CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: 2016 Burgundy Recommendations Under $200?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: 2016 Burgundy Recommendations Under $200? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2016 Burgundy Recommendations Under $200? - 1/19/2018 7:55:37 AM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

I’m with the I’m in the jmcmchi “camp”, but in fact I have never purchased a bottle that was still in my cellar later and worth 10x what I paid, not once. Obviously, if I had simply held some wines I owned back in the 1985 period, many would have appreciated substantially by now, but because I drink my best wines at peak, in fact I didn’t hold any of those.

So my biggest price increases are perhaps more like 1.5x or 2x. And even those aren’t always smart prices, in the sense that sometimes you have a wine that turned out to be a dud, like the 1998 Bonneaux Cuvée Special (a bizarre Rhône red that came out like boiled Amarone). I owned that and tried it a few times, ultimately used up my three bottles. Awful swill, but Robert Parker kept promising that it would turn the corner, until suddenly he accepted that “something was wrong” with the wine. Yet his high scoring and the rarity of the wine caused the price to more than double by the end. I didn’t sell it, though. Too much hassle.

Those folks with the 10x increases? Very lucky people...

A friend of mine sold a case of either 1989 or 1990 Chateau Lafitte Rothschild for $40,000 at the top of the market that we paid $1,200 a case for on futures. I only bought 2nd growths so wasn't able to participate.

I'm not sure what my 1989 and 1990 Leoville Las Cases would have sold for but much more than I paid for it. I've never sold a single bottle of the Bordeaux that I bought because it was worth more for me to drink it. I always looked at these wines as to what I paid for them and not what they were worth. To each his own.

Rick

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 31
RE: 2016 Burgundy Recommendations Under $200? - 1/22/2018 11:43:27 PM   
Robert Pavlovich

Can relate to studying up on Bordeaux and then moving on to Burgundy. Went the same way for me. Diving in to some Bourgogne's with each passing vintage is a good way to get started, getting an idea for the character of the vintage, the producer, and the region in general. Best not to buy too much early on, just let your taste develop. It's a lot more satisfying to own wines that you've keyed in on after years of tasting and experience.

"Blending muddles the message"

-The Burgundian Monks

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 32
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: 2016 Burgundy Recommendations Under $200? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI