CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Time for another Hartford Ct Offline ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Time for another Hartford Ct Offline ? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Time for another Hartford Ct Offline ? - 1/15/2018 1:53:00 PM   
Wineguy55

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

Was just down the cellar trying to decide on a Riesling. There are several singles from '71, '75, '83, and '90, most notable being JJ Prüm Auslese - a 1983 Wehlener Sonnenuhr and a 1990 Graacher Himmelreich. Might be time to have a "last puppy" streak starting now and running to the Central Florida offline.

I trust your best judgement as you are the riesling expert.

I just spoke with the manager over at J Gilbert's and confirmed we are 7 people for 7 pm. He also agreed to $12 per bottle corkage fee. I might try to get to the restaurant a bit early as they had an intriguing happy hour deal of $3 lobster claws until 6:30. If I do get there early I will get here at 6. Anyone else interested let me know. Looking forward to another great event next week and enjoying some great vino.

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 31
RE: Time for another Hartford Ct Offline ? - 1/15/2018 6:11:37 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wineguy55

I trust your best judgement as you are the riesling expert.

I'm a Riesling expert in the same way a chubby kid is an expert on chocolate brownies.

quote:

they had an intriguing happy hour deal of $3 lobster claws until 6:30.

Ooooo, that might call for a half-bottle of Ch. Suiduraut.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 32
RE: Time for another Hartford Ct Offline ? - 1/16/2018 5:32:54 PM   
racerchris

On Sunday I looked at Uber prices with my laptop. My house to Gilberts is estimated $20-28.
I downloaded the Uber app today.
How far in advance do I need to request a ride?

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

Post #: 33
RE: Time for another Hartford Ct Offline ? - 1/16/2018 8:53:23 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: racerchris

On Sunday I looked at Uber prices with my laptop. My house to Gilberts is estimated $20-28.

You got me, but that's not a bad idea for the hotel-to-steakhouse and steakhouse-to-hotel trips for us.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 34
RE: Time for another Hartford Ct Offline ? - 1/17/2018 11:22:36 PM   
Wineguy55

quote:

I don't know for around here but I used uber in Boston a few times. Both times I requested it they were there in about 10-15 minutes. Since I am sure there are plenty of uber drivers in the greater Hartford area I wouldn't think they need too much notice. When you do summon them they give you an eta and you can track the drivers progress arriving on a map on your phone.

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 35
RE: Time for another Hartford Ct Offline ? - 1/18/2018 2:29:43 AM   
Wineguy55

Ok we have a few final additions to our attendance. My friend John from my weekly wineguys group and his wife Gina will be joining us. John will be imbibing but his wife will be not be so they are bringing one bottle. It will likely be a nice Brunello or Barolo. Me and him are discussing it as we speak. I will call the restaurant. and adjust the reservation. Looking forward to another great event.

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 36
RE: Time for another Hartford Ct Offline ? - 1/21/2018 8:26:32 PM   
CranBurgundy

Riesling decision made. The cork pushed in to the bottle, but Windy got me a handy contraption that worked perfectly!

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 37
RE: Time for another Hartford Ct Offline ? - 1/22/2018 6:22:10 AM   
racerchris

Decanted for 2 hours this morning. Refilled bottle stored at 55F for the day.
If the aroma is any indication...

See everybody at 7.

Chris Foley
stainlesswineracks.com

Post #: 38
RE: Time for another Hartford Ct Offline ? - 1/22/2018 11:16:23 AM   
Wineguy55

Ok it looks like Joe is bringing a 2000 Langoa Barton, and John is bringing either a 2006 or 2007 Casanova de Neri Tenuta Nuova Brunello. Looks like we have a great line up. I will also bring a bottle of bubbly. See everyone tonight at 7

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 39
RE: Time for another Hartford Ct Offline ? - 1/22/2018 1:05:16 PM   
CranBurgundy

I'm not so sure about the old Prüm, so I brought along a back-up bottle of mere 10 year old Prüm. Always a good idea to have a plan B when popping open old bottles bought at auction.

I'm not so sure about that new MACDONALD either, so I brought a back-up bottle of 11 year old Châteauneuf du Pape. ( ) You guys know how much a roll of the dice these Johnny-Come-Lately domestic Cabs can be. ( )

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 40
RE: Time for another Hartford Ct Offline ? - 1/22/2018 8:05:39 PM   
CranBurgundy

What an excellent line-up tonight!

I don't know if there would be a consensus wine of the night because everything was great.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Post #: 41
RE: Time for another Hartford Ct Offline ? - 1/22/2018 8:26:31 PM   
racerchris

Best wine of the night and my favorite wine of the night are two different bottles, and not ones I brought this time.

Chris Foley
stainlesswineracks.com

Post #: 42
RE: Time for another Hartford Ct Offline ? - 1/22/2018 8:58:17 PM   
racerchris

quote:

I don't know if there would be a consensus wine of the night because everything was great.

I think it's safe to say all the wine delivered on all expectations.
The '83 Prum was the best Reisling I've had.
The Maybach was ready to go on first pour, while the Macdonald, served a little colder, took a little time to open up.
The three Bordeaux were each fine representatives of their house style and pedigree.
To me the Peby Faugeres hit the most high notes of the Bordeaux. Hard to believe it's all Merlot.
The Langoa Barton was somewhat backward on opening, but turned into a prince of a wine after a bit of air.
Both of these 2000s have lots of life ahead of them.
The Calon-Segur lived up to my hopes. As expected, it's not as focused as the Cabs but clearly has potential to be as good as the two (nearly) mature Bordeaux in time.
I thought the Casanova Brunello was more interesting than other, older Brunellos I've had in the past. Very hard to place in a hierarchy with the other wines tonight. It held it's own against any of the Bordeaux for sure.

Chris Foley
stainlesswineracks.com

Post #: 43
RE: Time for another Hartford Ct Offline ? - 1/23/2018 4:37:36 AM   
Wineguy55

quote:

quote:

The Maybach was ready to go on first pour, while the Macdonald, served a little colder, took a little time to open up.
The three Bordeaux were each fine representatives of their house style and pedigree.
To me the Peby Faugeres hit the most high notes of the Bordeaux. Hard to believe it's all Merlot.
The Langoa Barton was somewhat backward on opening, but turned into a prince of a wine after a bit of air.
Both of these 2000s have lots of life ahead of them.
The Calon-Segur lived up to my hopes. As expected, it's not as focused as the Cabs but clearly has potential to be as good as the two (nearly) mature Bordeaux in time.
I thought the Casanova Brunello was more interesting than other, older Brunellos I've had in the past. Very hard to place in a hierarchy with the other wines tonight. It held it's own against any of the Bordeaux for sure.

What no mention of the lowly Krug Grand Cuvee MV ? I guess it didn't get as much attention as the big reds as we opened it a little later. Both of the half bottles were singing beautifully and showed a little less of the typical oxidative style I usually see. Although both the MacDonald and Materium were very young they showed off their pedigree beautifully and weren't overly tannic. Both of course will tame down and improve further. I agree with Chris and Dennis that it would be hard to pick a WOTN there were so many stars. Although our usual standards are high I think we may have outdone ourselves this time. BTW I think the PF is mostly Merlot with a little bit of cab franc if my research is correct. This was for me the wine that changed the most over the course of the evening. Over several hours it really opened up and I suspect it may be better with even a few more hours of air but we will never know as it was too good not to devour. Thank you to everyone for their VERY generous contributions which make these events happen. Till next time...

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 44
RE: Time for another Hartford Ct Offline ? - 1/23/2018 6:01:46 AM   
racerchris

quote:

What no mention of the lowly Krug Grand Cuvee MV ?

I was honestly troubled last night writing my post and having nothing to say about the champagne.
Since we were already drinking red wine by the time the appetizers arrived I didn't pay that much attention to the Krug other than taking a few sips.

Thanks again Jonathan for organizing these. I hope you weren't too hard on the restaurant staff over the bill. I gave Gina what she calculated was the right amount but would have gladly paid a little more based on level of enjoyment. I thought Kelly did a good job for us.

< Message edited by racerchris -- 1/23/2018 6:05:14 AM >

Chris Foley
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 45
RE: Time for another Hartford Ct Offline ? - 1/23/2018 6:08:09 AM   
racerchris

quote:

BTW I think the PF is mostly Merlot with a little bit of cab franc if my research is correct. ...

One tasting note on CT says it's 100% Merlot. I have no other data.
Either way it was an outstanding wine.

Chris Foley
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 46
RE: Time for another Hartford Ct Offline ? - 1/23/2018 6:13:22 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

Absolutely - and then some!

quote:

Glad we could share our last bottle with everyone!

'83 is one of our favorite years. We believe, while a respected vintage, it's highly underrated. Same thing with 2007.

quote:

Funny - I thought the opposite about the Maybach. By the end of the night, it's boldness had settled down to where I enjoyed it much more than at first. Agreed on the MacDonald; once it warmed up to just below room temp it really showed it's layers.

quote:

The Calon-Segur lived up to my hopes.

It was great to try another young Bordeaux from '14. Tad's contribution was the most resolved, and was silky smooth and really deep & dark by the end of the night. Joe's bottle was pretty damn good too.

quote:

What no mention of the lowly Krug Grand Cuvee MV ?

Windy rarely goes for a second glass of champagne, but she was digging that.

quote:

Till next time...

We'll have to decide what theme. Tad & I chatted about that 2009 domestic Cab tasting. He mentioned he has one he'd be happy to contribute.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 47
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Time for another Hartford Ct Offline ? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI