CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Aglianico pairing ideas?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Aglianico pairing ideas? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Aglianico pairing ideas? - 12/13/2017 12:49:31 PM   
bretrooks

I've got a 2010 Feudi di San Gregorio Taurasi Riserva Piano di Montevergine lined up for our wine club get-together this weekend, and I just realized that 1) I only have about two hours of total cooking time available on the day of the event (during which time my wife's dish will be in the oven at 375), and 2) I'll be otherwise occupied starting mid-afternoon on the day before, too.

That means I either need a dish I can cook relatively quickly (i.e. on the grill or stovetop) OR I need something I can finish 24+ hours ahead of time and then reheat. The easy way out would be to put a hunk of cow on the grill that afternoon or maybe do something like skewers, but I'm wanting to explore other options. I'd say my cooking skill level is probably a solid "medium."

So - given these constraints, what types of recipes would you be looking at?

(Tim, you had this wine earlier this year...any wisdom?)

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar
Post #: 1
RE: Aglianico pairing ideas? - 12/13/2017 1:12:23 PM   
barolo300

Do a slow boar/lamb ragu. Aglianico can easily match the richness and the tannin and acid combo needs that mix of tomato and or rich wine sauce

Just imo

Barolo and Burgs, Claret and Cali, Priorat and Prum... yum! https://hookandfordwines.com/

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 2
RE: Aglianico pairing ideas? - 12/13/2017 1:30:57 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: barolo300

Do a slow boar/lamb ragu.

Ragu makes that flavor? Wow, that's cool!

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to barolo300)
Post #: 3
RE: Aglianico pairing ideas? - 12/13/2017 1:44:19 PM   
Wine_Strategies

consider braising some pork, or lamb - better when done a day or two ahead of time, anyway. Don't go wild with the flavors, that's a pretty tame wine (relative to other vintages, etc.). I'd double decant the wine in the morning, leaving it in decanter for an hour or so, then back in the bottle and serve later, at around 65F. You'll have lots of fun.

Tim

https://ItalianWine.Smugmug.com

https://www.italianwine.blog

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 4
RE: Aglianico pairing ideas? - 12/13/2017 3:00:01 PM   
Eddie

Make lamb meatballs a day ahead, and then reheat them in a good garlicky tomato sauce.

(in reply to Wine_Strategies)
Post #: 5
RE: Aglianico pairing ideas? - 12/13/2017 3:29:16 PM   
Wine_Strategies

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eddie

Make lamb meatballs a day ahead, and then reheat them in a good garlicky tomato sauce.

with this particular bottling, i'd eschew garlic and stick with plenty of fresh herbs, instead. Lamb meatballs is a great idea; par-bake the night (or two) before, finish them off just prior to serving.

Tim

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 6
RE: Aglianico pairing ideas? - 12/13/2017 4:02:46 PM   
barolo300

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

Do a slow boar/lamb ragu.

Ragu makes that flavor? Wow, that's cool!

I don’t know what this is. It needs to disappear

< Message edited by barolo300 -- 12/13/2017 4:03:03 PM >

Barolo and Burgs, Claret and Cali, Priorat and Prum... yum! https://hookandfordwines.com/

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 7
RE: Aglianico pairing ideas? - 12/13/2017 6:15:31 PM   
vinopkm

Braise some dead animal and then do flat bread or pizza on the grill.

Braised meat, some carmelized onions or shallots, aged provolone cheese and some greens...

(in reply to barolo300)
Post #: 8
RE: Aglianico pairing ideas? - 12/13/2017 6:55:04 PM   
Wine_Strategies

quote:

ORIGINAL: vinopkm

Braise some dead animal and then do flat bread or pizza on the grill.

Braised meat, some carmelized onions or shallots, aged provolone cheese and some greens...

not the most elegant suggestion/wording, but yes, this works, for the 2010

Tim

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 9
RE: Aglianico pairing ideas? - 12/13/2017 10:19:25 PM   
bretrooks

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Barolo300, boar isn't readily available here, although I wish it was...I've enjoyed it the couple of times I've had it (always in sausage form).

Lamb ragu or meatballs sounds like a good idea, but there's not much lamb here either, particularly ground. Whole Foods may be the only place in town with ground lamb...and since we're pretty maxed out schedulewise over the next few days, I may or may not make it out there. I improvised a tasty braised pork dish last weekend, so if I don't make it out for lamb, maybe I'll do a modified version of that.

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to Wine_Strategies)
Post #: 10
RE: Aglianico pairing ideas? - 12/13/2017 10:51:21 PM   
jmcmchi

Bretrooks

you should be able to find Australian lamb in Costco

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 11
RE: Aglianico pairing ideas? - 12/14/2017 5:34:16 AM   
lockestep

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmcmchi

Bretrooks

I have always found the Australian lamb (at least what makes it to the East Coast) to be significantly gamier in taste than domestic.
I know you are pressed for time, but are there any local farm co-ops close to you? You might find good quality lamb there.

My Wine of the Month (2/24)
2016 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 12
RE: Aglianico pairing ideas? - 12/14/2017 5:56:57 AM   
barolo300

quote:

ORIGINAL: bretrooks

Barolo300, boar isn't readily available here, although I wish it was...I've enjoyed it the couple of times I've had it (always in sausage form).

Lamb ragu or meatballs sounds like a good idea, but there's not much lamb here either, particularly ground. Whole Foods may be the only place in town with ground lamb...and since we're pretty maxed out schedulewise over the next few days, I may or may not make it out there. I improvised a tasty braised pork dish last weekend, so if I don't make it out for lamb, maybe I'll do a modified version of that.

For lamb ragu i use the shanks, braise them down in wine for 2-3 hours with a base of onion, carrot, celery, rosemary etc etc and then when it all falls apart i simmer it down. Yummu

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 13
RE: Aglianico pairing ideas? - 12/14/2017 10:09:00 AM   
bretrooks

quote:

ORIGINAL: lockestep

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmcmchi

Bretrooks

I have always found the Australian lamb (at least what makes it to the East Coast) to be significantly gamier in taste than domestic.
I know you are pressed for time, but are there any local farm co-ops close to you? You might find good quality lamb there.

I've found the same applies to lamb at our Costco. It's a bit gamier than I prefer, which means that it's much gamier than my wife prefers...which is a big part of why I don't make it that often. There is a local co-op somewhere that I've heard about but have never been to. I'll have to see where I have time to stop between now and Saturday morning.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bretrooks

For lamb ragu i use the shanks, braise them down in wine for 2-3 hours with a base of onion, carrot, celery, rosemary etc etc and then when it all falls apart i simmer it down. Yummu

Mmm... I haven't made lamb in quite a while, and I do miss it. I'm going to have to make something like this soon, whether I can get to it this weekend or not.

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 14
RE: Aglianico pairing ideas? - 12/14/2017 10:25:56 AM   
Eddie

We buy lamb from a local friend (well, 50 miles away) who produces what is absolutely the best lamb I've ever eaten. It's never gamy, and so tender one could almost eat it with only a spoon. And talk about a pairing for Burgundy....holy cow! (er....sheep.) And we have a whole freezer full!

She's a very small producer and the members of our local wine group make up about half of her clientele (the other half being a single restaurant).

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 15
RE: Aglianico pairing ideas? - 12/14/2017 5:09:11 PM   
khmark7

quote:

We buy lamb from a local friend (well, 50 miles away) who produces what is absolutely the best lamb I've ever eaten. It's never gamy, and so tender one could almost eat it with only a spoon. And talk about a pairing for Burgundy....holy cow! (er....sheep.) And we have a whole freezer full!

She's a very small producer and the members of our local wine group make up about half of her clientele (the other half being a single restaurant).

Now that sounds absolutely tasty!! Really enjoy lamb, and rarely grill cow anymore because of this.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 16
RE: Aglianico pairing ideas? - 12/14/2017 8:20:35 PM   
jmcmchi

My wife and I disagree on lamb. She likes Welsh, i have found nothing better than New Zealand - they tend to be around a third smaller than most others

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 17
RE: Aglianico pairing ideas? - 12/15/2017 4:45:25 AM   
Eddie

When we were in New Zealand, we ate a lot of lamb, and the cuts were about twice the size of the lamb cuts we get from our friend. She farms on hilly ground with thin soil, and really struggles to get the lambs to market weight.

Part of this also may have to do with the sheep varieties produced in the two areas. Here, our hot, humid growing season puts a lot of parasite pressure on wool sheep, so farmers have taken to raising hair sheep (Dorpers, in the case of our friend), which are small breeds. Even when farmers here did raise wool sheep, they raised mostly Southdowns. In New Zealand, they raise larger breeds like Romney and Corriedale.

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 18
RE: Aglianico pairing ideas? - 12/15/2017 8:01:15 AM   
jmcmchi

I'll have to look out for them....sound just what we are missing

Thanks for the info

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 19
RE: Aglianico pairing ideas? - 12/15/2017 11:17:03 AM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

+1

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 20
RE: Aglianico pairing ideas? - 12/15/2017 11:41:32 AM   
PinotPhile

Agree that lamb would be great. But as an alternative, as not all folks go for lamb, I'd suggest ground lean sirloin or bison for the meatballs.

And, the last time we had Aglianico, I made steak au poivre and both of us agreed the pairing was fab.

Big Red Cheers!

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 21
RE: Aglianico pairing ideas? - 12/18/2017 1:00:34 PM   
bretrooks

Just to follow up on this, here's what I ended up doing:

I went out Saturday morning to the co-op...the only meat they had was in the freezer section and was too expensive. The meat counter at Whole Foods had a good-looking 3 lb. lamb leg shank, so I picked that up and headed home. I browned and braised it in red wine, a little broth, and some mushroom liqueur for ~3 hours with onions/carrots/celery/garlic/wild mushrooms/rosemary/parsley.

I strained the liquid and left it in the fridge overnight. With the time I had the next afternoon, I extended and thickened the liquid I had left, cut the lamb into chunks, and left it on low to heat through.

We made some quick mashed potatoes to go with and very simply glazed a token handful of carrots. I'm pleased with how it came out in the end. The wine pairing worked out well - as Tim described, the Piano di Montevergine was relatively elegant for a Taurasi, but it stood up to the dish as well as I'd hoped. At our get-together, we actually ended up with three lamb dishes - mine plus a lamb meatball dish and a mildly-spicy but flavorful lamb curry.

Here's a photo of the final wine line-up (sans a bonus 2005 Recchia Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Masùa di Jago contributed by one of the guests):

And a good time was had by all...

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 22
RE: Aglianico pairing ideas? - 12/18/2017 2:49:33 PM   
PinotPhile

So, what were the preferred pairings with the lamb?

Cheers!

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 23
RE: Aglianico pairing ideas? - 12/18/2017 4:37:43 PM   
bretrooks

Hard to say...they all worked well in different ways. I'm a little biased towards my own pairing, but really, you wouldn't have gone wrong with any of them.

The lamb pairing following mine was the 2010 Señorio de Sotillo Ribera del Duero Reserva (leathery/oaky with red cherry notes, tasty) with the lamb meatballs, lightly sauced and served with a little crumbly feta and parsley (I think it was a modified version of this NYT recipee). It was subtler than my dish and played well with the tempranillo.

The match between the lamb curry and the 2009 Roger Sabon Châteauneuf-du-Pape was actually pretty great, maybe my favorite, and I say that as someone who finds curries to be pretty hit-or-miss. There were some relatively subtle gamy notes to each which worked well, while the earthy (not hot) curry spices made for a really nice contrast to the CdP's fruit.

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Aglianico pairing ideas? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI