To be clear, though: I wouldn’t call this wine austere; there is succulent fruit richness that emerges on the mid-palate and carries through the long finish. That’s why ultimately I think I’d place this wine in the new-world, but it’s a tweener for sure, and it’s in a lovely drinking window, now six years past vintage. You could put a light chill on it and drink it during our remaining summer deck days, or just wait for autumn and all the mushroomy goodness a wine like this was born to pair with.

To order this wine, click here

Please limit order requests to 12 bottles, and we’ll do our best to fulfill all requests. The wine is in the warehouse and ready for immediate pickup or shipping during the next temperature-appropriate shipping window.
Regards,

Team Full Pull®

Ordered some of this, thanks for the link. Not sure when Full Pull will deliver tho? Also tried the Seaside and Cran was right, give it a little air and it's a very acceptable daily drinker. Thanks guys!

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 575
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 8/29/2017 10:10:37 AM   
mercurius

2012 Domaine Borgnat Bourgogne Coulanges-la-Vineuse Tête de Cuvée: While not technically Burgundy, it's Pinot Noir from just Southwest of Chablis. It was still very primary but had great structure, fine tannins, and will get much better with time. Going to seek out more Coulanges-la-Vineuse and Irancy wine. Seems to be good places if you like expensive wines from Cote de Nuits but not the price tag. My review: https://www.cellartracker.com/list.asp?Table=Notes#selected%3DW2144851_1_K7379f1a67568700ba8c3fafc7efe0c2d

(in reply to Scott W)
Post #: 576
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 8/29/2017 6:23:03 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott W

Also tried the Seaside and Cran was right, give it a little air and it's a very acceptable daily drinker. Thanks guys!

No problem. Just keeping enabler points up so I don't lose Diamond Club status.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Scott W)
Post #: 577
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 8/29/2017 11:28:40 PM   
klaus3974

quote:

ORIGINAL: mercurius

2012 Domaine Borgnat Bourgogne Coulanges-la-Vineuse Tête de Cuvée: While not technically Burgundy, it's Pinot Noir from just Southwest of Chablis. It was still very primary but had great structure, fine tannins, and will get much better with time. Going to seek out more Coulanges-la-Vineuse and Irancy wine. Seems to be good places if you like expensive wines from Cote de Nuits but not the price tag. My review: https://www.cellartracker.com/list.asp?Table=Notes#selected%3DW2144851_1_K7379f1a67568700ba8c3fafc7efe0c2d

Thanks a lot for this recommendation. I just realized that 3 or 4 times a year I pass with the car very close to this Domaine and I have never heard of them. Next time I will stop and buy a few bottles.

(in reply to mercurius)
Post #: 578
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 8/31/2017 9:03:41 AM   
BRR

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott W

quote:

quote:

quote:

While this doesn't fit the thread, necessarily, based on the OP, it's germane to the few posts immediately prior to this one. Full Pull just sent out an email for the next step-up from the AF Nichols WV Pinot Noir. It's for the 2011 A.F. Nichols Pinot Noir Principio, and it's $19.99 (down from the original $40, apparently). Just thought I'd update, even though it's not under $15. Go for it, CranBurgundy!!!

Link?

Thanks!

Ordered some of this, thanks for the link. Not sure when Full Pull will deliver tho? Also tried the Seaside and Cran was right, give it a little air and it's a very acceptable daily drinker. Thanks guys!

They'll hold your wine until you build up enough of a case (or more) and ask them to ship. I live here and pick mine up, so I don't know all the particulars.

Cheers!

(in reply to Scott W)
Post #: 579
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 9/17/2017 4:34:57 PM   
bretrooks

Um, 2016 Kirkland Signature Côtes du Rhône Villages. Really a decent little dark-fruited Rhone for $7, based on the one bottle we've tried. Going to grab a couple more at some point...if they're consistent, this should make a nice house red.

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 580
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 9/17/2017 4:42:00 PM   
Eddie

quote:

ORIGINAL: bretrooks

Um, 2016 Kirkland Signature Côtes du Rhône Villages. Really a decent little dark-fruited Rhone for $7, based on the one bottle we've tried. Going to grab a couple more at some point...if they're consistent, this should make a nice house red.

Buy a case, mix with an equivalent amount of grape juice, some 151, and invite all of the college students you know....

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 581
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 9/17/2017 4:54:07 PM   
bretrooks

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eddie

quote:

Buy a case, mix with an equivalent amount of grape juice, some 151, and invite all of the college students you know....

I do know a few college students, and I'm sure your recipe is a crowd-pleaser, but nobody's drinking anything like that under my roof

Really - if you're on a budget, enjoy red Rhones, and can get past the Kirkland Signature logo on the label, it's worth checking out...which was a little bit of a surprise to me too.

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 582
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 9/17/2017 5:25:00 PM   
Smaragd

easy: Chateau Oupia Minervois (2014) at $10... wow

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 583
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 10/25/2017 3:52:15 PM   
midpalate

'14 Jericho Canyon Napa Rose. $10 on secondary market. Pretty tasty stuff. Good follow up to last night's '12 Morey-Coffinet Bourgogne (also $10 on secondary market).

< Message edited by midpalate -- 10/25/2017 4:03:19 PM >

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 584
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 10/25/2017 6:10:09 PM   
mclancy10006

I posted this on a Friday First Pour, but it belongs here...

2015 Château Vircoulon Blanc https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=2490890
Which if you go for white Bordeaux is a screaming QPR deal at a whopping $7 when I bough it pre-arrival. It is like 9-12 now, but still a great QPR.

-Mark

(in reply to midpalate)
Post #: 585
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 10/25/2017 6:52:06 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclancy10006

2015 Château Vircoulon Blanc https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=2490890
Which if you go for white Bordeaux is a screaming QPR deal at a whopping $7 when I bough it pre-arrival. It is like 9-12 now, but still a great QPR.

-Mark

I accept your challenge. I'll track down (i.e. source) a bottle to put up against my favorite QPR white Bordeaux: Chateau Graville-Lacoste. Your entry certainly has the edge in the price department.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 586
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 10/26/2017 8:26:06 AM   
BRR

I've popped a few of the 2015 Ross Andrew 'Glaze' Cabernet Sauvignon over the last few weeks and, while it's fine, it's not nearly as good as the 2014 was. For the $15 I spent, it's so-so.

Cheers!

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 587
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 10/26/2017 9:10:50 AM   
Scott W

quote:

Yes! that Graville-Lacoste is my cheepie wine of the year for the last 2 years running Guess I need to source some of that Vircoulon...thanks!

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclancy10006

-Mark

I accept your challenge. I'll track down (i.e. source) a bottle to put up against my favorite QPR white Bordeaux: Chateau Graville-Lacoste. Your entry certainly has the edge in the price department.

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 588
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 10/26/2017 9:53:21 AM   
bretrooks

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eddie

quote:

I do know a few college students, and I'm sure your recipe is a crowd-pleaser, but nobody's drinking anything like that under my roof

Really - if you're on a budget, enjoy red Rhones, and can get past the Kirkland Signature logo on the label, it's worth checking out...which was a little bit of a surprise to me too.

We've opened a handful of these in the last month, and several have been showing more fruit-forward, but I suspect it's a phase...I still think they're well-priced for what they are and will probably be better in a year or two. In the meantime, Costco has more of the 2014 Dão Sul Dão Cabriz Colheita Seleccionada, and we've been buying more of that as an inexpensive red.

From Cost Plus World Market a few weeks back, all these would qualify:
$11 2015 William Fèvre Chablis Champs Royaux
$13 2011 Château Joanin Bécot
$15 NV Terrassous Rivesaltes Réserve Privée Hors d'Age 6 Ans

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 589
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 10/26/2017 3:14:18 PM   
PinotPhile

It's a tie:

Martin Codax Albarino, Bias Baixas, 2015, < $14
Dolia Cannonau, Sardegna DOC, 2013, < $13

Codax is a reliable producer, Dolia is a Total Wine Winery Direct. Both decent. So a white and a red.

Cheers!

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 590
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 11/5/2017 12:35:19 PM   
Eddie

2013 Cave de Roquebrun Saint-Chinian La Grange des Combes. About $13 at a Costco somewhere in Orange County California back in May, just opened it. Back up the truck if you see this one, folks. (Attn: Pinotphile)

< Message edited by Eddie -- 11/5/2017 12:50:02 PM >

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 591
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 11/6/2017 7:40:19 PM   
midpalate

2004 Monticello Vineyards Cabernet Franc (Napa, Oak Knoll district), $15 on secondary market.

Really nice juice. Rich but not over the top. Some earthiness starting to appear. Silky texture. Decent acidity. Very enjoyable.

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 592
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 11/8/2017 6:04:37 AM   
Eddie

WTSO has the Virgen del Aguila Artigazo 2007 up now (9AM EST 11-8-2017) for $14.99; I recommend this one.

< Message edited by Eddie -- 11/8/2017 6:05:13 AM >

(in reply to midpalate)
Post #: 593
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 11/8/2017 7:18:16 AM   
Anthonyiez

2013 castano solanera

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 594
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 11/8/2017 3:25:38 PM   
Bin707LoversDetroit

By far, the best REDS <$15 we recently had were (in no particular order) the following... We would eagerly serve any of these to guests:

Scheid Vineyards Odd Lot
Robert Mondavi Private Selection Bourbon Barrel Aged Cabernet
Concha y Toro Cabernet Sauvignon Serie Riberas Gran Reserva
Barossa Valley Estates Shiraz
Hess Select Cabernet
Noble Vines 337
Outlander Red Blend Paso Robles

And a nice but sweet WHITE:

Castello Del Poggio Rosé

We're sorry, were we supposed to pick only one? Oh... So sorry... Um, pour us another!

Drink Better Wine In Better Places

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 595
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 11/9/2017 7:08:37 AM   
Anthonyiez

2014 substance cabernet

(in reply to Bin707LoversDetroit)
Post #: 596
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 11/15/2017 8:34:16 AM   
BRR

Another gem from Full Pull that I just tried for the first time last night: 2012 Domaine Pouillon katydid Horse Heaven Hills (WA). This is a blend of 54% Grenache, 27% Mourvedre, and 19% Syrah, and it's fantastic. I wish I'd bought more. Here's my TN:

While inexpensive Rhone blends frequently come across as spoofed, manufactured wines (especially in domestic blends, like this one), this is all about good, pure, simple fruit. No oak detectable, and no tannin, but an easy-drinking pure red. It's very light in color and light-to-medium bodied with red fruits, a little pepper, and a round feel. Back up the truck...the QPR here in fantastic. 88

Cheers!

(in reply to Anthonyiez)
Post #: 597
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 11/24/2017 7:11:12 PM   
fingers

Two that make me wonder why I ever spend >$15 :

2015 M. Chapoutier Côtes du Roussillon Villages Les Vignes de Bila-Haut $13
2014 G.D. Vajra Langhe Rosso $14.50

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 598
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 11/24/2017 8:28:37 PM   
kkloberdanz

Columbia Crest Cabernet, Grand Estates. Great wine for the price and a great value for 9.99. Jus bought several cases on a buy one get one for 1 penny!

(in reply to Pavie Princess)
Post #: 599
RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? - 11/25/2017 7:22:50 AM   
midpalate

2012 Woodward Canyon Chardonnay (WA), $15 on secondary market.

Nice chard. Nose was reminiscent of mango lassi, with a yoghurty thing and some tropical fruit aromas. Palate had lots of bright acidity but was quite rich at the same time. Doesn't taste like Burgundy. But also doesn't just taste full-on like a big new-world chard. Good juice.

< Message edited by midpalate -- 11/25/2017 7:23:26 AM >

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 600
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Best "Under $15" Bottle You've Had Lately? Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI