CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/9/2017 7:13:25 AM   
crispino

Welcome!

This is the Reveal Day thread for the Bad Santas. If you see your name below, this is your group! I have listed everyone by their forum username in alphabetical order.

The Bad Santas: (updated through Post #118)
Name__________-__________Wine Received__________-__________From
1. bdlsmo - 2015 Limerick Lane 1023 - S1
2. ChrisinSunnyside - 2005 Bernard Faurie Hermitage - MindMuse
3. cookiefiend - 2015 Domaine Huet Vouvray Moelleux 1ère Trie Clos du Bourg - mtpisgah
4. Endodr - 2012 Hunt McKay Cabernet Sauvignon Morisoli Vineyards - bdlsmo
5. ericindc - 2013 Rivers-Marie Cabernet Sauvignon Corona Vineyard - Exit 105
6. Exit 105 - 2010 Lisini Brunello di Montalcino Ugolaia - River Rat
7. markandsusanw - 2013 Rasa Vineyards Syrah Doctrina Perpetua "Simone de Beauvoir" Block 5 Bacchus Vineyard - cookiefiend
8. MindMuse - 2013 Emidio Pepe Trebbiano d'Abruzzo - nyccablover
9. mtpisgah - 1995 Fattoria di Fèlsina Berardenga Chianti Classico Riserva - ericindc
10. musedir - 2010 Antinori Tignanello Toscana IGT - smahk
11. nyccablover - 2003 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée - Rackit
12. oskiwawa - 2013 Rasa Vineyards Mourvedre Vox Populi - musedir
13. Rackit - 2010 Bedrock Wine Co. Cabernet Sauvignon Bedrock Vineyard and 2006 Fattoria di Fèlsina Berardenga Chianti Classico Riserva Rancia - markandsusanw
14. River Rat - 2014 Drinkward Peschon Cabernet Sauvignon Entre Deux Mères and 1997 Ravenswood Pickberry - Scott W
15. S1 - 2012 La Rata Wines La Rata and 2016 Goat Rocks Winery Syrah Goat Rocks Vineyard - ChrisinSunnyside
16. Scott W - 2013 Domaine Drouhin-Laroze Gevrey-Chambertin and 2013 Quivet Cellars Syrah Hulda Block Las Madres Vineyard - yogi8938
17. smahk - 2015 Carter Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Fortuna Vineyard - Endodr
18. vinopkm - 1989 Château Guiraud - oskiwawa
19. yogi8938 - 2009 Domaine Pierre Usseglio & Fils Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée de mon Aïeul - vinopkm

This first post will serve as the master list for this group, so refer back to it often! After each person’s name I will post what wine he/she received, once it’s been revealed. Whenever someone correctly guesses their Santa, I will put a strikethrough line through the Santa’s name, like so. So, if a name is crossed out on the list above, then that person has already been identified as someone’s Santa. We’ll keep goin’ until everyone’s been identified!

I know not everyone plays the guessing game with the same level of gusto, and that is fine. However, everyone should, at a minimum, do the following:

- Post what you received
- Say thank you!
- Make at least a guess or two, if you are so moved (although you should feel free to take some time to sleuth about first)
- If you decide to drink your wine right away, feel free to post a tasting note and/or story
- Have fun!
- Important: if someone guesses you as their Santa, please post whether or not they’re right. This means that even if you are not following the thread very closely, you should at least check in periodically and scan the posts to see if someone’s guessed you. As Head Elf, I reserve the right to post your answer for you if enough time goes by and you are just leaving somebody hanging. I doubt I will have to do this, but just be aware that a minimum amount of participation from everyone is needed to keep the game moving along and fun for all.

Don’t forget that you can ask your Santa for a hint if you are stuck! Santas can also provide a hint if they like, although you may want to wait until your recipient specifically asks, so as not to spoil it for someone who likes a challenge. Mysterious statements cloaked in subterfuge are always a source of amusement...

One last note: the posts move fast and furious in this event, especially at the beginning when everyone is revealing their wines and starting to make guesses. So, at least for the time being, we ask that you please post only in your own group’s thread - it helps keep the traffic at a manageable level. Feel free to follow both threads, of course! Depending on the amount of traffic, we may relax this rule – I mean, I like fun banter as much as the next guy.

That’s it! So, without further ado, start ripping open them packages and tell us what you got! Have fun and Happy Secret Santa to all!

- Chris (crispino)

< Message edited by crispino -- 12/14/2017 5:08:53 AM >

CT Secret Santa Compendium
CT Santa Profile
Post #: 1
RE: Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/9/2017 7:26:12 AM   
River Rat

Would it be mean of me to start the leaf blower or the lawn mower or maybe an air compressor outside the kids bedroom window? Only a Bad Santa would do such a thing. Tee hee.

(in reply to crispino)
Post #: 2
RE: Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/9/2017 7:28:06 AM   
Hollowine

They are kids. Walk in, grab it, walk out. They should be happy you don't throw a can of frozen orange juice under the warm sheets in the process...

(in reply to River Rat)
Post #: 3
RE: Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/9/2017 7:29:03 AM   
dontime

Tom's a bad Santa.

Should have stopped that cold front...

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to River Rat)
Post #: 4
RE: Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/9/2017 7:44:12 AM   
Endodr

[image][/image]

I opened, no rather, destroyed the shipping box, to find a bottle of 2012 Hunt McKay Morisoli Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon. No other clues at all, just the box and the wine. The shipping label comes from Secret Santa in Charlotte, NC.

Thanks Santa! What a wonderful gift. I love Napa Cabernet and I know nothing about Hunt McKay wines. This will be fun to drink. I always enjoy trying new wines, especially those from smaller producers.

As for the sleuthing, this will be challenging as there are no clues to go on, other than the NC shipping label (and this may be a deception).

Thanks again Santa!

(in reply to crispino)
Post #: 5
RE: Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/9/2017 7:44:47 AM   
musedir

OK... originating from Raeders Services in Albertson, NY, I declare a 2010 Tignanello Super Tuscan by Antinori.

Quite a thoughtful gift from someone who knows I have an extreme fondness for wines from Tuscany. Sangiovese grapes produce such excellent wines and none better than those grown in Tuscany. The label is printed entirely in Italian which makes me believe that this bottle came home from a vineyard visit. Plus a very nice note sent by separate post with accompanying scores from professional tasters. Plus on the top of the lift out lid of te mailer was a small hand-written note wishing me a vintage 2018.

By perusing the cellar of the one person I know lives on Long Island, i was not surprised to see that there are 4 other bottles of the same wine, same vintage. Smahk, are you my Secret Santa?

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to crispino)
Post #: 6
RE: Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/9/2017 7:48:21 AM   
musedir

quote:

ORIGINAL: dontime

Tom's a bad Santa.

Should have stopped that cold front...

Guilty as charged!

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 7
RE: Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/9/2017 7:50:45 AM   
dontime

quote:

ORIGINAL: Endodr

[image][/image]

As for the sleuthing, this will be challenging as there are no clues to go on, other than the NC shipping label (and this is a deception).

Thanks again Santa!

FIFY (and I'll stop HEIC)

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to Endodr)
Post #: 8
RE: Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/9/2017 7:56:55 AM   
oskiwawa

Opened the box and found a very nice SS poem and a bottle of 2013 Rasa Vineyards Mourvedre Vox Populi. In keeping with tradition we will cook a meal around this wine and enjoy it tonight. Really thrilled to try a Rasa Mourvedre as I have not had one before. Thank you SS. Going to take a stab and opportunity for a real coincidence. Yesterday I PM'd Musedir and told him how much I liked his new art piece. A short artistic poem and a bottle of Rasa wine leads me to ask, Musedir are you my SS ?

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 9
RE: Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/9/2017 8:10:59 AM   
musedir

Jeez Kevin, I fell like an old tree. Yup, it was a pleasure to add to your few bottles of Rasa and I noticed this was not in your holdings.

Also, I thought it mighty coincidental that we re-connected yesterday after a few years since our last wine dinner together in Dallas. I was a pleasure to be your Secret Santa. Hope your dinner is a success.

Tom

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 10
RE: Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/9/2017 8:16:46 AM   
oskiwawa

Woohoo !!! Record time for me with a lucky stab. Now I get to sit back and watch the fun of others suffering.. Musedir, thank you very much for the gift. I am really looking forward to enjoying this one.
quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

Jeez Kevin, I fell like an old tree. Yup, it was a pleasure to add to your few bottles of Rasa and I noticed this was not in your holdings.

Also, I thought it mighty coincidental that we re-connected yesterday after a few years since our last wine dinner together in Dallas. I was a pleasure to be your Secret Santa. Hope your dinner is a success.

Tom

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 11
RE: Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/9/2017 8:22:13 AM   
Hollowine

Nearly 90 min in, and three reveals.

Dude (collectively), do you even like wine?

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 12
RE: Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/9/2017 8:29:29 AM   
River Rat

And you call me a Bad Santa. Not according to my CTSS. I must have done something good this year to warrant this haul. Both of the wines I have wanted to try but never have. Great selections Santa! You did your homework.

As for the sleuthing my Santa left me a note that kind of gave away their identity. I’ll keep quiet for now as to not pull a name off the list for others out there to choose from. Just like a Devious Little Bad Santa should.

(in reply to River Rat)
Post #: 13
RE: Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/9/2017 8:29:43 AM   
bdlsmo

My wine came directly from the winery, Limerick Lane. After checking Santa’s Cellar I guessed a bottle of 2015 Limerick Lane 1023 might be in the box. Reveal Day confirmed my suspicions. Well I am delighted! I love trying new producers and this Zin/Syrah blend is definitely in my wheelhouse. Only 16 barrels produced, this must have come from someone’s allotment. Checking the group for Limerick Lane, I come upon River Rat with two bottles. Makes me wonder, someone with 2 bottles of a small producer like LL. My guess is River Rat. I hope I’m right, last year I was second to last finding my SS.

(in reply to crispino)
Post #: 14
RE: Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/9/2017 8:36:06 AM   
River Rat

quote:

ORIGINAL: bdlsmo

My wine came directly from the winery, Limerick Lane. After checking Santa’s Cellar I guessed a bottle of 2015 Limerick Lane 1023 might be in the box. Reveal Day confirmed my suspicions. Well I am delighted! I love trying new producers and this Zin/Syrah blend is definitely in my wheelhouse. Only 16 barrels produced, this must have come from someone’s allotment. Checking the group for Limerick Lane, I come upon River Rat with two bottles. Makes me wonder, someone with 2 bottles of a small producer like LL. My guess is River Rat. I hope I’m right, last year I was second to last finding my SS.

You were my SS last year now weren’t you. Alas you are not bucking the trend on picking your Santa correctly as it twas not I who sent you that fine bottle of Limerick Lane. Nice try though, I would hve guessed me as well.

(in reply to bdlsmo)
Post #: 15
RE: Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/9/2017 8:38:50 AM   
bdlsmo

Drat, back to the drawing board.

Yes, I had you last year. This year who knows?

< Message edited by bdlsmo -- 12/9/2017 8:42:35 AM >

(in reply to River Rat)
Post #: 16
RE: Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/9/2017 9:03:56 AM   
smahk

Outed!! I make it too easy to be discovered and I am usually one of the last to guess correctly.

I did see you enjoyed super tuscans but did not have many in your cellar and not any of the Tig.

Antinori is one of my favorite producers in Italy and the Tignanello the first super tuscan I ever tasted.

A small group of CTer's trekked through tuscany a few years ago and enjoyed seeing the new winery in Bargino, but really enjoyed our private tasting and lunch at the Badia di Passignano.

At a Zachy's wine auction a few years ago I had the pleasure of sitting with members of the Antinori family who auctioned off every vintage of Tignanello produced from 1997 to 2010 (not produced in 2002 because the harvest was poor) - that's why so many bottles are in my cellar. I should have made it private after the secret santa selection.

I hope you enjoy this super tuscan as much as I do!

Cin! Cin!

Cin Cin!

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 17
RE: Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/9/2017 9:09:20 AM   
Exit 105

My SS was very thoughtful and recognized my love of Brunello sending a Lisini Ugolaia from the exceptional 2010 vintage. No real hints and professionally shipped from CA. I'll go with geography and guess if Vinopkm is my awesome SS?

(in reply to bdlsmo)
Post #: 18
RE: Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/9/2017 9:18:41 AM   
smahk

Thank you Secret Santa!!

First - my SS told my I was on the "good" list this year - so how I ended up on the Bad list I'm not sure...

My SS spent a bit of time perusing my notes and cellar and found my big omission - no wines by Mike Smith.

My SS bottle is......2015 Carter Cellars Fortuna - JUST PERFECT!!

Now I know my SS said to give this a bit of time....but perhaps SS meant give it a bit of time in the decanter....

Off To sleuth......

Cin Cin!

(in reply to smahk)
Post #: 19
RE: Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/9/2017 9:41:26 AM   
Wine Gopher

Santa left a bottle of the nectar of Vermont (Maple Syrup) and the nectar of the Gods (2013 Domaine Jamet Cote Rotie). I'm a total sucker for Cote Rotie so this is very exciting.

(in reply to Exit 105)
Post #: 20
RE: Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/9/2017 9:46:06 AM   
oskiwawa

Wine Gopher, wrong thread. Your a Good Santa this year

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wine Gopher

Santa left a bottle of the nectar of Vermont (Maple Syrup) and the nectar of the Gods (2013 Domaine Jamet Cote Rotie). I'm a total sucker for Cote Rotie so this is very exciting.

(in reply to Wine Gopher)
Post #: 21
RE: Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/9/2017 9:47:23 AM   
River Rat

quote:

ORIGINAL: oskiwawa

quote:

Shoo!

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 22
RE: Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/9/2017 9:49:04 AM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: River Rat

quote:

quote:

Shoo!

Maybe he's trying to illustrate what you would get if all y'all were GOOD...

(in reply to River Rat)
Post #: 23
RE: Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/9/2017 9:52:23 AM   
smahk

Alright....I have looked at everyone's cellar (except markandsusanw - "explicitly no access!") and have deduced...

River Rat - are you my very thoughtful SS? I see you have Carter in your cellar and in your note indicated it was a wine you enjoy.....

Cin Cin!

(in reply to smahk)
Post #: 24
RE: Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/9/2017 10:06:21 AM   
Scott W

Oh boy my secret santa is the best! 2 count em 2 bottles of wine that are in my wheelhouse Big thanks! as for who you are I am thinking the packing tape gave it away (stalking on the internet "kids don't do this at home" My SS is the Rat i'm thinking?? seems to me I read somewhere he is in the tool/hardware business? Now let me see if I can get a picture to work...

Good lord biggest picture ever! Fixed

< Message edited by Scott W -- 12/9/2017 1:51:00 PM >

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

(in reply to smahk)
Post #: 25
RE: Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/9/2017 10:09:13 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott W

Oh boy my secret santa is the best! 2 count em 2 bottles of wine that are in my wheelhouse Big thanks!

Oh my Gawd, are they 12L Balthazars? They're HUGE!

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Scott W)
Post #: 26
RE: Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/9/2017 10:11:49 AM   
musedir

quote:

ORIGINAL: smahk

Outed!! I make it too easy to be discovered and I am usually one of the last to guess correctly.

I did see you enjoyed super tuscans but did not have many in your cellar and not any of the Tig.

Antinori is one of my favorite producers in Italy and the Tignanello the first super tuscan I ever tasted.

A small group of CTer's trekked through tuscany a few years ago and enjoyed seeing the new winery in Bargino, but really enjoyed our private tasting and lunch at the Badia di Passignano.

At a Zachy's wine auction a few years ago I had the pleasure of sitting with members of the Antinori family who auctioned off every vintage of Tignanello produced from 1997 to 2010 (not produced in 2002 because the harvest was poor) - that's why so many bottles are in my cellar. I should have made it private after the secret santa selection.

I hope you enjoy this super tuscan as much as I do!

Cin! Cin!

Thank you, again, for this thoughtful gift. Best wishes for the holidays.

Tom

(in reply to smahk)
Post #: 27
RE: Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/9/2017 10:13:05 AM   
ericindc

My awesome secret santa sent me a 2013 Rivers-Marie Corona Vineyard Oakville Cabernet Sauvignon and a 2014 homemade cab/cab franc blend. Fantastic! I've never had a Rivers-Marie, and I'll looking forward to finding out more about the homemade wine once I sleuth out my secret santa.

Guess #1. Smahk, as I think there is a good amount of Cab franc on Long Island, and they were being stealthy by sending it from NJ

ok, someone outed Smahk as I was writing this so Guess No 2: nyccablover

< Message edited by ericindc -- 12/9/2017 10:16:36 AM >

-Eric
Just waiting for my Grand Cru to age.

(in reply to smahk)
Post #: 28
RE: Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/9/2017 10:16:38 AM   
Scott W

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott W

Oh boy my secret santa is the best! 2 count em 2 bottles of wine that are in my wheelhouse Big thanks!

Oh my Gawd, are they 12L Balthazars? They're HUGE!

yeah not real good at this internet thing

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 29
RE: Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! - 12/9/2017 10:25:16 AM   
Wine Gopher

quote:

quote:

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Secret Santa 2017 Reveal Thread - BAD Santas! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI