CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Top 5 Grapes and Why

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Top 5 Grapes and Why Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Top 5 Grapes and Why - 10/12/2017 2:28:46 PM   
barolo300

For me:

1) Cabernet Sauvignon - in the end no grape gives the combination of structure, complexity and power as well as cab. My fave example: Monte Bello
2) Riesling - just the most enjoyable drink. It is refreshing, versatile, ages well, expresses terroir. My fave example: JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr or Grracher Himmelreich
3) Nebbiolo - nuance, verve, longevity, site specific! My fave: Sh*t, it depends on the day.
4) Pinot Noir - very unique, capricious, alluring, able to create madness in man. My fave so far: corton clos des corton
5) Tempranillo - (fought it out with sangiovese and chardonnay) It defines a country full of wine, creates many styles and expressions, terroir specific, very enjoyable. My fave: gosh darn it’s hard to choose... la Rioja Alta 904, i think

Barolo and Burgs, Claret and Cali, Priorat and Prum... yum! https://hookandfordwines.com/
Post #: 1
RE: Top 5 Grapes and Why - 10/12/2017 2:41:47 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

1. Syrah - Just simply love it in all, or most all, forms. I think it fits my mouth best.
2. Cab/Merlot/Cab Franc - I'm cheating, but these are very similar and in so many blends together, I hedged it. Just what I traditionally think of first when I think red wine.
3. Gewurztraminer - Close with Riesling for top white, but edged it out since I drank some still fermenting in my family room this morning.
4. Pinot Noir - Admittedly I like the bolder forms, but when I find one in my wheelhouse, they are delicious and finessed. High polish level.
5. Sangiovese - From BdM to a simple table top house wine, another one that just fits my palate.

Not entirely uncoincidentally we chose to plant 3 of these 5, and God gave us one other (Sangio) because he loves us.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to barolo300)
Post #: 2
RE: Top 5 Grapes and Why - 10/12/2017 2:44:40 PM   
CranBurgundy

1) Pinot Noir - because Burgundy. Need I say more?
2) Riesling - because it can be bone dry to succulently sweet and still be fun to drink. Oh, and it keeps my wife happy. Maybe I should move it to number one for that reason alone.
3) Touriga / Tinta (all of the different varieties that go into Vintage Port) - because Port. Again, no need to say more.
4) Chenin Blanc - specifically Vouvray, for the same reasoning about residual sugar as Riesling, except my wife doesn't like it nearly as much.
5) to be determined by my mood on that day. Could be Grenache because of Rivesaltes, or Cabernet Sauvignon because of California, or Merlot because of Right Bank Bordeaux, or .....

< Message edited by CranBurgundy -- 10/12/2017 3:07:29 PM >

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to barolo300)
Post #: 3
RE: Top 5 Grapes and Why - 10/12/2017 2:45:51 PM   
DoubleD1969

Monte Bello includes Merlot, Cab Franc, and/or Petit Verdot if I am not mistaken.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 4
RE: Top 5 Grapes and Why - 10/12/2017 2:52:07 PM   
barolo300

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

Monte Bello includes Merlot, Cab Franc, and/or Petit Verdot if I am not mistaken.

Yes it does and so do probably all of my favourite ‘cabinet’ examples. I was trying to cheat but now i’ve been caught, my first favourite grape is actually 4 different grapes put together :)

Loving the other answers so far

Barolo and Burgs, Claret and Cali, Priorat and Prum... yum! https://hookandfordwines.com/

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 5
RE: Top 5 Grapes and Why - 10/12/2017 3:05:35 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: barolo300

my first favourite grape is actually 4 different grapes put together :)

No worries. My 3rd is actually 2 different Tourigas (Nacional and Franca) and 3 different Tintas (Roriz, Barroca, and Amarela) all found in the Malvedos vineyard.

EDIT because I can't count.

< Message edited by CranBurgundy -- 10/12/2017 8:35:02 PM >

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to barolo300)
Post #: 6
RE: Top 5 Grapes and Why - 10/12/2017 3:39:58 PM   
musedir

Syrah
Cabernet
Chardonnay
Pinor Noir
Sangiovese

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 7
RE: Top 5 Grapes and Why - 10/12/2017 4:22:09 PM   
fingers

Based on my CT consumption:

9.9% - Syrah. Much like Chris, I find so many iterations from all over the world that can suit my taste. As long as it doesn’t burn layers off my esophagus.
9.5% - Cabernet. Ubiquitous and plentiful. I think it was in my baby bottle.
7.9% - Chardonnay. Wouldn’t make the top 5 if not for bubbly
6.7% - Pinot Noir. Like matrimony, a lot of them don’t work out but when it does, nothing’s better.
6.5% - Sauvignon Blanc. Good SB is key to life - in my house anyway, since it’s the wife’s favorite. And there’s enough variety between France, US, NZ to keep my interest.

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 8
RE: Top 5 Grapes and Why - 10/12/2017 4:55:48 PM   
khmark7

Yeah....mostly due to the variety of styles

Cabernet Franc
Grenache
Syrah
Pinot Noir
Gamay/Zinfandel/Sauvignon Blanc/Furmint

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 9
RE: Top 5 Grapes and Why - 10/12/2017 6:03:05 PM   
BornToRhone

Top 5 Grapes

1 - Black Concorde - I was raised on this sh$t
2 - Green Niagra
3 - Catawba
4 - Flame Seedless
5 - Tudor Premium Red

Top 5 wine varieties:

1 - Chardonnay
2 - Pinot Noir
3 - Nebbiolo (newly into this so could change)
4 - Sangiovese (Brunello)
5 - Cabernet (blends)

< Message edited by BornToRhone -- 10/12/2017 7:38:03 PM >

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 10
RE: Top 5 Grapes and Why - 10/12/2017 6:19:56 PM   
AfleetAlex

Riesling
Semillion
Merlot
Malbec
Pinot Noir

I have to put the sweet grapes at the top, because I haven't found a volume of reliable wines in the other categories.

Trying to amass a dope wine collection to leave to Child #1, 2 and 3, while drinking a little along the way.

(in reply to barolo300)
Post #: 11
RE: Top 5 Grapes and Why - 10/12/2017 6:35:07 PM   
WineGuyCO

1. Cabernet Sauvignon- No explanation needed.
2. Syrah- Amazing grape with so many nuances and grown all over.
3. Pinot Noir- Burgundy & so much more.
4. Sangiovese- Brunello, Super Tuscan The major grape of Italy.
5. Tie- Nebbiolo/Corvina Barolo, Amarone need I say more?

Rick

(in reply to barolo300)
Post #: 12
RE: Top 5 Grapes and Why - 10/12/2017 7:07:16 PM   
S1

1. Pinot Noir--seriously? Burgundy AND Champagne (+Oregon, Calif, Sancerre, Germany, Switzerland, NZ...) Nothing else is close.
2. Chardonnay--seriously? Burgundy AND Champagne...
3. Nebbiolo (3rd because it only really works in one spot.
4. Riesling--So many fabulous styles in Germany alone, and that doesn't even include Alsace, Austria, and Australia
5. Cabernet Sauvignon (drycab)
and Chenin...
and Syrah...

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to barolo300)
Post #: 13
RE: Top 5 Grapes and Why - 10/12/2017 11:29:08 PM   
peeks13

1. Barolo
2. Brunello
3. Bordeaux
4. Burgundy
5. Barbaresco

So I guess nebbiolo. sangiovese, cab, merlot and pinot.

Why? How can you argue with the 5 Bs? I am trying to get into more whites, though.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 14
RE: Top 5 Grapes and Why - 10/12/2017 11:40:06 PM   
ob2s

Mosel Riesling
Rheingau Riesling
Alsace Riesling
Franken Riesling
Wachau Riesling

Due to existence of Riesling.

German Wine ? see GermanWines.us | water nourishes the body, wine nourishes the soul

(in reply to peeks13)
Post #: 15
RE: Top 5 Grapes and Why - 10/12/2017 11:40:30 PM   
forceberry

I'm now halfway through my project of going through Jancis Robinson's Wine Grapes counting the varieties I've tasted. I've now gone through varieties through A to O, P to Z are still left. Currently I've tasted close to 250 different varieties, and I must say that the more you taste them, the less clear-cut your favorite becomes.

Off the top of my head I can always throw my reliable favorites:
1. Pinot Noir
2. Nebbiolo
3. Riesling
4. Cabernet Franc (mainly from Loire)
5. Gamay

But if I look at the varieties that have the highest scores from me in CT (and of which I've tasted at least 10 different wines, so the score is not just from one great but obscure wine), the list is quite different:
1. Ramisco (avg. 92,1 pts.) and Timorasso (avg. 92,1 pts.)
2. Assyrtiko (91,3 pts.)
3. Pinot Blanc (90,6 pts.)
4. Nebbiolo (90,3 pts.) and Verdicchio (90,3 pts.)
5. Cabernet Franc (90,2 pts.)

And I must say that there are tons of grape varieties that could easily top many of the world-famous international varieties with their versatility and sheer greatness. Here's a small selection of stunning grape varieties that I often prefer to the international varieties and which I'd light to highlight:
Aglianico (incredibly long-lived, serious and complex red wines; capable of producing wines either from the tannic and concentrated end, and from the more delicate and poised end)
Grk (the weighty, serious and complex white grape from Croatia that at its best produces wines not unlike the best Viogniers of Northern Rhône)
Juhfark (stunningly mineral and vibrant white wines that are not unlike dry Chenin Blancs of Loire - can retain low alcohol and high acidity, yet attain incredible levels of ripeness and sense of concentration)
Morenillo (Pinot Noir of Catalonia; complex, crunchy, delicate and fragrant red wines)
Plavac Mali (tastes like Zinfandel, but with incredible acidity and tannic structure, capable of aging for decades)
Saperavi (the description of Aglianico fits this variety perfectly as well; slowly starting to get the attention it deserves)
Savagnin (the Chenin Blanc counterpart of Jura; tons of acidity, minerality and incredible precision)
Timorasso (the wines taste like a combination of Riesling and Viognier; they have the high acidity and minerality of Riesling, yet the concentration and oily mouthfeel of Viognier)
Xinomavro (the best wines are pretty indistinguishable from the greatest Nebbiolo wines)

Check my blog and join me in my search for rare and unknown grape varieties and wine styles!
My CT profile

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 16
RE: Top 5 Grapes and Why - 10/12/2017 11:52:29 PM   
peeks13

quote:

ORIGINAL: forceberry

I'm now halfway through my project of going through Jancis Robinson's Wine Grapes counting the varieties I've tasted. I've now gone through varieties through A to O, P to Z are still left. Currently I've tasted close to 250 different varieties, and I must say that the more you taste them, the less clear-cut your favorite becomes.

Off the top of my head I can always throw my reliable favorites:
1. Pinot Noir
2. Nebbiolo
3. Riesling
4. Cabernet Franc (mainly from Loire)
5. Gamay

But if I look at the varieties that have the highest scores from me in CT (and of which I've tasted at least 10 different wines, so the score is not just from one great but obscure wine), the list is quite different:
1. Ramisco (avg. 92,1 pts.) and Timorasso (avg. 92,1 pts.)
2. Assyrtiko (91,3 pts.)
3. Pinot Blanc (90,6 pts.)
4. Nebbiolo (90,3 pts.) and Verdicchio (90,3 pts.)
5. Cabernet Franc (90,2 pts.)

And I must say that there are tons of grape varieties that could easily top many of the world-famous international varieties with their versatility and sheer greatness. Here's a small selection of stunning grape varieties that I often prefer to the international varieties and which I'd light to highlight:
Aglianico (incredibly long-lived, serious and complex red wines; capable of producing wines either from the tannic and concentrated end, and from the more delicate and poised end)
Grk (the weighty, serious and complex white grape from Croatia that at its best produces wines not unlike the best Viogniers of Northern Rhône)
Juhfark (stunningly mineral and vibrant white wines that are not unlike dry Chenin Blancs of Loire - can retain low alcohol and high acidity, yet attain incredible levels of ripeness and sense of concentration)
Morenillo (Pinot Noir of Catalonia; complex, crunchy, delicate and fragrant red wines)
Plavac Mali (tastes like Zinfandel, but with incredible acidity and tannic structure, capable of aging for decades)
Saperavi (the description of Aglianico fits this variety perfectly as well; slowly starting to get the attention it deserves)
Savagnin (the Chenin Blanc counterpart of Jura; tons of acidity, minerality and incredible precision)
Timorasso (the wines taste like a combination of Riesling and Viognier; they have the high acidity and minerality of Riesling, yet the concentration and oily mouthfeel of Viognier)
Xinomavro (the best wines are pretty indistinguishable from the greatest Nebbiolo wines)

I would love to try some of these but doubt I could ever find them.

(in reply to forceberry)
Post #: 17
RE: Top 5 Grapes and Why - 10/13/2017 12:04:01 AM   
forceberry

quote:

ORIGINAL: peeks13

I would love to try some of these but doubt I could ever find them.

That's what I thought, but just by being and keeping your eyes peeled in the right places can help you a lot.

After all, I live in a country that has a backwards alcohol state monopoly that tries to actively keep the availability of interesting wines close to zero, at least most of the time. Practically all wines available here are either boring plonk with exaggerated prices or then Parkerized fruit bombs drenched in excessive oak. Yet I've managed to taste hundreds and hundreds of interesting wines.

Check my blog and join me in my search for rare and unknown grape varieties and wine styles!
My CT profile

(in reply to peeks13)
Post #: 18
RE: Top 5 Grapes and Why - 10/13/2017 3:05:51 AM   
Yossarian

Pinot Noir - because Burgundy
Nebbiolo - because Barolo/Barbaresco
Syrah - because nothern rhone
Chardonnary - because Burgundy
Caqb Franc - because Chinon

New April 2021 Mix Here

(in reply to barolo300)
Post #: 19
RE: Top 5 Grapes and Why - 10/13/2017 3:28:21 AM   
khmark7

peeks13 - many of the grapes mentioned by Foreberry are available in Illinois, and i have tried almost all on his additional list at the bottom of the original post. Ideally the current legislation in Illinois will overturn the 2011 nonsense that doesn't allow us to purchase wine from out of state so i can more easily purchase wines that are unavailable here.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 20
RE: Top 5 Grapes and Why - 10/13/2017 6:47:01 AM   
sawtooth

1) Corvina: Best bottle of wine I've ever had was an Amarone. Whether it's the grape or the drying, it's awesome.
2) Syrah: You can turn this stuff into almost anything. Chave.
3) Tempranillo: Middling examples are middling but the very best are breath-taking. 2nd best bottle I've ever had was Tempranillo
4) Cabernet: Most of what I end up drinking. Rarely fail to give pleasure but not often other-worldy.
5) Gamay: Refreshing. Great food wine. Usually inexpensive. Pleases most crowds.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 21
RE: Top 5 Grapes and Why - 10/13/2017 7:19:47 AM   
rlp805

Pinot Noir - This is the wine that started me down the rabbit hole and still a favorite.
Grenache -
Tempranillo - This represents a palate shift for me, I've really been getting into it lately
Syrah -
Sangiovese - What else would you drink while making an Italian meal?
Riesling - Either dry or sweet just good stuff.
Roussane - The Alban version is still one the best whites I have tried

My favorite is probably a GSM blend, take the handcuffs off the winemaker and let them make magic by mixing.

-Richard

(in reply to sawtooth)
Post #: 22
RE: Top 5 Grapes and Why - 10/13/2017 7:24:50 AM   
musedir

quote:

ORIGINAL: ob2s

Mosel Riesling
Rheingau Riesling
Alsace Riesling
Franken Riesling
Wachau Riesling

Due to existence of Riesling.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 23
RE: Top 5 Grapes and Why - 10/13/2017 7:58:35 AM   
pclin

Pinot Noir
Merlot
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Franc
Syrah
Riesling

< Message edited by pclin -- 10/13/2017 7:59:26 AM >

Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 24
RE: Top 5 Grapes and Why - 10/13/2017 8:36:44 AM   
BRR

Cabernet Sauvignon - because it tastes good
Pinot Noir - because it tastes good
Merlot - because it tastes good
Viognier / Roussanne (tie) - because they taste good
Syrah - because it tastes good

Cheers!

(in reply to pclin)
Post #: 25
RE: Top 5 Grapes and Why - 10/13/2017 8:37:54 AM   
DoubleD1969

Sorry pinot fans, but I have yet to have an out of body experience with the varietal.

1) Syrah - lots of great examples from multiple continents; I give it a slight edge over my second favorite
2) Cabernet - hard to beat a 25-year Paulliac or from an old school CA producer like Heitz and Diamond Creek
3) Chardonnay - so many different styles to match the food, the mood, or the occasion
4) Grenache - one producer can make believers out of non-believers to this varietal
5) Nebbiolo - tough to pick the last, but after having a 1958 Franco Fiorina Barolo, my life has never been the same

(in reply to pclin)
Post #: 26
RE: Top 5 Grapes and Why - 10/13/2017 8:57:10 AM   
mclancy10006

For me it is either 4 or 7.

1. Syrah - because nothern rhone and WA
2. Cabernet - because of Bordeaux and CA
3. Pinot Noir - because Burgundy
4. Chardonnay - because Burgundy

5. Nebbiolo - because Barolo/Barbaresco / Torigua Nacional because of port / Grenache because of CdP

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 27
RE: Top 5 Grapes and Why - 10/13/2017 9:00:10 AM   
barolo300

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclancy10006

For me it is either 4 or 7.

1. Syrah - because nothern rhone and WA
2. Cabernet - because of Bordeaux and CA
3. Pinot Noir - because Burgundy
4. Chardonnay - because Burgundy

5. Nebbiolo - because Barolo/Barbaresco / Torigua Nacional because of port / Grenache because of CdP

Make the pick! We've all got a 7 in us...

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 28
RE: Top 5 Grapes and Why - 10/13/2017 9:16:58 AM   
mclancy10006

The kind of were in order so Neb gets the spot, but the delta between 5/6/7 is tiny where as 1-4 have some distance.

< Message edited by mclancy10006 -- 10/13/2017 9:17:14 AM >

(in reply to barolo300)
Post #: 29
RE: Top 5 Grapes and Why - 10/13/2017 11:34:29 AM   
RedRedMoreRed

1. Cabernet Sauvignon - Old World
2. Cabernet Sauvignon - New World
3. Syrah/Shiraz
4. Sangiovese
5. Merlot

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy ~ Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Top 5 Grapes and Why Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI