CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/9/2017 2:31:48 PM   
dontime

Thanks. That's two less bad guesses for me.

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to RockinCabs)
Post #: 61
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/9/2017 3:22:47 PM   
RockinCabs

My Santa went to good lengths to their identity, but the signature line of Idioteque Chorusix was the clue that i needed.

Idioteque I recognized as an Radiohead song from my College year after thinking it over for a few moments. I was a fan of The Bends, but OK Computer was a signature album for me in high school. However Kid A was a relative disappointment for me, and by then other groups had started dominating my attention. Long story short I had to look up song via Youtube.

The chorus of this song? "Ice Age Coming, Ice Age Coming, Let me hear both sides"

IzeAgeComing, I presume you are my Secret Santa?

(in reply to RockinCabs)
Post #: 62
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/9/2017 3:23:47 PM   
Wine Gopher

quote:

ORIGINAL: RockinCabs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wine Gopher

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

Wine Gopher needs to come over here!

quote:

Santa left a bottle of the nectar of Vermont (Maple Syrup) and the nectar of the Gods (2013 Domaine Jamet Cote Rotie). I'm a total sucker for Cote Rotie so this is very exciting.

Thanks. That was a pretty bad user error. I guess I shouldn't trying posting and sleuthing with a 3 year old running around screaming.

RockinCabs, are you my SS?

Correct! When choosing your gift I was contemplating if giving a second bottle of something already in your cellar was a good idea. Then CranBurgundy chimed in noting that another bottle of a particularly great wine would be welcomed.

Check in on the Jamet when you feel the time is right, and you now have a second bullet to fire when it is mature.

Merry Christmas!

It is a good call and a very nice gift. I've never had Jamet so I bought the first one to sample the style and this affords the opportunity to allow one to age and the other to drink earlier. I mean when experimenting, isn't it always better to have two tests?

(in reply to RockinCabs)
Post #: 63
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/9/2017 3:27:48 PM   
Jack667

quote:

ORIGINAL: dontime

And Santa took some time to make my gift meaningful.

I'm just making my way through the thread now. [more on that later]
But - I have to take a pause from reading through all the posts to say that this is a very cool idea and a great thought. Cheers to that SS. That's impressive!
Jack

CT review 1 of my fav wines: "like a balance that's achieved with every voice shouting at equal volume"
That's not just my taste profile, it’s a life choice!
My Wine

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 64
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/9/2017 3:35:58 PM   
Jack667

quote:

ORIGINAL: mgriffith

I am going to go ahead and get egg on my face for being wrong and get it over with.

Backed on shipping location, known travel plans, and a couple of other factors I will ask, Jack667 - are you my Santa?

Hey Malcolm! I'm sorry to say that I am not your Secret Santa. Keep guessing! :)

CT review 1 of my fav wines: "like a balance that's achieved with every voice shouting at equal volume"
My Wine

(in reply to mgriffith)
Post #: 65
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/9/2017 3:36:42 PM   
CranBurgundy

Jack, don't forget to declare the wine you received so the HEIC can note it in the first post of this thread.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Jack667)
Post #: 66
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/9/2017 3:49:42 PM   
skifree

quote:

ORIGINAL: mwest

Thank you Santa for a very lovely and generous gift of:

2012 Vieux Chateau Certan

Wow! That jumped off the list at me. Perhaps you should buy a few lottery tickets today as well.

PM me if you want to see Neal Martin's and/or Jancis Robinson's notes on the wine.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to mwest)
Post #: 67
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/9/2017 3:57:19 PM   
Jack667

Hey! Glad to be taking a nice break today and enjoying reveal day, even if it's a bit late for me.

I was in NC all week, and had planned to fly back to ATL at 8am yesterday. My flight was canceled Thursday evening and I was re-booked on a 1230pm flight, just a few hours later than planned, still for Friday / yesterday. I got to the airport at about 10am and I was there for about 11 hours, getting delayed, on/off the plane 3 times, until they finally had to give up and I had to scramble for another re-book and a hotel for the night. I got home around 11am today and totally forgot about reveal day, after that epic ordeal.

Fast fwd to dinner time. TW is out getting her hair done (no rain, nor sleet, nor snow will interfere with that), so I cooked a dad's dinner for my 3 young boys. Basically 4 strip steaks on the grill. No starch, no veg. Who need that, plus not much laying around the house. Thinking about a wine to pair, I was in the cellar and grabbed a 2013 CT / Smig special, and was about to walk out when I remembered about reveal day!

I made a pact with myself that I'd drink the gift wine immediately, as long as it wasn't a case of infanticide. I never do this, but I really wanted to take that approach this year. Thankfully, I received a great wine, not just on it's own, but ready enough to drink and a good match for the steak.

I was generously gifted a bottle of Reynvaan - The Unnamed! I popped-n-poured it right away and it's really great!! Thanks for my Secret Santa for that great thought. I've been working on getting outside of Napa for bigger domestic wines and this is perfect.

My wife is still out, but she'll get a chuckle out of the name of this wine - the Unnamed. My middle son had a crush on a girl at school last year - while he was in 6th grade. He wouldn't tell us who she was, and only would refer to her in our presence as 'The unnamed'. I wish he was old enough to try some (maybe he will - he's napping now after a 3-hour snow football game in a neighbors yard), but I'll certainly have my wife enjoy some. She doesn't drink much red wine at all, but she enjoys some good stuff once in a while and I know she'll love this.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

And - to add to the extreme length of this post, I'm also going to hazard my first guess...
Strangely (?), the box came with some paper clips packed inside. hmmm... That's certainly odd... Anyway - the shipping info says it comes from Minneapolis and now that I know the wine and do some additional checking... There's so much Reynvaan in this Minneapolis resident's cellar that
I have to guess if my Secret Santa is Wine Gopher

< Message edited by Jack667 -- 12/9/2017 3:59:41 PM >

My Wine

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 68
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/9/2017 3:58:56 PM   
mgriffith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jack667

quote:

ORIGINAL: mgriffith

I am going to go ahead and get egg on my face for being wrong and get it over with.

Backed on shipping location, known travel plans, and a couple of other factors I will ask, Jack667 - are you my Santa?

Hey Malcolm! I'm sorry to say that I am not your Secret Santa. Keep guessing! :)

Dagnabbit!

(in reply to Jack667)
Post #: 69
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/9/2017 4:16:14 PM   
Wine Gopher

quote:

Hey! Glad to be taking a nice break today and enjoying reveal day, even if it's a bit late for me.

I was in NC all week, and had planned to fly back to ATL at 8am yesterday. My flight was canceled Thursday evening and I was re-booked on a 1230pm flight, just a few hours later than planned, still for Friday / yesterday. I got to the airport at about 10am and I was there for about 11 hours, getting delayed, on/off the plane 3 times, until they finally had to give up and I had to scramble for another re-book and a hotel for the night. I got home around 11am today and totally forgot about reveal day, after that epic ordeal.

Fast fwd to dinner time. TW is out getting her hair done (no rain, nor sleet, nor snow will interfere with that), so I cooked a dad's dinner for my 3 young boys. Basically 4 strip steaks on the grill. No starch, no veg. Who need that, plus not much laying around the house. Thinking about a wine to pair, I was in the cellar and grabbed a 2013 CT / Smig special, and was about to walk out when I remembered about reveal day!

I made a pact with myself that I'd drink the gift wine immediately, as long as it wasn't a case of infanticide. I never do this, but I really wanted to take that approach this year. Thankfully, I received a great wine, not just on it's own, but ready enough to drink and a good match for the steak.

I was generously gifted a bottle of Reynvaan - The Unnamed! I popped-n-poured it right away and it's really great!! Thanks for my Secret Santa for that great thought. I've been working on getting outside of Napa for bigger domestic wines and this is perfect.

My wife is still out, but she'll get a chuckle out of the name of this wine - the Unnamed. My middle son had a crush on a girl at school last year - while he was in 6th grade. He wouldn't tell us who she was, and only would refer to her in our presence as 'The unnamed'. I wish he was old enough to try some (maybe he will - he's napping now after a 3-hour snow football game in a neighbors yard), but I'll certainly have my wife enjoy some. She doesn't drink much red wine at all, but she enjoys some good stuff once in a while and I know she'll love this.

And - to add to the extreme length of this post, I'm also going to hazard my first guess...
Strangely (?), the box came with some paper clips packed inside. hmmm... That's certainly odd... Anyway - the shipping info says it comes from Minneapolis and now that I know the wine and do some additional checking... There's so much Reynvaan in this Minneapolis resident's cellar that

Nailed it . I saw that you liked Syrah and had dabbled with WW but I thought you maybe you needed more of a gateway to the Rocks.

(in reply to Jack667)
Post #: 70
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/9/2017 6:16:35 PM   
Hollowine

Hey Cranburgundy,

Just opened last years '98 Jadot at a Christmas party with some CT buddies and Santa. Lovely! Thanks so much!

(in reply to Wine Gopher)
Post #: 71
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/9/2017 6:17:57 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

Hey Cranburgundy,

Just opened last years '98 Jadot at a Christmas party with some CT buddies and Santa. Lovely! Thanks so much!

You're quite welcome! '96 and '98 were pretty good vintages for Jadot.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 72
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/9/2017 7:21:27 PM   
Jack667

quote:

quote:

Nailed it . I saw that you liked Syrah and had dabbled with WW but I thought you maybe you needed more of a gateway to the Rocks.

Thanks again - you nailed it - great choice. Thanks again for the generous gift!

My Wine

(in reply to Wine Gopher)
Post #: 73
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/9/2017 7:52:00 PM   
jrockman

I have yet to hear back on my first guess, but I have done some more sleuthing and I have my 2nd choice ready to go if wrong on the first.

(in reply to Jack667)
Post #: 74
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/9/2017 7:58:09 PM   
dontime

Gonna bite again. Jack667 - are you my SS?

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 75
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/9/2017 9:44:55 PM   
Slye

i am a bit stumped. From what I can tell no one in the good (or bad) santa's owns the lovely Delas Hermitage I received.
Many (including me) have it pending from Garagiste (a nice surprise -- I get to try one now to see if my original instinct on purchasing was well founded, or if it was me yet again succumbing to Rimmerman's flowery and over the top descriptions!)

This one came from Wine.com, so it is not a Garagiste sourced wine -- unless an old box was used, but the receipt inside is pretty clearly from Wine.com.

There is only one clue that I could discern which is the use of the word "sez" for "says" in Your SS sez: Have a very Merry Xmas. Musedir uses the word "sez" a lot in his discussion posts -- Cookie does a little as well. Neither are in the good santas.

So I have to assume someone who is active and knowledgeable on the board, and who knows my love for syrah, and my desire to increase my knowledge of the Rhone versions.

So, a somewhat wild guess, but Hollowine are you my secret santa?

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 76
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 5:01:08 AM   
musedir

(Sneaking into the enemy camp to see what other stamped fools do after ripping open that little brown box. I know the instructions SEZ to keep to your own but I cant read too well.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 77
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 5:42:14 AM   
mc2 wines

Ok - first bad guess completed. Time for number 2. Can always take the brute force approach - there aren't as many of us this year.

Slye - it seems you recently had a Mouvedre from Rotie Cellars although not the one we got. You you perchance be our SS?

Friends don't let friends wine alone

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 78
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 6:01:34 AM   
Slye

I applaud your effort MC2 wines. You are correct that I did enjoy enormously a Mouverdre from Rotie recently (and have generally become a great fan of their wines).

HOWEVER, I am afraid that I not your SS this year. So sorry! Good luck hunting. I am also a bit stumped...... waiting for my last guess to get shot down so I can move on to another possibility.

< Message edited by Slye -- 12/10/2017 6:02:08 AM >

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 79
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 6:12:52 AM   
crispino

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy
I might be barking up the wrong tree with my conspiracy theory, but since it isn't one of the Fantastic 4 I have to figure it's another regular who would be most likely to be in on the game. Of the Good Santas, I would think mclancy10006, mc2 wines, and crispino are the probables.

Given that, my second guess is crispino - Chris, are you my CT SS?

Good Morning Mr. Cran -- uhhh, or perhaps Mr. Burgundy?

I should have jumped in on the wild craze to change one's location to Philly / South Joizey, but alas I missed the boat on that. I am slacking on my shenaniganiness.

In any case, while I would have enjoyed sleuthing and picking out a fine bottle to send you, on the question of whether or not I'm your Santa, survey sez: Nope.

Keep guessing!

- Chris

CT Secret Santa Compendium
CT Santa Profile

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 80
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 6:29:58 AM   
crispino

Look at what I got!

I am psyched to have this! Thanks so much to my Santa! To be honest, I'm still pretty much a newbie at wine appreciation, but one trend I've certainly noticed is that I seem to be a sucker for all things Tuscan, so this is going to be great. Plus the tasting notes seem to indicate that this will be a perfect wine to enjoy with a big home-cooked dinner, which is my usual tradition for enjoying my SS wine. With all my comings and goings yesterday it didn't happen, but I'm hoping to bust this out next weekend. Really looking forward to it! Thanks again! This is much appreciated.

Now as to who my Santa is...

There was no note or anything in the box, but the return address was from one Kris Kringle, BUT located not at the North Pole but in Milton, GA.

I see that one Jack667 seems to have recently changed his address to the North Pole - a switcheroo, perhaps? And if memory serves (and it may not) I believe his usual location is in fact the same Milton, GA. So I'm going to take a swing and guess him.

Jack - are you my Santa? CONFESS.

- Chris

CT Secret Santa Compendium
CT Santa Profile

(in reply to crispino)
Post #: 81
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 6:51:46 AM   
mc2 wines

The sleuthing continues! So there's a few folks in here where the names don't connect to cellars and/or cellars are not viewable so I am leaving those to the side. And there are some others where the note we received would seem to indicate they are not the person. In the note our SS mentioned having had Rotie in the past if not this specific one. There is one person in here who has some Rotie in the cellar. mqvn - are you our secret santa?

(in reply to crispino)
Post #: 82
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 7:02:42 AM   
Jack667

quote:

ORIGINAL: dontime

Gonna bite again. Jack667 - are you my SS?

Sorry, no. It's a good thing guess are free, huh? :)

My Wine

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 83
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 7:06:12 AM   
Jack667

quote:

ORIGINAL: crispino

Look at what I got!

I am psyched to have this! Thanks so much to my Santa! To be honest, I'm still pretty much a newbie at wine appreciation, but one trend I've certainly noticed is that I seem to be a sucker for all things Tuscan, so this is going to be great. Plus the tasting notes seem to indicate that this will be a perfect wine to enjoy with a big home-cooked dinner, which is my usual tradition for enjoying my SS wine. With all my comings and goings yesterday it didn't happen, but I'm hoping to bust this out next weekend. Really looking forward to it! Thanks again! This is much appreciated.

Now as to who my Santa is...

There was no note or anything in the box, but the return address was from one Kris Kringle, BUT located not at the North Pole but in Milton, GA.

I see that one Jack667 seems to have recently changed his address to the North Pole - a switcheroo, perhaps? And if memory serves (and it may not) I believe his usual location is in fact the same Milton, GA. So I'm going to take a swing and guess him.

Jack - are you my Santa? CONFESS.

- Chris

Yes, Chris, I am your Secret Santa! I saw in your request that you wanted something that you could enjoy right away, so I thought this would be a great fit. I hope you enjoy it! I need to do a thorough cellar inventory, but I believe it's the last of 6 that I procured long ago, and I enjoyed every one of them. Cheers!
{I guess I'll switch my location back. So much for obfuscation!]

My Wine

(in reply to crispino)
Post #: 84
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 7:36:04 AM   
Franklin 10

Well, there’s a paucity of clues about who my generous SS is. The calls on my interest in older wines and my interest in Diamond Creek show that that someone was quite thoughtful (and right in target!).

Regarding the Progeny Winery gifts: Smahk has some in the cellar but is a Bad Santa this year so scratch that one.

MC2 and Cranburgundy discussed Cran’s auction purchase of a 2007 some time back. Mr. Burgundy is not recording his wines on his eponymous CT page so that’s no help.

MC2 doesn’t have the 2013 CS Reserve in his cellar (yet?) but has older vintages of that plus the 2013 Trinity. Also, he’s mentioned his appreciation for the owner (Paul) and love of the wines (including leaving the moratorium to purchase the ‘08 vintage).

So here’s my guess: MC2, are you my 2017 Secret Santa?

the Empirate

"Jim Harrison, northern Michigan's favorite son and food lover, once told me, 'One of the main causes of premature death is fretting about your diet.' He then topped up my glass of wine."
-abra berens

(in reply to Jack667)
Post #: 85
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 7:44:22 AM   
ern1

Okay, damn yesterday wore me out.
Sooooo....when giving Crispino my registration information I always use my parents address in case the wine comes via UPS as they are retired and 99 out of 100 times are home when UPS delivers. My personal "off site" if you will 😀. So imagine their surprise on The evening of Nov 19th when Leah Smith showed up on their front porch carrying a signed bottle of Myriad Cab to deliver. Now, my parents are in their 70s and 80s respectively so I was surprised they even opened their door after 6. But hey even they threw personal security out the window when they saw the stranger carrying a bottle of wine. How dangerous could a wine toter be anyways? Well after a brief discussion they ironed things out and Leah was on her way.
Well once again, being the elderly folk they are, my parents have not quite grasped the whole SS, online, giving/getting gifts for complete strangers all over the country thing so Mom calls me all frantic telling me if a complete stranger calls I should answer. As she said, "somebody paid to have this lady flown in to hand deliver your wine". I'm in the middle of baking one chicken and smoking another and have no idea what the hell Mom is yammering on about. I figured this was it,Mom had finally lost it. Well just then call waiting beeps in and the caller ID says Leah Smith. Of course I answer and she introduces herself as the wife of winemaker Mike Smith and she is en route with a gift. Well needless to say she arrived a few minutes later with our gift. We had a brief conversation. Our three year old informed Leah that Santa lives at the North Pole and then Leah was on her way. She and her daughter were in town for an event at the Omaha Wine Company.....so no my SS did not pay round trip airfare for Leah to deliver the wine 😂 God bless my parents!
I was caught so off guard I didn't even think to snap a picture with Leah.
I have never had a Mike Smith wine but am certainly aware of his many different labels and am excited to try it!
I have obviously known what my wine is for several weeks but did not start sleuthing till late last night, I play by the rules ya know. Leah admitted my SS was a client of theirs and one held in high regard. So I'm looking for somebody with a serious stash of Mike's wines. Mr Dontime's cellar is private.....hmmmmm. I do notice though, Don,that you speak highly and often of Mike Smith and his wines and also notice you are a volume purchaser!

So Dontime might you be my SS?

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 86
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 8:03:55 AM   
IzeAgeComing

quote:

ORIGINAL: RockinCabs

My Santa went to good lengths to their identity, but the signature line of Idioteque Chorusix was the clue that i needed.

Idioteque I recognized as an Radiohead song from my College year after thinking it over for a few moments. I was a fan of The Bends, but OK Computer was a signature album for me in high school. However Kid A was a relative disappointment for me, and by then other groups had started dominating my attention. Long story short I had to look up song via Youtube.

The chorus of this song? "Ice Age Coming, Ice Age Coming, Let me hear both sides"

IzeAgeComing, I presume you are my Secret Santa?

I am indeed your Santa! Thought it was a really cool find with some history so hopefully it's in a good place and is an interesting bottle. Couldn't resist getting myself a bottle as well. Here's a few notes from Chambers St:

"Before founding Clos Saron in the late 90s, Gideon Beinstock took his first steps in winemaking at Renaissance Vineyards in the Sierra Foothills. The same vineyards that he helped plant in the 1970s, in the 1990s yielded very classic, structured but elegant wines with great aging potential. Twenty years later, and with Clos Saron established as a front-runner of the New California wave, Gideon was able to reclaim some of the Renaissance wines of the 90s, and release them under his new label, Taken From Granite. These wines were resting undisturbed in the Renaissance cellars for the past 20 years. The 1997 Cabernet is in a beautiful spot right now, with the nose showing a core of dark fruit, cassis, blackberries and plums. There is a hint of sous-bois, dried violets, cedar, hay and a whiff of scattered pine needles on a craggy cliff side. The palate is very alive, with still-firm tannins and very fresh acidity. Red currants and raspberries intermingle with black fruit. The finish carries a slight menthol quality, along with more cedar and tobacco. Big, yet harmonious, this wine drinking beautifully now, but I wouldn't hesitate holding onto it for a further decade or more."

(in reply to RockinCabs)
Post #: 87
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 8:35:30 AM   
dontime

quote:

ORIGINAL: ern1

Okay, damn yesterday wore me out.
Sooooo....when giving Crispino my registration information I always use my parents address in case the wine comes via UPS as they are retired and 99 out of 100 times are home when UPS delivers. My personal "off site" if you will 😀. So imagine their surprise on The evening of Nov 19th when Leah Smith showed up on their front porch carrying a signed bottle of Myriad Cab to deliver. Now, my parents are in their 70s and 80s respectively so I was surprised they even opened their door after 6. But hey even they threw personal security out the window when they saw the stranger carrying a bottle of wine. How dangerous could a wine toter be anyways? Well after a brief discussion they ironed things out and Leah was on her way.
Well once again, being the elderly folk they are, my parents have not quite grasped the whole SS, online, giving/getting gifts for complete strangers all over the country thing so Mom calls me all frantic telling me if a complete stranger calls I should answer. As she said, "somebody paid to have this lady flown in to hand deliver your wine". I'm in the middle of baking one chicken and smoking another and have no idea what the hell Mom is yammering on about. I figured this was it,Mom had finally lost it. Well just then call waiting beeps in and the caller ID says Leah Smith. Of course I answer and she introduces herself as the wife of winemaker Mike Smith and she is en route with a gift. Well needless to say she arrived a few minutes later with our gift. We had a brief conversation. Our three year old informed Leah that Santa lives at the North Pole and then Leah was on her way. She and her daughter were in town for an event at the Omaha Wine Company.....so no my SS did not pay round trip airfare for Leah to deliver the wine 😂 God bless my parents!
I was caught so off guard I didn't even think to snap a picture with Leah.
I have never had a Mike Smith wine but am certainly aware of his many different labels and am excited to try it!
I have obviously known what my wine is for several weeks but did not start sleuthing till late last night, I play by the rules ya know. Leah admitted my SS was a client of theirs and one held in high regard. So I'm looking for somebody with a serious stash of Mike's wines. Mr Dontime's cellar is private.....hmmmmm. I do notice though, Don,that you speak highly and often of Mike Smith and his wines and also notice you are a volume purchaser!

So Dontime might you be my SS?

Yes Chris, I am your SS. When I start looking for local vendors to use for your wine I checked the Omaha Wine Company and found that Leah was involved in a tasting that coming weekend. That gave me the idea - but I had no idea that she would actually deliver the wine personally. My plan was for her to have Mike sign a bottle and then deliver it to John(?) at Omaha Wine Company who would gift wrap it for presentation to you. I spent some time on the phone with John explaining the shenanigans we at CT undertake yearly for SS. Then a few emails with Leah who was more than willing to help. Little did I know that her help included personal delivery. When I found out that she did, I figured that the gift wrap part of the plan had gone amiss. And I apologize for that. But I hope you enjoy the wine and the keepsake signed bottle. It looked like you had a lot of Napa Cab in your cellar, so hopefully you'll find Mike's juice to you liking. Merry Christmas!

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to ern1)
Post #: 88
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 8:37:04 AM   
mqvn

Just got around to opening mine today, as yesterday was quite busy, even at 7am PST. The drive south to/from Seattle gets worse every year with traffic, it seems... Anyway, opened my package that had been trebucheted (aka hand delivered) to my doorstep,sans any postal markings. Inside, I discovered a bottle of 2000 Haut Bages Liberal. Thank you SS!

< Message edited by mqvn -- 12/10/2017 8:46:34 AM >

(in reply to IzeAgeComing)
Post #: 89
RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa - 12/10/2017 8:40:46 AM   
mc2 wines

quote:

ORIGINAL: Franklin 10

So here’s my guess: MC2, are you my 2017 Secret Santa?

Ding ding ding!!! Yes, we are your SS

Really hope you enjoy the wines. It looked like you were a fan of Diamond Creek and aged Cali, so an older vintage seemed to make sense. And Progeny is not a lot of people's radar, but is very high quality and sounded like it would fit with your tasting notes (it's a favorite of ours). Figured that might be a giveaway as I think we are all of the notes for those wines, but they are quite good (both are really made to age or need a LONG decant).

Best wishes and happy holidays to you and your family!

< Message edited by mc2 wines -- 12/10/2017 8:47:53 AM >

(in reply to Franklin 10)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: GOOD SANTAS REVEAL DAY- 2017 US CT Secret Santa Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI