CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: How much would you pay for this meal?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: How much would you pay for this meal? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/17/2018 7:22:28 PM   
Slye

As a general rule I agree mye. I rarely eat bread first thing at the table for exactly that reason.

The bread course at Willows is really the main hearty course. If I remember correctly most of the rest was seafood, vegetables -- I think there might have been some pork, but I don't recall well. Anyway, it really served the purpose of one of the main serious courses.

I would also recommend the wine pairing. I thought they did a really good job, and had some pretty interesting wines with which I was unfamiliar. Curious to hear what you think if you are able to make it work!

(in reply to mye)
Post #: 61
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/17/2018 9:05:14 PM   
mc2 wines

quote:

ORIGINAL: RedRedMoreRed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smaragd

quote:

ORIGINAL: mye

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyDelMar
My wife's family took us to a couple of pricey, French restaurants in Chicago and I always left hungry.

That's really interesting.. what are other people's experience?

For me, I've never left a Michelin star restaurant's tasting menu meal feeling hungry.. in fact i'd say 40% of the time, i'm full and comfortable... 60% of the time i'm so full by dessert i cannot finish the food. I basically eat very little bread now, even tho some bread service can be AMAZING..

AGREE I have been to some very swank places and mostly find they stuff you to the gills --- it's bad, actually. The tasting menu scene in NYC is not well done at all. At all the top restaurants, I've found the tasting portions to be too large by about one bite, and all that adds up to make you feel like a house by the time dessert rolls out. THEN they try and offer you complimentary biscuits or home-made candies and I start to regret the whole evening. They should work on that.

+1

I've done several fine dining tasting menu's and have never left hungry.

Yes, but - I remember a time when that wasn't the case. There was a fancy French restaurant in Princeton which was a town near where I grew up and there were not 'lots' of courses but instead appetizer and entree and entree was like an entree in Europe where it was really not meant to be a main and so one could easily leave hungry. In fact, the joke was you needed a burger on the way home.

It's possible ppl who got that memo took it a bit too far. In NYC with a lot of these good places I leave having consumed the only meal I really need for the day (or three). But different style.

Friends don't let friends wine alone

(in reply to RedRedMoreRed)
Post #: 62
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/18/2018 3:20:06 AM   
S1

About 10 years ago we ate at Cyrus, Doug Keane's place in Healdsburg (Michelin 2*, now closed).
I've never been so stuffed.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 63
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/18/2018 9:12:02 AM   
bacchus

When I see foam I think of spies taking cyanide so i don't want it anywhere near my food.

A Country Gentleman

(in reply to Chip Merlot)
Post #: 64
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: How much would you pay for this meal? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI