CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/18/2017 11:25:42 AM   
forceberry

quote:

ORIGINAL: hankj

Wow we've come a long way from my assertion that bone dry big extracted reds are harsher than those that preserve a little residual sugar. You color me as something of a wine eugenicist at this point, as if my local wines and local wine industry, an industry that is essentially younger than I am, is some sort of naturally set thing that ought not be subject to suggestions about revision.

If you read carefully, you can see I've given alternative suggestions about revision. Your solution of just boosting the residual sugar just seems to me like putting a Band-Aid over a spot that hurts without trying to look into the underlying problem. And to me, honestly, trying to fix things by increasing RS seems like a very American solution. I really can't think of any other reason why the RS levels have crept up in American wines (I'm mainly looking at you, California) in the past years.

quote:

From a position, btw, wherein you"ve almost certainly never tasted a singe Washington wine, and I've tasted more than 1000 times over 30 years. That's like me lecturing a Finn about which pocket should house his vodka and which boot should hold his knife (oh not all Finn's, just like we all aren't declasse slobs with a sugary "American palate").

Yes I am fully aware that you have a lot more experience on WA wines than I do. However, I've had my fair share of (over-)extracted red wines to know how they taste like and how they behave. I've also said before that I haven't tasted the particular wine or wines in question, so I can't comment precisely the nuances, but I still can discuss pretty accurately based on overall experience. Although I am a strong believer in terroir, I don't believe that WA is a uniqorn wine region where the Syrah behaves unlike anywhere else in the world.

And the first comment on the American taste was something of a self-deprecating joke (hence the smiley), because there is also this thing what is generally called as the "Nordic taste". Year after year, the biggest bestsellers here are spoofed wines with high residual sugar that bear no relation to the country or region they come from. If you ask any wine-drinking (non-connoisseur) person whether they like dry or off-dry wines, no-one ever, in their right mind, would say that they love off-dry red wines. But lo and behold, still those wines dominate the markets here - and not just on Finland, but in neighboring Sweden as well - and if one such wine is put as a ringer in a blind tasting for entry-level amateurs, they'll love it. Every time. So I am well aware that not all Americans have the American palate, as not all us Nordics have that same Nordic palate. :)

However, I've still seen the preference of RS in the premium wine category in America. If you bring a wine with a price tag of, say, $50 and 10 g/l RS, nobody will buy it. But these kinds of wines sell ridiculously well there across the pond. So I guess people actually prefer their red wines a bit sweeter there in the US of A. Not everybody and not every time, but as a somewhat noticeable tendency. I'm more than happy to hear any counterarguments!

quote:

And beside RS doesn't change the perception of harshness in big, structured high alcohol reds anyway - Port is sweet simply so as to be more suitable for children.

Well, actually Port is sweet simply because that was the only way to keep the wine good back in the days. Well, sugar, high alcohol and blocking the MLF before it can start so the wines will have lower pH and thus be better protected against all kinds of faults. Why the Port wines are sweet has nothing to do with the tannins or bitterness, so using it as an example in this case is in my opinion a bit faulted.

I hope you don't understand that I'm not trying to antagonize you here. Besides the first humorous attempt of a joke, I'm not trying to comment you personally, but instead your assertions, i.e. I'm just trying to debunk unfounded or unscientific anecdotes and at the same time defend well-crafted wines against spoofing - but you seem to be just digging your own grave deeper and deeper, with more passion post by post. Argumentation for and against is much easier and more effective if you don't take everything personally.

Check my blog and join me in my search for rare and unknown grape varieties and wine styles!
My CT profile

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 151
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/18/2017 1:44:59 PM   
dbg

My favorite Syrahs are N. Rhônes. Sounds like I need to try some from the Rocks AVA. Do any of these get wide national/East Coast distribution or are they all West Coast or mailing list wines?

David G

(in reply to forceberry)
Post #: 152
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/18/2017 8:28:44 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: dbg

My favorite Syrahs are N. Rhônes. Sounds like I need to try some from the Rocks AVA. Do any of these get wide national/East Coast distribution or are they all West Coast or mailing list wines?

I think Rocks AVA Syrahs are their own style and I wouldn't directly compare them to Northern Rhonda Syrah. My guess is they are more available on the West Coadt vs East Coast do to proximity. Just search Wine-Searcher and buy accordingly. Shipping costs are reasonable especially if you aren't paying State tax. Benchmark Wine Group in Napa usually has Reynvaan Rocks AVA. Check them out. I would try some bottles of Rocks to see if you like it.

Rick

(in reply to dbg)
Post #: 153
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/18/2017 8:33:03 PM   
WineGuyCO

Hankj knows what he's talking about. To me Rocks AVA Syrah is quite unique and is not/does not act like any other Syrah anywhere around the World. So if you haven't had it you should try it so you have a frame of reference. My opinion.

Rick

(in reply to forceberry)
Post #: 154
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/19/2017 3:59:28 AM   
forceberry

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyDelMar

Hankj knows what he's talking about. To me Rocks AVA Syrah is quite unique and is not/does not act like any other Syrah anywhere around the World. So if you haven't had it you should try it so you have a frame of reference. My opinion.

Rick

Sounds definitely interesting and I promise I'll happily sample any wines I come across. The biggest problem here, of course, is finding those wines here across the pond.

I can imagine the wines can have their own distinct character there, but however, in reference to my earlier posts, the problems Hankj was addressing sounded more like problems related more to rough winemaking and overextraction than necessarily any specific qualities of Syrah. Of course I'll be happy to admit that I was wrong if I get to taste a Syrah from the Rocks and it is definitely something I've never ever tasted before.

Check my blog and join me in my search for rare and unknown grape varieties and wine styles!
My CT profile

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 155
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/20/2017 11:39:41 AM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: forceberry

quote:

Rick

Sounds definitely interesting and I promise I'll happily sample any wines I come across. The biggest problem here, of course, is finding those wines here across the pond.

I can imagine the wines can have their own distinct character there, but however, in reference to my earlier posts, the problems Hankj was addressing sounded more like problems related more to rough winemaking and overextraction than necessarily any specific qualities of Syrah. Of course I'll be happy to admit that I was wrong if I get to taste a Syrah from the Rocks and it is definitely something I've never ever tasted before.

I am specifically talking about Reynvaan In The Rocks or Stone Essence. This is my only frame of reference but it has a very pronounce rocky, metallic taste to it. I've never tasted anything like it. It has the saline, blood, meaty flavors that ARE characteristics of Northern Rhone but I do not remember Northern Rhone wines having this pronounced rocky, metallic taste. It's quite apparent. How much would it cost to ship a bottle from California to Finland?

Rick

(in reply to forceberry)
Post #: 156
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/20/2017 11:56:26 AM   
forceberry

quote:

I am specifically talking about Reynvaan In The Rocks or Stone Essence. This is my only frame of reference but it has a very pronounce rocky, metallic taste to it. I've never tasted anything like it. It has the saline, blood, meaty flavors that ARE characteristics of Northern Rhone but I do not remember Northern Rhone wines having this pronounced rocky, metallic taste. It's quite apparent. How much would it cost to ship a bottle from California to Finland?

Rick

Sounds very interesting! Metallic per se is something I haven't tasted either, but if it's more like iron, that usually translates to bloody, which is somewhat characteristic of Northern Rhône Syrah - something you'd see as "bloody or gamey notes", although there are tons of other meaty and gamey flavors in Syrah wines as well.

Rocky descriptors, in turn, guide my thoughts to "stony minerality", which is definitely something you can find in the wines of the better producers of, say, St. Joseph, Cornas or Côte-Rôtie. At least in those wines that are more about savory qualities and structure, not ripeness, concentrated fruit and new oak.

But I'd definitely love to taste the WA wines in question to see whether these are the same things at all! And on your question about shipping - probably way too much. :D I've no idea how much it would actually be, though, and I can imagine there must be some - even quite significant - differences between different delivery companies.

My CT profile

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 157
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/20/2017 12:52:39 PM   
mclancy10006

Wines from Cornas in the Rhone (100% Syrah) have this blood, stone, metallic twinge to it some times that remind me of that taste in the In The Rock syrah you are highlighting. Search tasting notes for Cornas for "iron" and you will find a bunch of wine with this listed.

(in reply to forceberry)
Post #: 158
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/20/2017 1:23:30 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclancy10006

Wines from Cornas in the Rhone (100% Syrah) have this blood, stone, metallic twinge to it some times that remind me of that taste in the In The Rock syrah you are highlighting. Search tasting notes for Cornas for "iron" and you will find a bunch of wine with this listed.

I want to try some older vintages. Is Cornas like Northern Rhone wines that need 10 plus years of again or no? What years should I be looking for? I know that's kind of a loaded questions but I prefer the less fruity more earthy flavors of more aged Syrah. Maybe the better question is how many years from vintage year do you like to drink them?

Thanks,

Rick

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 159
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/20/2017 1:57:50 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: dbg

I think Rocks AVA Syrahs are their own style and I wouldn't directly compare them to Northern Rhonda Syrah. My guess is they are more available on the West Coadt vs East Coast do to proximity. Just search Wine-Searcher and buy accordingly. Shipping costs are reasonable especially if you aren't paying State tax. Benchmark Wine Group in Napa usually has Reynvaan Rocks AVA. Check them out. I would try some bottles of Rocks to see if you like it.

Rick

A few others that get some distribution or are available direct from the winery and not restricted to mailing list club members only are:

Rotie Cellars Northern Red, after 2014 or 2015 vintage they are 100% Rocks fruit.
Proper Syrah, all rocks fruit most years.
Saviah Funk Vineyard,
Sleight of Hand Funkadelic
Maison Bleue, some newer Syrahs
Balboa, some syrahs
Rasa, some syrahs including CT barrel wine in 2014.
Delmas
Trust Cellars, some syrahs
K Vintners, Rock Garden
Buty, Rediviva of the Stones (a blend of Syrah with Cabernet Sauv)
Block Wines (Full Pull) Anklebreaker, La Rata (another blend with Cab).

I am probably missing some Rocks syrah producers besides the Big 2/3 the descended from Cayuse, Horsepower, No Girls, Hors Category (not Rocks) and Reynvaan, Result of a Crush.

I really should get paid by the W2 and Washington Wine Commissions for some of my posts.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 11/20/2017 2:21:14 PM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 160
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/20/2017 2:19:05 PM   
mclancy10006

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclancy10006

I want to try some older vintages. Is Cornas like Northern Rhone wines that need 10 plus years of again or no? What years should I be looking for? I know that's kind of a loaded questions but I prefer the less fruity more earthy flavors of more aged Syrah. Maybe the better question is how many years from vintage year do you like to drink them?

Thanks,

Rick

If you want the fruit to have settled out and get the more earth centric flavors I would say 7-10 years is a minimum for Cornas. I have had some that were in that zone at 5 years, but not many. On my better producers (like Clape) 10-15 years.
As far as vintage goes. I only own 2009 and 2015 right now. I drank down my 2006, but never bought enough of those. Somehow I missed out on 2010/2011 due to lack of planning. :) (The '06s are probably in the sweet spot now)
2011,2010,2005,2000,1999,1998, & 1990 are all solid vintages in addition to 2006/2009/2015.

Ping Yossarian as I know he loves Cornas and probably has had more vintages and producers than me. (My main love is Cote Rotie for full disclosure, but Cornas is a more affordable diversionary interest)

-Mark

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 161
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/20/2017 2:27:00 PM   
jmcmchi

For what it's worth in the comparison stakes, when I first (blind) tasted a Cayuse, I thought it a heavy Cornas

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 162
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/21/2017 10:17:37 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Sean Sullivan's list of top 30 Washington Syrahs. Lots of Rocks/Walla Walla wines, but plenty from other spots. Ones interesting to me that I haven't tried are the Columbia Gorge ones by Syncline and Savage Grace. My perennial favorite from this list that many people overlook because it is usually out of character for most Mark Ryan wines, is Lost Soul. Hard to find since it is small production, but I always try to buy a few bottles.

https://www.seattlemet.com/articles/2017/9/13/the-wine-world-is-losing-its-mind-over-washington-syrah

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 163
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/27/2017 10:34:56 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Barb and I drank 2009 Betz La Cote Rousse yesterday. My note:

quote:

90 - Ripe nose of lavender, blueberry, blackberry, asphalt/tar. Palate follows nose. Big burly Syrah. Fully integrated tannins and nice smooth wine. A bit of heat showing on the finish.

This wine tasted very similar to the recent 2011 Force Majeure III to my palate, only a bit better, maybe age, maybe a bit better integration of alcohol, maybe my mood. My take on the dryness, is that it was typical tannins and not noticeable to me until the finish. I drank this without food for first glass and dryness was very apparent, later drank with pork chops, the tannin melds well with protein and fat from the meat, and is no longer noticeable to me. That's part of what makes red wine pair well with meats, cheese, etc... I raised my score from an 89 to 90 after drinking with food and the wine had been open a while.

My take on why it doesn't taste like a "sweeter" California Syrah is that most Washington wines have a pretty different acid profile, and lack glycerin, that would create a more "full" mouthfeel. I have a half dozen California Syrahs in my cellar and I'm going to drink one this evening I think to see if this generalization has any merit.

I'll say this Betz Red Mountain Syrah seemed pretty typical of RM Syrah, and big fruit, but lacking is some of the savory, earthy components that make Syrah work best for my palate. I found it interesting to read one of the other recent notes on this same wine, which reads pretty close to my note, only more glowing in praise, and scored 94.

quote:

Dark purple in color. 14.8% ABV. Monolithic nose of blue and black fruits, charcoal, ash and molten licorice. Full bodied with big acidity. Immense, concentrated and voluptuous. Blueberry, raspberry liqueur, white pepper and barbecued meats on the palate. The finish is exceptionally long. The color and the structure on this wine belies the 8 years of bottle age. Delicious Syrah but patience will be rewarded. Drink over the next 5-7 years.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 164
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/27/2017 10:51:01 AM   
hankj

quote:

and lack glycerin, that would create a more "full" mouthfeel.

I suppose I shall continue to be "that guy" in spite of myself: glycerin varying enough to effect mouthfeel by "smoothing" wine is a myth:

http://www.newworldwinemaker.com/2010/03/glycerol-the-myth/

Here is the caveat: as long as it won't poison anyone, winemakers in the US can add whatever they want to wine and don't need to tell anyone, ever. So it is possible that most CA Syrah makers are buying kegs of glycerol from wine supply stores, and most WA Syrah makers aren't. But I very much doubt that.

The acid profile might be in play, but, without rehashing previous arguments, it's about tannin levels, probably in relation to RS.

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

Post #: 165
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/27/2017 11:19:34 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Thanks for the article, hankj. Interesting perspective but I wonder about the absolute conclusion that humans can't detect low levels of glycerin that might be natural components of fermentation. I know most compounds have very different detection thresholds depending on the tongue involved.

And, since I don't have a GC mass spec, I'll just have to rely on my tongue and mouth to help me decide whether I can taste RS, glycerin or something else.

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 166
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/27/2017 1:30:37 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

Barb and I drank 2009 Betz La Cote Rousse yesterday. My note:

quote:

90 - Ripe nose of lavender, blueberry, blackberry, asphalt/tar. Palate follows nose. Big burly Syrah. Fully integrated tannins and nice smooth wine. A bit of heat showing on the finish.

This wine tasted very similar to the recent 2011 Force Majeure III to my palate, only a bit better, maybe age, maybe a bit better integration of alcohol, maybe my mood. My take on the dryness, is that it was typical tannins and not noticeable to me until the finish. I drank this without food for first glass and dryness was very apparent, later drank with pork chops, the tannin melds well with protein and fat from the meat, and is no longer noticeable to me. That's part of what makes red wine pair well with meats, cheese, etc... I raised my score from an 89 to 90 after drinking with food and the wine had been open a while.

My take on why it doesn't taste like a "sweeter" California Syrah is that most Washington wines have a pretty different acid profile, and lack glycerin, that would create a more "full" mouthfeel. I have a half dozen California Syrahs in my cellar and I'm going to drink one this evening I think to see if this generalization has any merit.

I'll say this Betz Red Mountain Syrah seemed pretty typical of RM Syrah, and big fruit, but lacking is some of the savory, earthy components that make Syrah work best for my palate. I found it interesting to read one of the other recent notes on this same wine, which reads pretty close to my note, only more glowing in praise, and scored 94.

quote:

Dark purple in color. 14.8% ABV. Monolithic nose of blue and black fruits, charcoal, ash and molten licorice. Full bodied with big acidity. Immense, concentrated and voluptuous. Blueberry, raspberry liqueur, white pepper and barbecued meats on the palate. The finish is exceptionally long. The color and the structure on this wine belies the 8 years of bottle age. Delicious Syrah but patience will be rewarded. Drink over the next 5-7 years.

Chris,

I agree with you. To me, the Betz had way more structure to it than the Force Majeure which tasted thin and lighter in body. It did have a certain dryness to it like the Betz La Serenne but much more balanced and without being disjointed. If the Force Majuere had more extraction I think it would have been great. I just prefer this.

In the meantime..........had my first Carneros Las Madres. 2010 Quivet Las Madres Hulda Block and it was back to the typical California sytle with the super rounded fruit, very balanced, slightly sweet on the palate. So far, I just prefer this style but haven't had enough of Washington Syrah yet so I'm still making my way through some more names. The Quivet was great and a wine I would seek out. I have some 2013 that I haven't tried yet but I expect them to be very good also. I will give the 2013 more time as it was pretty big per Quivet notes.

Rick

Post #: 167
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/27/2017 2:07:46 PM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

Thanks for the article, hankj. Interesting perspective but I wonder about the absolute conclusion that humans can't detect low levels of glycerin that might be natural components of fermentation. I know most compounds have very different detection thresholds depending on the tongue involved.

And, since I don't have a GC mass spec, I'll just have to rely on my tongue and mouth to help me decide whether I can taste RS, glycerin or something else.

Agree with you here Chris - "humans can't detect at threshold" always perks up my skepticism too. How good is the research on the subject? But I think in this case the article is probably right.

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

Post #: 168
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/28/2017 7:49:16 AM   
BRR

I'm telling you, WineGuyDelMar, I'd really try and seek out a Syrah from K Vintners, avoiding their Rocks AVA wines. I think they're fairly Californian in style, and think you'd really like them. I'd go for K Vintners 'The Hidden' (from Northridge Vineyard in the Wahluke Slope).

Cheers!

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 169
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/28/2017 9:25:36 AM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: BRR

I'm telling you, WineGuyDelMar, I'd really try and seek out a Syrah from K Vintners, avoiding their Rocks AVA wines. I think they're fairly Californian in style, and think you'd really like them. I'd go for K Vintners 'The Hidden' (from Northridge Vineyard in the Wahluke Slope).

BRR...............I have some 2014 K Vintners The Beautiful. I was thinking it was too young to open but I'm going to try one this weekend. If I wait and really like it the wine won't be available in a couple years. If I like it I will be able to buy more of it now. I will let you know. Thanks,

Rick

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 170
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 12/6/2017 11:48:16 AM   
WineGuyCO

Two more recent California Syrah's to comment on:

2013 Myriad Las Madres Ester Block- Not my style. Super sweet, fruit bomb Syrah. Quivet Las Madres Hulda is much better. This was only one bottle though so probably can't rule out Myriad Syrahs at this point.

2012 Pax Griffins Lair Syrah- Now we're talking. Short 1 1/2 decant. 14.1% alcohol but no heat at all. Tasted a lot like a Northern Rhone wine with lots of tobacco, charcoal, meat, blood, umami and a dry finish like some of the Washington Syrah's Chris and Hankj have been talking about. Nose was sweet but taste was dry. Have never experienced that in a California Syrah. It wasn't too dry but I really liked the wine and want to buy more of it. It will be much better in a few years.

Both of these wines I left notes on in CT. The Pax I was impressed. If you can find a bottle I would check it out.

Rick

< Message edited by WineGuyDelMar -- 12/6/2017 11:49:10 AM >

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 171
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 12/6/2017 11:55:50 AM   
oskiwawa

Had a bottle of the 2010 Pax Griffins Lair last weekend. It too was drinking really nice at this time.

quote:

Two more recent California Syrah's to comment on:

2013 Myriad Las Madres Ester Block- Not my style. Super sweet, fruit bomb Syrah. Quivet Las Madres Hulda is much better. This was only one bottle though so probably can't rule out Myriad Syrahs at this point.

2012 Pax Griffins Lair Syrah- Now we're talking. Short 1 1/2 decant. 14.1% alcohol but no heat at all. Tasted a lot like a Northern Rhone wine with lots of tobacco, charcoal, meat, blood, umami and a dry finish like some of the Washington Syrah's Chris and Hankj have been talking about. Nose was sweet but taste was dry. Have never experienced that in a California Syrah. It wasn't too dry but I really liked the wine and want to buy more of it. It will be much better in a few years.

Both of these wines I left notes on in CT. The Pax I was impressed. If you can find a bottle I would check it out.

Rick

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 172
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 12/6/2017 12:12:25 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: oskiwawa

Had a bottle of the 2010 Pax Griffins Lair last weekend. It too was drinking really nice at this time.

I may try to find some older vintages of Pax Syrah now. I REALLY enjoyed the style. Two more years of bottle age on the 2010 must make it really good. I think even 2007, 2008 and 2009 will still be worth finding. K&L usually has it.

Rick

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 173
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 12/6/2017 12:26:09 PM   
dontime

Bought a lot of vintage Pax from Benchmark a couple of years ago and found the older stuff (early 2000s) to be in a great drinking place.

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 174
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 12/9/2017 3:01:30 PM   
WineGuyCO

BRR was right...Back to Washington State tonight with 2014 K Vintners The Beautiful. It's young so opened 3 1/2 hours ago. First impressions are great. Kind of reminds me of the 2012 Pax Griffin Lairs Syrah we just had. Nose is sweet Syrah but the finish is dry but perfect. Not overly dry. Even at 14.5% alcohol it's not hot and it's integrated nicely. Nice extraction but not tons of layering of flavors like say an Alban or Araujo but very good. This is one I would buy again. Initial score is 91 but won't drink for 3 more hours.

Going down with Chicago Pizza ala Lou Malnatis or Giordano's. Syrah is just perfect with sausage pizza. I think I'm going to crack a 2012 Reynvaan The Unamed Syrah tomorrow for another attempt at Rocks AVA.

Rick

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 175
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 12/11/2017 8:58:29 AM   
BRR

Nice, WGDM. I saw your TN on the Reynvaan as well. To me, they're a truly unique producer with a truly unique style: lighter in appearance and body than most WA Syrah (and CA, for that matter), but the concentration and complexity really delivers.

Cheers!

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 176
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 12/11/2017 9:25:46 AM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: BRR

Nice, WGDM. I saw your TN on the Reynvaan as well. To me, they're a truly unique producer with a truly unique style: lighter in appearance and body than most WA Syrah (and CA, for that matter), but the concentration and complexity really delivers.

BRR......I decanted the 2012 Reynvaan Unnamed for 4 hours. It has the earthy notes which are fine and didn't have the metallic, rocky, stoney taste that the first In The Rocks had that really dominated the flavor. I finally found the Syrah in the wine LOL. My wife guessed Syrah right off the bat. The balance was amazing and overall just a great bottle. I'm on board with Washington Syrah's now.

Yes, the Reynvaan is much lighter in color and more Northern Rhone style. I was wondering of there was something wrong with me (That we know) Maybe the first In The Rocks was just an anomaly. We'll find out because I have more. The K Vintners was outstanding also. Going forward I will have both Washington and California in my cellar.

Rick

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 177
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI